Having problems with AutoTrader?

+1 866 288 6872 (Customer Service)
+1 800 353 9350 (For Current Dealers)
3003 Summit Boulevard, Suite 200
Fri8:00 AM - 8:00 PM
Sat9:00 AM - 7:00 PM
SunClosed

Complaints & Reviews

horrible experience posting an ad

I posted an ad... Purchased carproof and upgraded my ad as I wanted to sell fast. Ad would not post and I...

cardinaleway vw dealership, corona, ca

2/10/2018 Sales price on a 2013 Prius reported in AutoTrader website ad was deceptive. Only at the dealership did we learn there would be a $995 upcharge for upgrades to the car (shadow-tagging car parts, nitrogen in tires). None of this was listed in the AutoTrader Ad. Why is this allowed?

Spent almost 4 hours at dealership and left when I realized I had been lied to. Sales person had agreed to a $800 reduction in the sales price, but then later, when they connected us with a credit union to get a good loan rate, she did not include the $800 reduction in the sales agreement. Only at the last second as the final form was being reviewed, did I realize the $800 was not taken off the sales price as agreed. When I asked for it to be reinstated, the manager said they would not because they had gotten me the lower interest rate on the loan (from an outside credit union).

So, deceptive ad in AutoTrader, and deceptive sales practices. I would not allow them to advertise on AutoTrader any more.

This site is absolutely useless

Don't use www.autotrader.com, they will take your money and you will get nothing in return!
I paid for their ad and spent about $100 to put my car on this website. I even paid some extra to upload more pictures.
Months passed and I did not receive a single call! How was that possible? My car was in a perfect condition, price was very low. This site is absolutely useless and it's impossible to sell anything here, and in case you are not satisfied with their service they will not refund you.

They sold me broken car, but assured me that it was perfect

I bought used car from the company www.autotrader.co.uk. I spoke with the seller, who provided the car and he told me that it was in perfect condition. It was fraud, because they wanted to get larger sum, and therefore they sold me old and broken truck. So, I tried to get compensation from them, but of course these guys refused to pay me anything. It was the worst experience with them, so check cars before you buy from them.

I need to stop them, so please help me

I tried to contact the company www.autotrader.ca within several weeks. I left them messages and sent emails, but nothing. No response, no news and no idea how to reach these irresponsible people. I really need help. I signed up for their services and they started to take money from me every week. I have no idea how to stop this crap. Please, help me to reach them or stop these fake charges.

scam

On 28th July we saw an advertisement for a 2012 BMW 118D SPORT WHITE. It was listed for £5000.
Initially we thought it was too good to be true. I emailed the email address listed for further information. The email was dunc.[protected]@gmail.com. A Nancy Duncan.

They gave me a story about moving to Spain etc. hence the low price. She said a shipping company was handling the sale and If I should want to continue, to go to their website www.leandro-transport.com.

I visited the site on Monday 29th July Everything seemed ok. I spoke to the lady on the live chat option and she told me all the processes etc. She sent the payment details by email. Full of promises that it is 100% safe. We sent the £5000 shortly after. They said I will get confirmation in 24 hours and then the shipping will begin.
A few hours later, I went to the website again only to find that the website no longer existed. Filled with dread and embarrassment, I called the bank and they advised there was nothing they can do as already gone and we initiated the transaction. They told me to go to the police, which I did. The police took the report and I left.

On the Tuesday morning, I emailed them as if I didn't know they were scamming me. They confirmed my payment was received, and that shipping will commence. I knew it wasn't so I emailed shortly after advising them I am going to struggle to insure the car as an excuse and I would like a refund. I had no reply.
On the Wednesday morning I was researching this further. I came across a website scam.com.
It had a forum thread called Autotrader scams, the email I had been emailing was listed on their along with the made up story they scammed me with.

Someone will have informed autotrader about it, if it was listed on there, about this. Therefore I am extremely disappointed they allowed this advert to remain on their site if there had been scams related to that email address previously.
This wouldn't of happened otherwise. Now I have lost £5000. I never realised such a well know company like them allows things like this to happen again and again. I had obviously misplaced my trust.

JadY6 Oct 20, 2009

I paid this company $75 to post an ad to sale my car they claim Renewing my ad for free every 8 weeks until it sold, on 9/14/09 called to renew my ad and I was told it has expired and that I have to pay for new ad for the same car. that was FRAUD to expired my ad after 90 days when most credit card company don't except charge back.

