Having problems with CarMax?

CarMax Customer Service Contacts

+1 800 519 1511 (Head Office)
+1 800 925 3612 (Auto Finance)
+1 888 922 7629 (Stale Check Team)
+1 888 922 4911 (Stale Check Team)
+1 844 765 5757 (Supplier Inquiries)
12800 Tuckahoe Creek Parkway
SunClosed
CarMax Auto Finance
Attn: Customer Service, P.O. Box 440609, Kennesaw, GA 30160

Customer Relations Department
Attn: Customer Relations Department, 12800 Tuckahoe Creek Parkway, Richmond, VA 23238

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with CarMax Customer Service. Initial CarMax complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for CarMax above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about CarMax. Discuss the issues you have had with CarMax and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Complaints & Reviews

CarMaximproper prep of car

4 WEEKS AFTER DRIVING MY "INSPECTED" CAR OFF THE LOT - THE left FRONT WHEEL CAME OFF, Dealer it was towed to and insurance imspector both stated lug nutts not properly installed. Car MAx refuses to accept claim as " it couldnt have been them as I drove the car for 4 weeks"( even though I had called 1 week eariler to get appt as breaks were sounding funny)

• Am
      Amaica Sep 19, 2009

I used to work for junkmax and can tell you that they 'might' inspect their vehicles but that does Not mean the fix any problems they find. Buyer beware - take the vehicle to your own mechanic for inspection and use the return policy if needed. Many do return and they go right back out on the lot.

• Am
      Amaica Sep 19, 2009

Inspected vehicles aren't fixed. Take to your own mechanic and return car if not happy. Cars are returned all the time and plopped back onto the lot.

• HondasChik730 Oct 11, 2009

my husband used to work for them... ever since their sales went down they are not obligated to give u all 4 new tires...like they used to, and they dont replace brake pads even if they are cracked...unless its a luxury car. So if you got a regular sedan or sports car...yeah basically they messed you up big time.

brakes - (n) mechanical device used to decelerate a vehicle
      breaks - (v) to render something inoperable or non-functional

Aside from that, sorry your wheel came off. Could've been Carmax, could've been stupid neighborhood kids, or could've been the make/model you purchased (ie, 2000 Ford Focus had recalls to address this very issue). Many variables, but your situation seems to have been handled unprofessionally (at least as you present your case - I'm sure there's more that you're leaving out, but that's the nature of complaints).

CarMaxhorrific experience

I can’t even begin to explain how disgusted I am with CarMax. Prior to this I have purchased three other cars wit them and will NEVER go back to another CarMax again. I purchased my Lincoln LS 2005 three months ago. Since them have had nothing but trouble.

A week or so after I drove it off the lot the breaks started squeaking. I took it back and in the next 30 days had to go back 5 times because it was never fixed right – all they kept saying is we will check the breaks. Finally they had to send it to a Lincoln dealership to have them change the breaks. The supervisor at the local CarMax even told me on MY 3rd visit that its because they put cheap breaks on it but they fixed that. Should have known then!

Well a few weeks ago I took it to the Lincoln dealership to have the AC checked because it was not cooling right. I was told it had never been serviced and had mildew and crud in it so it was going to cost $215 to correct that, clean it out, service it, check lines, etc!

Well a few weeks the car starts having problems running so I had to take it in AGAIN. I was told that there was no real service done by CarMax and that I need a list full of things, flushes, line checks, maintenance, etc and they had to replace a bad coil. Another $883. I had only made my second payment and am already down $1098. Additionally I commented about all the problems I had with CarMax because I had to have a break service done as well and Richard indicated that he remember my car when CarMax brought it to change breaks. He said he recommended this service to them at the time but they said no just change breaks.

Car Max is supposedly “CERTIFIES” cars before they sell them; we know that is not the truth given my experience. When I contacted Carmax home office with all the issues I initially had – they were very uncaring and non-concerned. The response I got is we will contact the local GM. What did he do – simply had a manager GREET ME! Ya, like that made a difference!!!

I think they should be responsible to reimburse me the $1098 I have already spent just getting this car up to par. Keep in mind it is in the SHOP AGAIN because there is an issue with the AC valve!!!

What a horrific experience.

