Having problems with CarMax?

CarMax Customer Service Contacts

+1 800 519 1511 (Head Office)
+1 800 925 3612 (Auto Finance)
+1 888 922 7629 (Stale Check Team)
+1 888 922 4911 (Stale Check Team)
+1 844 765 5757 (Supplier Inquiries)
12800 Tuckahoe Creek Parkway
SunClosed
CarMax Auto Finance
Attn: Customer Service, P.O. Box 440609, Kennesaw, GA 30160

Customer Relations Department
Attn: Customer Relations Department, 12800 Tuckahoe Creek Parkway, Richmond, VA 23238

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with CarMax Customer Service. Initial CarMax complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for CarMax above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about CarMax. Discuss the issues you have had with CarMax and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Complaints & Reviews

CarMax — rip-off!

I purchased a car from Carmax about two months ago. I have since had my car not start 8 times. I have had to...

CarMax — fraud and cheating

I am extremely distraught right now. My husband and I bought our vehicles from Carmax 3 years ago and were...

CarMax — service / parts suppliers

I bought a 2004 Honda CR-V in October of 2007. Until August of this year, everything was fine. Then, the A/C...

CarMax — terrible company

Carmax is one of the worst dealerships I have ever been in. They have sales men who know nothing about car or...

CarMax — terrible service

I purchased a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero from Carmax in Whitemarsh Md on June 27th, 2007. The car was in the 10k...

CarMaxdon't trust them

The sales pitch sounds great! Carmax is unlike any other (they tell you) when you are looking to purchase a used car, because they provide a 30 day warranty "in writing". Sales personnel at all levels tell you that you have 30 days to visit the dealership's service department for "any" problem encountered under this warranty and it will be fixed. Upon bringing the car back for an item "covered" under the warranty, they refused to fix the problem, and now their response to my inquiries is, "Well, it is a used car, " and they repeatedly refuse to honor their warranty!!! The corporate customer care line is no help and simply repeats, "Well, it is a used car, after all." However, specific items that are supposedly covered under the warranty are NOT covered if they meet Carmax's standards, which are not provided to the customer until an attempt is made by the customer to have "30-day warranty" work completed. We are very disgusted with this company, its service personnel, and its managers, and will never purchase another car from them in Wisconsin or any other location. We also purchased an additional 75, 000 mile warranty, which allows us to take the car to have work done elsewhere, which we fully intend to do. My recommendation: go somewhere else.

• Ba
      bajaskier Sep 05, 2008

Take them to small claims court for "failure to perform"; essentially not fullfiling their contract with you. They probably will not show up and you'll win by default.

CarMax — state inspection

Just had my Virginia state inspection performed at Carmax last week and despite the fact that my car...

Carmax Serviceservice

I went to the service center for a basic inspection to maintain the integrity of the warranty I purchased thru carmax, and all they had to do was a basic lube, oil change, tire rotation and filling of fluids. Well...I waited around for over 3 hours for them just to complete that. They didn't even tell me that it was done until at least 20 mins that it sat out in the maintenance bay. So I drive home. The next day my girlfriend was driving home from dropping me off, and on the way smoke began to come out and oil began dispersing onto the ground...luckily home was just around the block. That evening, I get the call about what's happened...I call carmax and the best answer their customer service manager would say was, "You'll have to call service center in the morning", ...meanwhile I'm stuck at work they wouldn't be able to cover a rental car because cars run over 25 dollars a day here in Las Vegas and there's a down payment. I called rental car companies and they wanted over 2 hundred dollars for a rental car. I don't think so! I had also asked the manager about a tow truck to pick up my car and their towing only covers 5 miles away from the store...of course my home is further than that! I get my insurance company to cover the tow and it's free of course, but what if it wasn't? Do they care that their mess up costed me life and someone else money? NO. I get my car back to the carmax service center to see what the problem was and wow!...somehow the oil plug was missing! They inspected it to make sure "WE" didn't mess up the plug ourselves. To their amazement, there were no scrapes, or anything that said we did it to our own car. Because we totally wanted to be there ALL DAY!!! Hanging out with them! The maintenance technician comes out...some guy that doesn't even speak english very well, and doesn't appear professional at all, to explain he doesn't know what happened, but the oil plug magically unscrewed itself from the oil pan and let out the oil. They may have done the job...but improperly put the bolt/plug in. My car, from an unsuspecting driver, could have been really messed up! I guess I made a mistake by not checking the car out myself right after they touched it, to make sure the tires had been rotated correctly, fluids filled and all the oil components put back together properly. MY MISTAKE! I also noticed that the fluids hadn't been filled either! Thats what I paid them for...why wasn't it done? One of the fluids...an obvious one the coolant, was well below the minimum marking, and it didn't even look touched. I pointed that out to the service manager, and even asked him for my money back for lack of the job being completed properly the first time. Their sign inside says, " We'll fix it right the first time, or it's free!" He said, "What's done was done and he couldn't give my money back. People make mistakes...their human"...awww...cry me a river when you're the one forking out money to pay for my engine breaking down! Covering the warranty payment...I mean, What a load of crap that was! So I waited for the part to come in and for them to do what they were supposed to do the first time, and altogether everything took over 4 hours!!! This is a basic inspection people. I mean c'mon!!! So, he assures me that a free oil change is fair! He didn't care how the car got there, why my girlfriend had to call in to work, how I missed two hours of work, ..and it seemed to me he didn't even care... yeah...because that's right...I paid them over $78.00 for all their "WORK"...ha! What a laugh! they didn't even do the job completely! Anyways, they wrote me a check for 25 dollars (to cover an oil change) that said SUCKER all over it, and sent me on my way! I looked at their little special board that listed all the inspections and jobs they are capable of doing (the same sign that said "We'll fix it right the first time, or it's free!"), and an oil change is 38 dollars...good job ###s! Not only that, but I had explained to the manager my disappointment in their service, and asked him why I would even consider taking a free oil change from people that don't pay attention to their job! He laughed and still insisted it was fair. I wasn't happy at all. Another dissatisfied customer...I'm still pissed and plan on writing the company...

