BP Canada / faulty shingles

CT, United States Review updated:

IN 1998 we had our roof redone with shingles by BP Canada. The work was done by a licensed roofing contractor here in Connecticut. Twelve years later we noticed the shingles had begun to crack and peel. We spoke to the roofing contractor who installed the shingles. He said he had heard similar complaints from two other former customers who had shingles on their roof about as long as ours. They submitted complaints and were awarded prorated settlements.

BP denied our claim even though our shingles had the same kind of wear as the two customers who were awarded settlements.

We sent letters to Richard Blumenthal's office in Connecticut, and copied BP. BP returned a letter saying they still stood by their decision that our shingles were not defective.

We are now looking into an independent roofing consultant who, we hope, will be able to test our shingles to give an alternative opinion to that of BP Canada.

It would help us if someone out there could tell us who, in Connecticut, does that sort of work.

E-mail: [protected]@sbcglobal.net

Ge

Comments

• Ga
      2nd of Sep, 2010

Buyer Beware!! Our bad experience with BP Canada:
    My father purchased BP Canada shingles with a 25 year warranty. He lives in Edmonton, Alberta Canada. This is the letter we sent to them in May 2010 to which we have had no reply:

"New shingles were installed on my father's roof by B&B Siding & Roofing Ltd on July 30, 1999. For the past two years, my father has been dealing with B&B regarding his defective shingles (pictures were attached showing the shingles clawing and deteriorating). After frequent requests, a visit was made by representatives from your company, one of them being (name removed). My father was told that a sample would be taken and sent to your laboratory and he would be advised of the results. December 8, 2009 a letter was sent indicating the lab results showed that no deficiencies were found. As there was a slight language barrier, I have now taken over dealing with this issue. On May 11, 2010, I contacted BP at the 1-800 number provided on the card requesting to speak with (name removed) and was told that he was unavailable. I was also told that if I provide the file number, the person on the other end of the phone would try to assist as best as possible. Upon providing the file number, he advised that the file indicated a sample was supposed to be taken and sent to the lab, but wasn't, and that a message would be relayed to (name removed) to address this matter and to return my call. This information completely contradicts the December 8th letter. This is very unprofessional to say the least. To date, I have not as yet received a return call. Regardless, as you can see from the pictures, these shingles would not be acceptable by anybody's standards.

Please accept this letter as a demand to have these shingles replaced and installed at today's market value. If not resolved by June 30, 2010, legal action will commence."

We never received any response.

• W1
      4th of Jun, 2012

Shingles curling and leaking. It keeps telling me photos are too large. So I will send another way.