Menu
Capital One
reviews & complaints

Capital One
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

725 complaints
172 resolved 553 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Capital One. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
10:41 am

Capital One - assessing fraudulent nsf fees

Capital One processes transactions in a way to collect more NSF fees. Yesterday afternoon I checked my balance at 4 PM and had $205 balance. I made two transactions around 5:30 PM--one for appr. $27 and one for appr. $56. I checked my balance afterwards and the new balance reflected the latest transactions, around $122.00. At or around midnight that night a direct deposit of over $1000 went in. The next morning I checked my account and it showed NSF fees for the two transactions from the day before (even though my account was actually positive due to the direct deposit), and showed two checks posting beforehand in the amounts of $90.00 and $124.00 (which had not been there the evening before). I don't understand how they are able to go back and change the order of the transactions after the banks have closed. When I cash a check it post to my account immediately and the new balance is reflected online. However, these two checks were processed later, but adjusted so that my account was overdrawn before the smaller transactions, resulting in 3 NSF charges of $35 each when, if posted in their accurate order, I would have only been assessed one NSF charge of $35.00. Isn't this illegal? I called customer service and she tried telling me that the checks are some times processed later depending on the time the check is received. Wouldn't this verify that they fraudulently arranged the order of transactions to collect more NSF fees?

D
3:40 pm

Capital One - illegal and deceptive practices

I have evidence of the illegal and deceptive acts Capital One has engaged in, from holding mail deliberatly with their carrier so that it's postmarked late (even if I sent in a payment two weeks in advance, it was always late), and not recognizing electronic payments made or posting them late as well even it they were made a week in advance of due date, all...

L
4:54 pm

Capital One - they are #s

They were stupid enough to give me a credit card right after i went through bancruptcy. I paid my bill over the minimum amount every month, and on time everytime.
I then lost my job, and contacted them and told them i wouldn't be able to pay my bill on time.
they charged me late fees, which put me over my limit, so I got charged over limit fees on top of the late fees.
My bill is over 4500.00 now, and almost all of that is the fees.
They took me to court, which I had to go to 4 times. In the end there was a judgement put against me. The whole time I am making payments to them through a credit councelling agency. But they want more than I can pay. I'm paying 80.00 a month, but they want 200.00 a month.
Now they have put a garnishment against my bank account. The problem is, I don't have a bank account. And I have never had an account at the bank they are garnishing.
I have called them at least 50 times through out this whole ordeal. i have spoken to the lawyer who represented them in court, but none of them will listen, and don't have a clue, of what's going on.
But I am the one getting screwed, with all the charges, that they put on my card, because they won't do a damn thing to help me out.

C
Feb 19, 2016 2:53 am

CAPITAL ONE is the WORST group of shyster, money-lender, low lives in the USA, easily. Never do business with them! I can't say enough ill of the unethical, immoral, sleazy, oozing-with-creepiness way they conduct themselves. And by the way, our corrupt politicians (particularly in New York/New Jersey) are entirely in bed with these criminals. STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS - far better to be a bit hungry than borrow ANYTHING from them.

L
Apr 19, 2008 2:53 am

For months I have been receiving harrassing phone calls from Capital One soliciting my business. I have made repeated attempts to get them to stop calling me somtimes more than 4 times a day. They just don't stop. I have never had a capital one card and never want a capital one card. The nerve of this company to invade my private time with their harrassing phone calls is beyond words. On one should do business with Capital One. They have no respect for people and their requests.

0 0

They are complete IDIOTS. They keep charging me all of these damn fees that they didnt tell me about. Privacy fees. 50.00 Late fee... 62.00...protection fee...5.00 (what the [censor] are they protecting me from"?) and of course all there GOD DAMN [censor]ing reps CANT [censor]ing speak english hardly so i cant understand a god damn word they are saying.. ugh once i get it paid off... BYE BYE capitol one...

No one should get a credit card by them.

Jan 29, 2009 2:53 am

I agree I recently began receiving calls from a rep from Captial One offering me a $100 gift card for trying out some new services. My home phone and my cell phone are being called daily. I have said no to the caller who finally has managed to reach me twice and I have told them I am not interested, the first one hung up on me so I processed to hang up on the second one after I told him I had already said no to this offer. What in the world is wrong with idiots!

