Having problems with CarTrawler?

CarTrawler reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Dec 29, 2009. The latest review Car non rental was posted on Jul 9, 2021. The latest complaint Refund. Booking number ES504044120 was resolved on Aug 11, 2020. CarTrawler has an average consumer rating of 1 stars from 360 reviews. CarTrawler has resolved 11 complaints.

CarTrawler Customer Service Contacts

+353 14 999 600 (Ireland)
+44 203 582 8218 (United Kingdom)
+1 855 454 9316 (USA & Canada)
+61 280 152 643 (Australia)
+31 707 709 339 (Netherlands)
+351 213 665 562 (Portugal)
+62 21 2975 8990 (Indonesia)
+60 154 877 0821 (Malaysia)
+63 22 469 082 (Philippines)
+65 31 589 183 (Singapore)
+27 214 277 990 (South Africa)
+82 264 339 523 (South Korea)
+66 21 055 765 (Thailand)
+54 115 984 3539 (Argentina)
Classon House, Dundrum Business Park, Dundrum
Dublin 14
Ireland

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with CarTrawler Customer Service. Initial CarTrawler complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for CarTrawler above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about CarTrawler. Discuss the issues you have had with CarTrawler and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

CarTrawler Complaints & Reviews, Page 11

CarTrawlercarbire

I recently booked my flights an carhire via Ryanair but wen got to Dublin airport carhire said there was no booking in my name for that date .after full hour of searching they found my booking but was told car was for karkow in Poland which I haven't even heard of . They were so rude said was no cars even if I did want to rebook a car as I was then stranded at Dublin airport. My flight arrived at 7.30 am but was 3 pm before my cousin drove from Donegal to collect me .
I finally home and after speaking to someone at your office who was more than helpful he told me I had two cars on hire an infact was one at Dublin airport which is very annoying as my cousin had to make 3 hour trip to collect me please can you look at matter on this an my other booking to get a full refund as obs I only made Dublin reservation I have never heard of other destination many thanks debbie Brady

CarTrawlerground transport - unacceptable

After 12 days of trying to resolve my complaint via CarTrawler website (case shows as registered but not moved to next stage "under investigation" in 12 whole days) and call centre number (I have spent 3 calls, each of 30 minutes on hold in the IVR due to "high call volumes"), I am hoping that their Cust Serv team review these sites instead.

I had booked a Transfer via Emirates Airline App (facilitated by CarTrawler) for my wife and kids at LAX so that they didnt have to try and find a large taxi or squeeze into an Uber.
    The booking was for a Luxury SUV and the confirmation detailed that there would be someone with a sign in the Arrivals Hall.
    When my wife and kids arrived after their 11 hour flight (15 hours travelling), there was no one to meet them. I called the number provided and was told that they do not meet inside (contrary to the confirmation) and that my wife should make her way outside and stand on the curb looking for a black Van.
    Apparently the Van was too big for the car park and he was not allowed to wait curbside so he kept driving loops around the terminal, it took 20 minutes+ and $50 of international calling to unite the driver with my family.
    Far from being collected safely in the terminal by the driver and transported in a luxury SUV they were left wondering around outside at 10pm at night looking for a "van" amongst hundreds of vehicles passing by.
    The process of trying to deal with Cartrwaler has made the experience all the worse as it is not possible to speak to anyone and I am not getting any response on email, webchat, call or the dedicated complaints portal

CarTrawler — transportation services

My booking refference is US383325670, I got email confirmation plus notification of payment. However my car...

CarTrawlerglobal/megadrive/ buchbinder

Dear Sir/Madam.

