Direct TV / deception

Aside from complaining about this company, this write-up should also be considered a serious word of caution for those of you who are thinking of signing up with Direct TV. I have used their services for about a year and nine months and decided to switch to a different company. Direct TV however told me that it would cost me an early disconnection fee of $300 to cancel the service. I was stunned as I thought I could cancel anytime. A customer service took me through a grueling process of explaining and citing where this policy is located. The fact that it was grueling is an indication that it couldn't have been easy for me to decipher this rule on acquiring the service. Sure, I should have gone through that long Terms & Condition thesis with all its fine prints, but the cancellation policy is certainly one of those basic rules that Direct TV could have mentioned among the number of issues that it mentioned verbally. If, for instance, the company would inform you of extra services like maintenance coverage (for profit purposes obviously) then why wouldn't it inform about something as important as cancellation? When I asked Direct TV how long it would take before I could cancel my service, I was informed April 2009. Think about it. From December 2005 till April 2009 I am held hostage by Direct TV except I cough up $300. Please don't make the same mistake that I made!!!

A  20th of Aug, 2007 by
I agree that Directv is a poor company to deal with. I ordered service on the telephone for a studio apartment that I knew was only temporary. When I tried to cancel less than a month later, I was told I was obligated for a $200 cancellation fee which has now grown to $274. I told them that had I know up front that there was a 2 yr contract required that I would not have continued with the order as I knew that my stay at the location was very temporary. I sent a letter to the dispute department and that was followed by a letter from a collection agency before I received a reply from the dispute department. They cannot provide evidence that I was informed of the 2 yr contract and that I agreed to it at the time of the order and still say I owe the cancellation fee. I told them I would not pay but would proceed with a lawyer.

My 2 cents... beware of any "large" company and orders placed on line or through 2nd or 3rd party companies where the fine details are not revealed up front. I believe that large companies "trap" people into contracts just to make money.
A  19th of Sep, 2007 by
They are crooks---lies, deceit, bate and switch--I feel a class action suit coming and would be willing to sign up.

DirecTV Logo DirecTV