Menu
USAA Customer Service Phone, Email, Contacts

USAA
reviews & complaints

www.usaa.com

Learn how the rating is calculated

1.6 565 Reviews

USAA Complaints Summary

91 Resolved
470 Unresolved
Our verdict: With USAA's very poor resolution rate, careful consideration is needed. Research their service comprehensively, and read up on how they handle customer disputes. If you face issues, be prepared for potential challenges in obtaining resolutions and explore other service providers as backups.
Verified
The authenticity of the customer service contact information for USAA has been meticulously verified by representatives from ComplaintsBoard using our proprietary verification system.
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of USAA. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
Claim Your Business
Take control of your profile: address complaints and engage with reviews
File a complaint

Newest USAA reviews & complaints

J
12:43 pm EST

USAA - Unsatisfactory property insurance settlement

28 August 2023, we experienced a broken water pipe and notified USAA insurance. Our claim was started and we could not have been happier with how the claim was settled. Roto-Rooter in Huntsville, AL did the water cleanup and remediation and USAA paid them in full with no issues. Unfortunately, on 28 September 2023, we experienced another broken water pipe...

L
8:47 pm EST
Verified customer This review was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

USAA USAA auto insurance is a joke!

How far (USAA) has fallen in such a short period.

They use to have world-class customer service. Now they have a cumbersome and error prone voice answering system that does its best to keep you from reaching a real associate.

They were always expensive but provided world class service and providers. Now contract providers work on your car with few options. Anything different, such as using your dealership, means total out of pocket and hopefully get refunded later.

Their prices use to be somewhat competitive. Now, they are 40% more expensive than GEICO for the exact same coverage. GEICO does work with your car dealer by the way.

I tell all my friends to spend their insurance funds elsewhere for better auto insurance, more competitive services, and much better customer service.

11:33 pm EST

USAA Service

called in several time to check the status of my mailed out debit card and to unlock my credit card. Waited on the phone over an hour only to be hung up on. called in 6 times to be only put on hold for over an hour each time. This is unacceptable waiting that long. Your authentication is not just 2 but 3 or more. Need to speed that up once we put in our SS# and pin#. that's to much do 2 and that's it. If I call in again and get disconnected for whatever reason. I will close all my accounts with you and go to the next bank.

Confidential Information Hidden: This section contains confidential information visible to verified USAA representatives only. If you are affiliated with USAA, please claim your business to access these details.

Is USAA legit?

Our verdict: Complaints Board's thorough examination reveals USAA as a legitimate entity with notable strengths. Despite a 16% resolution rate on customer complaints, which invites a closer look, USAA stands out for its commitment to quality and security. Clients considering USAA should delve into its customer service record to gauge compatibility with their expectations.

USAA earns 91% level of Trustworthiness

Perfect Trust Endorsement: USAA achives 91% ligitmacy per Complaints Board. Highly recommended, yet always stay vigilant.

We found clear and detailed contact information for USAA. The company provides a physical address, 11 phone numbers, and 2 emails, as well as 4 social media accounts. This demonstrates a commitment to customer service and transparency, which is a positive sign for building trust with customers.

Usaa.com has a valid SSL certificate, which indicates that the website is secure and trustworthy. Look for the padlock icon in the browser and the "https" prefix in the URL to confirm that the website is using SSL.

Our scan shows USAA website is free from malware and phishing activities, which are types of online threats that can include viruses, worms, Trojan horses, ransomware, and other malicious code, as social engineering tactics used to trick users into sharing their personal information.

Usaa.com has been deemed safe to visit, as it is protected by a cloud-based cybersecurity solution that uses the Domain Name System (DNS) to help protect networks from online threats.

Usaa.com you are considering visiting, which is associated with USAA, is very old. Longevity often suggests that a website has consistently provided valuable content, products, or services over the years and has maintained a stable user base and a sustained online presence. This could be an indication of a very positive reputation.

USAA website is deemed to be popular and indicating that it receives a high volume of traffic. It is important to be cautious when using a highly trafficked website, as it may be a target for cybercriminals looking to exploit vulnerabilities or steal personal information.

