Having problems with CarTrawler?

CarTrawler reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Dec 29, 2009. The latest review Unable to rent car due to poor credit rating. It seems like this could have been handled prior to taking my $735.15 plus my $126.00 for insurance. was posted on May 14, 2021. The latest complaint Refund. Booking number ES504044120 was resolved on Aug 11, 2020. CarTrawler has an average consumer rating of 1 stars from 359 reviews. CarTrawler has resolved 11 complaints.

CarTrawler Customer Service Contacts

+353 14 999 600 (Ireland)
+44 203 582 8218 (United Kingdom)
+1 855 454 9316 (USA & Canada)
+61 280 152 643 (Australia)
+31 707 709 339 (Netherlands)
+351 213 665 562 (Portugal)
+62 21 2975 8990 (Indonesia)
+60 154 877 0821 (Malaysia)
+63 22 469 082 (Philippines)
+65 31 589 183 (Singapore)
+27 214 277 990 (South Africa)
+82 264 339 523 (South Korea)
+66 21 055 765 (Thailand)
+54 115 984 3539 (Argentina)
Classon House, Dundrum Business Park, Dundrum
Dublin 14
Ireland

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with CarTrawler Customer Service. Initial CarTrawler complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for CarTrawler above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about CarTrawler. Discuss the issues you have had with CarTrawler and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

CarTrawler Complaints & Reviews

CarTrawlercar rental

Yesterday morning I made a car rental reservation through CarTrawler. 12 hours later I went to go pick up the car and Dollar Car rental refused to rent me the car claiming my son made the reservations not me. I had added my son as a driver so I thought. Both my son and I pulled out or drivers license, and credit cards but because my son was 21 and only had a debt card they refused to rent the car to me even though I had already paid for prepaid for the rental with my credit card to CarTrawler. We called Cartrawler and let them know there was obviously a misunderstanding and I not my son made the reservation and asked if they could fix it so we could rent the car we paid for. Cartrawler refused to help claiming I did not give them a 24 hour notice and it was not their problem. I asked Dollar Car rental what could I do and they said just cancel the reservation and make a new one. All that needed to be done was change one word on the contact and cartrawler refused to do anything to help and have now stolen my money. I asked to speak with a manager and they said one would call me and I have not heard anything and can no longer get a hold of anyone at Cartrawler. I have never heard of any business that could care less of a product or service they sold you and not refund your money when they do not give you what you paid for. I am 100% sure now this company has no business integrity. That would not correct a name on my contract, would do absolutely nothing to help me get what I paid them for, then stole my money and refused to communicate with me. How any business could do something like this and still exist just blows my mind. All I asked Cartrawler to do was change a first name on my contract which wasn't even 14 hrs old yet and they refused to help me and claimed I didn't give them a 24 hour notice. Dollar Car rental would not rent me the car and Cartrawler took my money. This is the most upfront honest information I can provide and no one will help me.

CarTrawler — never rent here

I placed a reservation and had never used this particular card online at all. Within one day, my account wa...

CarTrawler — rental car - the worst

I had the worst customer service experience ever from this company. I would NEVER recommend this company to...

CarTrawlerthe booking system cheated, not provided car

Booking reference number : it534701010, date 12-july-2015, request a refund. Sudden urgent business trip for 2days to italy. While booking at cartrawler system (Via malpensaairport official web, indicating drivers name of my husband) I paid by my credit card, and the swift has been done immediately. When arrived to rental desk, I found that my husband didn't have credit card on his name with himself (It has been lost). We asked politely to change the driver's name onto my name as first and his name as second driver - what could be more easier to change 2words (Especially when booking done - it was not fixed any driver's licence numbers, nothin, whatever). Moreover when got the copy of booking - there were no info about forbidden changes of drivers names, just big red letters not to forget the printed copy of reservation. The reservation/booking is not a contract for renting, just booking, can't understand why it was not changed, and the carrental officer didn't help us, he only said plenty of times: sorry madam, we are not able to help you and even not abe to make new booking. How that could ever be possible in 21st century, meaning that cartrawler got full payment (+i paid extras for useless insurance also immediately while booking, and could not even cancel it) ! When I understood that is nonsense to stay at rentaldesk, I immediatelly started to check what to do and how to cancel the booking, knowing that withoutcancellation fee 24hours before renting, and if one day - than 50euro is cancellation fee. I have emailed several times: at 23:26, 23:30, 23:33, first two times I got the reply that the message has been not delivered. The negative point is that the navigation at the car trawler web has been created in a sense - hidden button of booking cancellation, no any emails indicated, and same situation when we get the booking confirmation - there were no any link for cancellation of reservations. I feel myself diddled. I never get such experience in my life, but travelling quite often.
    Today I have minus 176euro on my account for useless car trawler system, no any services provided. The car which I paid staid 2days not used! No any proper replies, except robotic replies and status closed of my claims (Each time I create new claim on web, emails are ignored, they robo-reply, and make it closed). Losses of more than 500euro for another car at different carrental, because could not stay overnight at airport. I really can't understand how that could be possible? All companies are not ideal, its abput how the company solve the problems. Cartrawler doesn't solve, just gets money. But you are providing broker's services, you should be 10times better than others, only in this way clients will come back / I feel myself cheated, and is veryvery unpleasant feeling. I would prefer better to transfer that small amount to the children's community for books or whatever...
    Do your findings yourself about car trawler company, please google more feedback about it, you will find many interesting "satisfaction" about its services..

