Having problems with CarTrawler?

+353 14 999 600 (Ireland)
+44 203 582 8218 (United Kingdom)
+1 855 454 9316 (USA & Canada)
+61 280 152 643 (Australia)
+31 707 709 339 (Netherlands)
+351 213 665 562 (Portugal)
+62 21 2975 8990 (Indonesia)
+60 154 877 0821 (Malaysia)
+63 22 469 082 (Philippines)
+65 31 589 183 (Singapore)
+27 214 277 990 (South Africa)
+82 264 339 523 (South Korea)
+66 21 055 765 (Thailand)
+54 115 984 3539 (Argentina)
Classon House, Dundrum Business Park, Dundrum
Dublin 14
Ireland

Complaints & Reviews

rip off

Very bad company. Hidden in the small print that you take the car full and have to return empty with no refund. This turned my £40 hire into nearly £200!!
Would strongly advise everyone to go elsewhere - the price you see will be nothing like the price you pay, and customer service is basically "tough luck pal". Bad, dishonest, uncaring and disinterested. Hope they go bust sometime real soon and save everyone the sort of distress and cost I've been caused.

[Resolved] overcharged

Car Hire Detective (ERS)/ CarTrawler promised the lowest price for one week rental. Under 200 Euros. But when I arrived at Geneva Airport I had to pay over 300 Euros. Beware, don't fall for the same trap!

• Updated by CarTrawler Support · Mar 03, 2011

Dear Car Hire Detetective,
    I am the Director of Customer Operations and I am sorry you feel you did not have a good experience when booking through our booking engine. Many times customers forget to factor in fuel policy or take out optional extras at the rental desk that they dont recognise on their final invoice. I'm happy to investigate the descrepancy between your rental voucher price and the price you were charged, if you care to send me the details at customer [email protected] I will look in to the matter on your behalf.

Kind regards
    Paul McGovern

• Resolution Statement

MANUEL MALDONADO May 03, 2011

On april 15 I went to pick my that I make my reservation on thrifty an I cancelled the reservation because they want me to pay for insurance when I do not need insurance because I'm got insueance with geico an I got all the information necessary of my insurance.I call my bank and they do not received the $250.01 back on my account from you.My name is Manuel Maldonado my reservation #PR263794040 the reservation date of the charge to my bank was 4-4-2011 the dates of the reservation of the car was from 4-15-2011 to 4-27-2011 please return the money to my bank as soon as possible because we need the money.THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

MANUEL MALDONADO May 03, 2011

I WENT TO PICK THE CAR.I GOT INURANCE WITH GEICO.

MANUEL MALDONADO May 03, 2011

They just want me to pay for an insurance I didn't need.They want to gave them a credit card an I do not have one I gave them my debit but they said I need a credit card or pay for the insurance.they told me I could not rent the car without the credit card so they cancelled the reservation.

cartrawler car rental

I have rented a small car in Nice airport from march 3. to 7th 2011. Unfortunately the mail containing the ticket is lost. I have paid with visa/dankort 145 Euro Nota nr 50539. On my banknote it says cartrawler car rental, dublin 6.The money is dramn fram my account december 29th 2010. I hope You can help me by ssending a new ticket otherwise i must ask the bank to help me get my money back and try again.
So this is not a complaint - it is a cry for help.

Yours sincerely
Eva Biehe
Halkevadvej 2
4200 slagekse DK [protected]@biehe.dk

w a trainor Jun 29, 2011

could you explain to me please, how you have booked me a car on23june ?

w a trainor Jun 29, 2011

I have booked return ticket birming ham/west knock &have been charged £104 for car hire I did not book

w a trainor Jun 29, 2011

quite surprised how they were able to do this without me!

• Fl
    f lennon Dec 28, 2012

hi i had booked a car for 3 days on 23-12-12 wen i arrived at Leeds airport was asked for 600 pound more to get car i was over to see my partner with two kids as she in in hospital with cancer was left stranded and then told by CARTRAWLER could not get a refund would not recommend this company to my worst enemies, , , , ,

insurance tricks

I only can support the warning for CarTrawler. We just made a short break in Dartmoor, UK, with a CT manged car from local rental. We felt sure to be insured because a collision damage waiver was made by CT. Unfortunately we had a minor scratch on a back road, worth ~700 BP (~1000 €) . Claiming the costs we were surprised to find a small article on page 3 of (in 2 points script) that the waiver covers only UK residents. So a thirty pounds were wasted on top of the damage cost. Nice suprise - or jut dirty tricks ?