• Br
    britek Sep 22, 2011

I advertised my Van in "Auto trader" and requested it to be placed in the general vehicle area as thats where they get the viewings and instructed that I only want the ad placed under these terms or I'd use Ebay.
    Was told no problem but when it was loaded they put it in the van section where people struggle to find it.
    Upon calling them they told me only contract customers get that privalage and they wont do anything to help me.

I was basicaly told Tuff and they wont refund me. I now have all the hastle of contacting my credit card company for them to take up the dispute for me. Hasstle I dont have time for!

My advise to all concidering the convisation I just had.
    DONT USE AUTO OR VAN TRADER.CO.UK

Terrible Customer Service

I listed a car for sale then sold it privately. Tried to cancel the ad only to discover that my account had been cancelled for no reason. Called them only to find that they are on "winter vacation" for 3 weeks with NOBODY ON THEIR PHONES OR ANSWERING EMAILS.
What kind of business is this?
I emailed anyway and said remove the ad.
Much to my surprise I got an email saying the ad had been deleted...IT WASN'T.
Even after 3 days it's still up.
I suspect they want the ad on their site to look like they have lots of content so they can charge their advertisers more money.
What a great SCAM...
Advertise your car on ANY other venue and steer clear of Auto-Trader

• Cp
    cp* Sep 17, 2013

Started receiving multiple calls and text after posting an ad on AutoTrader.com. It appears that the telemarketers and scam artists are combing Craigslist and AutoTrader looking for new victims. List of the calls we received below...

(855) 844-2646, 2647 and 2648 (OnceDriven.com) | andrewapeterson.com
    (469) 654-7633 ([email protected])
    (469) 654-7633 | Paul Wayman
    (702) 567-8866 Cory @ One Stop Motors in Vegas
    (714) 703-6474 Auto Insurance Placement Center | http://whocalled.us/lookup/7147036474

It's a scam and it is unfortunate that they're using autotrader.ca for this kind of a scheme

I was shopping around for 2003 Ford Escape, found one, price was not that all great, maybe a $1000 less than going price. Contacted seller via email, got this reply:

"Hi, thank you for your inquiry. I am currently traveling through Europe. My car is located in Vancouver, BC but I can ship it anywhere in Canada for no extra cost. I have additional photos if you're interested. If you're interested please reply and I will send you details on how to send the payment."

Mileage was very low on this model, at least that's what the add stated. Now, who in their right mind would fall for something like this? Of course it's a scam and it is unfortunate that they're using autotrader.ca for this kind of a scheme. Stay away.

Rogue Car Dealer Rip-Off

Ash Vehicle Sales RIP OFF used car dealers in Royston. The owner is Conman, Ashley Smith, who sold me a...

Trade-In Offer from AutoTrader.com

I filled out the lengthy online form and received a reasonable "offer" of $2165 for my 2004 Dodge Neon SXT with brand new tires and brand new rims (wheels). It is in very good condition for having 149000 miles. It has a spoiler, motorized moonroof, 6 cd changer, among other nice features. These cars sell for $3500 to $5000 on lots. I expected the local car dealer to wiggle it down to about $1900, because the offer required an "inspection". When the AutoTraitor accomplice was finished nitpicking, my offer was now just $510!!! My new tires and rims cost more than that just a month ago! What a pathetic SCAM. Please help spread the word. Such an incredible waste of time. I pity the fool that would accept their final offer. Obviously set up as BAIT and SWITCH.

• Pa
    pagewithnosound Jun 05, 2010

I noticed a pre-authorization on my debit card for $1.00 which I did not make. I have not purchased any sort of gaming system or related product ever on line. They claim they do not have a record of my account being pre-authorized for the money.

They made a mistake and no refund

We placed an ad on Kijiji in the HEAVY EQUIPMENT section for a Cat Grader for sale.

Autotrader.ca contacted us VIA the phone number posted on the ad and kept calling wanting us to purchase an ad from them in the Heavy Truck & Equipment Trader magazine. They offered us what we thought was a decent price for a color 1/6 page ad in the magazine. We were charged $194.