X
8:13 am

Capital One - account freezing

I went in to the Flower Mound Branch of Capital One to deposit a pair of checks, one of which was for my mentally and physically disabled father in law for whom I am Attorney In Fact (I have durable power of attorney). Despite the account being used for this purpose for almost a year with many checks including ones just like this, (Treasury Dept.), I wa...

J
10:14 pm

Capital One - unauthorized fed tax withholding

When you setup a new Capital One Money Market account, there is a question that asks if you are subject to Fed Tax withholding, and if yes, you check the box. I have never checked the box, but now for the 3rd time on 3 different accounts, they have withheld fed tax. On one account, the only way I could resolve the problem was to close the account. I was told that I had to write a letter and ask to have the tax withholding stopped, I did that twice and they did not stop it. I was finally told by a CSR that the only way they could think of to stop it was to cancel the account and open a new one so I did. The next account that it happened on, I was able to get a CSR to stop future tax withholding but not until after tax was withheld. Now on another new account, they have done it again. I keep copies of forms so I can prove I never checked the box.

At first, I just thought they were screwing up, but now after a 3rd occurrence, I think it is a plan. I think what they are doing is withholding tax on your account balance, then they apply the interest you have earned. If anyone questions it, they say oops, sorry about that and maybe fix it for you but in the meantime they have used your money, then withheld tax that you didn't ask to be withheld so that they are paying interest on a smaller balance. For most of the accounts the amount withheld is probably small, in my current case, $2.32, nothing huge, more of a nuisance, but on hundreds of thousands of accounts, they are saving huge interest payments.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

D
Sep 07, 2010 2:53 am

Yes, A Capital One account is not worth it. They will take withholding just like that which means, it is to the disadvantage of the account holder as the amount taken is not included in the computed compound interest. This bank is very sneaky and CapitalOne cannot be trusted. Anyone reading this, make sure that you are aware of it and it is not worth it to keep an account with CapitalOne especially if you are planning of putting a substantial deposit. It is better to go with banks like Ally, Amercan Express, etc. the .05 % interest advantage and the quaterly bonus they give are cancelled by these practices. CapitalOne just want to hook up unwary depositors. If you calculate things up, the depositor is actually not better off with the 1.35% and bonus that they CapitalOne say they give. Again, prospectve depositor beware of CapitalOne's sneaky practices, better stay clear of this bank.

C
5:37 pm

Capital One - high interest rates

Capital one is screwing people big time, good customers with very good credit are being hit with very high interest rates arbitrarely and when you call them they don't want to budge their only advice is you either keep the high interest rates, continue paying and shut up or, they will close your account (screw your Fico's) and lower the rate. So either way they screw you. New customers BE AWARE! THEY WILL LURE YOU WITH A NICE LOW INTEREST RATE only to raise it after a year or two and there is nothing you can do. They did exactly that to me and it will take me 32 years to pay them $15, 000 with a monthly payment of $400!.
The government should take a look at this abuses and do something about it instead of fighting over health reform or anything else that is good for the people.

Hide full review

With the way the economy is right now you would like that these credit card companies, all of them, would not raise their rates to 24.95% and higher. People are struggling to pay their bills and keep their heads above water and this is what they are doing. One would think that these companies would have some compasion for people who have lost their jobs and work with them so they can pay their bills off. But instead the opposite. They have raised the interest rates so high that many people are just saying who cares and filing bankruptcy to get rid of the credit card debt. I have written hardship letters to these people at Capital One showing them my financial status and asking them to please lower the rates back down to what they were originally so I can pay the debt off. Their reply was that I accepted the contract with them for whatever the rates were. I could cancel the cards and pay off the debt; use the cards until the term was up and pay off the debt; or legal action would be taken. I am just trying to protect my credit that I have built up and want to pay these people off but they are making it impossible for me to do so. Why can't they just decrease the interest rates and when the economy is back on its feet again raise it to where they want and then I can decide whether I want to keep them? Is everyone getting so greedy out there that they don't care about anything except the almighty dollar in their pocket!

