AT&T / Direc TV Bundle My Services / overcharged

Shreveport, LA, United States Review updated:
4.8
I ordered the $99 per month 'Bundle my Services' offered by AT& T/Direct TV. The way the deal supposedly worked is each bills you separately, but AT&T offers rebates on each bill to offset the amount of the billing to equal a total of $99 per month. Each month for three months I received separate billing: AT&T $120 and DXirect TV $60, for a total of $180. After complaining each month, not receiving credits for the overbilling, and the billing not being corrected, I cancelled the contract. At that time Direct TV withdrew $300 from my account for 'early cancellation fee' and since that time AT&T has turned me over to first collection agencies, then to collection attorneys. I have turned both of them over to my lawyer.

Comments

Un
  19th of May, 2007
Our service in Nov. 06. Prior to the installers leaving my home I called to confirm the monthly payments. The monthly payment was to remain the same for 1yr. It was to increase the second year by $10.00. Because the first bill was wrong, I called the 800 number. The bill has been wrong every month, we have called every month. Each agent, has apologized and swore that we would not have this problem again. Of course we have. My husband has also written them a letter. Now, we are told that Direct tv has never said that and that the previous agents were wrong. We have consistently paid the agreed upon amount. My package has not changed from the day of installation. Today, we were told that if we choose to cancel then we would have to pay a cancellation fee. Why? They broke agreement.
Ju
  19th of Jun, 2007
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I purchased an HD DVR from Direct TV about a year ago. Ever since the day I got it, I've had technical problems with it: video and audio dropouts, and pixilization. For those of you that have Directv, it's the same thing you get in a REALLY heavy rainstorm. For nearly a year, I've had technicians come out to the house, we've replaced the dish, the wiring and the receiver. The satellite signal is as good as it could possibly be. After all that, the quality has not improved. I was patient with them, up til this months bill when they added a $70 charge for a "service call" that they refuse to take off.

Don't sign up for Direct TV, they may call you a "valued customer" but that's all crap.
Fl
  29th of Jun, 2007
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I signed up for direct tv a year and a half ago I thought that I was signing a 1 year contract. Then I found out that because I got a dvr from them I found out that I actually signed on for a 2 year contract, well the dvr took a crap a couple of times and they said that they were aware of the problem and were working on it, I waited for about a month and called them back they said they had to reset the dvr so they did it did not fix the problem another month went by and I called back and they said they could send me out a new one, and when I got it I was to send the old one back, which I did. then I got my bill in and there is a charge on there for them to ship it to me, I called customer service again, and after arguing with them, they finally agreed to take the shipping charge off but I would be responsible for shipping the old one back, I told them that I wanted to pay my way out of my contract, I was told it was going to be around 100 dollars well when i got my bill it was more like 324 dollars, they said that when they shipped out the new dvr that i automatically signed up for 2 more years, I told them that I would pay until the end of the first contract but I was not going to pay for a contract that I did not authorize, so they took it out of my bank account with out my consent, I should be able to prosecute them for theft, but once again the little guy gets the short end of the stick.
Do
  18th of Jul, 2007
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I used my Amex card to pay a one time charge only for my monthly bill.Next thing I see that DirectTv has set me up for reoccurring charges and also set me up for not receiving a paper bill in the mail.I called them and they were very nasty with me.I called Amex who stopped the charge to investigate.I then paid the bill from my checking account and told them I would still like to receive my bill in the mail. It should have arrived 2 weeks ago and I still do not have this months bill, showever I paid it anyway.
Hu
  25th of Aug, 2007
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I helped a friend out one month and paid his bill online. He cancelled the service probably a year later and out of the blue Direct TV charges my debit card for the amount he owed, which wasn't even past due! To top it off, it overdrew my checking account and overdraft charges were applied. Of course this outraged me. They can't just out of the blue charge someones card especailly if the card isn't the account owner. They should be hit by a huge fine.. becuase were I'm from, America, it's illegal to take someones money without an authorization! I will get my money back from them one way or another. I am in the process of faxing this and that. I asked for the overdraft charges as well as the other money. If I don't get my overdraft charges back, I would love to take them to court. I don't care if it is more than what was ocured.