RESOLVED

Dear All, I would like to inform that my case is closed as the refund is got. Dear Alicija, good evening. we are thanking you very much for your kind support and attention. The amount of 172.06 has been refunded (14.16e is still not) the bad mood has been changed to good as problems may appear anywayanydayanywhere - it is always about how managers are supporting and solving it. Thank you very much, I hope to be MORE attentive to small details in the future bookings, and will put same card holder-same driver. Alicija, have a nice weekend.

CarTrawler — voucher not honored

Completely unethical travel company. I had booked a car with them during trip to Malaga. The car rental...

Malaga

CarTrawlerprice gouging

Unbelievable.
      So... I accidentally book through these guys like an internet idiot because they are splashing Dollar-Rent-A-Car logos everywhere. So much for being a tech/internet lawyer for 20 years - still made this simple error. Anyways, find out I booked with them and then need to move my 3 day rental one day earlier (pick up one day earlier, drop off one day earlier). Call CarTrawler customer service...and the rep tells me "Due to this being a high demand vehicle, your change of moving your reservation a day earlier will be an additional $500. Would you like to go ahead and make that charge." My response "Absolutely not". I go back to Dollar.com, book the revised dates, save money.
      Yes folks, the rental rate for make a last minute rental at Dollar was $114. I go back to CarTrawler...we will cancel your reservation but it will be an extra $31 processing fee. Best $31 dollars I ever spent :)
      The fact is, their unethical pricing model probably works, and I am sure that they have a bright P&L ahead of them -- ugh.

CarTrawlerdouble billing, almost cheating

I made a fully-prepaid rental car reservation via CarTrawler. Reservation sheet clearly mentions that no pay needs to be made at the destination and detailed description about what is included in the plan. However, after I returned the car, this US rental car company Dollar has billed me for exactly the same item such as GPS, taxes, airport fee, insurances that were already included in the reservation and prepaid. My credit account has been billed for the same items twice.
        Of course I made a complaint to Cartrawler and got a response that they will make as quick action as possible, but I have not heard from them ever since.
        I post this issue here hoping that anybody can tell me a lower or governmental consumer center who can help me make this issue right.

CarTrawlerno refund

cartrawler will take the money from your visa and then disappear. They don't have any contact information on their website, no email and no chat service. They only have international land line phone numbers which will cost you a fortune because they will keep transferring you from a department to another. The operators will not solve your problem. Cartrawler is just a supplier. When you go to any rent car office and present your cartrawler booking they will get angry and tell you to ask for a refund which is something impossible.
          Again, i still insist in taking a full refund because it is their mistake not mine, but unfortunately no contact information.

CarTrawlertook my money

I live in Australia and booked a car hire through the Virgin Australia website which turned out to be through their "trusted partner" Cartrawler. My credit card was deducted 872 AUD yet I received absolutely no confirmation of my booking. The website put me back to the main page after I provided my details and clicked submit. My bank has confirmed the amount has been deducted and I have nothing to show for it.
            I cannot contact cartrawler as their bookings management page requires you to have your reservation number. I have managed to find an email for the company only to have the response that it is not to be used for customer enquiries and to go to the website and enter my reservation number to proceed. I see there is a Dublin number for head office but being in Australia this is a last resort. I have since read appalling reviews of car trawler online of horrendous dealings people have had. All I want is to be able to communicate with them so I can request the most basic of needs: I just need my booking confirmation, my car rental voucher and reservation number. At this stage I am out of pocket almost 900 Aussie dollars and NOTHING to show for it and no way I contact them. It's fraudulent and farcical behaviour on car trawlers behalf.
            They will not recognise me or my request and that is criminal.
            Please help!!!

