Direct TV / fees

We were fed up with ridiculous cable prices and started looking into Direct TV. We asked in advance about cancellation fees and what happens if we move (they told us we have to bring the dish and boxes with us and have them reinstalled at our new home...the contract must continue for 2 years). Ok. Well, to us it was worth the reduction in price (went from a $90/month cable fee to $40/month DIrect TV).

We don't have our box hooked up to a phone line so we need to call in our OnDemand orders or do them online. When we first signed up...we could just go online and download a movie to our DVR. NOW...they require you to buy an $80 internet box so you can download movies via the internet. Ok...so I thought I will just call them. There is now a TRANSACTION FEE to download via the phone. As if that isn't bad enough...there is also now a FEE to talk to a representative! ...and get this, it is a $1.50 fee to talk to the AUTOMATED system and a $5 FEE to talk with a live person!!!

I am FURIOUS!!! I can't imagine how this company is still in business with all these poor business practices. This is the most fraudulent company I have ever dealt with.

I wish I stuck with cable...

I hope this helps some other poor schmuck who is considering switching due to price...because in the end, DIRECT TV COSTS MORE THAN CABLE.

Az

Comments

18th of Feb, 2009

Thinking about moving from Cable to Direct TV DON'T!!!

I went to cancel my cable serivce (TV portion) to be cautioned about Direct TV. As a consumer I thought well they are rivals but a little voice told me to check.

I did, and thank you Comcast (not that you are perfect). I went back and reviewed my "DEAL" and found that what I was going to get was not exactly what would be provided. Additionally I asked about the cancelation fee? New to me, it was never mentioned at the time I signed up for the program.

Just a slip? Don't think so. What I found was that Yes there is a fee, that is anywhere from $20 + dollars and up a month for any un-used service. Oh and the contact is for 2 years, and I was not aware there was even a 2 year contract.

Seems Direct TY forgets to mention that. Additionally when I canceled I found that Direct TY removes your records, so that if you have paid a fee good luck in tracking down you now NON-Existant accout to get your money back.

We finally found mine under the org. service number, but the gentleman who had taken the cancelation call changed the address so that it would never have refunded the credit card amount.

Nice customer service.

Do your self a favor, stay clear of Direct TV. IF you cannot be honest and want to scam at the very start of the deal, imagine what the rest of the service must be like.

• Gi
      30th of Jun, 2009

I called direct tv to cancel my service and surprised to know that I have a contract with them. They never mentioned when I went for connection. They say that if I cancel my account they will charge me 200$ commitment fees. Surprised to see what a loot they are doing with American customers. Their greed is never ending.

I want to pass a message to all the readers that don't go for Direct TV ever. Kind of hidden fees and commitment they charge customers is nothing but loot. I also hate their customer service. Worst service out of all cable service providers.

• Br
      5th of Jul, 2010

Do not get Direct Tv!!! I had service with them and moved. I tried to transfer the service for over a month and everytime they set up an appointment they cancelled on us after sitting here half the day waiting on them. Finally we told them forget it we want the service cancelled. They were supposed to have given us 3 different credits for not having service for over a month and cancelling on us which should have covered the cancellation fee, which I dont think we should have had to pay anyway. Then 4 months later they charged our account over $500 for cancellation fees and monthly service fees! They said we never cancelled the service so we were still getting charged and we owed for cancellation and that we didnt have any credits!! Do not sign up and give them your account number because they will charge you for whatever they want even though it was their fault for not cancelling the service to begin with when we told them to and not applying the credits that they "supposedly" gave us. All they have to say is "sorry, there is nothing we can do, you should have cancelled the service" even though we did!!

• Ro
      5th of Jul, 2010

They said my bill was going to be 49.00 it turned out to be 69.99 then when I stopped service they tried to charge me for 3 dvr boxes I only had one.

They are rude when I tried to talk to them and they would not send me a copy of the signed agreement

I would not recommend them.

• Di
      22nd of Nov, 2011

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree with you! I have had a terrible ordeal with Direct TV..never knowing what my actual bill is. They charge you in advance and turn you off if you won't pay in advance. Who ever heard of a service company charging before they performed the service. Then when the satellite goes off at least 3 times a month...you have paid for a service that you didn't receive. If you inquire about an adjustment to the lack of service, they will inform you that the only adjustments that can be made is if there is technical difficulty on their end...which it never is...They blame it on acts of nature. But watch how attractive and easy they make it to sign on...then just wait for the bill...equipment rental that you think was "free" as part of their sign on deal. For a $29.99 SPECIAL for 12 months = $360.00...So far, I have paid $191.00 per month and we do not order movies nor have any premiums...only 3 more payments to go...then Hello, CABLE! NO DIRECT TV!!! There needs to be a Federal Investigation...UH-OH...we are %#$&ed!!!