Menu

reviews & complaints

CarTrawler Complaints Summary

12 Resolved
454 Unresolved
Our verdict: If considering services from CarTrawler with a critical resolution rate, extra caution is advised. Examine detailed customer feedback to understand the severity and nature of unresolved issues. Be prepared for the possibility of unsatisfactory responses and have contingency plans, including seeking assistance from consumer advocacy groups if necessary.
File a complaint
Verified
The authenticity of the customer service contact information for CarTrawler has been meticulously verified by representatives from ComplaintsBoard using our proprietary verification system.
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of CarTrawler. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
Claim Your Business
Take control of your profile: address complaints and engage with reviews

CarTrawler complaints 466

Sort by:

Newest CarTrawler reviews & complaints

N
5:10 am EDT

CarTrawler not a good service

Hi

This is my 2nd experience with Cartrawler, the last one was in south africa when i wanted to extend my rent a car, no one was helping out and i spent so much money on phone calls and was charged double for the rental.

This time its about shuttle, I would like to cancel my shuttle facility in lisbon and have tried trough mange booking, email but nothing seems to work.

I am also going to write to EK to stop dealing with you as there is no service.

Could you please cancel my shuttle booked under NIlofer Lalani, PT [protected], its for 6th July.

Kindly reply.

Nilofer Lalani

Head of Travel

The Aga Khan University

12:36 pm EDT

CarTrawler ie854727720

43 Pinewood Green Avenue
Balbriggan, Co Dublin

Subject: Requested refund / Final Complaint Letter (Res no: IE854727720)
30/06/2018

To Whom It May Concern,

I would like to outline the situation what happened on 9th December 2017.
My partner Wayne Reilly and myself Judit Filipas booked a car together with my credit card online.
We paid 66 Eur online as we planned to take our children to see Santa down the country.
I work at Dublin Airport so we wanted to collect the car that we paid for from the airport. When we arrived to Hertz at Dublin Airport with our 3 children we were told that we can`t have the car.
The staff member was very unhelpful and not even willing to give us any advice what to do or not even offering any other possibilities like that we could pay insurance per day.. so nothing at all. When I asked him to make phone calls to solve the situation he refused it and when I asked for my refund as I have already paid for the car for 2 days that we did not receive I was told I can only do that by email or by post but not with him.
It was such an unpleasant and inconvenience situation for us being demeaned so much in front of our children. The children were very upset and we did not receive any help or any car at all. I would like to emphasize that there was no cancellation from our side! We needed the car that we paid for. So we got no service no car but we were still charged. Now I am looking for a full refund for the 66Eur and also for my credit card fees that I had been charged for. Also I am looking for an apology from your management for all the stress and all the inconvenience that this situation caused for me and my family. I would like to advise you that there was no alternation or cancellation made (from the customer side) after collection as there was no collection of the car as we were not given any car. There was no service provided at all by Hertz!
I am entered into a contract of service and terms & conditions are attached to it. Both consumer and trader are bounded to it. At the review at the terms & conditions the trader is failing to act inside them.
I am viewing it as a breach of a contract. I am looking to have the above mentioned refund by the latest 10th July 2018.
I have been in contact with the CCPC and I am looking to raise this with the Car Rental Council of Ireland . I am also looking to put a claim to the Small Claims Court.
My email address is: [protected]@gmail.com
Mobile: [protected]
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
Judit Filipas

B
2:18 pm EDT

CarTrawler international driver's licence

Dear sir or madam

We sent the following email to your address at [protected]@cartrawler.com on 11 June 2018, but to date we have not yet received any response from CarTrawler:

"We recently booked a car through your company for collection at Olbia Airport in Sardinia on 23 May, to be returned to the same venue a week later. See your email confirmation below, dated 16 May.

Three days later, you sent us a reminder (attached hereto), informing us of the ‘mandatory documents' necessary to produce when collecting the car:

"Without these mandatory documents you cannot collect your car

Credit card in the name of the lead driver, with a large enough limit to cover the excess ( EUR 2500.00 )

Full driver's licence in the name of the lead driver

Valid photo ID (i.e. passport)

Present this email at the desk when picking up your car

Please see your voucher for the full list of mandatory documents."