CarTrawlerdeposit and greed

Can you help me?

I agreed to hire a car from Cartrawler in Warsaw, Poland on 2nd July. The period was from 7th October to 11th October.

Due to Ryanair changing my departure airport I’ve had to change my car hire pick-up and return time and location, and also return the car a day earlier. I informed Cartrawler of this and requested a change.

However on 27th July they increased their charges from €119.23 to €141.84 and the excess from €125.00 to €250.00 for this change of time and location. That same day I asked them by e-mail for an explanation as to why the increases in their charges even though I was returning the car into the city centre and a day earlier? Having had no reply by 31st July I cancelled the car hire order and demanded the return of my €21.78 deposit and informed them they had no permission from me to take any further monies from my credit card due to their contemptuous and greedy attitude. To this day I still have not had my deposit back.

Cartrawler’s contemptuous attitude and greed have dismayed me and cannot be left unnoticed for the sake of other unwary and potentially misfortunate customers of Cartrawler.

Can you help me with the return of my deposit of €21.78 and highlight Cartrawlers business ethics?

Yours truly

GERALD WARREN

• Ke
                  Kenneth Kay Nov 18, 2013

Charged up front for car rental then charged again by the car rental company.

• Gw
                  GWarren Sep 22, 2013

Dear Sir/Madam,
                  I sent you the above e-mail on 4th September but I notice it's not on your website. Why is that?
                  Your truly
                  Gerald Warren

CarTrawlerlast minute cancellation

Cartrawler cancels booking without notification without notice, blaming it on safety concerns on credit card, even if amount is already withdrawn from your account. I booked car to be ready in Bangkok airport, at arrival no car there, after contacting car rental company, they informed me Cartrawler had cancelled. Do to this I had to book directly with rental company, refund from Cartraler less do to exchange rate changes, car rental higher, and wasted 2 hours before getting car. They might give you cheaper car once, but only headache next time. Using these guys is not recommended if you want to be at a point at the right time.
                They might just be speculating in exchange rate!!!
                Kim, Malaysia.

• Updated by CarTrawler Support · May 09, 2011

Dear Kim

We are sorry the Credit Card security protection procedure we have in place resulted in the cancelatio0n of your booking. CarTrawler firmly believes that customer security is paramount. For that reason we operate a random Credit Card Security Checking process. We use industry recognised software to identify bookings that may be at risk and make every effort to contact the card holder to confim they booking was made with their knowledge. In your case we attempted to contact you by both phone and e-mail. With out any response to our efforts to protect the credit card holder we are left with no choice but to cancel the booking and refund the money in full to the credit card. Again we appologise for the disruption casuse to your travel plans but reaffairm our commitment to protecting the security of our customers .

Kind regards
                    Paul McGovern
                    Director of customer Operations
                    CarTrawler

CarTrawler — cancellation refund...in my dreams!

Wow. This has been just about the worst experience I've ever had with a company. When I call a customer...

CarTrawlernot refunded money for the reservation

I booked 2 cars with CarTrawler cartrawler.com one from the 7th-14th December in Cape Town and the other immediately after from 14th-24th December in Johannesburg. When we arrived in Cape Town, we were asked to put down a R10, 000 (1, 000 Pounds) deposit for the excess. I assumed this would just be authorized by the bank but we were told this would be a holding deposit and would be blocked on our credit card.

We were fuming but handed our credit card over. On the return of the Cape Town car, we asked when the deposit would be released as we were renting another car in Johannesburg and would not be happy having 2x R10, 000 held on our credit cards with the same company. We were told that the money would be released immediately, however our bank would only release this in about a week. We were fuming as this would mean that approximately 2, 000 Pounds would be blocked on our credit card by the same company.

I then called CarTrawler (as this is who we booked the car through to get this sorted). They were highly rude and told me that they could not help me as it is up to the car rental company. I explained that it was ridiculous that they could not just hold 1x deposit for the two reservations. The customer service advisor (if that’s what you want to call them) then went on to tell me that I did not have a reservation for Johannesburg during that time, but the reservation was for September. I was shocked. When I have booked the cars I had called their company to find out if I could make a block booking for both the CT and JHB cars or whether I would need to do them separately.

As I was on the phone already the advisor made the bookings for me. After about 2 hours of trying to get this resolved, I was called back by a supposed “manager” who went on to tell me “this is not my fault and I did not take you hand and make you click on the wrong dates”. I explained that I did not make the reservations and that the advisor had but he would not have any of it. We then had to book another car which cost us more money and CarTrawler have not refunded us the money for the reservation which they made for September.