• Ea
    Eastrop May 05, 2011

I experienced something similar as I took out an insurance waiver for £ 34.00. My front screen got damaged and I had to pay Avis £ 275.00 for it and she enjoyed it. It was extra cash for them. No worries as I though I would use the insurance through a company called mondial that was sold to me. After 6 weeks and 3 letters they made me aware that the insurance was only valid if you had picked up the car at least 150 kms from your home address. I told them I lived in Basingstoke and Cartrawler told me to pick up the car at Avis in Basingstoke. They just missold me this insurance and it is a scam and the e-mail from the insurance company tells you to check if the insurance is suitable to you. Do they expect me to read all the details. I can strongly recommend you to go to your local car hire company where you can look someone in the eye. I now try to get my money back through the small claims court and I will do my utmost to get justice. One advice ' Dont' use CARTRAWLER' as they are rip off merchants.

• Ga
    G.A.Janssen Jun 16, 2017

PT721331480 my name is, George Janssen,
    I have a car rented from 12-06-2017 to 30-6-2017, 131, -- with an extra insurance 52, -- euro AXAHIRCAR.
    When I was in Faro arrived late was my foucers already torn and I had a much more expensive insurance is mandatory, and when I got my vougers back early, he had already torn up and in the trash thrown.
    I had an insurance policy from him which are much more expensive.

301, -- for Super relax 186, 95 Taxa local 29, - Mega relaxation 29, 27 Tax IVA 56, 40. total so 301, 00 euro.

Internet already paid 131, 00 insurance additional 52, 00 euro = 301, 00
    min had already paid, 183, 00
    ======
    paid too forced, 118, 00 euro

since I am just a 70 year old AOW'm there is that, for me, a lot of money.

[Resolved] overcharged

I was charged $380.00 AU on the internet when I booked a rental car through thrifty. When i picked up the car I had to pay the full fee and thrifty informed me they do not charge any fees over the internet, nothing should have been charged to me credit card. So I then had to pay out the full fee -$730.00 AU. Where is my $380.00.

• Updated by CarTrawler Support · Jul 30, 2010

Dear Sian,

My Name is Paul McGovern and I am the Head of Customer Service at CarTrawler. I have read your posting and I am sorry to hear you had this experience while booking a car with Thrifty through the CarTrawler booking engine. I really welcome the feed back and I would be most happy to personally investigate your case. If you could send your booking reference number to me though [email protected] marking it for my attention.

Kindest regards and hope to hear from you soon

Paul McGovern
    CarTrawler
    www.cartrawler.com

• Resolution Statement

margaret collins Jun 17, 2011

Car trawler is the only car rental company I have used that charges a fee for cancellation even if it is way ahead of pick up date. The literature is extremely misleading. They say there is no charge for cancellation 7 days from reservation date BUT they mean 7 days from booking. APPALLING misinformation. I will never use them again..read the fine print and ask questions or you will be scammed!!!

• Iv
    Ivor grant Dec 05, 2017

Dear Mr McGovern, we have sent one complaint already to you ref Indigo Car Hire and our overcharge by Europcar but omitted my Email

Ref PT 832084120 19/11/17 to 26/11/17 where charges of 92 Euro and 194 Euros were taken in addition to the payments made in uk ..
    your help in this matter would be appreciated prior to going to the media .

• Ta
    Tale Hellevik Aug 08, 2018

We rented a car on Sardinia this summer (July 2018), via Maggiore. The terms of agreement were settled upon and paid for before we left for our vacation (including full insurance). After we came back, Maggiore suddenly withdrew an extra amount, and after checking further, it turned out to be specified as an “additional driver”. We did not ask for this, and we were not aware of the extra charge (and of course only had one driver the entire vacation). I filed a complaint with CarTrawler, and after 20 working days received their verdict: according to them, we had paid for extra insurance. Again, we never asked for this, and we were already fully covered. Customer service also wrote that since there was no account of verbal discussions that occur on the day of pick up they rely on signed documentation only. This is appalling customer treatment as it is quite clear that this extra charge is unnecessary for us and that it had been withdrawn without our consent (and why would the demand for documentation work in favor of the huge company and not the lonely customer). In conclusion, I will never use CarTrawler again since they clearly do not help their customers when they are illegitimately charged by one of their underlying companies.

[Resolved] utterly disgusted

I booked 2 cars with CarTrawler - 1 from the 7th-14th December in Cape Town and the other immediately after...