Recently travelled to Hungary for a leisure trip with my 3 year old (3rd july-14th) I have hired a car from global through Ryanair, was similar price on jet 2 car hire and wizz air car hire. So I optioned for this company based my booking on the information provided by those reviews saying it is a good company. Unfortunately they were awful! When I when to pick car up at the handover desk was lack of information such as no spare tire was in car and I could pay for one if I wanted to, which turned out later, but was not pointed out when I made the booking. As they offered everything else from child seat to snow kit but spare tyre. Which I found also alarming but never bothered the company gave me the car not global but buchbinder and then it had German registration. Was not happy about it at all. Nobody went through some basic information about the insurance I had but wanted to sell me a another one.noone came out to meet me at the car a to talk me through how the car works and I am I ok left hand driving especially with a toddler or what do you do in emergency where is your kit and what you need to do on Hungarian territory what ate the speed limits etc. Then I drove off when again noticed something but not bothered that the car meant to be full tank but was under line one just leaving Liszt Ferenc airport. The story gets interesting when on the Monday the 9th July after a day trip the engine light came up. When I rang/emailed them I have been ensured that is for the 30000km service. Not sure why it has not been done before the car was passed over to me. After I have been ensured all is fine went for another day trip on Tuesday the 10th, great day so we only left around 7pm to home however shortly after I realised something is not going right so I stopped and the front right tyre was completely flat. My battery was on a die so I rang the customer service at the desk straight away no one picked up after 3 calls there tried the mobile number which worked, however the lady explained she cannot do much now try to pump tyre up get on the next place we can get a tyre (7:30!pm). I gave her my exact location but she has not done nothing. Apparently she tried to ring me not sure why she not left a voicemail so when my phone got charged up could have been re-assured. So I was left in the middle if the hills with a 3 year old with no money, no breakdown cover, no food luckily we had plenty of water and petrol in the car. We had to pull over when the tyre completely split in half nowhere near the town we should got to what I could do to ringtheir emergency line as no one answered the Hungarian lines even though knowing a child is on the road and a pregnant woman. I was so scared for my little one and myself how we will get home. Anyway tried the emergency number where it took me the 5th person to understand me. They could not help me as by then my location was not sure as I moved on and did had no data left to check on Google map myself. Luckily people passing by got me help and got me some telephone numbers to ring up for break down help. I managed to phone one who was very rude and demanded unreasonable amount for help. Then said either I pay if you live in england or you can stuck with no help he rather have another drink. I am glad he could not help as he clearly had a drink, however the threat made me feel extremely vulnerable. What if...?! Then I tried the other number given to me that guy was very helpful and sorted someone who was willing to change my tyre. That was passed 11pm. 4 hours passed since I asked help from my car hire people. 2 hours passed since I spoke to the German helpdesk. Then someone rang me at 11:40 ish from the Hungarian site asking for my location and offering to look for some breakdown cover...and they would take me to a dealership where next morning they can change my tyre. She was very unimpressed that I have been left hanging for hours with a little one. Said why I did not pay for a tyre? I said no one mentioned to me. Then asked what will I do til the morning, then she said that is not her concern. That point I thanked her help and said ring back in the morning. I was furious! In her concern a good year tyre was more important than 2 people's life. Careless in my view. The rescue took me in meantime to the tyre place where it turned out the actual wheel was damaged had to pay out 120 all together with no money I had to ask friends to transfer the money. Ended up getting home sick and worried by 2:30am.then rang me at 8am ish how the car is? Well it is fine had a working tyre on, but I was in bits. The shock I had to go through overnight, the helpfulness of the company. My next day was wasted to. This experience ruined the rest if my holiday. I was worried driving the car, so did not go far. I definitely missed out on the rest of my next 5 days. When I returned the car someone was there and wanted to check the car over with me very eagerly. I said if you not given me the car with same cortousness how come is now? They just wanted to spot everything wrong so they can charge me. They said tank was not full, took a picture. Then said tyre was no good, I explained I had an accident but I did not put good year tyre back on. The dealership not had one, but it had full working tyre on with same requirements. They charged me another £158.00 . On the top of what I already had to pay out. (120) plus the car rental if £200.00 was my most expensive car hire ever. Then they sent the bill in German when asked for englush or Hungarian copy reply was I can pay for one €60 plus 17% airport fee! What kind of joke is that? So I don't have a clear understanding what was the money for?! Still.dont know, apart the €48 handling charge which they offered to return to.me but still not done. The tyre cost in their view €60 odd pounds and if you change 1 you need to change 2???!! Why I am reliable for that? I provided the car back with full working tyre. They had records of my troubles. Still handled me as a dirt. I must say even though you take out their insurance covering tyres etc it does not give you breakdown cover! You still have to go through this misery! And wanted to say when the lady said I can pay for a spare tyre they would have charged me for 2 as the spate tyre replacement and another tyre? This company should not exist. I read all other rewiews after my incident. I wish he er booked through the airlines as those ratings are false. I am taking my claim further to the airlines.as this company should not make so much out vulnerable people who want to have relaxing time after years of hard work. Making the time their bitter and r7nning their company incompetent. Looking forward to your kind reply!