This is shady! Everyone beware of Direct TV!
Ji
  1st of Sep, 2007
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
We have had Direct TV since spring of 2006. Last fall we ordered the ESPN game plan so we could watch our college football team. This past week we received our 9/2007 bill and they had renewed the ESPN game plan without our approval. When my wife called she was on hold two separate times for 30-40 minutes before getting a rude supervisor that would not cancel the service." Since the season had begun" We received our bill on Friday 8/31 and the season began that same week. This was the only time we were alerted to the charges. We had also canceled the package on the phone to Direct TV after football season last year. The supervisor told us that we had been notified of the renewal by a small line on the July bill with a 0 balance. HBO, and other premium channels can be dropped any time and fights can be ordered ala carte. They don't auto renew these automatically. We are canceling Direct TV and will short pay the last bill for the service. Don't get duped by Direct TV . This is a scam and they know it. I am reporting them to the Better Business Bureau as well.
Jo
  7th of Sep, 2007
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
I signed up for direct tv . it was nothing like what i was told over the phone stay away!!! its one big hassle.
Ce
  9th of Oct, 2007
I cancelled my contract exactly on the day my contract was due. So I figured I wouldn't have to pay for any cancellation fees, but I was wrong after my cancellation they send me a bill of $10.00 because the Protection Plan didn't go into effect until a month after my contract started, so in other words I canceled to soon for the Protection Plan!!! Okay so I paid this right... now after 2 months of not being a customer of Direct TV they are billing me $92.88 for GET THIS... "2 movies, and 2 ppv events" that were "NEVER SEEN" and to top it off they confirm the fact that they were never seen!!! They are the worst company to deal with!!! Don't ever get Direct TV, plus when there is bad weather you don't even get signal!!! It is dangerous just think... what if there is a horrible storm that you need to be following and you can't because you have no signal!!! I would not recommend DIRECT TV!!!
Ww
  23rd of Oct, 2007
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I agree completely with the posting. I had the misfortune of trying Direct TV. I was promised a price of $39.99 per month for the Premier package for three months. When the installer activated the boxes, I was told that pricing did not exist. I was put on the installers cell phone to discuss the problem with Direct TV. Not only was the representative rude, she was completely useless. I told the installer to pack up their crap and get it out of my house. The installer asked if I would keep the service if he could get the pricing I was promised. He made some phone calls and told me everything was resolved. Unfortunately I agreed. I had the service for less than one week when I received the first invoice. The price charged was the full price, not the price I was promised. I called immediately to dispute the charge. I was told there was nothing they could do. I was offered the basic package for $40 per month. I refused this as it wasn't what was on the paperwork. I asked to be transferred to cancellations. To make a long story short, they refused to transfer me and I had to call back two hours later. I cancelled my service the same day. Now Direct TV is saying I owe them $150 for a cancellation charge even though they breached the contract first. Basic business law says that I had the option to cancel the contract after their breach. I called to dispute this charge and was told to submit a written complaint. I sent my complaint in with the paperwork supporting my argument. It took them three weeks to send a form letter stating that I owned them $150. All I can say is, good luck Direct TV. You will not receive one penny from me. I had the service for exactly one week and they breached the contract. I have sent my complaint to the FCC and Better Business Bureau.
Rh
  31st of Oct, 2007
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I went home last Oct 17 and received a message that my name was reported to collection agency by the AT&T. I was shock and called the given phone number and find told me to called there customer service. Same day I called the customer service to be asked to called there inventory center. Next day I called the inventory center and I found out that they claim that one of the box had no access card and I found out that I have to paid the access card or return it to them. Michael from the inventory center told me how much is the access card and send a message to look for it. Imgaine that AT&T waited for more than 2 month and then decided to submit your name to collection agency and denied that they did not received the access that was in box that they received on Aug 23.
Su
  14th of Nov, 2007
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I am so disgusted by Direct Tv.
I phoned to get information on signing up with them. I had $15 per month cable and expressed my concern with switching off of that. I was offered their football package with premium service for $49.99 per month for 4 months, then I can switch to the basic package. I was also offered a free DVD player, a free DVR, and $150 credit divided over 15months at $10 per month.

