Citibankhiding assets in order to charge monthly fee

My net worth with Citibank shows as being over $100 K on my statements in 2011 which entitles me to have a free Citi Gold account. However, I was charged a $30 dollar monthly service charge for October. I called Citibank on 11/2/2011 and was told that what I see on my statement is not what is counted as net worth at Citibank. My Annuity purchased by Citicorp Brokerage for me held by Hartford is subtracted but not shown on my account. I was told that what I see on my statement is not the real value that they use to calculate whether or not I qualify for a Citigold account. They deduct the $5.5 K Hartford Annuity from the rest of my holdings when assessing my "real" net worth with Citibank. I was never informed of this. It is a cheat performed by Citibank to extract charges by hiding this information. If it is included in my statement as part of my net worth then that should be the sum used to qualify for or not qualify for a free Citigold account.

• Co
    Connie M. Lewis Feb 29, 2012

Went to cash a check but, I needed 25cents to put into meter. I signed the check, swiped my card, enter pin number and ask for a quarter and go outside, be right back. The clerk refuse to do this. I ask if the other girl was here."No." With this attitude there was no excuse for. I will get a ticket. I wil not return to this bank again. Just give me my money (check I'm cashing). She closed the account. What! I did not say that. I left upset. This is unacceptable.

• There's nothing to clarify.

• So if everyone kept balanced check registers, the banks would have charge some monthly fee across the board. Then you'd have to contend with all the "bookkeepping savvy" customers who have never incurred fees of any kind.

• Well maybe the consumers are tired of people like you defending the banks criminal actions. Credit unions are far better.

• port4u Nov 09, 2011

To conclude: Because Citibank chooses not to put the net value of my accounts that are used to calculate whether or not I qualify for a CitiGold account on my monthly statement I was not able to know when I was under the amount required to qualify for a CitiGold account. If I had seen the amount drop below $100K (which it did not on the statement) I would have taken steps to downgrade my account in order to avoid the $30 monthly fee. This is why I am claiming that Citibank is hiding information in order to charge fees. I have tried to explain this in many ways. Does anyone agree with what I am saying?

• port4u Nov 09, 2011

I am still not getting my point across. THE TOTAL ON MY STATEMENT IS NOT THE TOTAL USED TO CALCULATE MY NET WORTH. THE TOTAL THAT CITIBANK USES SHOULD BE ON MY STATEMENT. I should not have to figure it out or dig for the exceptions. I want the total used to calculate whether or not I still qualify for a CitiGold account to be listed ON THE STATEMENT. Ellen posts a short blurb of the vague rules and regulations for a CitiGold account which has nothing to do with my issue.

• English Ian Nov 04, 2011

yo. (M)ellen67. Agreed.

• Nice copy and paste job Ellen. Anyone could do that.

• Excellent review!

• port4u Nov 03, 2011

The list of what is included cover annuities the way I read it. The annuity is included in the total in my Citibank investment account. This should be the total worth of investments to include with my checking and savings. This final amount should be the amount that Citibank uses to ascertain weather or not I qualify for a Citigold account. Does any one agree with me?

• port4u Nov 03, 2011

I appreciate the feedback on my complaint. In response to Elen67: I tried looking up the details of what is not allowed in the tally of one's worth at Citibank. I can no t find anything online that says that annuities are excluded. You are missing the point here. I could not find a list of exclusion on Citibank's site. It is not possible for me to know all the minute details and loopholes. The point is Citibank provides a total of my worth on the statement. It is not a true total. It should be minus the annuity that Citibank does not count as part of my total worth at Citibank. I have always been aware of the basic conditions of the account. The drop in the stock market caused the hidden exclusion to surface. The exclusions should be included in the statement summery; especially since Citibank includes that annuity on my brokerage statements. Tell me why not including this deduction from the total is OK?

• St
    Stopthebs Nov 02, 2011

The terms and conditions say you are wrong. No cheating here.

janice jacobs Aug 22, 2010

gastric pain

JamesJoyce7 Jun 09, 2010

boo hoo! and gas went up too and the sun wasnt bright enough today!! let's all cry about stupid things because we like to show how stupid we are...

If you don't like the price, don't order checks! the only people that write checks anymore are dying elderly people... so look on the bright side..

you won't have to pay that price much longer! room temperature here you come!

• Sm
    Smith, Mary Aug 18, 2009

This CitiBank charged me too much for my checks.

• Az
    azngrl2x0i Feb 23, 2009

I agree.
    Especially Billy Lo who works at:
    164 Canal St
    New York, NY [protected]

Totally unprofessional and outright rude. As a professional who deals with clients myself, he should definitely be fired.

Anonymous Feb 09, 2009

The employees are not professional and not intelligent when dealing with customers.