CarTrawleradded payment on hire car

Dear Cartrawler, I booked my hire car through Ryanair and paid by credit card.I filled in everything as required adding my age (75 years), when I received my documents it clearly states SENIOR DRIVER fee included.The booking number was ES965985880 with Centauro car hire .When I went to pick the car up they said I had to pay another 70 Euro's for the senior citizen, I pointed out to them and showed them my confirmation letter stating the senior driver was included in the price.They refused to accept this and stated that when the car is booked through a broker they do not get that fee and it was down to me to get in touch with who I booked it through for a refund, as you can imagine this was not a good start to our holiday.Also the car never had a full tank of petrol as stated so I was told to only fill up 70% when I return, have you ever tried putting in 70% of petrol while heading back to the airport.
        Hope you can help thanks Alan Hobbs

CarTrawler — I have been abusée in sicily : number of reservation it831549690

I reserved by dégrif auto a fiât 500 at the airport of palermo my n'aime is nadine millet for 88.10 € from...

Palermo

CarTrawlerie363829150

On June 30th I hired a van for my trip in Dublin that had to take place from July 20 to July 27. I was directed to Sixt (FLIZZR) at that Dublin airport and I got my van. The first night the exterior rear mirror was broken and I came back to Sixtz to get it fixed or change the van. The employee there told me that as I could not drive with the broken mirror and they could not give me another van as their policy does not allow to change the car the first day. He told me that I should complain and have my money back.Therefore I could not have any car for that week and this is why I am complaining to have my money back. My email address is Chente.[protected]@hotmail.com.
          Thanks. Vicente.

CarTrawlercity transfer

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN

I received the information below by email 27/07/2008 after booking transfer via Emirates website and paying by Visa

** Email Subject: Booking Confirmation For Your Transfer - AU383755470
            "Dear George Pantahos,
            Thank you for booking your transfer with Cartrawler, in association with Emirates.
            Your booking reference number is: AU383755470.
            Transfer Details
            Pick-up location: Adelaide - Airport (ADL)
            Pick-up time: 20:30 Friday, July 27, 2018
            Drop-off location: [removed] [removed] Australia "**

The Voucher attached to the email included the additional information as follows:

**Customer reference AU383755470
            Provider Reference Number 74228
            Directions
            Your driver will be waiting for you, with your name on a board, at the following meeting point: INTERNATIONAL ARRIVALS: customs exit. Your price includes 60 minutes of waiting time, from your flight arrival. DOMESTIC ARRIVALS: main terminal at ground floor escalators . Your price includes 60 minutes of waiting time, from your flight arrival. If you do not find your driver or experience an unexpected delay, please contact the local supplier IMMEDIATELY on the following number +[protected] for assistance.

Adelaide - Airport (ADL)
            to [removed] [removed] Australia
            27 Jul 20:30
            Blue Ribbon Limousines
            Provider:  +[protected]

Flight number Ek440

*** End of information per email received***

On arrival at Adelaide Airport there was no car waiting for us. I went to the Emirates counter and they called the number and was told by Jacquie at Blue Ribbon Limousines that they had no record of this booking. I also spoke to Daniel the owner of the Blue Ribbon and said that they do not deal with Emirates or cartrawler. I asked how it is that Blue Ribbon appears on the voucher and booking confirmation and how do I get my money back? he could not answer that.
            Today I rang Emirates for some answers and they also washed their hands of this incident.

So what kind of organisation is cartrawler putting customers like me in this predicament??

After 20 hours of flying I spent over 1 hour in the airport trying to find the transfer (that didn't exist) then ultimately had to line up with my family in the cold for a taxi.

I expect a full refund plus compensation and an explanation of how this occurred.

I can be contacted on [protected] during office hours.

If you provide your email address I can forward you the booking confirmation emails that I received.

This is an appalling state of affairs and I will be making it known to the regulatory authorities

George Pantahos

CarTrawlercharge for airport booking which was stated as being included in the final price on the quote.

I have emailed both AVIS and Cartrawler on numerous occasions to try to resolve this issue.

"Cartrawler please advise.

We have just returned from a wonderful trip to Italy with a very nice car hired from AVIS Cagliari, Sardinia. We are under the impression that the airport pickup fee is included in the total price as per your email to us, but the invoice reflects an airport surcharge of Euro 62.66 plus VAT of 22%, a total of Euro 80.84 extra.