The first bill comes and I didnt receive the $10 or the $20 off the the football package. I spent an hour+ on the phone with customer service being passed from one person to another, being told that the football package offer didnt exist. I called their sign up department at the same time who AGAIN OFFERED me the $20 off the football package while the otehr department denied any offer of the sort. Finally spoke to someone who said they knew about it, they would credit it AND teh $10 per month, not to pay my bill until the following month when the changes would be on it.

Next bill comes. 1 month of $20 credit, not the first month. No $10 per month credit. I spend another 2 hrs on the phone with customer service, get hung up on by 2 reps who dont want to deal with it. Talked to a total of 5 people and finally when I told them they were not following through and I wanted everything out of my house I was transfered to the resolution department who accused me of not qualifying for the offer of $150. After threatening to tell everyone I know about their customer service and lack of follow through I was offered the $150 credit on my account. We'll see if it and the $20 per month for 4 months actually shows up.

I'm afraid to call in with my friends account number that referred me. I am sure that will be a fight too.

I wish I could get out of this contract and go back to my basic boring cable. This has been hell dealing with them. Stay away from this company! And if you have to deal with them..well good luck, since no one there has extensions or last names.
Je
  24th of Nov, 2007
About a year ago I switched from comcast to direct tv and thought it was good until my bills were higher so I called and stopped service. I then got a big TV and got dish network. I love it ! Then recently without my consent they took money out of my account. So I am very very upset and now I sent back all the equipment before this incident and they told me if I sent back the stuff I wouldn't get charged. They did anyway so I want my money back and to tell everybody diecttv sucks. Beware of hidden charges.
Ki
  25th of Nov, 2007
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I am a customer with major $$ packages including football package, redzone package, all movie channels and HD television. I am unable to order pay per view from the online menu on their website. I called to inquire the discrepancies of the menu online and I was transferred to several people. I spoke to Carlos who could not help me on 11/22 at approximately 11 p.m. He transferred me to Carla. She advised me that the pay per view menu is not accurate. After we discussed alternative ways to find accurate pay per view listings, all very inconvenient, I asked to speak with a manager. I was placed on hold for approximately 10 mins. She then said a manager will call me back, but never did. I called again on 11/23 and was hold for 5 minutes.

I waited until approximately 6:30 p.m. to call again. Luis transferred me to Lisa who was very unsympathetic. I explained that I did not choose to repeat my complaint to the manager therefore I would not share the complaint with her. She placed me on hold for a short period of time and then informed me that I would not be able to speak to a manager. I can leave my contact information and a manager will call me back within 24 hours. I pay too much money to be treated like that! I called again after a moment that I took to calm down and reached a very nice man, Rick. He apologized and empathized with me. He did not seem uncaring at all. He admitted that I should never have a problem talking with a manager and again apologized for my inconvenience. He placed in my account a $5/month discount for 3 months and another $5/month discount for the next 3 months for my inconvenience.

I am still filing this complaint because I do not believe there are enough consultants like Rick working for Directv. Carla could have been just as helpful, but she chose to give me the runaround. Over the past 4 months, I was promised 5 free pay per view movies, which I never received. I was promised that a return kit would come after I upgraded my service to HD so that I may return the other receiver. I never received a box to return the receiver; I was charged for the past 3 months with service from a receiver that no longer worked.

If there was a better act in town that offered the football package I would take it. I had Comcast Cable for 10+ years and their customer service was horrendous, hence the reason I went to Directv.

I think they should value me as a customer and offer me something more for my patience. Especially considering the amount of money I pay them per month, almost $200! I hope this complaint does not fall on deaf ears! In my opinion, if they can have accurate pay per view listings on the tvlistings menu on their website, they should be able to have accurate listing on the pay per view menu or remove it from their website. It was accurate the first few times ordered online.
Tr
  13th of Dec, 2007
Oh my goodness!!

