Bluegreen Resorts / very shady operators

We attended a Bluegreen presentation in Myrtle Beach SC. The initial presenter and the sales staff were very personable. We own three weeks of timeshare, and decided for a couple of reasons to add a fourth. Big mistake.

Upon returning to our condo, I decided for the sake of safety to research some of the claims made by their staff. The had lied in the presentation on at least two important points. Based on that, we cancelled the purchase. I just received our refund check today, and guess what, it was $65 short of the the correct amount.

I should have been more wary when we had to acknowledge not once, but TWICE in the closing that Bluegreen does not stand behind ANY statements made by their sales staff during the sales presentation. I'd never seen a disclaimer like that before in ANY type of purchasing, even used cars! LOL

The dealbreaker for us is that they made a point no fewer than three times of promising in the sales presentation that they had NEVER had a special assessment charged to owners, and never would. I found out quickly with a minimum of Google effort that the very Monday of the week we attended their presentation on the following Thursday, they had a special assessment at one of the properties of no less than $1600. I found further record of at least two other recent special assessments. To compare, at our primary property, where we have owned for 24 years, we have indeed had zero special assessments, and two hurricanes have breezed by it in those years.

By the way, the "Free Cruise" that we were given to attend the presentation is not free at all. We later learned that it costs a minimum of $200 per person, and the costs can go up from there.

These guys wouldn't know the truth if it bit them HARD upon the ***. Do NOT agree to go to their sales presentations, and definitely DO NOT buy anything from them. You'll be sorry.

Vr

Comments

• Lo
      8th of May, 2011

I have been an Owner for 8 yrs and only paid $75 in SA and that was for the refurb of Lacabana BRC in Aruba (Bluegreen owns around 25% of that resort) The sa you are talking about are in a different trust fund than the points you were being asked to buy
    So it appears that you should also check your facts before making such false statements

• Ir
      26th of May, 2011

Glad I saw these posts. They are always trying to sell themselves at Bass Pro Shop and follow you around. It sounded like a good deal, but I figured it was too good to be true.

• Ir
      26th of May, 2011

I got sucked into seeing a timeshare in Orlando FL during my vacation. It was a waste of my entire day and exhausting. The only good thing that came out of it was free coffee and discounted Blue Man tickets.