However ComplaintsBoard has detected that:

• While USAA has a high level of trust, our investigation has revealed that the company's complaint resolution process is inadequate and ineffective. As a result, only 16% of 561 complaints are resolved. The support team may have poor customer service skills, lack of training, or not be well-equipped to handle customer complaints.
  • There was some difficulty in evaluating or examining the information or data present on the usaa.com. This could be due to technical issues, limited access, or website may be temporarily down for maintenance or experiencing technical difficulties.
  • USAA protects their ownership data, a common and legal practice. However, from our perspective, this lack of transparency can impede trust and accountability, which are essential for establishing a credible and respected business entity.
  • We conducted a search on social media and found several negative reviews related to USAA. These reviews may indicate issues with the company's products, services, or customer support. It is important to thoroughly research the company and its offerings before making any purchases to avoid any potential risks.
T
8:28 pm EST

USAA Hold placed on a $365.21check

I deposited a check electronically for the above amount. I suffered an injury at my employ. This check was the first and desperately needed amount. I deposited it so I would be able to get my life altering medication. But no! Instead, with no way to reverse the deposit, you saw fit to put a 9 day hold on my inconsequential amount. $365.21 is a pittance to your company, but to me, that was a life raft. So, now I am closing my recently opened bank accounts and most likely my insurance policy. You, to a man are despicable. You don’t care about your customers or servicemen. I will also be making my experience with your organization a social media post on every viable platform. You care nothing for your customers. Congratulations

Desired outcome: I was told the hold cannot be lifted on my $365.21 fortune that may break your company. I simply want it released. You lost a customer because of a ridiculous 9 day hold for $365.21.

J
2:16 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

USAA - No help from fraud department, victim of romance/nigerian scam

I fell victim to a romance scam and begged USAA for help for months. Attached is the order of the fraud transactions. I did not realize I was being scammed until it was too late and USAA dismissed me like I was the person committing the fraud. Due to this fraud, I lost my entire USAA banking relationship of almost 14 years. My checking and savings account...

G
7:46 am EST

USAA USAA does not support veterans it's a LIE

Can't get ahold of a LIVE person, if I don't have my phone which it broke I cannot update or pay my bills, I can't add a car on my insurance. The Authentication USAA uses is horrible! Everything is tied to your phone number even though I answered every security question and since I cannot receive a text from this horrible company I am stuck! Every time USAA claims it supports veterans I want to throw up how fake this company is!

V
2:55 pm EST

USAA - Auto claims service

I had an accident January 7th, 2024in my 2023 Nissan Sentra. When the local Nissan Dealership called me to discuss, they said that USAA farmed out my claim to another company, and they would only cover used or non-OEM parts... They also informed me that using these parts would void my factory (3 year, 36,000 mile) bumper to bumper warranty, and if I didn't...

D
2:03 am EST
Verified customer This review was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

USAA Avoid This Dishonest Insurance Company

Review:

I had the unfortunate experience of dealing with USAA after my daughter's car accident. I cannot stress enough how dishonest and deceitful their tactics have been throughout the entire claims process.

To provide some context, my daughter had just purchased her first car, which she saved up for two long years to finally purchase. She was driving cautiously and responsibly when the USAA insured driver ran a stop sign, causing a severe collision. It was a traumatic experience for her, with both physical and emotional consequences.

Despite clear evidence indicating their insured driver's fault, multiple USAA adjusters shamelessly turned the tables on my daughter, blaming her for the collision in order to evade their responsibility to repair her vehicle. Their conduct was appalling, taking advantage of a young, trusting (in honesty is the best policy) driver and attempting to shirk their financial obligations.

Throughout the claims process, USAA consistently demonstrated a complete disregard for their duty to act in good faith. They utilized deceptive tactics and attempted to intimidate and manipulate my daughter into accepting liability for an accident that was clearly not her fault. They used every trick in the book to avoid covering the repair costs, effectively robbing her of the money she had spent so long diligently saving in order to purchase her first car ( having purchased less than 2 weeks before USAA insured failing to yeild right of way, ran a stop sign causing the collision).

Furthermore, when we attempted to discuss the situation with their representatives, we were met with condescending attitudes and dismissive behavior. They lacked basic empathy and failed to address our concerns, leaving us feeling unheard and betrayed.

The lasting impact of this ordeal on my daughter's confidence and trust cannot be overstated. It is disheartening to witness an insurance company, whose primary purpose is to provide reliable coverage, resort to such corrupt practices to avoid fulfilling their obligations.

I strongly caution anyone seeking insurance coverage to steer clear of USAA. Their lack of integrity, their dishonesty, and outright manipulation make them unfit to be trusted with providing genuine care and financial protection in the event of an accident. Save yourself the headaches, frustration, and potentially devastating financial consequences—look elsewhere for a reputable insurance provider

5:59 pm EST

USAA - Car financing

On 11/11/23 USAA received approximately a $10,600 check to cover the cost of my Jeep patriot. On November 21 I received a call from usaa stating there was an endorsement error on the check and the check would be returned to me for correction. Today, 12/29/23, 1 month after they promised me I’d receive the check to sign in the correct location I have still...