CarMax — terrible service at the service dept

Put my vehicle in for service in the early morning at the Laurel, MD carmax. I recieved a call on the 2nd day...

CarMax — not a good place to shop

I had been impressed with Carmax and purchased two cars from them in the past. This time I saw what life...

CarMax — some facts about carmax

This is from a current CarMax employee who has worked in several of their used car departments. Sales - The...

CarMax — they sold me a lemon

I purchase a car that I had always wanted after my divorce. In addition, I am thankful that I purchased the...

CarMaxstay away from them

I bought a Saturn from Carmax a month ago. As I was leaving the lot I noticed something very wrong with the transmission. That was three and a half weeks ago. The sent my car to Saturn and that’s the last I’ve heard. I have spoken to every service manager and even the gm. They all give me different answers. My biggest issue is they refuse to supply me with a written statement honouring my lost time on the 30 day bumper to bumper warranty. This company claims they are different, but its all a facade. Total BS. Stay away from Carmax in Vegas, and Saturn's service department as well.

Noele028 Jun 10, 2009

Yes, I agree I purchased a bmw from them and literally had problems with it 3 days later. That was about 2 years ago and I am still having problems with it now. It has been in the shop approximately 16 times and now I am upside down in the car and when I attempted to trade it in Carmax offered me a very insulting offer and they are the ones who sold me the car! It truly has been the biggest mistake of my life. DO NOT purchase a vehicle from them, my brother bought a car from them around the same time I did and his car was in and out of the shop as well. A horrible place of business and nothing but horibble cars sold by them!

CarMax — they need to be reported

My mother and I purchased a Dodge Intrepid from Carmax last year in May. I have so much to say about thi...

CarMax — they underpay salesmen

This is to any real Car Salesmen out there. Don't even bother with Carmax. Sell a car and you make $150...

CarMaxthey're a joke

Carmax is not all it's cracked up to be. I barely escaped being ripped off by them, as I returned a car I bought but hardly even got to drive.

My salesman was genuinely nice at first, helping me with the transfer of a car from another state. The car had been a rental, so I was a little sceptic, but they assured me the car was in great condition accept for a dent in the door and tear in the seat, which would be fixed at their cars go through a "125 point inspection".

Well, they didn't fix it. I went to see the car and there was so much *** wrong with it, but they assured me it could all be fixed. It was only physical flaws and it was used, so I told myself to get over it and decided to go ahead and buy the car. As soon as I left the lot, the brake light went out. The CD player stopped working 2 days later, and I took the car back to have everything fixed.

What was supposed to be a two-days-tops repair, turned in to over 7? They continuously lied to me about doing the repairs, and kept changing what they were actually working on and when it would be done. No one could give me a straight answer on the day it would be finished.

The day I finally was able to pick the car up, they got finished right at closing. They pulled it out into the service bay with overspray over the entire car, having just painted over the fender where they had fixed the dent. I then proceeded to tell them off, screaming why the bullsh!t hadn't been finished before then, and what the *** it took so long to do if they just finished with it that day.

I did get my transfer fee back, the only good thing that came out of it. And the fact that I found the same exact car for about $5, 000 less than theirs through a private party. Plus, the private party knew someone who bought a car through Carmax and was ripped off too!!!

I forgot to mention that they also ran my transfer fee through my bank account 3 times!!! They blamed this on a computer crash, but I should have known then to take my business elsewhere.