Ling Chi May 24, 2010

First, kudos to you for actually mentioning the vehicle you purchased - I see too many complaints here without vehicle information, and unfortunately some vehicles are less reliable than others. Secondly, the correct spelling is "brakes", not "breaks". Two different words with two different meanings, although your brakes seemed to have been broken (along with a few other things).

I do not know how reliable the LS is, however I do know that the Ford products we sold tended to have higher ESP prices than some other brands because the risk to the insurance companies seemed greater to warranty them than other vehicles - even the Euro models. However, your issues seem to go beyond just simple reliability. Sorry you got a car that slipped through the cracks.

To play devil's advocate, they give the no-hassle return for five days, which is generally ample time to get the car inspected by a third party. We used to get a few returns daily at my store (7118) from people who took advantage of this policy. Try doing that with another used car dealership (or any dealership not offering their once-in-a-lifetime marketing campaigns).

CarMaxquality

Hello all would be used car buyers. I wanted to pass on a FYI for you about Carmax. You see I used to work for this company as a manager, so I know how they go about reconditioning their cars. First their "quality 150" point check is a joke. How can you check all of the major systems on a car from bumper to bumper in a mater of minutes. They use teams of mechanics who rely on each other doing the job before them properly. Its what we use to call a production line system. That would be fine if there were any type of supervision on these teams, but there is not. There was a running joke at the store that the night production team was too involved in racing the golf carts or playing football in the shop that all the cars produced at night were our "crap cars". Who cares those cars our associates would not buy...so what. Well here we have it now Carmax is going to a new production system. Now Carmax is going to be "reconditioning" your used quality vehicle that was suppose to have a "150 point" check in a matter minutes 15 minutes to be exact. Wow now thats a car that I want my family in on the road. Hey how about this...they buy junk cars at auctions and repair them to their "standards". Look at their show room floor that "never sell" car that was repaired is a typical car that we reconditioned at the store. Do you know how many cars have some type of damage that was painted, repaired, etc. Thats why we had a body shop on site...go figure. So do yourself a favor and stay away from these scam artists...yes I do not work for them any longer. Its not the way to treat customers.

CarMax Scam Aug 11, 2009

Well for all of those interested in buying a quality used car here DO NOT!!! You would be very interested in how this company reconditions its inventory. They instruct their associates to rush through the "150 point" inspection on their "quality" used car. Let me ask you this how can you safely check out a vehicle in a matter of 15-20 minutes. I dont know about you, but I would never purchase a used vehicle and place my family in it that has only had 15-20 minutes worth of inspection. This company has a quota to "construct" over 200 cars per week for its customers. I went to test drive two cars on the lot and two did not even start for the sales associate. The third had badly worn tires on the edges. According to the sales associate this was ok because it was up to "CarMax Standards". I was very suprised that the sales associate was very quick to provide me with all of the details on just how they recondition their cars. A 150 point inspection is done by an hourly associate that should be changing oil. WOW! Any hard problems with the cars are sent to the local area dealers (I was surpised when I also heard that their service department does the same). Did you know that they have a body shop on site? I guess selling vehicles that have been involved in an accident is ok for CarMax to do. Wait...they have a picture of a wrecked vehicle on their showroom floor that states they would never sell a wrecked car. WOW! Well I could not even find any literature on what exactly "CarMax Standards" are. So I thought that I might have better luck at another one of CarMax's stores. NOT!!! I went to the store located in Woodbridge and went to test drive two cars. You guessed it one had the engine light on and the other had the ABS light on. No way am I going to buy a car from this company. No way am I going to refer any family or friends to this company. I beg you DO NOT GO TO CARMAX...THE VEHICLES THAT THEY SELL ARE NOT SAFE!!!

Ling Chi May 25, 2010

Bunch of half truths, starting with the "150 point inspection" (it's actually 125 - http://www.carmax.com/enUS/cqi/default.html). Also, the literature never denies accident repair but rather the policy to never sell frame or flood damaged vehicles. The SC training even emphasized that no more than 3 consecutive body panels would be repaired/repainted on a retail vehicle (v-max could have the entire car resprayed and still be on the lot).

Sounds like you're an ex-employee because you didn't know enough about your own company to keep the job.