6:35 pm EST

USAA - Auto rental charges

Was involved in accident on 10-22-23. Not my fault other driver at fault insured by Usaa police called at fault driver summoned to court .called Usaa reported accident.was giving Adj phone no. Ext.called said would call me back in 1 business day...7 days later no call back.got copy of police report and damage est.had my ins.broker who sent it to...

M
12:29 pm EST

USAA auto insurance

I am simply trying to add a car to my auto policy and HAVE TO HAVE Comprehensive IN ORDER TO GET Collison...? The car is paid off and this makes zero sense. ALL I WANT IS TO ADD A CAR WITH COLLISION AND NO ONE CAN DO THIS OR TELL ME WHY...No one there can tell me why and reps just hang up on you when confronted. HAVE HAD USAA FOR YEARS AND DROPPING THEM LIKE BAD HABIT ATER MULTIPLE FAILED ATTEMPTS ON THE SIMPLEST OF ISSUES.

Desired outcome: I WANT TO TALK TO SOMEONE ABOUT WHO IS COMPETENT AND WONT HANG UP ON YOU HEN CONFRONTED

5:31 pm EST

USAA Auto insurance claim

My name is Roger Stokes... Request assistance to clear up this matter for good! I have attempted multiple direct contacts with USAA claims manager or any representative with NO SUCCESS!.  Claim Number 006998333000000801001

I was involved in an auto accident due to a Tornado that occurred on 6/16/23 in Marshall, Texas and the insurance company USA declared the vehicle a total loss. The USA Auto Claim is: [protected]-801 and the Safe-Guard GAP claim is: Claim #[protected]. The Marshal Texas Police Department case/incident number is: 23-13797.

As of today, Tuesday 11/21/23, Safe-Guard Products International LLC. [protected]), GAP Auto Claim [protected] indicated “We are currently still pending an Insurance Company Evaluation, a Cause of Loss Letter, and a Settlement Breakdown that matches the Settlement Check."An email to USAA and Safe-Guard Insurance dated Thu 11/9/23;

I wrote, The below reflect a closure for the Total Loss of the 2020 Audi A6, Account #[protected]. As 11/9/2023 according to the information provided via the Capital One the Principle amount owed is $36,159.99 and the payoff amount is $36,279.00.  A USAA insurance claim payment of $35,817.66 was provided on 11/1/2023.  A Safe-Guard GAP insurance claim payment of $2,2329.00 was issued 11/9/2023.  The total payment received, per the information is $38,146.66.  With the total loss payments received of $38,146.66 and the Capital One Payoff amount of $36,279.00 provides for a $1,867.66 difference. How is the difference of $1,867.66 allocated?

An email dated 11/10/23;

The Company Title Express indicated"... it shows that the payoff to Capital One was $39,266.12. Since this was more than the settlement amount, Capital One sent us a Letter of Guarantee advising that they will release the title to USAA upon receipt of the settlement amount of $34,647.00."

Desired outcome: I would like immediate coordination and necessary payments to finalize conclusion of this claim.

5:08 pm EST

USAA Auto insurance

My daughter was involved in an accident that was not her fault. USAA's investigation has also agreed that the fault was the other driver. My daughter has two small children and no car since May. She took her car in to get an estimate for the repairs. Months went by. USAA stopped paying for a rental and left my daughter owing $800. USAA decided to total the car (only cosmetic damage) when she wanted the car back USAA had it junked. So they have not paid her claim and she is still making car payments.

Calling the adjuster has been no help at all. Both hea nd his supervisor never seem to be in their office and the "We will return your call in less than 4 hours" has never happened.

Claimed loss: $800 for rental and $1800 for additional car payments plus $1200 for Uber and rentals since she has no vehicle

Desired outcome: I need a car to be able to work

D
4:30 pm EST

USAA - Checking

I used to use USAA for banking (checking & savings), insurance (home, auto, boat) and investments. Then USAA sold my investment account to the finance bros at Victory Capital and I was down to banking and insurance. Today, there was an issue with the endorsement of two five-figure checks from a real estate transaction that I deposited on a Sunday night...

4:11 am EST

USAA - Car insurance

Hello my name is Ebonie Metz and I have been with Usaa for over an decade now I recently run into a situation where I was told by one of your workers that I didn’t need to pay a bill on my car insurance until December I was payed up I was very happy to hear this news because I am a single mother and I have been falling short on bills …I go into my account...