The exact thing happened to us! We were charged for an NBA package that we didn't order. My husband ordered the package last year. He's in the military and we have not even lived in the same state for almost a year and I don't watch basketball, so I know I didn't order it--so I was confused when I got the bill. We got the same run around about not being able to cancel the service because we were sent a notice on the July bill. I pay my bills online, so I never got the notice. To make a long story short, we got them to take it off of our bill. We then tried to cancel and were told we would have to pay $150 fee. We've been customers for over a year. We fulfilled our contract obligation, so I wondered why the fee. We were told we started a new service (DVR) so we had to have that for a year before we could cancel without a fee. My husband bought the DVR from a friend and they were attempting to charge us for it. We got that cleared up. I do plan on cancelling the service tomorrow.
Mi
  2nd of Jan, 2008
I hope someone at Direct TV who is responsible for customer service and for contracting out service calls reads this. I have NEVER had so much trouble getting something done as I have had this past 2 weeks, since I started with this service. I began by buying a TV at BEST BUY and signing up with Direct TV. Installation was on 12/19 and it was satisfactory.

The very next day, the HD DVR began constantly blinking out and resetting, and this went on for 2 days. I called for service and an appointment was made for 12/22. I waited and the tech never showed. I called to find out what happened and was told that the appointment was canceled because I was not home! When did he come?, I asked. It doesn't say, was the response. There was no notice of a visit left at my home. I was home the whole time and no one rang my doorbell.

I rescheduled for 12/27 and by this time, the HD DVR box is dead. Nothing. I awaited during the scheduled time, 4-8pm, and even called DirecTech to verify that someone was coming and was told yes, he should be there around 7pm.

At 8:50 pm, I called and was told that the appointment was canceled. Why? I asked. No reason, was the response. I became livid as I realized that I had no hd service to my brand new home theater setup and I was realizing that it wasn't going to be easy to get it. In fact, I still had no idea how difficult it was to become.

I assured the phone rep that I was very unhappy and that I wished to speak to someone who could get me service first thing Monday am. He told me that there was no one who could do that. I had to wait until 1/2 between 4 and 8 pm to get service. I asked how was I to know that someone was going to show. He said that he guaranteed that someone would be there. Make the appointment, I said. (It should be noted here that the only reason I went and got all this stuff was so that I could watch all the great College Bowl games coming up this past week in High Definition Digital Direct TV! Maybe next year.)

One hour ago, I called DirecTech Southwest to verify that my appointment for tomorrow was still good. The girl told me that the appointment had been canceled. Why?, I asked. No reason, she said. Can someone please tell me what the hell is going on with this outfit? I am ready to take anything that says DirectTv on it and blow it up. I called Direct TV back and talked to *****. He said he was assigning my "case" to someone who can get things done. First thing tomorrow that person will call me and take a personal interest in my case and resolve the issues which are deemed unacceptable by DirectTV.

If they are unacceptable, why are they happening? Is there anyone in charge over there? Who is getting paid to ensure that customers are getting the service they are willing to pay for? I don't want my a** kissed. I want some HD service for my new TV and I'm not getting it. To sum up, I am not getting HD service, for which I have ALREADY received a bill. I have scheduled THREE appointments and ALL THREE have been canceled for no apparent reason and I was NOT NOTIFIED. I have been shuffled from phone person to phone person with no resolution and no reason to believe that this will be resolved anytime within the next week. I would recommend to anyone reading this who is considering subscribing to this service to seriously reconsider. If I had known any of this going in, I would have stuck with COMCAST.

BTW, I did do troubleshooting on the thing, like resetting and unplugging and checking and rearranging wiring. I call DirecTV tech support and was told by a lady there that the problem was with my TV! Thanks a lot!
Da
  9th of Jan, 2008
On the 4th of January at 13:00 Hr's I was Installed the Direct network satellite system, with 2 sets. I recently disconnected from another satellite co because of Horrible service. I was told that Direct TV was Very good. The Installer did a good job of Installing both set's? He got the living room set working, and was checking the bedroom set. He checked the signal, and said it was very good. But the converter wouldn't read the card.

