Bell Mobility / excessive data and roaming charges

1 Canada Review updated:

I visited the States in the summer over a 3 day period. I have an HTC Touch phone that does not require me to have a data plan in Canada in order to use this feature. I was shocked to see my bill the next month with over $450 of data charges, and $100 in roaming charges. This is for a trip that lasted 3 days

I phoned customer service a number of times over the next month, hoping to get a reasonable customer service representative on the phone

Essentially I was told that I needed to have a data plan, and because I didn't have one, I was charged an outrageous rate per data. They said I should have called them in advance to inquire about the cost of data in the US before I left the country. Well, I didn't think of this, because I don't pay for data with my phone in Canada.

I asked what customer service could do to help me out, such as give me a rate based on an existing data plan. They all but laughed in my face. I asked what it would cost to cancel my contract and they said $360

I find this situation completely outrageous. The customer service agents were arrogant, rude, blamed me the customer for my ignorance and were happy to just have me cancel my plan over this. Nice customer service

Never again

Comments

• Tr
      31st of Jan, 2010

The data charges are $51.20 per mb in Canada. My daughter has a phone without a data plan. Now mind you it costs $10 a month for unlimted data usage in a plan. Even 3 cents per MB for data above the 500 MB on my own plan.

The excessive charges are so unethical I consider it theft.

The point of them is to scare u into a data plan contract.

51.20 per mb is unreal.

Bell should be fined by the government for this abuse.

And yes I am bound to them in a contract worse than marriage.
    3 more years. Ha ha.

For what? A discount on a phone.

Bell is doomed. Their bullying tactics are going to be their demise.

• At
      25th of May, 2010

Totally agree. How Canadian companies can surivive while labouring under this sort of 'competitive disadvantage' is beyond me. As someone who recently arrived from the UK I can hardly believe the reactionary companies the Canadian government still allows to operate as virtual monopolies in this country - makes you wonder whose pockets their corporate earning might be lining?

CR