M
9:49 am EST

USAA Auto loan

One of my auto loans with USAA was sold to a 3rd party without my consent and knowledge as a charged off bad debt. Not only does this violates my privacy but this is after me calling several times speaking with an agent and also after sending a later about a billing dispute in-which the contract shouldn’t have been sent to a third party if my letter was acknowledged and stated that USAA did not credit my account(s) from the dividend payment(s) that they made off of my Treasury coupon via the electronic funds law transfer of the interest on my Treasury coupon.

Desired outcome: I would like to tender all FRN’s that I have given to date along with updates to my consumer report. I would like all funds, securities to go through my TDA account first the correct way I would like to request if I can an open line cc.

2:59 pm EST

USAA Foremost Insurance Group

USAA is my account, I opened it and have been a member for years.

I got divorced from William P. Droste on 08/02/2023; the divorce papers state that he had 60 days to refinance the property at 5671 W. Abrigo Drive, Golden Valley, AZ 86413 or it would be sold. He was able to refinance property and remove my VA certificate and name from property and all bills associated with property.

However, Foremost Insurance Group for the manufactured home on this property is still showing up on my USAA insurance page. I have spent hours on the phone with USAA and Foremost to get it off my USAA account. It shows William Droste as the Named Insured, so WHY is it on my USAA insurance page?

I want it removed. I can provide copy of divorce papers and his closing disclosure if required.

Claimed loss: My SANITY!

Desired outcome: Remove this account from my USAA account insurance page.

F
4:16 pm EST

USAA Fraud Department

I was subjected to a fraudulent check that i foolishly deposited into one of my USAA account on August 21, 2023. I informed USAA of the issue, got a "tongue-lashing" from the Fraud Department and then never heard back. Apparently, I should have received an email with my case number and my next steps...nothing. I've contacted the USAA Fraud Department with a couple of phone calls, most of which I never spoke to anyone based on a long hold. I've sent letters and supporting documentation on how USAA ended up overdrawing my account by taking back the entire amount of the check amount that was returned. I was offered a portion of the check right away and I understand being held accountable for that portion, but USAA took the entire amount of the check out of my account instead of the amount that I "used." I'm exhausted with trying to get a call back to discuss options. Nevertheless, I'm moving my military benefits to another institution.

A
4:56 pm EDT

USAA CD Beneficiary

I purchase multiple CDs throughout the years and you are the only bank, out of my 6 banks, which is not equipped to designate a beneficiary on line after purchasing the CD. You are totally on line for banking service and are behind in customer service with this process. Ridiculous to scan the beneficiary form for these multiple CDs and send them to the banking Department. Recommend you update your system to allow designating a beneficiary when we purchase the CD.

JOHN GRISSETT(Member Over 50 Years)

11:12 am EDT

USAA auto insurance

Have left messages for claims dept for 5 days now and no one will call back

Keenan adjuster ext 33835

joslyn claim manager ext 34442

evrey day at least twice a day i leave a message

when i call in and ask for someone else they foward me back to keenan and joslyn

Today is november 2nd 2023

I started calling october 26 2023 and still no call backs

USAA In-depth Review

Overview of USAA: USAA is a reputable financial institution that offers a wide range of products and services to its members. With a focus on serving military members and their families, USAA has built a strong reputation for its commitment to customer service and support.

Membership and Eligibility: USAA membership is available to active, retired, and honorably discharged military personnel, as well as their eligible family members. This includes spouses, children, and widows/widowers of military members. Membership eligibility is also extended to cadets and midshipmen at U.S. service academies.

Products and Services Offered: USAA offers a comprehensive suite of financial products and services, including banking, insurance, investments, mortgages, and loans. Members can access a variety of checking and savings accounts, credit cards, auto loans, and home loans, as well as investment and retirement services.

Customer Service and Support: USAA is known for its exceptional customer service and support. Members have access to a dedicated team of representatives who are available 24/7 to assist with any questions or concerns. USAA also provides online resources, including FAQs and educational materials, to help members make informed financial decisions.

Online and Mobile Banking Experience: USAA offers a user-friendly online and mobile banking experience. Members can easily manage their accounts, transfer funds, pay bills, and deposit checks using the USAA website or mobile app. The platform also provides access to financial tools and resources to help members track their spending and savings goals.

Insurance Coverage and Policies: USAA is well-known for its insurance offerings, including auto, home, renters, and life insurance. Members can customize their coverage to meet their specific needs and take advantage of competitive rates and discounts. USAA's insurance policies are highly rated for their comprehensive coverage and excellent claims service.

