BB&T / overdraft fees!

1 VA, United States Review updated:

BB&T and the overdraft fees that are charged are unbelievable! I made mistake, and yes overdrew my account a few dollars earlier this week...unaware of it I used my debit card several times for small purchases, eardrops for my son, a loaf of bread and a bag of chips, $10 in gas, etc...by the time I became aware of what had happened I had 7 overdraft fees charged to my account for a total of $245. Yes, I made a mistake but why wasn't my debit card declined? Why wasn't there some safeguard in place? I asked the relationship banker why after my account was in the negative on Monday, I was able to use my debit card on Tuesday, and Wednesday...she stated that the card is not declined as a "courtesy"...a courtesy..to who...it certainly was not to me! I asked if there was a way to reverse a few of the 7 fees charged, and was told "there's nothing I can do." On top of everything else...if the account was not brought to a zero balance by Sunday...there would be a $30 fee added to the account! Unfreakingbelievable! My father loaned me the money to zero the account.I closed my checking account, and my children's savings accounts! They lost not 1 but 3 customers due to their "courteous" behavior. There is no reason for a bank to be so GREEDY!

Je

Comments

Cr
  6th of Apr, 2009

I agree 100%. I used my debit card for an online transaction. BB&T charged me .50 cents and because I only had the exact amount of the transaction I made I was not aware that I had gone over .50 cents. I now have an $85.00 overdraft fee because this happened twice and they charged me the $30.00 one week fee for not paying the over draft fee before the weeks was up. They said they could credit me $17.00 as a curtisy. Why can they not just credit me a $1.00 so I would not have had any overdraft fees?!

Da
  7th of Jul, 2009

Anyone interested in participating in a class action suit against BB&T please contact me.

David Benson