You did not inform us that, in addition to these documents, an international driver's licence would be required. It is true that this is mentioned by the car rental company in their voucher. However, in the light of our own experience in various parts of the world, including the USA and Europe (Greece), we never imagined that this would be regarded as a ‘mandatory document' in rural Sardinia. We were fortified in this belief by your communication quoted above and hence did not bother to obtain an international driver's licence prior to our holiday.

We were wrong. Not only did the car rental company refuse to hand us the car in the absence of such international driver's licence, but we had to forfeit an amount as EUR 50 as a cancellation fee, as well as the amount of EUR 44.96 paid to your insurer, Chubb, as standard car rental excess insurance for the rental period. Fortunately a potentially disastrous start to our holiday was averted when we were able to obtain a similar vehicle from a large competitor at the same venue — without the requirement of an international driver's licence.

In the light of these facts and on reflection, it appears to us that the penalty incurred by us are therefore inappropriate and unjustified. We accordingly call upon you to refund to us the amounts forfeited.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

E-mail [protected]@iafrica.com

M
12:58 pm EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

CarTrawler car rental with dollar

Had a car rented at the pittsburgh, pa airport on june 10 for one week. When I arrived, I discovered that I had forgotten my driver's license. They would not rent the car to me. That much I understand. But my fiancé was there with me and we attempted to complete the rental using her driver's license and she would be the driver. They would not complete the original rental, but they turned around and rented us another car using her driver's license. Then I was billed for the original rental plus the one my fiancé rented. Why? Why could you not have completed the original rental? Your rigidity in following some stupid regulations has cost you a customer, as I will never rent from any company using cartrawler and I will inform all my friends and post complaints to your website and to companies who use your services whenever I get the urge. There is something called "common sense", which you obviously don't understand or choose to ignore in order to make a few extra dollars. I can only repeat that my fiance tried to complete the reservation using her driver's license, but was unable to do so. I was right there with her. Please explain why that was unsatisfactory without quoting me some arcane regulations that should not have applied in this case. Why is it more important to you to make a couple hundred extra dollars instead of making a satisfied customer who would use your services again? I do not understand your logic. Also, when I originally filed a complaint, I was told a "customer care representative" would be contacting me to "give me regular updates".
Never once heard from anyone until tomasz sent me an email with the results of your "investigation". This whole process has been a not very funny joke from a company that has no idea what constitutes fairness.
Booking ref: us9911260444

C
10:02 am EDT

CarTrawler cae hired did not turn up

Booking Ref: ES950536680
Booked a car from Menorca airport foe an unbelievable price. Checked out all of the reviews and decided Holiday Autos were a reputable company as they scored highly. Arrived at the public meeting zone on the car park as per the instructions and there was no sign of Holiday Auto's. Asked the other companies who were there and they said that yes this was the right place but they had not seen anybody from Holiday Autos that day. Called the local number to which there was not reply, waited and kept trying the local number. After about 6 calls it was answered and I was told the shuttle bus would be with us in a few minutes. Over 20 unanswered calls and 2 hours it became apparent that the shuttle bus was not going to turn up. Ended up hiring from Europcar in the terminal, more pricey but at least they had a car. Was willing to give Holiday Autos the benefit of doubt on the basis they had good reviews. Reported this on return from holiday and was told a resolution could take up to 20 days which has now passed and I have heard nothing.

K
9:28 pm EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

CarTrawler unauthorised credit card charges

I booked a car hire deal through Ryanair in April 2018, when also booking flights, for July / August at Mallorca.
I selcted this online booking for the car hire from 26.7. to 6.8.2018 and paid with this booking an amount of 157.61 Euro, net of transfer fees.
When I had receivecd the confirmation of this booking / payment I discovered that the system had booked for a 7 day hire period, not as I had asked, as above, an 11 day hire period.
I addressed that by ringing your helpline and was told that extra money would be payable to make up for the shortfall. I authorised for this to take place using the credit card details that had been used to make the booking in the first place. I took it that I was now paying the balance. When the voucher for the correct hire timing arrived I discovered that the total payable was 303.86 Euro. I expected thus that I had paid the balance of 303.86 minus 157.61, i.e. 146.25 Euro. This seemed excessive since the hire period of 7 days for 157.61 was a lot lower per day of hire than 146.25 Euro for the remaining 4 days. In any event what I then discovered when the credit card statement arrived around 7. May was that I had been charged not a total of 303.86 Euro but a total of 365.87 Euro.
From our nominated credit card account cartrawler withdrew 62.01 Euro more than the hire voucher states.
Please explain why!
Booking Number: ES962530400