He then asked me if there were any splitters in line. I told him yes" the former co put it in" He the Installer said it wouldn't work with the splitter in" I told him the living room is working off the splitter, he had no comment? I remover the splitter from the line and ran a new line to the LNB. The receiver acknowledged the signal from the dish and loaded. Then a pop up came up stating the reader could not read the card. So after talking to 6 different customer agents I was told the card is defective. I was transfered to an agent in the card department? Now each of the six agents I talked to Had me run the whole test sequence? I was on the phone for Hr's. The girl in the card department finally said she would ship me out a new card that day and I should have it in a couple of days. I said Ok" I was so stressed out by now I said fine. Five days have now gone by and No Card By now I am so mad, I called direct TV and wanted to talk to a supervisor. after a number of trys and getting shoved from extensions to ext, finally got to talk to a live person, Which couldn't help me. Finally got connected to another. I explained to him I just want my set working. This guy ran me all through the set up trouble test. I told him Look " we know the card is bad, I want this problem fixed? I said I know there installers in the area everyday, why cant he stop by and replace your defective receiver? I was told he didn't carry spare receivers on his truck? I then said Don't tell me that" I helped him do the installs, and he had a whole stack in his van. The supervisor then told me that it would cost to much to send him out, and thats not the way they( the Company) do things. I then asked this Supervisor" Then the customer does not matter that your company Installed me with defective equipment? But I can wait to you get around to fix things.

Even after I receive the card there is no guarantee it will work, I said you got a Bill to me in the mail in one and a half day, and you expect to get paid on time" What's wrong with this picture? I just jumped out of the frying pan into the fire. What a terrible mistake I just made connecting to direct TV Their service is worse then the company I just came from. I know I just waisted my time writing this letter, it will end up in file 13.
Ri
  28th of Jan, 2008
How did it turn out?

I have had Direct Tv service for over five years. I had my service moved and upgraded to my new home on Dec,7th.2007. The installation was very messy, they left wires hanging everywhere inside and outside the house, never connected the ground cable outside for electrical safety, and we lost signal every few minutes. I called and complained and Direct TV sent another tech out almost two weeks later. He stated the first tech was fired and he “fixed the service”. Within 15 minutes we began to lose signal again.

I called and e-mail Direct TV about this, offering pictures to prove the service was installed sloppy and didn’t work.
I e-mailed them several times, it’s easier because their call centers have people that can’t speak clear English and are very hard to deal with and understand. Finally I told them to cancel my service because they couldn’t meet there commitment to me and provide a working service. I also asked for a return autho# to send their receiver back to them.

Around a week later Jan 11th.2008 I received a disconnect e-mail and bill for 93.00 .I e-mailed them saying I had no service for that month so how do I owe them.
On Jan 18th.2008 a box with return instructions was delivered to my house for the receiver.

On Jan 22nd. 2008 I saw Direct TV was pulling $562.83 from my checking account.I took of work and went to my bank to stop this from happening, I signed a stop pay but my bank had to investigate it first. I was told to contact Direct TV and ask them to stop the transaction.

I called Direct TV several times, I was told the charges were for an early termination of service.I told them again I never had a working service to begin with.I got nowhere with the call center, the language problem was just to much, I asked for some one that could speak better English and I was repeated the same thing again. Direct TV used a check card I had used before to pay my bill on-line and charged my account without my authorization $562.38.

When I got home that evening I received a bill from them stating what the charges were and it was due immediately.
No one that speaks good English will talk to me from Direct TV, THEY broke the law pulling money from my account without authorization, caused my account to bounce checks, left me unable to buy groceries this week for my family, I’ve lost two hours work as of today trying to clear this up. Tommorrow I have to go to my bank again and to an attorney.

What a nightmare, please pass this on to everyone to warn them about direct tv’s practices
Richard C. Morrison
Boatdoc1963@yahoo.com
Hi
  5th of Feb, 2008
another day off of work without pay because of this crappy company i guess they figure everybody can just throw away $100.00 to miss work waiting on them to show up!! im friggin pissed!! do not hire directtv
Ge
  23rd of Feb, 2008
Our satellite stopped working. We had to wait seven days to get an appointment with a four-hour window. Technician did not show up. Ironwood communications called after the four-hour window to let us know that they had missed it! They said the technician MAY be able to come in the next five hours. They say they did show up five hours after the expiration of the four-hour window but we had to leave the house for another appointment. Just to be clear.. We waited from 8am-4:30pm and there was no technician.
We called DirectTV, who were unapologetic and the agent suggested we cancel our service with them!!! After speaking to his supervisor, we made another appointment for two days later.

