Alltel / scams & lies!

I've been an Alltel customer for years on end. My problems with this company and their lack of cooperation seems endless. I've had problems in the past with roaming charges showing up on my bill.

When I pointed out that I had not been in those areas of my state making calls, I was told the signal will jump to the next closest tower if the one in my area is not available. I chased them for 3 months trying to receive credits that I was promised but was unable to make any progress. NOW, I activated a second line on my account and tried to cancel the other because it was used for a business that I had recently sold. I was told I would be charged a $200 cancellation fee for the original line unless I waited until June. So I paid $50 per month for 3 months on a line I wasn't using. When June came, I called to cancel and was told that I needed to cancel on the exact day of the month I signed up on 12 years prior which I had missed by 3 days. Since I missed that day, my contract on that line was automatically renewed for 2 more years. They refused to help and gave me the # of an office Manager. I called and left 7 messages over 3 weeks and never received a return call to this day. I tried to cancel the second line as a result and was told I would have to pay $200 to cancel that one also. So now I'm up to $400 in cancellation fees if I cancel or change companies within 2 years!! While trying to straighten this out, I was told that since I bought a new Razor phone with a rebate, I HAD to sign up for a new more expensive service plan or face being charged outrages prices by the minute rather than continuing on my Unlimited Plan because my new phone was not compatible with my old plan.?? I went into a location in Chandler AZ and found an employee that told me "off the record" that I was being lied to by the Rep. because he was probably seeking a commission and not to worry about it. I called again in August to once again try to cancel the second line I wasn't using and was told their was nothing he could do and to continue to try to call the Manager that wouldn't return my calls! THEN, he started in with the same story of how I needed to sign up for a new more expensive plan because my new phone wasn't compatible!!!! I explained I was never told any of this when I bought the phone, he offered a half assed apology, refused to cancel my other line without a $200 fee and continued to try to get me to agree to convert to a more expensive plan!

I'm done! I'll be canceling it all when I get back into town. This company needs a good old fashioned class action law suite!! It should be illegal to be lied to, given misinformation and to renew contracts without consent, explanation, notification or signatures. Now, I have to choose between being raped financially or destroying my credit.

I'M WARNING EVERYONE I CAN NOT TO USE THIS COMPANY!!!

THEY NEED TO BE PUT OUT OF BUSINESS!

Va

Comments

• Va
      22nd of Jan, 2007

We signed up as a family for five phones from Alltel Wireless, we have been a customer of theirs since they took over Cellular One (we were formally a cellular one customer).

The plan that we chose included a advertised "My Circle" in which you could go online and enter 10 numbers which you call frequently that would then not be charged minutes or money to call. We set up our "My Circle" with the ten numbers we call most frequently. This month we received a notice on our phone that our usage was extremely high, after calling Alltel we were told that we were $200 over our monthly usage and that our bill would be $357 this month. We were concerned so we checked with customer service both at the local store and on the phone. When we looked on the internet to see our "my circle", the number that had been called to make our minutes go over was no longer listed on the web page. I asked customer service representative "Amanda" about this and she said "Alltel has nothing to do with My Circle, that is for the customer to keep track of on their own". I then asked Amanda how I would know that they hadn't gone in and deleted our numbers or that there wasn't a computer glitch that had erased our number, Amanda told us that we would need to double check the list often to make sure that our numbers were still there. We were not told this was the case when signing up for service through their "my circle" promotion. I did cancel service with Alltel Wireless and Amanda did tell me that there would be a $200 per phone charge as well as the charges for our overage this month, which will be $1357.00. In my opinion Alltel broke their part of the contract by not adhering to the "my circle" promotion.

• Pa
      19th of Apr, 2007

I will try and keep this short but in order to get the entire picture then the whole process has not exactly been short, but here goes:

1. Bought a new RazorV3 online in August, 2006. Phone broke in Dec., 2006. Brought phone to Alltel store & they replaced the battery 2 times. They ran numerous tests and determined that it was not the battery but that I needed a new phone which they ordered for me and said it would be mailed to my home.

2. New phone came somewhere around the middle of Dec., 2006. Brought phone to Alltel store and representative opened box, took battery out of old phone put it in new phone, transferred my personal data to new phone, put broken phone in box, and attached the provided pre-printed, post-paid, self-addressed label which had what looked like a tracking number and a bar code on the label.

3. Alltel representative told me all I had to do was drop the box in a mailbox, which is what I did the next morning, I put the box in my mailbox .

3. Jan. 31, 2007 received letter from Alltel telling me that they did not receive the broken phone back or pay them $165.00. They gave me what they said was the USPS tracking # for the package.

4. Called post office where my mail is processed through. They informed me that the # I was given was not a USPS tracking #. Called Alltel back told them what post office employee said. Alltel told me that I was lying there was no way that post office said it was not a valid # because it was. Confirmed the "USPS tracking #".

