Canadian Tirebicycle return policy

Ah; yet another grievance to add to the already overflowing cornucopia of Canadian Tire return policy complaints. I recently invested in a hybrid mountain bicycle from the establishment of Canadian Tire two months ago and two days ago the unit basically stopped functioning altogether. This wouldn't have been a problem, had bike been fixable. What I had thought to be a malfunctioning bearing in the pedal, turned out to be much more. On top of that the back breaks, and a few of the gears were not working correctly.
Obviously, knowing how stern and ridiculous Canadian Tires policy on bicycles is I took it to the local bike shop to seek a bearing repair. This was an annoyance considering the age of the bike, the function of the bike as a mountain bike, and having to rely on the bus to get from place to place that day. Before the day had come to an end, I received a call from the bike shop saying the bike was not worth fixing due to the extensive defects. I was told that the forks in the front were not installed properly and it was only a matter of time until they break apart from the frame and I lose a couple of my pearly whites.
After acquiring this information from the mechanic I took the bike back to Canadian Tire looking for a full refund (I didn't want to another bike because clearly whoever is putting them together is not a professional, nor would I accept in-store credit because I wanted to put the money toward a bike from the locally owned and trusted bike shop in my neighborhood, nor did I want a repair because I do not trust their untrained bike mechanics).
The teenage female I dealt with was completely lost, consistently regurgitating the same unjustified phrase "I cannot return bikes after they are out of the store". Then the manager of returns interviened and stated that there is a sign on the wall that says "All bike sales are final". That statement is completely unjustifiable, not only does it contradict the policy on the back of the receipt, she is trying to legitimize the sale of a poor quality product.
Even with the receipt(Which states I have a 90 day period to return defective or faulty goods, the warranty(which states all parts are under the manufacturing warranty for one full year), and the input of two bike mechanics(including one of their own) who have both said its repairable but not worth the cost of the bike, they would not give me a refund.
My bike sits in the return section right now as they wait for the manager to make an executive decision on Monday about whether or not I should get my money back.
Basically, all future potential bike buyers heed this warning. Canadian Tire will sell you defective items, and then not have the respect to take it back, which leaves you feeling angry and used. Corporate con artists is what they are.
<BUY LOCAL OR PREPARE TO GET SCAMMED>

• Pa
    paxcaritas Aug 04, 2010

Cantaroots, I agree. 2 weeks after we purchased the bicycle, a major part breaks on it. What's with that. Can't return it for refund, -even though I was prepared to purchase a more expensive model. Been waiting all summer for its return. The most frustrating part, is that they clearly don't care. If they truly went out of their way to do everything possible to get it back to me, I would be appreciative. Nope, they don't care. And I agree totally, that their staff are not trained well at all. WARNING: DO NOT HAVE CTC PUT TOGETHER ANYTHING YOU BUY. Better yet, buy it elsewhere. From now on, I buy bicycles from a reputable bike shop, -tools from a reputable tool shop, and so on, and so on. Do I dare buy toilet paper from CTC?