• Fa
                      faris rasheed Apr 10, 2012

Hi,
                      this is faris rasheed the money has been refunded to me and they charging me £25 for cancelation charge and the agent said to me its been cancelled and that did not happend dont ever trust agent they are fraud call straight customer service they will sort the problems out . many thanks for customer service they sort my problem out

• Fa
                      faris rasheed Apr 04, 2012

hi,
                      my name is faris rashed
                      reservation no=GB270065370
                      i didn't receive my cancellation money
                      plz u can help me because when i take booking online
                      I'm gonna call agent straight away he said dnt worry i can cancel Ur policy
                      but after 7.8 days I'm check my account then no receive any money I'm try to contact but still nobody Can sort out this is not good please sort out this thing i really thank full to you
                      my email address is [email protected]

CarTrawlerrip off

Very bad company. Hidden in the small print that you take the car full and have to return empty with no refund. This turned my £40 hire into nearly £200!!
                    Would strongly advise everyone to go elsewhere - the price you see will be nothing like the price you pay, and customer service is basically "tough luck pal". Bad, dishonest, uncaring and disinterested. Hope they go bust sometime real soon and save everyone the sort of distress and cost I've been caused.

CarTrawlerovercharged

Car Hire Detective (ERS)/ CarTrawler promised the lowest price for one week rental. Under 200 Euros. But when I arrived at Geneva Airport I had to pay over 300 Euros. Beware, don't fall for the same trap!

• Updated by CarTrawler Support · Mar 03, 2011

Dear Car Hire Detetective,
                          I am the Director of Customer Operations and I am sorry you feel you did not have a good experience when booking through our booking engine. Many times customers forget to factor in fuel policy or take out optional extras at the rental desk that they dont recognise on their final invoice. I'm happy to investigate the descrepancy between your rental voucher price and the price you were charged, if you care to send me the details at customer [email protected] I will look in to the matter on your behalf.

Kind regards
                          Paul McGovern

MANUEL MALDONADO May 03, 2011

They just want me to pay for an insurance I didn't need.They want to gave them a credit card an I do not have one I gave them my debit but they said I need a credit card or pay for the insurance.they told me I could not rent the car without the credit card so they cancelled the reservation.

MANUEL MALDONADO May 03, 2011

I WENT TO PICK THE CAR.I GOT INURANCE WITH GEICO.

MANUEL MALDONADO May 03, 2011

On april 15 I went to pick my that I make my reservation on thrifty an I cancelled the reservation because they want me to pay for insurance when I do not need insurance because I'm got insueance with geico an I got all the information necessary of my insurance.I call my bank and they do not received the $250.01 back on my account from you.My name is Manuel Maldonado my reservation #PR263794040 the reservation date of the charge to my bank was 4-4-2011 the dates of the reservation of the car was from [protected] to [protected] please return the money to my bank as soon as possible because we need the money.THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

CarTrawlercartrawler car rental

I have rented a small car in Nice airport from march 3. to 7th 2011. Unfortunately the mail containing the ticket is lost. I have paid with visa/dankort 145 Euro Nota nr 50539. On my banknote it says cartrawler car rental, dublin 6.The money is dramn fram my account december 29th 2010. I hope You can help me by ssending a new ticket otherwise i must ask the bank to help me get my money back and try again.
                        So this is not a complaint - it is a cry for help.

Yours sincerely
                        Eva Biehe
                        Halkevadvej 2
                        4200 slagekse DK [protected]@biehe.dk

• Fl
                            f lennon Dec 28, 2012

hi i had booked a car for 3 days on 23-12-12 wen i arrived at Leeds airport was asked for 600 pound more to get car i was over to see my partner with two kids as she in in hospital with cancer was left stranded and then told by CARTRAWLER could not get a refund would not recommend this company to my worst enemies, , , , ,

w a trainor Jun 29, 2011

quite surprised how they were able to do this without me!

w a trainor Jun 29, 2011

I have booked return ticket birming ham/west knock &have been charged £104 for car hire I did not book

w a trainor Jun 29, 2011

could you explain to me please, how you have booked me a car on23june ?

CarTrawler — insurance tricks

I only can support the warning for CarTrawler. We just made a short break in Dartmoor, UK, with a CT manged...

CarTrawler — overcharged

I was charged $380.00 AU on the internet when I booked a rental car through thrifty. When i picked up the car...

CarTrawler — utterly disgusted

I booked 2 cars with CarTrawler - 1 from the 7th-14th December in Cape Town and the other immediately after...