Kindly arrange for a refund to be credited to my cc.

Many thanks

Brian Down
              [protected]"

Your car hire voucher -- IT976881960
              Confirmation no. 20132460UE5

I am unable to upload the copy of the invoice or the quote from Cartrawler, but if you type this link into the browser, the invoice should show.

To download your fiscal document press the following link (AVIS invoice link)(https://www.autonoleggidemontis.it/scarica-fattura/),
              - enter the number of Rental Agreement or Reservation Number (including all dashes),
              - and at least one of the three following fields: first name, last name, social security number (fiscal code for a person) or Value Added Tax Number (V.A.T. for a legal entity).

Once you have done an initial assessment, please email me and I can send the documents and copies of the email requests.

Many thanks

Brian

• Updated by Briandown · Jul 24, 2018

Reservation reference # HR [protected] booked through Emirates/Cartrawler on 23 July. Reservation is for pickup in Croatia on 17 August.

My email [email protected]

Thanks Brian

CarTrawler — driver

Good morning, US377900430 I booked a car transportation to airport from Emirtes app and it shows me that i...

CarTrawlercar rental rotterdam airport

Boekingsnummer: NL369213030
                Bevestigingsnummer CTR-[protected]
                Rotterdam The Hague Airport, july 8, 2018 12:15
                leverancier Greenmotion

complaint 1:
                there was no representative of Greenmotion at the airport, therefore there i did not got any car from Greenmotion. I had to hire a car elsewhere.
                So please return my paiment.

complaint 2:
                the mailbox of Car Trawler is full for more than a week, all my mails failed.

Steef van den Braak
                Spain
                +34 [protected]

CarTrawlerrefused car reservation

To whom it may concern,
                  Booking ref:IT365113550

I had a car reservation and insurance for 7-13 July at Centauro car rental in Milan Bergamo Airport purchased through Ryanair website. As I arrived at Centauro office I provided all documents and a bank card for car deposit. Unfortunately my bank card was not accepted by the car rental, stating it is debit but not credit. The person at the desk said it is impossible to use this card, although 4 months ago I rented a car through your portal and used the same card for depositing funds - reservation id:BG888586520. Same person asked me to contact CarTrawler in order to cancel or modify the reservation and the insurance, stating he could not modify or delete it by himself. The person travelling with me had a credit card at hand which was acceptable by the the agent so I called the hotline +[protected] at 15:55 asking to modify or delete the reservation and the insurance before it started. Even though is was not yet 16:00 I was informed that the reservation could not be modified or cancelled because it had already started.

I was told I will receive a mail so I could request partial compensation or at least be assured that the agency is aware on some level that the car is not and never was in my possession. However, the booking status remained successful and I received no notification email while someone else could have driven/used/damaged the car on my behalf.

Please send me an email confirming the real status of the situation because I would like to apply at least for partial compensation. As you can see, I was at the car rental office before the reservation started and I called the support hotline before the reservation started (phone number +[protected] 7.July 15:55 CET- or feel free to check your logs as well)
                  Best Regards
                  Dimitr

CarTrawler — car hire, record, go malaga airport

I complained to Ryanair - this is their reply: "Dear Customer, Thank you for your email. I would like to...

CarTrawlerbooking n. us966594120 (provider reference number 1217367)

In relation to my booking n. US966594120, I inform you that the provider (reference number 1217367) was not at the airport JFK, terminal 4, at 9 pm on July 1 2018.
                    > I arrived at the pick up area at 8 pm and I waited for him until 10 pm. I tried and phone the number showed in the voucher but it was not available.
                    > So, I had to take a taxi to go to Manhattan and I had to spend 70 USD.
                    > Having said that, I ask the refund of 56, 39 EUR paid by credit card.

CarTrawlernot a good service

Hi

This is my 2nd experience with Cartrawler, the last one was in south africa when i wanted to extend my rent a car, no one was helping out and i spent so much money on phone calls and was charged double for the rental.

This time its about shuttle, I would like to cancel my shuttle facility in lisbon and have tried trough mange booking, email but nothing seems to work.

I am also going to write to EK to stop dealing with you as there is no service.

Could you please cancel my shuttle booked under NIlofer Lalani, PT [protected], its for 6th July.

Kindly reply.

