CarMax125 point inspection

N

I bought a 2006 Toyota 4Runner SR5 from the certified Toyota CarMax in Richmond, VA in the fall of 2008. The truck had only 20K miles on it, still had the factory warranty. The main reason why I decided to purchase it. They shipped it down here to the CarMax on Independence Blvd here in Charlotte for free, which I thought was nice. The day that I went to pick it up the salesperson that was going to go over the truck with me told me that when the truck got to Charlotte they noticed paint chips on the front of the hood and mirrors. So, they, CarMax sent it out to a local paint shop to have those areas repainted at no cost to me.

Here's where they, CarMax got me, the truck still had the Toyota factory warranty remaining on it, but I should have also bought the extended CarMax warranty too.

I drove the truck home, about 45 minutes south of Charlotte, noticed that the front end of the truck bounced a lot more than I thought, there was a weird noise coming from the front left of the truck when I hit a ruff bump in the road. So, the very next week, I took it back to the CarMax in Charlotte, I told them what I was hearing and they said that they would take a look and see what they could come up with. An hour and a half went by and they brought my truck back out to the front of the service area and said that the front tie rod had been disconnected. They billed me at no charge and said the problem had been fixed. I drove the truck home again, the noise had gone, but the bouncing of the front end of the truck seemed to be less but still there. So, again I took it back to CarMax and had them check it out again, they found nothing wrong with the suspension.

Fast forward to today, 2011, I still have the truck, I have had no one work on it except oil changes at Quick Lubes, the original factory tires, brakes and suspension are still on it, the truck now has 66K miles. Time for new tires, oil change, new brakes, etc. I shopped for all this, ended up taking it to Dale Jarrett Ford. I asked them to do all the things I mentioned, brakes, tires, oil change, plus check the front suspension. Within 15 minute they got me and took me to my truck and showed me a nickle size hole in the hose that runs from the front right strut to the X-suspension system that my 4Runner has installed on it from the factory. The suspension system had been drained, due to this hole, that it never had been working since the system is a sealed system and they was in fluid in it, hince the bouncing of the front end of the truck. CarMax could not see a nickle size hole in the suspension or do a proper bounce test on my truck during their 125+ point inspection that they say they do on every vehicle. I doubt that this so called inspection is even done or even done thoroughly even to keep you safe. Remember, when I told you that CarMax told me that they fixed my tie rod... i would not have been able to drive the vehicle for a week, let a lone a day with a disconnected tie rod, just a thought.

So, if your trying to decide on buying a vehcile from CarMax, think again, if you do always purchase the extended warranty.

My new suspension from Toyota cost me $1500.00, I ended up spending $2700.00 on my truck in one day. I had been at the Ford service shop from 7:30 am to 2:30 pm, then drove my truck with brand new tires to the Toyota service shop at Scott Clark Toyota and was there from 3:15 pm until close. This day hurt my wallet, I was extremely pissed off about CarMax not caring about my safety and the concerns of other that would have ridden in my vehicle.

Ooh, did I mention that my truck, four months after I purchased it, I was shipped off to Iraq, my truck sat in my brother garage for over a year. Still CarMax would not help in any way on the expense, they told me that normal wear could have caused this damage...
I call BS...

• El
    Elyse Arnel Jun 20, 2007

Upon day two of purchasing my preowned 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with only 1,400 miles from the Boynton Beach Florida store I noticed my horn did not work. At this point I was disappointed with how Carmax touted its 140 point inspection. I was in fear that the airbag might of been deployed. I thought, if Carmax did not pick up on a non working horn what else did the inspector not examine. I called the sales manager to alert him to my dismay. Of course the sales manager offered me to bring it to the service department... stating that maybe it was a fuse. Out of lack of trust and keeping my best interest at hand, I brought the car into a Chrysler Dealer for an inspection... knowing that I had 3 more days in which I could return the car. The Chrysler dealer saw that the horn was tampered with. The Chrysler technician found the horn was not working because of a ground wire.

This is a typical example of learning a lesson over again. Never let your guard down when it comes to purchasing a preowned car. Why would a consumer trust the accuracy of the car inspection preformed by the seller. The car buyer always needs to get an independent inspection. CarMax should not tout it 140 point inspection as being the cure all... it reads more like a scam. Their no haggle price is a nice concept, their showroom and salesman are a pleasure to work with... but those 3 positives can not make up for faulty inspections.

• To
    tom george Jul 09, 2007

It is only a 125 point inspection!!! Not 140! Anyway, if the horn was not working and you were really mad, why not return the car for a complete refund instead of complaining. You will NOT find another used car dealer that will take back a car after you purchase it.

• He
    Henry Krinkle 2 Jun 23, 2011

Why take a Toyota to Ford? Why not to Toyota?