5. Called USPS in Gainesville, FL spoke with supervisor she told me it was NOT a USPS tracking #, it sounded like a tracking # that "SmartLabel" provides for their customers.

6. Discovered that it was a Newgistics Smartlabel. Spoke with rep. from Newgistics & was informed that Alltel was a client of theirs & the tracking # was theirs and NOT a USPS tracking #. Alltel elected not to pay the additional $ and have a USPS tracking # also put on the Smartlabel.

7. Called Alltel back told them what the Gainesville post office supervisor said and what the Newgistics representative said. Alltel called both of them liars that the tracking # that they have is a "USPS tracking #". I talked to at least 4 different employees from Alltel and NONE of them knew that the tracking # showing for my package was NOT a USPS tracking #.

8. On Feb 15, 2007 went and filled out a Mail Loss/Rifling Report from the post office. They still have not located my package. According to them without a USPS tracking # that it would be almost virtually impossible to find the package.

9. On Mar 20, 2007 I sent a letter to Alltel, 1 Allied Drive, 1269-B5F09-B, Little Rock, AR 72202, by certified mail, return receipt requested and by regular mail. Certified letter was signed for on Mar. 27, 2007, which of course went in to more detail than this email. To date I have not heard back from them.

9. I have paid the portion of my bill for my minutes used but I did not pay for the phone. This month Alltel is threatening to turn off my phone for non-payment of $161+$5 late fees. In order to avoid having service turned off, I paid the bill.

10. I did exactly what the Alltel Smartlabel instructed me to do. If Alltel is going to hold customers responsible then it should require phones to be returned "return receipt requested" so that the customer will have something to prove mailing otherwise as long as the customer tells Alltel they have returned the phone per Alltel's instructions then I feel it is Alltel's responsibility.

Is there anything that you can do to help me? I hope that I will hearing from you. Again, any help that you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

• He
      10th of Sep, 2007

I was quite delighted when the My Circle program advertisements made their way to me. I entered my ten phone numbers. I have a witness. I even checked to be sure they were in there correctly. My numbers at some point disappeared, and I received a bill for $400. I called the company, and got $30 taken off. Whoopee. I had not made a copy of the list. This is apparently how they get away with it.

The first person I spoke to was the most pleasant and honest. She said that I really had to keep an eye on that list, and that she would fix the bill if she could, but she couldn't.

The second person I spoke to was much less honest and much less pleasant. He was a supervisor. He said that it was basically my fault, and that I was the first person he knew of to have this problem. Hmm. Maybe he needs to visit this site.

Anyway, beware. Make a copy of your list. If you don't have computer or a printer at your disposal, I have no idea how you would keep track of this. That's probably why they have done it this way.

• So
      21st of Feb, 2008

I am so pissed I could eat nails.We have had Alltel since 2005 we have had nothing but trouble with them they are continuely messing up our bill and then disconnecting the service if you refuse to paid the monsterous bill.

Last year, I paid over 1600.00 just to keep my services from being interrupted, when I finally couldn't pay anymore, I went though all of the proper channels trying to handle it in a professional manner and was still getting no results and no answers to my problem. I contacted the corporate office in AZ and they helped me get some of the issues straighten out, I ended up with a large credit.

Now it is 2008 and they are trying to rob us again but this time I am not going to pay. They turned my services off on Dec 2007 they are telling me that I had my services restored on Dec 8 so they are prorating my bill in layman's term trying to take my money. I flat out told them they were incorrect requested and investagating and was told flat out their was nothing to investagate.

I requested to speak to an office manager or to be given the # to Little Rock AZ office and I was refused. So I had to research this issue and try to hunt down a number on my own.

I work very hard for my money and it is a shame that consumers like us are being ripped off by these people and it is not just me there are severasl people I know that have had to switch services because they were tired of being taken advantage of. We decided that we wanted to terminate the lines, they want 600.00 to terminate the line because we have 3 contacts with them.I don't want something for nothing I just wanted to pay what I owed.

Either way they get you, if you pay the bill that you know you don't owe, then they have won. Ify you terminate your contracts they still win because that's 200.00 per line. If you don't pay they report it on your credit.

This is the worst company I have ever seen in my life, I would never ever recommend this company to any one not even my worst enemy.

• Ke
      3rd of Apr, 2008

had a two yar contract with alltel in 2003. stayed with them until 2006. for over a year complined of service, worthless service, of course they did nothing. told me to go to another wireless provider if i did not like alltel. since i did not have a contract with them anymore there would be no termaition fee. went to cingular keep same phone number. next month got a bill from alltel for 200.00 termination fee for going to somene else.. the only thing that i could figure out why they are sending me this bill is to pay for hiring someone to haul out all of the ###, and ### at alltel.. that would take at least a thousend years.