Kurt Nesseler

A
6:59 am EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

CarTrawler provider was unable to provide service

this is details emailed to Cartrawler on 02.05.2017 on my return, I am still waiting for an reply - Ryanair customer service provided the service as the booking was made through the Ryanair website at time of booking flights.

From: Carroll, Angela
Sent: 02 May 2018 14:21
To: [protected]@cartrawler.com
Subject: car hire reference IE951999720

I booked a car through you for my trip to Ireland with Ryan Air on 29.04.2018 - Hertz the car provider were unable to provide the service as they did not have a machine to accept chip and pin credit card - and were not able to accept any other method of payment - I had then to approach another car hire firm who had the facility to accept chip and pin - for this reason I would like a refund - [protected]@gmail.com.

Mary Angela Carroll
[protected]

M
4:58 am EDT

CarTrawler car hire

I selected a Mercedes Vito on the website and paid the booking and was then confirmed as a Renault. I went on the website and tried to change the vehicle but the price for the Mercedes was now nearly twice the pre booked price.
Feeling ripped off I went to cancel and was presented with a web chat option that didn't work. I tried the Cartrawler phone number in Dublin which didn't work and then the London number which just rang out.

Cartrawler - please contact me to remedy what might be a mistake otherwise I have jus been conned by you !

I have all the screenshots to back this up...

9:33 am EDT

CarTrawler charges to my credit card

Advantage car rental us839519080, I hired my car on may 11 and returned it on may 25, on may 28 a charge of £46.40 was put on my credit card this was no problem as I was due to pay road tolls.

But on june 5 another charge of £175.52 was put on my card with no explanation as to why so I have no other information I can add to this complaint,
James hill hyslop
53 cuthelton street
Glasgow g31 4ny

10:25 am EDT

CarTrawler car rent in manila by avis and car trawler

I have paid for rent a car in manila by avis. The car compani reject this deal because of my driver licence from Norway. He do not understand Norwegen but it is a legal driver licence and he told me I should get my money back. I have tried to connect by CarTrawler my Booking nr. is PH930703960 . I do not get rent this car and i do not get any answere on my e-mail adr. [protected]@hotmail.no

U
7:28 am EDT

CarTrawler car location

Hello,
we went through your services last May for the rental of a vehicle to palermo.
Only, after having been debited 64.96 by your services, I was then surprised to be debited 73.20 per Hertz.
I therefore contacted them to have a relboursemebt and according to them they are not entird and the request for preliminary contact. can you tell me why I paid twice my bill.
Thank you for speedy return.
Thank you to read the attachments and emails exchanged with hertz
I am reachable at [protected] (France)
Mrs clary audrey

Y
5:11 am EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

CarTrawler taxi booking - not turning up

- Booking Reference: AE979589080
- Pick up point: Dubai international airport (Terminal 3)
- Pick up time: 20:30, May 27 2018

Hello, I am really upset with your taxi service I have booked through Emirates website. I have never heard of your company name & just booked airport pick up service through Emirates. I could use Uber taxi but I wanted to minimise the waiting time that is why I booked the service in advance.

The flight arrived on time, but I could not find my name among taxi drivers.
I waited almost 30 minutes with my family (I have a little baby too) and eventually I had to call the taxi company.
I am told by them I have to wait another 30 minutes. What an absolute joke!
So I said no way I will spend another 30 minutes, and instead I had to book Uber.

This is 100% your fault that the taxi driver did not turn up on time & did not advise the passenger about the delay.
If I did not call the taxi, I would probably wait who knows how many hours...!

This is my first visit to Dubai, and you absolutely ruined my 1st day in Dubai.
I got blame from my family for this... Why should I get the blame for which I did not do?