When the magazine came out, we looked and looked and looked on every page of the heavy equipment section and could nt find the ad. We called and were told which page to find it on. There it was, in the middle of the HEAVY TRUCK section.

We asked for a refund, because of course nobody interested in it saw it (people looking for heavy equipment will NOT be looking in the heavy truck section), We were denied any refund r even a discount and are now working with our credit card to dispute the charges. They told us 'because the as was printed there will be no refund'.

Scam about buying my car

I have recieved a series of emails that started off from leads from autotrader.com. What first made me take notice was the similarities from these two people (Including the same destination address). The last email said he would send me a cashiers check, and I was to send him money back from the check. I would like to know if there is anything I can do to help catch the guy, because this seems suspicious to me.

Email #1 (James Carter, Yahoo address)

Hello,
Thanks very much for immediate your response please i will like to expresse how i feel about your car, sincerely speaking i am much impressed with the condition of the car and also with your punctuality in response to my request, i am promising you that with your prompt response in this transaction this transaction will be sealed within a month beside this car was a gift that my client wants to give to his wife for there successful, peace, endurance and patient in there marriage.they will be celebrating there silver jubilee on This month, sotherefore i will be happy if you continue to be punctual in this transaction so that by next two weeks
we can sealed this trasaction.please i will also need your coperation and honest in this transaction because am just a starter so i dont need to start with disappointment to my client.actually my client will be traveling to Brussel for National Assignment by next tommorow so i will like us to conclude the issue of price and any other information that will be needed from you.please my client instructed that he will like to see the car parked in his garage as soon as he is back from Brussel.he will be coming back in 12 days coming as soon as he live from Canada to there. Please there is a question below that i will like you to answer as soon as possible and also i will like you to send the answers to that question to my client private box so that he can expresse how he feel about the car and update you on payment information before then i have been permitted from him to get you posted on the payment confirmation.Have a nice weekend
Here is the following question below.,
1, Is the engine in perfect condition?.
2, How often do you service the car?.
3, How many miles of the car at the moment?.
4, are you the owner before placing it for sale?.
5, If yes, for how long did you use car?.
6, Has the car been involve in auto accident?
7, What about mechanical defulties on the car?
8, Your intension of selling the car?
9, What is your Bottom Price on the vehicle?.
NB.please get back immediately so that he will get
you posted on the payment/pickup
arrangement as soon as soon as possible.
please get back with the following question immediately
and send a copy of the reply to my client private email box
[protected]@yahoo.com and also to me.
Below is My Client's information:
Name:Robert Hammond
ADDRESS:454 2nd RD E,
Stoney Creek, ontario L8J 2X9.
Below is my Information
Name.James Carter
Address.1010 Dawson Rd Ontario Canada P7b5j4
Regards
James Carter

Email #2 (Smith Adams, Yahoo address)

Smith Adams,
Department of Motor Vehicles
CPD Information Services Branch
PO Box 942890
Sacramento, CA 94393
Thanks for the email. Please I have a client who is very much interested in buying your Vehicle. He happened to budget for a Vehicle last time and unfortunately it was sold. I have discussed with him and he has agreed that he will be willing to have the Vehicle shipped to Canada upon reaching an agreement with you.
Please I have Some Questions to Ask:
1) Is the engine in perfect condition?
2) How often do you service the Vehicle?
3) send pictures for my client viewing.
4) Are you the owners?
5) If yes, for how long did you use Vehicle?
6)Finally At what price are you willing to sell this
Vehicle to Us ...Bottom price.
Below is my client's information
Mac Schneider,
454 2nd RD E,
Stoney Creek,
ontario L8J 2X9.
Phone Number [protected]

Email #3 (James Carter) Yahoo address

Hello James,
Thanks for your mail. Hope you are good today? I am happy to inform you that we have concluded with our customer. The answers to my questions were well accepted.

I have spoken to my customer and he has instructed me to inform you that payment will get to you in a cashier check of $16, 700 which is a refund payment of a cancelled order earlier made by my customer.

Due to company policy this check has to be made out in this amount to you, because company policy only allows a refund payment on one cashier check, so you are required to deduct cost of your Vehicle $8, 700 when payment gets to you and refund balance $8, 000 to my clients shippers via western union money transfer for them to be able to offset shipping charges down here and from there.