• Pi
          pickeral Apr 21, 2012

Carmax sells unsafe vehicles. Technicians are honest to managers about what repairs are needed. Managers who were fry cooks a week ago now make the decision as to whether a vehicle gets safety related repairs depending on cost per vehicle reports. If the numbers are too high they throw the dice and hope the customer does not return in 30 days. SAD SAD SAD company especially Naperville IL location. Jacob Janowski is the service OPS manager and is clueless about cars just managing numbers on a report. Beware...you dont know what they decided not to fix to save money.

CarMax — awful, awful, awful

My husband has been with CarMax for 10 years. He was recruited from another dealership, in another word...

CarMaxdismissive and disrespectful staff

Carmax does not allow pre-purchase inspection of their vehicles. Once you pay your money and drive off the lot, do NOT expect quality customer care as a follow up to your purchase. After having purchased a high end luxury vehicle from Carmax and taking it to a luxury brand specialist for a post-purchase inspection, I discovered a few minor issues. I promptly scheduled an appointment with Carmax to address and fix those issues. They would not take in my vehicle until the 5th day after purchase. (You will have 5 calendar days to address mechanical issues and return the vehicle). Instead of replacing rear brake pads and rotors which were deemed to be "very low" by the luxury brand specialist, Carmax simply told me that they were fine in their opinion. Instead of ordering the $185 missing undercarriage panel, Carmax said they wanted me to come in and point out what was missing. How would I know? Instead of addressing the driver side door which would not close properly, Carmax said it seemed to be due to a puffy inner door seal. Bottom line: Carmax will take your money and run with it, leaving you to diagnose and fix any issues with the vehicle yourself. I had even purchased the highest level of extended warranty, which did no good as it did not cover the said repair. The sales manager spoke down to me and argued with me for a half hour about why I was wrong to ask for a little consideration and quality customer service.

I spoke to a service tech, the service manager, the sales manager, a business office associate, an operations manager, 3 customer care rep's in the corporate office, the CEO's secretary. No one would connect me to the local branch's general manager or to the company CEO. Why? Because no one of real power wants to hear of how shoddy their employees treat their "valued" customers. The repair I requested would cost, in their opinion, "a couple hundred dollars".

If Carmax won't absorb a "couple hundred dollars" to satisfy a customer, aggravates a situation by arguing with the customer, does not return phone calls as promised, then they do not deserve a good reputation. The public and the shareholders have a right to know how dismissive and disrespectful the staff is.

Carl Jul 02, 2009

• Th
            THOMAS ROAN Aug 26, 2009

I RECENTLY WANTED TO PURCHASE A CAR FROM CAR MAX AND DID SO. ON THE 5TH DAY I TOOK THE CAR BACK AS IT WAS NOT EQUIPPED WITH A BLUE TOOTH AS IT WAS DEASCRIBED. tHE SALES MANAGER SAID HE WOULD SELL ME ANOTHER VEHICLE FOR 1700 CASH MOR DOWN. I TOOK THIS AMOUNT WITH ME TO PURCHASE THE CAR. WHEN I GOT THERE THEY TOLD ME THEY WERE WRONG IT WOULD BE 5300 MORE INSTEAD OF THE 1700. I SUPPOSE THEY CANT ADD DID I HAVE THE MONEY YES, WOULD I GIVE IT TO THEM NO. NUMBER ONE AND FOREMOST A PERSON IS ONLY AS GOOD AS THEIR WORD AND THEIR WORD IS EVIDENTALY NO GOOD. I WOULD RIDE A BICYCLE BEFOR I WOULD PURCHASE A VEHICLE FROM PEOPLE WHO CAN NOT ADD. I WONDER IF THE SALES MANAGER FINISHED SCHOOL. I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND THIS PLACE TO ANYONE WHO WANTS AN HONEST ANSWER AND A GOOD CAR WHICH DOES HAVE JACKED UP PRICES. COMPARE THEIR WINDOW STICKERS WITH NADA AND YOU WILL SEE WHAT I MEAN.

Ling Chi May 24, 2010

OP - you had five days within which you could return the vehicle. Nowhere does the return policy state you need to get mechanical issues sorted within that time period. If your post purchase inspection found problems and you could not get resolution, then you simply could have returned the vehicle. This policy is not in small print, and was printed on the brochure your Sales Consultant attempted to give you. It's also all over the website, but we can't expect people to read and understand anything anymore. It's much simpler to cry and whine because we didn't act fast enough to take advantage of something.

