Avis Car Rental / overcharging for existing small marks on vehicle

1 Johannesburg OR Tambo airport, South Africa
Phone: 27 11 573 5000

I was a regular Budget customer with no problem. But recently Avis acquired Budget. When I got a one-day rental from Avis from 14 May to 15 May 2015, Avis charged me an outrageous amount of R 2893.99 for just one day including R 1993.10 for so-called “damages” relating to existing tiny scratch on rear bumper and chip on front fender. Avis didn’t give me the required “damage check sheet” showing the car’s condition. My wife and I noticed those small scratch and chip but unlike in the past, there was no attendant at the parking area this time to inspect and note those existing tiny marks. But upon returning the vehicle, the attendant noticed the marks and refused to accept my explanation that they existed at time of pick up. Obviously, Avis violated its policy and procedures with intent to trap me by not providing “damage checklist” and not inspecting the car at time of pick up. Now Avis wants me to pay for its own incompetence. I demand full refund of R 1993.10, and shall NEVER rent from Avis South Africa again! Would be most grateful for the Board's assistance in this matter.

Yk