Same four-hour window, 8am-12pm. It is now two hours past their four-hour window. I have spoken to various call centers including one in the Phillipines. The dispatcher apparently does not answer their calls. Ironwood called one hour after the appointment time to see if their technician had arrived. When I suggested that they call him to find out if and when he would be coming, they put me on hold and transferred me back to a Phillipiines call center!!

We have now been without television service for 10 days. It is February 23, 2008. In this day and age you can make an appointment that is on time with the DMV, for goodness sakes.
Je
  27th of Feb, 2008
I want my refund of 19.95. I will contact the channel 8 news reguarding this situation along with the countless other complaints.

This is absolutely the WORST company in the United States. They are a bunch of liars and there customer service is grade AA dog @#*%.
I called direct tv to recieve service since i kept hearing how they are #1 provider with the lowest price (no wonder they have the lowest price...they are a bunch of thieves). My first service call was "rained out" and had to be rescheduled (allthough it never rained here). At that time the tech CONFIRMED MY ADDRESS and rescheduled. The day came of the next appointment and after taking off work to wait for direct tv ..they never showed. I called direct tv and after an 11/2 hours they finally found me in the system and offered me a $15.00 credit for my loss (allthough i make 15.00 an hour X 8) and "promised me" that I would get service 2 days later on a Saturday. Saturday morning came and i was so excited to hear from a tech. However this is how the conversation went.
Tech: Hey this is so&so from direct tv. I was calling to find out how to get to your house.
Me: Ok. You go here and here and so on.
Tech: Well I am in Roanoak and it is sixty miles from your house.
Me: Ok well what time do you think you will be here?
Tech: Let me call dispatch and i will call you back.
That is the last time I heard from the "professional installer" as they say.
The tech had called a couple hours before my actual appointment so when i called direct tv they said I had to wait til after the missed appointment to call.
So...I call direct tv after the missed appointment to explain my problem with the faith of SURELY they would come out right away to fix it. But once again here comes the runaround. But this time i have to say was a pretty good BIG FAT LIE. She sais oh the tech went to the wrong city. "YOU" gave us the wrong zip code. Ok...I have two words..BULL ###. I have lived here for 2 1/2 years and payed my 12-15 bills a month , gived my address countless times. Never have I given the wrong "zip code" before.

So at this point I want to cancel. I dont want anything else from this JOKE of a co. and I am pissed. She informes me i can't cancel because i will be charged a cancelation fee. I HAVE NEVER FELT SO HELPLESS BEFORE. Usually you can get high enough in the company that someone can satisfy "the customer". That is what customer satisfaction is all about right????? WRONG.
So I have to swallow my pride and reschedule.

Super Bowl Sunday!!!!!! They are supposed to be there between 8-12am. Once again they never showed. I don't think i have to tell you my feelings around this event.

This letter can only begin to tell you of the NIGHTMARE I encountered with this company. Not including the hours of time i spent on the phone with them, the promises they made, the money they really owe me for all the credits they gave me before the service ever had a chance of being installed, the I'm sorry's , the I understand your frustration, Bull ### if you understood you would make it right. No wonder there is a lack of communication, you can't ever understand these people.
THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU GET THE CHEAPEST SERVICE.......YOU REALLY DO
An
  1st of Mar, 2018
@jennifer I have been trying to cancel my service since November, and 4 months later I am still getting billed. I keep calling and they keep promising that my service is canceled and guaranteeing no more charges, and credits, which never come through. This has been the biggest waste of time and money I have ever gone through. In the end I am just having to go through my bank to contest charges and not allow any more charges. I am considering legal action and have filed a complaint with the FCC and Federal Trade Comission. I will also tell all my friends and family about my experience and post reviews wherever I can to impede any more people going through this. I cannot believe such a dishonest company is allowed to operate.

DirecTV Logo DirecTV