Anyway, after arriving in the hotel, I tried to log my complaint through your website and system error keep occurred!
And now I have managed to find this email address that is why I am emailing you now.

I have not heard anything from you after the incident & I want full refund ASAP!

4:02 pm EDT

CarTrawler rental car cancellation

On 5-23-18 I noticed that the pickup time cartrawler had listed for me to get my rental car at Reykjavík airport on 5-26-18 was incorrect. The agent I spoke to told me he needed to cancel that reservation and give me a new one at a price of about 527 USD. I had previously paid 475 USD for the original reservation. He said the 475USD would be rolled forward onto the new reservation, leaving me a balance due of about 52 USD. But at the airport the Budget agent had no record of this rollover payment and forced me to pay 527USD and extras. It seems Cartrawler had booked the first reservation with a different agency and Budget had no knowledge of that. In addition Budget said it doesn't even recognize or deal with Cartrawler. I am demanding to find out whether I was charged twice for this rental due to the Cartrawler agent's error. If so I expect a full refund of the original charge on my card. The first booking number was IS795841760. That should've been canceled. The new booking number with Budget is IS830411090. Please confirm my first booking was canceled and I was not charged twice!from marguerite skorepa and James l lewis 2020 east reserve circle Avon Ohio 44011 email is m.[protected]@gmail.com cell is [protected] another email is [protected]@gmail.com

Update by James M lewis
May 30, 2018 4:04 pm EDT

Please advise to m.lewis0123@gmail.com

9:02 am EDT

CarTrawler car rental

I want my $235.88 reimbursed. Car trawler scammed me and I will not stop fighting this. I was supposed to pay a remainder of $96 when i went to go pick up the car at Thirfty on January 13, 2018, with the fact that i paid the prepaid amount of $235.88. When i got there the desk at thirsty said that prepaid amount has nothing to do with them. I to upset and called Cartrawler saying i won't get the car. I believe the way i spoke made the situation more confusing. The agent i spoke to understood i didn't get there car. I did get the car, that isn't the issue. The issue is, i was charged the full amount when i got to thirsty, so i want to know where di my $235.88 prepaid amount go? Car trawler stole it! I rent cars all the time and would never pay the amount that i did. When asking the desk at Thirfty they told me to call car trawler and work it out. So i had to pay the full amount if i wanted the car. I spoke to many agents at Cartrawler and no one is getting back to me. Sneaks and snakes these workers at Cartrawler are. If they had nothing to hide then why isn't customer service calling me back, when told by agents i will get a call from customer service. Trust me when i say, i will not stop fighting until i have whats right, my $235.88 back.
Thank you. If i don't hear from you, you will hear from me.

Sophia Marrapodi
[protected]@gmail.com)

D
6:48 am EDT

CarTrawler transfer riva del garda to verona airport

Ref IT962688240 Fox Transfers
When I completed the details I was asked for pick up time which I put as our flight time (as was the information required when picked up from the airport to the hotel. I stated in the 'comments that this was the flight time as the transfer company always calculates the pick up time as I have no way of knowing traffic etc. Having not had any confirmation I rang the evening before the pick up was due only to be told that our pick up was the flight time. Having spoken to 2 people I was informed that the time could not be altered and I and my 3 fellow passengers were left stranded in Lake Garda, and they refused to refund my money. Had it not been for the very helpful hotel we may well of missed our flight and I am now 160 euros out of pocket.
In twenty years of booking transfers I have always had to give the flight time and the company calculates the journey time. If this was different then why did nobody read my comment and question it. What is the point of a comments field if no one reads it. I feel that I should be entitled to at least a refund!
D Curtis

A
2:11 am EDT

CarTrawler booking

I attempted an on-line booking for a pick-up at rome airport on the 18th september 2018. Car trawler took a £20 deposit. However, we never received an email confirmation. Waited several days and became nervous. Eventually contacted american express to retrieve the £20 deposit.
In the meantime we have organised another car hire.
American express advised me that the booking was legitimate and provided me documentation from yourselves with a booking reference - it923917440. Booking made under my son-in-law's name as he is the lead driver. Email address [protected]@gmail.com.
I have tried to access the booking using all the relevant information and your system does not recognise the booking.
I need to cancel this booking please? And the original £20 deposit returning.
We made the reservation in good faith and somehow your system has not worked on this occasion.
I look forward to hearing from you.
[protected]@gmail.com