After payment has reached you and balance sent back to him, our agent will come for inspection/pick-up and drive to a prepaid shipper to be shipped to my customer, while title papers and other necessary documents will be either collected from you at the point of pick-up or sent via fedex courier to my customer.

Confirm this and provide

1) Legal Full Name (check will be made payable to)

2) Address ( the check will be delivered to)
and Phone number for check payment to be delivered to you via courier service.
Thanks and have a splendid day.
send a copy of the reply to my client private email box [protected]@yahoo.com and also to me.

Scam

I received a scam email via autotrader.com. This is a first for me, as I "usually" get them via motoseller.com. The email headers are not useful because the message is relayed through autotrader. Unfortunately, the IP address of the "buyer" is not provided by autotrader (like it is for motoseller.com). All the usual warning signs are there.

SALES LEAD - Received from AutoTrader

Name: Mrwilson
Phone: () -
Email: [protected]@yahoo.com

Question
Hello seller, I am mailing you to make enquiry regarding the "item"
advert you had placed for sale. I will like to inform you of my interest
to buy this item urgently. I will like to know the present condition and
your last asking price for it.. Also make available some recently taken
pictures of the item for a closer look. I will like to know if you will
accept Canadian Money Orderas mode of payment. Kindly get back if you
still have this item available for sale . Thanks. Mrwilson

fraud/scam

I too was a victim of a scam on autotrader. Found a vehicle for appoximately 9, 000 sent money to seller, never received vehicle. However a week before I sent the money I contacted Auto trader because I could not reach the seller via the email address. They inturn took the ad off their publication but not off the website eight days later I informed them this ad was a scam and requested my money back. Their attorney sent me a long letter explaining why ATC was not responsible. I said if you would have taken the ad off the internet when you took it out of your publication I may not have been victimized. Also they published day after the scam that the ad was removed by "sellers request". I believe if they would have put on their ad ad was removed by ATC this would have allerted the public to a potential problem. There is no telling how many others got vitimized through this ad. I called DA, attorney general, congressman, senator, BBB IC3 and given President Obama nothing will be done because it does not meet any criteria of $150, 000 in damages. No attorney will take this because there is not enough money in this. I hope we can bind together and start a class action lawsuit against AutoTrader.Com.

• Ul
    ulfwolf Feb 17, 2011

When it comes to battling AutoTrader.com scams, well, most online scams, I would just like to add that the best way I know to guard against being ripped off by online sales or auctions, Penny, Craigslist and eBay included—and whether seller or buyer—is to use a bona fide online escrow company. This is especially true for pricier items like antiques, jewelry and autos. Yes, it does add some cost, but it takes the uncertainty out of the transaction, and that is usually a small price to pay for peace of mind.

For my money, the best bona fide online escrow (and there seems to be ten or twenty fraudulent escrow sites for every bona fide one) is Escrow.com (http://escrow.com). In fact, that is the only site that eBay recommends, and is the only online escrow company that is licensed to provide escrow services all across the United States.

PS. You can find more information about battling online scams and frauds at Online Escrow at Wordpress.com (http://onlineescrow.wordpress.com/)

joejy Feb 22, 2011

I checked on autotrader and this is what they say - http://www.autotrader.com/research/shared/article_popup.jsp?article_id=12124

Auto trader&e-bay

On march 31st.i was seaching for a used car, i found two cars, i was suppose to e-mail them & give my tel.one...

2 comments Mississauga Ebay Scams

Scam

Autorader is a rip off place to purchase vehicles. Every week I look through vintage cars, and every single week there are postings for corvettes and other muscle cars for a fraction of their costs.

How can autotrader consistently get away with postings the same car in multiple provinces, allow postings with no telephone number, and not ahve any clue as to car values?

The people who work at autotrader are irresponsible idiots who will do anything for a buck. They should be held responsible for advertising fraudulent listings. Anyone with any level of intelligence can recognize these fraudulent adverts (except the stupid people at Autotrader.

Check this out:

Autotrader.ca Ad: (price = 14K)

First clue: duhhhhhhhh - no telephone number
second clue - price extremely low
third clue - (gotta love this - posted for 72K elsewhere, word fo word)

Real ad - listing and pictures used word for word:
$72K US

• Ul
    ulfwolf Mar 05, 2010

Great post.