10th of Apr, 2008

HELLO
    MY HUSBAND DOUG AND I ARE BOTH OF DEAF.. WE WENT TO ALLTEL STORE IN STEUBENVILLE, OHIO.. WE ASKED WORKER WE WANT TO BUY ANY BLACKBERRY FOR ALL UNLIMITED AND THEY SAID NO AND THEY SAID WE CAN BUY ANY PHONES WITH UNLIMITED BUT ALL THE PHONES DONT HAVE KEYBOARD FOR TXT MSG BUT THEY SAID ONLY ONE PHONE HAS KEYBOARD WITH LG SCOOP .. AND WE BOUGHT THEM ON MONDAY APRIL 7TH .. WE TXT MSG LOTS BUT THE BATTERY CHRG ARE RUNNING OUT.. LOT OF MY DEAF FRIENDS GOT BLACKBERRY ALL UNLIMITED FROM SPRINTS AND ATT WIRELESS.. THEY ARE BEST PHONES.. I CALLED CUSTOMER SERVICE ALLTEL AND SPOKE WITH THE SUPERSVISOR AND I WAS EXPLAINED TO THEM WHY WE CANT GET BLACKBERRY AND UNLIMITED .. THEY SAID COMPANY SAID NO.. I THINK ITS WRONG WE SHOULD GET BLACKBERRY WITH ALL UNLIMITED.. I WENT TO T MOBILE YESTERDAY AND TEY SAID BLACKBERRY ARE ALL UNLIMITED BUT WE DNT WANT TO BUY THEM BECS T MOBILE IS NOT GOOD.. MY HUSABMND AND I WANT TO GET BLACKBERRY BEFORE WE CAN RETURN IN 14 DAYS.. AND CHANGE PHONES.. PLS UNDERSTAND !! OUR ALLTEL PHONES ARE 304-479-4367 AND 304-479-4368.. LET ME KNOW .. WE APPRECITED IT.. THANKS

• Da
      21st of Apr, 2008

I am going through the Justice department and the FBI, to have a criminal investigation into this crooked company. They are trying to extort money from me. When I asked for my service to be turned off, these crooks refused to do so and then tripled my bill. Instead of helping me, all they did is threaten me with their stupid bill collector's and a threat to ruin my credit.
    The best thing to do is to contact the Justice department and the FBI, and keep contacting them until they launch a criminal investigation.

Also contact all national media outlets and ask them for an investigation. Alltel is a company that needs to be investigated and the owners and managers sent to jail where they belong.
    No organized crime has not been wiped out in America, they just moved up the ladder and now are in charge of major corporations like Alltel, Wells Fargo Bank, and credit card companies.

• Cl
      18th of Mar, 2009

I know this is an old posting but the problems with Alltel does seem to go on. I would highly recommend that we pass the word to everyone not to buy cell phones with rebates. From any company. Don't fall for this marketing scam.

Also, don't go nuts over the next NEW phone that comes out. It is all marketing. They made a big deal about the LG scoop and mine didn't last 6 months. I still haven't received the rebate and I did exactly what the directions said. The point is...there is always a newer and better phone coming out. But this is how they get you.
    Alltel hasn't been customer friendly. They got too big for their britches and couldn't keep up. They pump out contracts and new phones and entice customers with new gadget phones through cleaver marketing...but just to renew your contract another two years. But, all cell phone companies do this somewhat..but Alltel, if you have a problem you can't reach them.

7th of May, 2009

My name is Sarah. I have received collection letters from you guys for the past two months or so. I tried to resolve this the easy way and just call the 1-800-225-8351. This was a waste of my time! I talked to a total of nine people! Even a supervisor named ADRIAN, who didnt take care of my problem and put me on hold just for a girl named Sommer to pick up the line. She tried to help me with my problem but I was very upset about the previous eight people that lead me in the wrong direction, needless to say some of them were very rude and none seemed to have a supervisor. If you listen back at the tapes you will see that i asked numerous time to speak to one and they said that they didnt have one... right.. This is one of the reasons i left alltel! Poor customer service since the first year i got my phone somewhere in the early 2000. I will not pay the bill that i called about because i was told by verizon that they canceled the service when i switched. i still had the southern illinois unlimited plan and was not under contract at this time. I am not obligated to pay that bill when i didnt have the service for a mere 10 days! I am very upset with the way i was treated on the phone with customer service not ten mins ago!! So you have lost not one client, yet three because after this situation i informed my family about what just happened and they are going to a different service provider too! I'm not a difficult person usually, a matter of fact i dealt with this for too long. I just want alltel to stop sending me collection letters for something that is completely out of the question. I am very unsatisfied with your customer support, they didnt support me in any way all nine of them!!