Copy of screen print provided showing problem of accessing booking

G
12:53 pm EDT

CarTrawler car rental reference number it939464240

I rented a car through your service from 5/2 to 5/19. The car was rented in Rome with Locauto and paid in advance. I returned the car on 5/17. Locuato refused to give me a refund for the 2 days not used. It does not seem fair that Locuato has the car that I paid for those 2 days and could rent it to someone else. As a result getting double payment on the car. You should not do business with a company that has this unfair business practice. I would like to have a refund for the 2 days not used. Please help me get that refund. MY email is [protected]@aol.com.

Thank you.

3:45 am EDT

CarTrawler car hire

I booked a car through Ryan Air to collect at East Midlands airport. When I arrived at the airport, despite numerous calls to the office of Esirent no-one was available. As it was about 9.30pm I had to take a taxi to my accommodation which cost me 25 sterling

The following morning I called the office a number of times and finally had to call customer service. I was unable to collect the car until about 11 am and had to take another taxi back to the airport.

I have made a number of complaints to the company directly but have had no positive response.

E
12:58 pm EDT

CarTrawler wrong car referens it970878600

Hello, when the message on the web is not working or the email either, I ask the question and expect quick response.

At the airport in Milan Daniella the manager At Avis/Budget/Maggiore refused to give me the carmodell i booked with Norwegian. She told me that you fooled me?
I booked this model Fiat 124 Soider to enjoy my 50 year anniversery in Piemonte with my wife. Now i driving a **** Alfa sedan. I tried to reach you serveral times, now my question is how will you solv this.

They had the car I ordered available Fiat 124 Spider but refuse to hand it out to me. Daniella who is responsible for the station refuses to hand it over to us because you have left the wrong information?
I had chosen this 2-seater convertible model due to my 50th anniversary when we first traveled without our children.

How do we proceed with this? I can not describe my anger when they refused to give me the car I booked through your service as you offer Norwegian Airlines

Kindly erik

Med vänlig hälsning
Erik Pettersson
+[protected]

E
4:45 pm EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

CarTrawler transfer to lisbon airport unsatisfactory

Reservation PT964646520 / [protected]/[protected] (via Ryanair Transfers)

I booked two transfers with you (reservation numbers above) for a trip to Lisbon last week. The first, from the airport to the city was without incident and we were happy with it. The second on the way home was less satisfactory.

The transfer was due to pick seven of us up outside our accommodation at 2.40pm on Sunday and I had given the company the exact address including street number the previous week. We were 10 minutes early and were standing on the street with suitcases. When the pick up time passed we tried contacting the number given, and when we eventually got through we were told that the driver hadn't been able to find us and that they could send another driver for 4.30pm. With our gate for the flight closing at 5.10pm this wasn't an option. The person then said that they would send someone in the next 20 minutes. We waited for over half an hour, trying several times to call the number and finding that it was constantly engaged. It got to 3.30pm and we had to make the decision to get two taxis to the airport as we were worried about missing our flight. We sent a text to say this is what we had done because we weren't getting through on the phone line.

Whilst I appreciate that communication on mobiles can be difficult due to reception, lines being engaged and so on, the point of the matter is that we were where we said we would be in plenty of time and waited in total for an hour for a service that I had already paid for. It made for a very fraught end to our trip. I would appreciate your company at least reimbursing me for the cost of the journey, which in itself is not much over £17, particularly given that we had to pay for two taxis on top of having already paid for the transfer.

I look forward to hearing from you

Emily Roberts (booked under name of Eloise Flint)

Update by Eerf
May 16, 2018 4:50 pm EDT

Why has my above comment been displayed? I was trying to submit an email complaint having had every email I tried to send you come back as "undeliverable". Please remove it on my behalf. Thank you.

Trust badge
Collect Your Trust Badge
Be recognized for outstanding customer service

CarTrawler contacts