Perhaps I can just add to this that the best way to guard against being ripped off by online sales or auctions is to use a bona fide online escrow company. Although it does add some cost, that will take uncertainty out of the transaction.

For my money, the best bona fide online escrow (and there seems to be ten fraudulent escrow sites for every bona fide one) is probably Escrow.com (http://escrow.com). In fact, it’s the only one that eBay recommends.

Take care,

Ulf Wolf

Scam and lies

I contacted Autotrader.com on behalf of my son, regarding a vehicle of interest. Autotrader forwarded our information to the seller of the vehicle. As per the requirements of Autotrader, we dealt with the seller from then on. Autotrader was given information and proof this particular ad and seller were frauds and removed the ad replacing it with "this ad has been removed at the sellers request". We assumed the seller removed the ad as we agreed to purchase the car. Autotrader negligently did not notify any of the customers who inquired about the particular ad of this scam. They were aware of it well before my son sent the "seller" $3, 000 and has not received, nor will he receive said car. If Autotrader had informed us (and many others I am sure as this scam artist was VERY good), my son would not be out his only savings for a car. If AutoTrader.com would have replaced the ad with a warning that that particular ad was a fraud/scam, we would not have completed the transaction and been taken for his money. I have contacted the FBI and filed a complaint. I have proof and documents of every contact with both AutoTrader.com and the so called seller. AutoTrader.com had a duty to their customers to put them on notice that there was the potential of a scam once they were informed and they failed to do so in so much as I feel they acted as an accomplice in aiding the "seller" to take my son's money. They were the ones who told me about it after I called regarding the status of the shipment of the car. I want my son to get his money back and that is all. Obviously the seller (as was reiterated by autotrader) used a bogus name and address. Autotrader's disclaimer states they are not responsible for any damages other than direct damages. That is all we are asking for and they refuse. I sent them all of the documents I saved. I can do the same for you...My son just wants his money back so he can buy a car and start college.

• Be
    beckerdee Feb 16, 2011

Me too went through the same thing. No attorney is interested either because it isn't enough of money maybe everyone can get together and form a class action suit!!

• Wh
    Whywouldyoudothat Mar 25, 2016

Why would you ever 'send money' to someone you havent met, for a vehicle that you dont have a lien check on, a title search on, nor the ownership signed over to you for?! Its unfortunate that your son fell victim to this scam but... Please due some due dilligence first before buying something of any significant value.

Unauthorized Debit

My complaint concerns the following: My dissatisfaction, for the third time, during my call with one of the Sales Representatives (Tyler) today (07/17/2009) regarding my concerns on my bank account being charged without authorization for the amount of $424.53. I had spoken with a lady called “Kay” (If spelled the right way) about my situation that I was working before with the lady that does their transactions over the phone. She told me that she had talked about it with the management and that they had agreed to change my due date to the 15th but in their system the late fees where still appearing. This hadn’t been a problem until now even thought I asked various times for their people to remove those late fees from my record and they said they “could not do that”. Kay indicated that she could not process the amount I gave her but asked me for my credit card information just to have it in file so that when the lady in charge of the credit card transactions get there she would call me. This happened 07/15/2009. I never received a call that day so I called back the next day and Kay told me once again that she would call and they where not going to process my card until they spoke to me. I checked my account yesterday night, after not receiving a call from anyone once again and they had processed my card without my authorization.

Unauthorized Debit

Scammers

Hello everyone!
I just want to warn you to not buy any vehicle through www.autotrader.com or www.autotrader.ca
There is a lot of scam there, usually it is cheap luxury cars like lexus BMW and etc.
Be aware! THERE IS NOT SUCH THING EBAY MOTORS AS A THIRD PARTY.
All these dealers usually tell that they are going through a divorce and that is the reason they are selling the car so cheap.
BE SAFE!

• Sc
    scammersneedtogetalife Jun 05, 2009

Many of the cars listed by private sellers on autotrader.ca are scams. If the deal sounds too good to be true then it is!! I can't believe that legitimate car dealers still list their used stock on autotrader.ca knowing that Auto Trader allows scammers to use their site! If the legitimate dealers threaten to pull their ads if Auto Trader doesn't clean up their act then we may see some action by Auto Trader on this nonsense.