Thomas - did you bother to verify the price difference yourself before going to get the money? While the manager may have made a mistake, you make yourself out to be an academic genius with a PhD in mathematics, so you must have quickly agreed his numbers were correct. Or did you make a mistake as well?

CarMaxhorrible car and service

CARMAX WORTHY(FALSE FALSE FALSE)I HAVE HAD TO TAKE MY CAR BACK TO CARMAX EVERY MONTH ONCE A MONTH TO CHANGE THE AC COMP. THE MOTOR MOUNTS, THE AXLES, THE SUN ROOF, , JUST SO MANY THINGS HAVE GONE WRONG AND I ALWAYS HAVE TO RENT A CAR WHICH IS ANOTHER 150 DOLLARS ON TOP OF MY 350 DOLLAR CAR PAYMENT, , JUST NOT FAIR

• Me
              Melissa L Aug 14, 2009

If you're taking your car back to carmax they should be compensating you some how. They SHOULD be covering the rental fees also. I bought a Carmax care back in 2003 and had a few issues with it. Every time I dropped the car off they gave me a rental car till they fixed my car issues. I would just assume that all Carmax's went by the same rules. You definitely shouldn't be having to pay the full amount for your car payment either since you've had so many issues with it. Good luck though!

CarMax — lies & scams!

CarMax is horrible, horrible, horrible! They lied to me and treated me very rudely. Recently, my 5-year old...

CarMax — service, extended warranty

We brought a VW Touareg 2004 on May 2008. Since the next day we got our car had been in the service...

CarMax — crashed car

I purchased a 2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 (55, 000 miles) from Carmax on May 5, 2009. Between that day and June...

CarMax — scam and cheating

My firm has represented consumers in a number of cases where CarMax has sold them vehicles that were...

CarMax — poor service, dishonest

Bought a used vehicle there in February. Within 3 weeks, I had it back in for a brake service because the...

Carmax Plano — rip off

I almost got ripped off by Carmax of Plano. They offered me 6500 for my 2005 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner SR5...

Carmax Inccarmax takes car back after two weeks approving loan and tells us to wait a week for deposit

I'm posting on behalf a friend I find this unbelievable . My friend bought a car two weeks ago got approved with a cosigner . Paid a deposit of about $1500 and then after the fact they take it back . Don't even get a cab or provide transportation back home which is sad. Then they make my friend wait a week to get the deposit back(we are still waiting) . Supposedly the lender called the loan . I mean if you're denied a loan you should know immediately not drive off the lot with the car thinking you got it. Its very humiliating that should be illegal just be careful buying from carmax . Don't believe the hype the commercials are lying .. If you insist on buying from them you better have your own financing .Double check those cars make sure they are in the working condition they say as with any dealership.

CarMaxthey sell lemons!

I purchased my car from Carmax based upon its 125 point inspection only to find out later from the Jaguar repair shop that the vehicle had major issues. Carmax's service department repeatedly told me the car was okay but I insisted something was wrong. My vehicle was at the repair shop for 2 weeks when I decided to take it upon myself to call the repair shop myself. They stated the car had major issues and they didn't want to service it and gave me a list of the issues. Carmax Service stated we are not going to make you a new car. I still believe in the business model carmax has laid out but HONOR is not something I feel they believe in at this point since they are vividly trying to avoid responsibility for the $20k plus repairs that have taken place thus far. Moreover, I have driven the car only 25k miles with continuous problems. What happens once the warranty is up? I still have to pay them for the car and repair bills. Doesn't sound fair to me

• Su
                  SuperVepr Jun 30, 2009

Jag's are notoriously hard to maintain and lose their value like a Chevette. I wouldn't touch a new one much less a used one. I would ditch the car and move on.

CarMax — rip off on shipping car to local store

I paid to have a car shipped to my local Carmax dealer. After it did not make it onto the transport for the...

CarMaxnever trust them!