T
9:40 am

Capital One - stole my insurance money

My car was in an accident and the insurance check was sent to me payable to myself and Capital One. I contacted their call center on March 23rd, 2010 to get the address and process to get the check signed and payment sent to the body shop. On March 30th, 2010, Capital One promised the body shop payment by Friday April 2nd, 2010. They are now not returning my calls or the body shop's calls. My car is being held hostage by the body shop and Capital One has the Insurance Money. BAD BANK

Jun 30, 2010 2:53 am

also if your account is severely delinquent they will not release the check.if u are over 120 days past due they will apply that check toward principal balance only. they will not hold on your check if you have all repairs completed per your insurance estimate, and as long you fax them proof that your car has been repaird in body shop you should not have any problems... i know this bcs i used to work there... :)

R
Apr 18, 2010 2:53 am

Have you or your body shop provided COAF with a body shop invoice and proof of repair? Usually that is all that's required to have the check released to the body shop.

B

Capital One - poor customer appreciation and lack of customer appreciation

Always always giving misleading information. Every customer representative apologizes for the one before because of giving incorrect information. I want my credit card increased and I want my loyalty as a customer to be appreciated. I am tired of capital one treating me like crap because they know I need them to rebuild my credit and I think they use that to their full advantage. I have always paid my account on time with the exception of a couple of times but all in all they have always told me that I am a good customer. Then do something to show it. I want my card increased to 750.00 or 1000.00 before Friday. I work my butt off at two jobs and make more than enough money to cover any payments that become due. I have submitted previous complaints to do with capital one and I would appreciate a response by return email.. Thank you.
Please email to [email protected] or call 604-777-8703. If I can take the time to contact you then I would appreciate you taking the time to respond to me

2:25 pm

Capital One - deceptive customer service

April 4, 2010 Richard Fairbank, CEO Capital One Financial Cooperation 1680 Capital One Drive McLean, VA 22102-3491 Fax-703-720-2306 Dear Mr. Fairbank: As a customer, I find it very troubling with attempts to reach one of your office subordinates via telephone and US Mail almost impossible. Since February 22, 2010, I made numerous attempts via telephone...

12:04 pm

Capital One - outrageous rates

Capital One and their rates are outrageoulsy high. Yes I was late on my payments, but the past due was more than half of my mortgage and I was still under my credit limit! They would not work with me in any way for a reasonable payment plan that I could afford. They also called 2-3 times after I made payment arrangements.

If they are calling your job send a letter in writing (Cease & Desist) for them to contact you by mail only!that last thing anyone wants is collection calls at work which puts your business out there.

N
8:42 pm

Capital One - illegal fraudulent billing

To make a long story. I've been a customer for years and have two accounts with them. Each month I would send one check payment for both of my accounts. On my check I would include both acct# numbers, and the dollar# amount for each account. I would also, include both payment slips indicating how to apply my payment.

Well in, January of 2009 Capital One applied my check payment to just one of my accounts, not only that they applied my check as a digital payment. Which means the bank does not receive a copy of the front and back of your check. So the account where my payment was not posted to I got a late fee-of $40.00 month after month. I of course tried calling to explain what happened and that my payment was missapplied without success. To date I have been billed illegally $488.00 in late fees since Feb of 2009. Before then, my account was in good standing and current.Not to mention all the payments I have made the last year have not been applied to my balance, but to late fees in which I still getting every month to date on 3-29-10. Not to mention affecting my credit, higher intrest rates.

I thought, that one could only receive 4 or 5 late fee charges for the same occurence anyway? Capital One has charged 12 late fee charges for the same occurrence?

I continued making my regular monthly $40.00 payments- but Capital One did not apply my payments to my balance-but to my late fees, which I'm still accruing every month. I've tried calling to get resolved with no success until I ended up having to file a complaint with the (Comptroller of The Currency)in Aug 2009, which is suppose to be the Watchdog for consumer with Bank Credit Card Complaints.

Truthfully, (Comptroller of The Currency) have not been much help either, they automatically except the word of the rich Capital One Bank without reviewing the proof I had provided. I'm currently in an appeal status, we'll see what happens.

Today, I received a letter from Capital One offering to give a partial credit $390.00 on my account. Stating, I still owe $151.00 dollars in late fees.I donot accept their offer.

I donot accept to pay what I donot owe-not to mention the $480.00 worth of payments I made within the last year not being applied to my balance. Not to mention my credit being scarred. Not to mention, my intrest rate they jumped from 14.99% to 22.99.

See my partial reply to Capital One Bank:###############

How many other people have you done this too?

I notice in your reply-that you ignored my request for a copy of the Front & back of my paid check#4859, why? Because as I stated previously it will show how I requested my payments to be applied. Payments for acct #624 for $20.00 & #693 for $26.00 was missapplied to only acct#624.

And as you mentioned #624 payment slip shows a payment amount of $20.00, and on that same slip #693 for $26.00 was written. You use the excuse, that because you LIE and state there was no payment slip for #693, that justifies you applying the full amount to #624.

I have had these two accounts for years and have paid the same way with two payment slips. There was a second payment slip for #693 which shows $26.00 on that same payment slip acct #624 for $20.00, which matches what is listed on the check.

But say, if it was true, which is not. That is absolutely no excuse for applying my payments to one account, when that payment slip tells you in writing how to apply my payment to the two separate accounts. And list on the payment slip the other account and the dollar to apply payment. Not to mention my check, that it's also in writing tells you how to apply my two payments on both accounts, not just one account.

WHAT YOU ARE DOING IS CRIMINAL- That you would continued to illegally bill me going on a year for late fees, when you have proof of my payment being received and on time. You refuse to admit you made a mistake and correct it! WELL, I REFUSE TO PAY MORE THAN I OWE AND I WILL FIGHT TO THE END. That means contacting and making complaints BBB, News Blogs, Consumer Agencies and spreading the word about your illegal billing practices!
##############

M

It started in 2004, my husband passed away and I knew I wouldn't be able to keep capital one credit cards. I asked for it to be closed and I would pay the balance. ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE! Percentage rate changed to 24% from 12%. Fees began to be added to my account. I cut the cards up and sent them back. Then the percentage went to 29%...more fees. I called, I wrote and the more I communicated with them, the more was added to my account. I stopped paying them. Then Patenaude & Felix, a law firm and Gregg Morris began calling 7 to 12 times a day with threats. I offered to pay a monthly amount, he laughed and continued to threaten me. Then they sued me. I fought them as by now I was only receiving social security and couldn't afford an attorney. It is now 2013 and now they are trying to garnish my bank account which has 11 cents in it. It has been 9 years of harassment. I don't know what else to do. It seems only lawyers seem to be able to break ALL LAWS with no punishment attached. Marie71

M

I have had similar done to me by Capital One and they will not comply with the "Fair Credit Reporting Act". They seem to get away with whatever they want to do. I have been harassed for 9 years. I have to fight them as I cannot afford an attorney. I am now on social security only. This last law suit against me, they lost. But they are trying now to garnish my bank account. Their law firm is Patenaude & Felix and Greg Morris, Esq. If I tell you they are "BAD" I am not kidding. 2004 to 2013 and the harassment is vulgar and bad AND they are "BREAKING THE LAW" and getting away with it. Marie 71

A
Jun 03, 2016 2:53 am

I'm very sorry for what you've been going through with this. There are people who can help. If you go to the website for the National Association for Consumer Advocates (www.naca.net). They specialize in dealing with debt collectors. On the site, you can search for attorneys in your area who are members of the NACA. Contact one in your area (most have a free consultation). They may be able to help. Best of Luck!

S
4:38 pm

Capital One - billing and customer service

I have been a Capital One Auto Finance customer since 2003. I recently purchased a second vehicle in 2008. I experienced some financial distress and signed up for their Car Pay Catch Up Plan. I was told that if I signed up for the plan my account would be caught up and no negative information would be reported to the credit bureau. This was a lie. They...

G
7:17 am

Capital One - deceptive and dishonest

Capital One didn't send notice of rate increase. When I received statement with increase notice, they wouldn't let me opt out - too late. When I called this February to find out why the disclosure notice wasn't on the statement, they said it would be on the next one. They also told me that if I pay just the minimum payment, the payoff time was "never". Then miraculously my credit card was cancelled. I called to find out why - they said I called and cancelled it. I did not, but they refused to admit it or fix it.

11:16 am

Capital One - bad customer service/false information

Unfortunately this company has me backed into a corner. I am trying to build up my credit and have been struggling to increase this limit for over a year and a half. I have had the privilege of dealing with the most rude people ever. The information is never consistent. First of all they say they are not doing credit limit increases due to the economy and...

Capital One - prepaid card

I recently started to use Capital Onecard prepaid as a secondary source for my paycheck direct deposit, since I get paid on Friday and my bank wachovia does engage in the practice stacking your debits, thus I was incurring overdraft charges. the first time I used the Capital one card was Friday payday, and i made two purchases. By around 7 pm that night, my...

G
6:33 pm
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Capital One - right hnd doesn't know what the left is doing

Things have been a mess since I refinanced with Capital One Auto Finance.

The first problem was when I received a phone call from them when I first sent my application.They advised me that I needed to send them a copy of my car title to complete the loan. I explained that my current loaner had the loan. The gentleman informed me that they did not have it and in MD the buyer holds the title.

So, trying to keep things on track I went to the time and expense to obtain a copy of the title.I get a friend to fax it to them upon their insistence. A week or so later I get a call questioning when I was going to send them the title that I had faxed(with a confirmation that it was received).I them mail a copy.Everything was on track.It was a little upsetting when soon as my other car loan was paid I received the title from the loaner that didn't have it.Despite the annoyance I thought everything was now fine.

Several months later out of the blue I received notification that they had never received another piece of documentation that was in my loan packet. In the letter was a threat that if my limited power of attorney document wasn't received my loan would go into default(mind you my loan is paid a few months ahead- and ALL of my paper work was signed and turned in). I wrote back to them(contacting on the phone is impossible)to explain that the document was signed and notarized and returned with my application as instructed.If they would like me to send in another they will need to send me a copy of the document. In this message I also made a complaint as it wasn't the first lost item on their behalf in the short life of the loan. The response to my complaint and request was simply to notify me that they were a third party handling this for Capital One. Then I really got angry. No wonder they can't keep anything straight.I then made my complaint to Capital One (by email once more because the only way you talk to them is if they call you). I never got a response to my complaint or my request for another doc to sign.

Two months later I received a letter to inform that my loan(still a few months ahead in payments) was in foreclosure. The letter also included the document that I requested to take care of the matter 3x and 2mos ago, and a name, phone number, and email for a direct rep handling the account. I called twice and go not call back.I emailed and got no reply. I mailed the new signed doc in but I am so disgusted with Capital One.

Now, I wonder with the type of business they run what will they do with the limited power of attorney that they have been granted?

J
1:47 pm

Capital One - ridiculous service

I am 40 dollars late on my car payment, which I've been paying ontime for a few years now. There was a mix up and I thought my payment was 210 but I had been paying 230. So for two months I paid 210. They called and I said I would send the 40 in with my next payment which is due 3/20. The are calling me from all different numbers at 8 in the morning and 8 at night, even on Sunday. They call around 5-6 times a day. It is ridiculous. I will never get a loan with them again.

P
8:38 am

Capital One - overdraft fees

Capital One admitted to pulling the largest amount purchase and purposely placing it at the beginning of the order so that instead of charging me 1 overdraft fee, they could charge me 11 overdraft fees. They would not help me at all nor would the Better Business Bureau. This is a scam and I am still in search on how to file complaints to make them pay me...

F

Capital One - prepaid debit card

I have a prepaid mastercard from Capital One that I utlize for direct deposit of paychecks and other items such as tax refunds. Unable to access account i contacted customer service at which time I was told my account had been locked pending identification verification. I was told I needed to fax a copy of my drivers license and social security card and my...

Capital One - payment plans

First of all I am appalled at the employees that work in your call centers at Capital One. Not only do they not listen (or care to), but they are completely unwilling to be helpful or even kind. My understanding of a “Customer Service” Rep was just that – to help customers. Apparently this is not the case at Capital One. I recently got a 2nd salary cut ON...

Capital One contacts