• here is a current example on autotrader.ca

Hello again,

Cristopher, right now I'm in a military base we are getting ready for Iraq. I don't have my cell with me. We'll have to stick to email for now as this is the only way I can communicate.Because it is a large transaction we will complete the deal only using an authorized third party like eBay, using their eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection.The payment will be handling by eBay and you will benefit of 7 inspection time period and the option to accept or reject the car on my expense. The payment is going to be send to one of eBay Safe Pay agent, funds will be placed on hold until you receive and inspect the car. In case you don't like the car(is not our situation) you will ship it back at my cost and receive a full refund from eBay employee. Payment will be released to me only with your approval...If you are still interested just send me your full name and shipping address. I will forward your info and they will notify you about our deal.

Thanks,
    Cpt.Anthony Even

Hello,

I am very glad that you interested in buying my car(2007 Infiniti M M45).I am selling this car because my platoon has been sent back to Iraq and don't want it get old in my backyard. The price is low because I need to sell it before June 20. It has no damage, no scratches or dents, no hidden defects. It is in immaculate condition, meticulously maintained and hasn't been involved in any accident..I do have the title, clear, under my name. It is still available for sale if interested, price as stated in the ad 12, 800. The car is in Winnipeg, MB, in case it gets sold I will take care of shipping.Let me know, if you are interested, email back.

For more pics click the link below :

• Do
    dont-waste-my-time Jun 15, 2009

Wow - I received a response pretty much identical to the one above about a '67 camaro on autotrader.ca

I sent an email back but I am sure it's just an automatic address. These guys suck!

Here is the text I received with my response back:

Sorry - don't think your story is true. The 'car' is already old ??. I also see that the same car is listed a couple of times with different prices. Not this time buddy!

From: Ernest J. <[email protected]>
    To: [email protected]
    Sent: Sunday, June 14, 2009 6:03:10 PM
    Subject: Camaro

I am selling this Camaro because my platoon has been sent back to Iraq and don't want it get old in my backyard. The price is low because I need
    to sell it before June 18. It has no damage, no scratches or dents, no hidden defects. It is in immaculate condition, meticulously maintained and hasn't been
    involved in any accident..I do have the title, clear, under my name.
    It is still available for sale if interested, price as stated in the ad $10, 000.
    The car is in Great Falls, MT, in case it gets sold I will take care of shipping. Let me know if you are interested, email back.

• Re
    ReasonedMind Sep 30, 2009

You guys are idiots, these scams exists on all online advertising websites. ebay, kijiji, craigslist, buysell.

Its called BUYER BEWARE. If you researched what you were buying then you wouldn't become a victim simple as that.

• Do
    dont-waste-my-time Sep 30, 2009

Did anyone above say they actually got scammed? Spent money? No, I didn't think so.

The post was merely to bring this to the attention of others that may come across the same thing. It's pretty evident when you read the email you get back from the seller.

ReasonedMind doesn't seem to fit you. You're the idiot for lashing out the way you did.

Again, no one above would appear to have been a victim to a truly reasonable mind.

• Sh
    ShawnLenzin Jul 17, 2011

Totally agree! Auto Trader and autotrader.ca is a complete waste of time as 60% of all private listings are scams and they don't care! i also agree that dealers and brokers should not be paying to advertise on this site as I never use it as many don't as you just waste your time. I emailed them but they don't care.

Rip off

I purchased a vehicle from the autotrader site. 6 mos later I called autotrader and I listed the car for sale. I got a few calls the first 2 days and I checked my ad on autotrader and my car was listed. Then I didn't get any calls, two weeks later I went to the website my car cannot be found. I called customer service they said they cannot list my car because the old owner still has it listed as for sale. I own the car for the last 6 months. They told me we can list your car without the VIN number. When I bought the car the first thing I checked is the VIN before I purchase it. So how am I going to sell the car without the VIN, anyone who looks at the ad will be scared away thinking it is a stolen or rebuit vehicle. I told autotrader to list my ad with the VIN or return my money. My ad is still not listed on the site and they sent me an email sorry about your bad luck we don't refund. And the old owner still has the car listed as of 3/25/09 Car ID: AT-E9EF01D Feel free to check it out.

Note: If you buy a car from autotrader make sure the person who sells you the car signs for you a document that he is willing to remove his ad because autotrader will take your money and they will not list your car with the VIN and they have no control over their own website to remove fake ads.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices