Direct TV / bait & switch

1 2230 East Imperial Highway, United States Review updated:
Phone: (212) 462-5200

When I ordered service from DirectTV, the sales representative promised to provide two HD-DVRs, without charge for either. When the installer came a week and half later, I was not home but my wife was. They only install one HD-DVR and one “standard” receiver.

When I called customer service, they said they could not do anything and transferred me to a person, who would only give me the name of Mistah, in the Retention Department. She refused to live up to the initial terms of the deal and, instead, offered to send me a HD-DVR for $130 -- $99 for the unit and about $30 to ship it to me because I did not have that in the initial installation. They claim that the initial order (of which I never received confirmation) was for one HD-DVR and a standard receiver. I asked Mistah to listen to the tape of the call and she claimed that no one had authority to listen to a recording of my initial call with the sales representative.

I sent an email to DirecTV after the call complaining and instead of living up to the offer of their initial sales representative, the representative, a "Brandon C ID 401102" wrote:

"I was able to confirm that you have already spoken with our retention group and we have made an offer that DIRECTV feels to be fair, and will be unable to expand upon this offer.

"Please know that when you call DIRECTV our automated system notifies each customer that 'calls may be recorded for quality assurance purposes.' This does not indicate that all calls are recorded, and the calls that are can only be used to ensure that the call was handled in accordance with DIRECTV guidelines and expectations. These calls cannot be accessed or monitored for any other reason."

Apparently, engaging in bait and switch, lying to prospective customers, and engaging in fraudulent conduct must be viewed as a call that "was handled in accordance with DIRECTV guidelines and expectations." Otherwise, I fail to understand why they made no effort to access the recording of the call (or at least determine whether it was recorded).

It is hard to believe that these people are rated high in customer service. If you decide that you are going to sign up for DirecTV, be forewarned and make sure that you get written confirmation of everything you ordered -- that might help. Of course, companies engaged in fraudulent practices will always do something deceitful, so you might be better off selecting another service – cable or the Dish Network.

Comments

• Cl
      28th of Jan, 2009

We need to start a class action suit help me gather people at [protected]@gmail.com
    my name is Clint

• Cl
      28th of Jan, 2009

It is time to start a Class Action suit against the Bait and Switch tactics of Direct TV the web is loaded with consumers who are being ripped off by this company contact [protected]@gmail.com to help organize.
    Clint

• Ya
      20th of Feb, 2011

This company is a poor excuse in the country. I signed up for Direct TV in Sept 2010 and within 4 days a sales woman called and convinced my wife about a special deal. She did not tell her that you can't go back to the same package when deal is done. My bill just went up $35.00. I asked how much to get out of Direct TV and they tell me $380.00. Holy cow!