I bought last year (10/07), I've put 18, 000 miles on it. I needed 2 new tires (250.00) the radials were sticking out and the kicker my brakes started to squeak on Sunday so I park the car. I bring it in for new pads on Thursday (I own another car to drive) the guy tells me I need new rotors. What? 18, 000 miles he not telling the truth so I tell him to box up the old ones I want to see them. This guy is right these things are so corroded pieces are falling off into the box. I pay (324.00).

I call CarMax (Greenville sc) I tell them "hey maybe somebody missed something on my inspection but my rotors are shot Chris tells me "to bring it down Monday " I ask him please don't waste my time just to tell me it's wear and tare. Long story short Chris tells me "yeah that would pass CarMax inspection" are you kidding me? They really are used car sales men. I have pictures of these rotors maybe they can use them in their next commercial and see how much business they get. I'm giving corporate a chance to make it better but if not then of to BBB, the news paper the news and tons of blogging with pictures (*this is my third purchase with them 60, 000$$ in the last few years).

• T2
                    T2T2 Feb 11, 2009

I used to work for these thieves but you didn't buy a lemon - you bought a Used Car. With a 5-day return policy you had the chance to have a 'real' mechanic check out the car before committing to keeping it. The inspection is just that. 125 point inspection does Not mean that they fix anything found in the inspection. You bought 3 cars from them and only 1 had issues. I'd say you are very very lucky. This is a good place to buy an overpriced used car and overpriced warranty. Next time do your homework and get a better deal someplace else.

CarMax/DFW Locationsterrible cars and terrible service

I purchased a 2007 Chrysler Sebring in January 2008. I have seen 2 recall notices from Chrysler. When I purchased the vehicle it had a recall notice but yet the dealership told me since I bought it I should take care of it! I took the vehicle to a Dodge/Chrysler Dealership and a CarMax Service Center in regards to my car stalling. I was told there was nothing they could do since it "was like trying to find a needle in a hay stack". They said when it stall, then call them so they can figure it out! Or I can leave the car with them for 3 days until they can "reproduce" the issue. I am a single parent of 2 kids...this is my only vehicle. I cannot use the warranty rental coverage until they find the issue. My vehicle has 36000 miles had is stalling! Last night in Dallas TX, it was 39 degrees and misty, my car stalled with my small children in the car. It turned back on after 10 minutes.

CarMaxfraudulent company

Found a car I wanted at CarMax. Did the research. Applied for financing over the phone to make sure it'd go through before I drove the hour to the suburbs to visit the car. Financing went through, or so the salesman said. Spent three hours at the dealer sealing the deal. Got the car I wanted, traded in my old one, all was great!

Or so I thought. For four days I was singing their praises. And on the fifth day, god created anger, when I received a call from their business office saying my loan had been denied & I had to find new financing or return the car within 24 hours. Excuse me? Who gives out keys to a vehicle without an assured loan? Couldn't they have asked me to fax in paperwork & then call when things were final?

Basically, they MISLED me to think my loan had been approved & for five days, I drove around in my dream car thinking everything was fine. Then they tell me it's NOT fine? I was driving around with an unassured loan? I had ZERO idea it was not final.

I am DEVASTATED. Husband & I are having to apply for financing elsewhere, then drive back to suburbs (an hour's drive; & gas right now is $4/gallon) to fix this problem? Ridiculous. I hate this company.

• Ka
                        kawasaki7 Apr 19, 2009

This is the same thing that hapen to me last week they called me a couple of days later and said mt financing didnt go throught on my dream car. CARMAX IS TERRIBLE TERRIBLE, the need to stop this practice of theirs.they said that i had to pay ooff loan that i have on my motorcycle that im actually ahead of on my payments i told them hell no and they already sold, y car that i traded in who can i turn to about this and what can i do if anyhting

• Ka
                        kawasaki7 Apr 19, 2009

the location is carmax in ellicot city maryland stay away from all carmax please.

• Mc
                        mcfly May 18, 2010

This happens when the bank ejects the proof of income because it was not the same as stated in the application or when any other stipulents are rejusted. The sales managers are to blame for this, they need to do a better job of checking to see if they match up.

CarMax — awful experience

I purchased a car from CarMax at the beginning of the year. Mind you this is the 2nd car I have purchased...