Nilofer Lalani

Head of Travel

The Aga Khan University

CarTrawler — ie854727720

43 Pinewood Green Avenue Balbriggan, Co Dublin Subject: Requested refund / Final Complaint Letter (Res no...

CarTrawlerinternational driver's licence

Dear sir or madam

We sent the following email to your address at [protected]@cartrawler.com on 11 June 2018, but to date we have not yet received any response from CarTrawler:

"We recently booked a car through your company for collection at Olbia Airport in Sardinia on 23 May, to be returned to the same venue a week later. See your email confirmation below, dated 16 May.

Three days later, you sent us a reminder (attached hereto), informing us of the ‘mandatory documents' necessary to produce when collecting the car:

"Without these mandatory documents you cannot collect your car

Credit card in the name of the lead driver, with a large enough limit to cover the excess ( EUR 2500.00 )

Full driver's licence in the name of the lead driver

Valid photo ID (i.e. passport)

Present this email at the desk when picking up your car

Please see your voucher for the full list of mandatory documents."

You did not inform us that, in addition to these documents, an international driver's licence would be required. It is true that this is mentioned by the car rental company in their voucher. However, in the light of our own experience in various parts of the world, including the USA and Europe (Greece), we never imagined that this would be regarded as a ‘mandatory document' in rural Sardinia. We were fortified in this belief by your communication quoted above and hence did not bother to obtain an international driver's licence prior to our holiday.

We were wrong. Not only did the car rental company refuse to hand us the car in the absence of such international driver's licence, but we had to forfeit an amount as EUR 50 as a cancellation fee, as well as the amount of EUR 44.96 paid to your insurer, Chubb, as standard car rental excess insurance for the rental period. Fortunately a potentially disastrous start to our holiday was averted when we were able to obtain a similar vehicle from a large competitor at the same venue — without the requirement of an international driver's licence.

In the light of these facts and on reflection, it appears to us that the penalty incurred by us are therefore inappropriate and unjustified. We accordingly call upon you to refund to us the amounts forfeited.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Tel +[protected]
                        Cell +[protected]
                        E-mail [protected]@iafrica.com

CarTrawlercar rental with dollar

Had a car rented at the pittsburgh, pa airport on june 10 for one week. When I arrived, I discovered that I had forgotten my driver's license. They would not rent the car to me. That much I understand. But my fiancé was there with me and we attempted to complete the rental using her driver's license and she would be the driver. They would not complete the original rental, but they turned around and rented us another car using her driver's license. Then I was billed for the original rental plus the one my fiancé rented. Why??? Why could you not have completed the original rental? Your rigidity in following some stupid regulations has cost you a customer, as I will never rent from any company using cartrawler and I will inform all my friends and post complaints to your website and to companies who use your services whenever I get the urge. There is something called "common sense", which you obviously don't understand or choose to ignore in order to make a few extra dollars. I can only repeat that my fiance tried to complete the reservation using her driver's license, but was unable to do so. I was right there with her. Please explain why that was unsatisfactory without quoting me some arcane regulations that should not have applied in this case. Why is it more important to you to make a couple hundred extra dollars instead of making a satisfied customer who would use your services again? I do not understand your logic. Also, when I originally filed a complaint, I was told a "customer care representative" would be contacting me to "give me regular updates".
                          Never once heard from anyone until tomasz sent me an email with the results of your "investigation". This whole process has been a not very funny joke from a company that has no idea what constitutes fairness.
                          Booking ref: us9911260444

CarTrawlercae hired did not turn up

Booking Ref: ES950536680
                            Booked a car from Menorca airport foe an unbelievable price. Checked out all of the reviews and decided Holiday Autos were a reputable company as they scored highly. Arrived at the public meeting zone on the car park as per the instructions and there was no sign of Holiday Auto's. Asked the other companies who were there and they said that yes this was the right place but they had not seen anybody from Holiday Autos that day. Called the local number to which there was not reply, waited and kept trying the local number. After about 6 calls it was answered and I was told the shuttle bus would be with us in a few minutes. Over 20 unanswered calls and 2 hours it became apparent that the shuttle bus was not going to turn up. Ended up hiring from Europcar in the terminal, more pricey but at least they had a car. Was willing to give Holiday Autos the benefit of doubt on the basis they had good reviews. Reported this on return from holiday and was told a resolution could take up to 20 days which has now passed and I have heard nothing.

CarTrawler — unauthorised credit card charges

I booked a car hire deal through Ryanair in April 2018, when also booking flights, for July / August at...