Carmax is a joke. They have a bunch of [censored] salesmen, with idiotic managers, and a worthless service department who don't know *** about cars. There was no way I wanted that car bad enough to go through with the sale after being treated the way I was, no one even saying they were sorry.

And to top it all off, the dipsh!ts don't even know I still am in their rental car they gave me while they were working on mine!!!

What a bunch of idiots. And the store I'm referring to is the one in Indianapolis, Indiana, but the store that originally had the car was in Fayetteville, North Carolina. They're all a bunch of [censored]es to me, either way.

John King Nov 18, 2008

You sound like a wonderful person. Please come to my dealership.

CarMaxignorant salesmen and rip off

Ok, seen reviews before I went there; many awfully bad, but I need to sell my truck so I can move. Well, went to the new location in Colorado Springs, everyone cool and all that crap. Till I came back from smoking.

These people have the nerve to tell me that a 42255 mile S10 2003, never crashed clean title, excellent mechanical condition, 2.2L, with 20" rims, and iPod connection has the value of 1700... WTF?! I’m not a crackhead.

And when I tried to get the "manager" to see the odometer, he just wouldn’t let me talk, and told me that if they buy my truck, they will put it for auction not the lot, hoping for someone to take it for the same 1700, right, and apparently I had a sign that said sucker. And this is the kicker, the test driver?, that dude need to get another profession because he seemed so confident on describing the aftermarket parts on my truck, he don’t know a stock shifter from a short shifter, and on their words "aftermarket stuff don’t matter...", right Sherlock. Since when, someone tell me, lowering a truck compromises the integrity of the vehicle? So apparently there’s an infinite amount of suspension companies that want to get sued... I would feel so much better if I could just punch that dude square on the face, how can you sleep at night being a liar of that level.

I know if I sold my truck, and while I was buying drugs [maybe I look like a junky] they would get all OEM parts install them in about 3-4 days and have a 10000 dollar truck, my truck as it is by KBB is 8600 and I noticed that most of the cars are "below" KBB but that’s because of so many suckers that keep going to this company. Regular dealerships are better, some haggle and pressure won’t kill you.

Bottom line, if you want to lose money big time selling your car, Carmax is the way to go, they will square you away.

• Av
              Average Joe Aug 18, 2008

You want to lose money, sell your car to any dealership. If your aftermarket garbage is so valuable, put the stock stuff back on and resell your chinese parts. Sounds like you are the type to paint the interior of your car lime green and put krylon flames on it. Sell your junk on craigslist to another ### who coincidentally has the same poor taste as you, and stop crying.

John King Nov 18, 2008

I'll just punch you in the face if I don't agree with you! Good posting. You sound like a real gem. Who cares what carmax offered you, you took the car to them, had someone go out and look at it for free, and when you didn't get what you wanted you through a temper tantrum! Man-UP. Thank them for their time and sell the POS yourself.

• Wh
              what123 Oct 02, 2009

Yeah, go sell your aftermarket parts for $1 million and then go back and sell your truck to carmax right?

• Re
              Real Deal 27 Feb 25, 2010

Wow, they looked at your car for free and gave you on offer for it, what nerve. Good thing you left without selling it to them cause you were probably able to get way more for it. You did end up selling it didnt you?

CarMax — it's a den of #s

We took my immaculate 2003 Ford F250 Diesel Crew Cab Pickup truck to get a "fair evaluation and a great...

CarMaxthey are a torture

I bought a 2005 Audi S4 from the LAX location 4 weeks ago. After a week I noticed an odd noise coming from the steering on full lock. Call up CarMax and they say take it to any Audi dealer (I'm in SF) and they will fix it, CarMax will pay. Nope! My car has been at Audi for 2.5 weeks while CarMax pass me from one person to the other, don't return calls and generally try and bury their head in the sand. Even the "Executive help team" can't get the *** store manager to call me back! AVOID THESE MUPPETS AT ALL COSTS!

• Wa
                Waqar Zaidi Apr 15, 2008

I am 200% agree cause I am running into the same situation I just bought 2001 LX 470 from Houston SW location and LX 470 spend more time on there parking lot then in my garage ever since I bough it I am making tons of trip to Carmac service and getting sucks response from them I am about to take the LX470 back this week and throw at them I will be horing my attorney to deal with these people.

• Li
                Ling Chi May 25, 2010

Wilson - you have every right to be frustrated from getting a non-response from them, however you are placing the blame on Carmax because an Audi dealership had your car for so long? I guess the Audi dealer is above reproach, eh?

Waqar - your attorney probably read the contracts you signed and laughed (on the inside, of course) because you didn't. Lawyers love knowing their field will never die because people don't RTFM.

CarMax — poor service throughout

Buying a car from carmax was the worst of all my car purchasing experiences. I came in January 5, 2008 and...