DHL / billing errors/fraud

1 TN, United States Review updated:

Potential large-scale shippers need to know this. From the very beginning of DHL service, we had frequent incidents of packages being billed at weights far exceeding their actual weight -- probably averaged one in five, at least. More than once, 30# billing weight for a cardboard carton containing 5# of coffee. More often the difference was smaller (2-5# overbilling). Repeated complaints got nowhere. For a couple of years, a service rep at an intermediary broker company managed to get the errors corrected and the bills amended; then no longer. We were advised to pay the correct (reduced) amount and send DHL an e-mail detailing the errors (this gets a bit tiresome!). Finally, we quit using DHL altogether. Months later, we got a dun from a "settlement agency", with which we worked out (we thought) a settlement. Months after that, a sheaf of "unpaid bills" arrived by fax, together with a letter from a collection agency threatening legal action if we didn't pay at once. Explained the whole affair and told them that if they bothered us any more we were going to consider suing DSL for fraud. A few months later, same deal -- from a different collection agency; same explanation. A few months later, repeat with yet another. I've forgotten just how many, and all has been quiet for several months now; just praying it stays that way! Bottom line: AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!

Comments

• Sm
      4th of Nov, 2009

Without question DHL is one of the worst companies I have ever dealt with. In addition to billing me twice for the same delivery, sending me to collections, recognizing the mistake with an apology (after i demanded) letter, today I received another bill for the same delivery! Unbelievable. I trully didn't think it would be possible to have a service department any more inept then DHL billing and RMS until I spoke with their customer services.

• Se
      22nd of Oct, 2014

I am going through the same situation, I have a calibrated shipping scale and always put in the dimmensions of the package to ensure correct dimmensional weight. This is the only carrier I use that always sends an invoice with outrageous increases in weight. When I called them they seemed surprised that I had a scale and immediately put the note on my account. All I thought is this company has some very fraudulant practices! I caught them red handed and am wondering how many other customers they try this stunt on and do not catch it. BEWARE!