Investment and Retirement Services: USAA provides a range of investment and retirement services to help members plan for their financial future. From individual retirement accounts (IRAs) to mutual funds and managed portfolios, USAA offers a variety of investment options to suit different risk tolerances and goals.

Mortgage and Home Loan Options: USAA offers competitive mortgage and home loan options for members looking to purchase or refinance a home. With flexible terms and low interest rates, USAA provides members with the tools and resources they need to navigate the homebuying process with confidence.

Auto Loans and Financing: USAA offers auto loans and financing options for members looking to purchase a new or used vehicle. With competitive rates and flexible terms, USAA makes it easy for members to get behind the wheel of their dream car.

Credit Cards and Rewards Programs: USAA offers a variety of credit cards with competitive interest rates and rewards programs. Members can earn cash back, travel rewards, and other perks for their everyday purchases.

Financial Planning and Advice: USAA provides members with access to financial planning and advice services. Whether members are looking to create a budget, save for retirement, or plan for major life events, USAA's financial advisors can provide personalized guidance and recommendations.

Security and Privacy Measures: USAA prioritizes the security and privacy of its members' information. The institution employs advanced encryption and authentication measures to protect against unauthorized access. USAA also offers additional security features, such as two-factor authentication and identity theft protection.

Pricing and Fees: USAA strives to offer competitive pricing and transparent fee structures for its products and services. Members can review the terms and conditions of each product to understand any associated fees or charges.

Accessibility and Convenience: USAA provides members with convenient access to their accounts and services. With a robust online and mobile banking platform, members can manage their finances from anywhere at any time. USAA also has a network of ATMs and partner banks for easy cash withdrawals and deposits.

Reputation and Trustworthiness: USAA has built a strong reputation for its commitment to its members and their financial well-being. With high customer satisfaction ratings and a long history of serving the military community, USAA is widely regarded as a trustworthy and reliable financial institution.

Pros and Cons: Pros of USAA include its exceptional customer service, comprehensive product offerings, and commitment to the military community. However, some potential cons may include limited membership eligibility and availability of physical branch locations.

Conclusion and Recommendation: Overall, USAA is a highly recommended financial institution for military members and their families. With its wide range of products and services, exceptional customer service, and commitment to the military community, USAA is a trusted partner for all of your financial needs.

How to file a complaint about USAA?

1. Log in or create an account: Ensure you are logged in to your ComplaintsBoard.com account. If you do not have an account, please register by providing the necessary information in the sign-up form.

2. Navigating to the complaint form: Once logged in, locate the 'File a Complaint' button situated at the top right corner of the website and click on it to access the complaint form.

3. Writing the title: In the 'Complaint Title' field, concisely summarize the main issue you have encountered with USAA. Make it specific and clear, such as "Unauthorized Account Charges at USAA" or "USAA Insurance Claim Delay".

4. Detailing the experience: In the complaint description, provide a detailed account of your experience. Mention specific services or products you used, such as banking, insurance, or investment services. Describe the nature of the issue, including dates, amounts, and any relevant policy or account numbers (avoid sharing full personal account numbers for security reasons). If you attempted to resolve the issue with USAA, include the steps you took, the responses received, and the timeline of events. Explain how this issue has personally affected you, such as financial loss or stress.

5. Attaching supporting documents: Attach any relevant documents that support your complaint, such as correspondence with USAA, receipts, or statements. Do not include sensitive personal information like social security numbers or full account numbers that could compromise your security.

6. Filling optional fields: Use the 'Claimed Loss' field to quantify any financial losses you have incurred due to the issue. In the 'Desired Outcome' field, clearly state what resolution you are seeking from USAA, whether it's a refund, an apology, or corrective action.

7. Review before submission: Carefully review your complaint for clarity, accuracy, and completeness. Ensure that your description is coherent and that all the facts are correct to the best of your knowledge.

8. Submission process: After reviewing your complaint, click the 'Submit' button to file your complaint against USAA on ComplaintsBoard.com.

9. Post-Submission Actions: Keep an eye on your ComplaintsBoard.com account for any responses or updates regarding your complaint. Be prepared to engage in further communication if necessary to resolve your issue with USAA.

Trust badge
Collect Your Trust Badge
Be recognized for outstanding customer service

USAA contacts

Dedicated to Authenticity

Encouraging Detailed Feedback

Balanced and Constructive Conversations

Free and Fair Platform

Is ComplaintsBoard.com associated with USAA?

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with USAA Customer Service. Initial USAA complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for USAA above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about USAA. Discuss the issues you have had with USAA and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.