CarMaxfraud and scam

Helped my daughter by her 1st car in Feb., 2008 from carmax. We bought a 2001 Saturn, a very nice clean car and red like my daughter wanted. Thinking that with Carmax and their 125 point inspection, we were getting a car that was dependable and trust worthy.

Boy were we soon to find out that was a big joke. Had car for a few months and started having minor problems. Cigarette lighter dead, water leak and transmission starting to slip and engine smoking and using oil badly. Took car into shop at carmax on the southwest freeway here in houston. It took over a month to get the car repaired half a$$ed.

They replaced only half the parts needed for a major overhaul, Like replaced the exhaust valve stem seals but not the intake seals. Replaced only the piston rings, but no where does the repair list show any gaskets, main seals, cam bearings, etc... With me being a former mechanic, when you have that much damage you rebuild motor or replace with a rebuilt motor. They replaced waterpump not once but twice, cause 1st one was wrong they said. Then the transmission was rebuilt with only a few parts replaced, not a full rebuild as needed. When trannie slips its a complete overhaul.

Had car back one week, and back to shop again, Smoking again, loosing water and trannie acting up again. Again car is in shop for about a month. And this time they say its only a sensor or 2 is the problem.

We get car back again, this time full tank of gas gone, brakes making noise. Which I replaced front and rear brake pads and rear wheel cylinders and rotors. Test drive car and low and behold its smoking again, blue smoke and water leaking again.

Back to shop at carmax again, Still haven't fixed problem, and I get told take it to Saturn Dealer and we will reimburse you the 75 dollar for the warranty. I haven't even got their stupid warranty company still to reimburse me for the rental car I got the first time around.

Car now smokes, gas mileage has gone from upper 20's to low 30's to maybe low 10's. Water still leaks and a car that is not dependable for my daughter to drive and not worth making car payments on. All carmax says basically oh well, we can buy back but be less than you owe and still have to pay off balance.

Carmax is a rip off in my book!

CarMaxChris Nov 06, 2008

My name is Chris and I work with social media PR in the CarMax home office. I am sorry to read of your poor experience at one of our stores. Please contact the CarMax Customer Relations Department at [protected] and give them the opportunity to assist you with your issue. CarMax strives to offer excellent customer service and we take it very seriously when we read an instance such as this. Thank you.

Samuel Dec 09, 2008

Carmax, seems to be pulling a very shady deal. I made a payment to my account on The first of December. For a large amount 4200.00 USD. the funds were withdrawn from my account on Dec 2nd. My account has not been credited. So Friday the 5th of December I call and speak to a csr and am informed there is no record of this transaction. So on her recommendation. I have my bank send a fax to the customer service area. The csr told me to address it to the customer service department. I was told I would receive a call Monday. Monday comes and I call back. And informed by a new csr that carmax holds electronic payments over 1000.00 for seven days. I ask her to check on this I had previously made a payment for 1500.00 dollars. And it cleared the bank fine the next day. My fax is still MIA. I am seeking advice as to whether I go to my bank a dispute the charge to carmax and say that it did not get to them. And have my bank yank back the payment.

• Lr
                          LR3-Nealy Jan 25, 2010

I'm having the similar problem with CarMax. CarMax is claiming that I'm behind in my payments due to wire transfers from my bank. When trying to discuss it with CarMax, one Service Representative stated that CarMax doesn't accept wire transfer directly from other banking institutes. Per my bank statements I'm up to date with my payments, but their records say I'm three months behind. CarMax Customer Relations won't investigate or do anything staying its a different department, but will escalate it. I'm still waiting to her back from them (Week No 4). Now they want to repo the vehicle when I'm not behind on my payments!

• To
                          Tony_Here Feb 25, 2010

Well Chris, it seems to me that there is a whole site here screaming about how crooked Carmax is with shoddy repairs and shady business practices. If I would have went to Carmax BEFORE reading about how bad of a company they were, Then I would have issue to call you as would the numerous people that have posted on this site. Thank god for the internet and the voice of unhappy customers. I believe I will take my business elsewere...

T

Tony,

While you only see people who are complaining about Carmax, you'll find even more people on this very site who state that Carmax offered them a better deal, service, and/or pointed out how they were being ripped off by other dealers. Want some fun reading? Do a search on Darcars and have a laugh.