Having problems with Canadian Tire?

+1 866 746 7287 (Online Customer Support)
+1 800 387 8803 (Corporate Customer Relations - English)
+1 800 565 3356 (Corporate Customer Relations - French)
+1 888 727 7478 (Canadian Tire Roadside Assistance)
+1 800 459 6415 (Options MasterCard)
+1 800 226 8473 (My Canadian Tire 'Money' Program)
PO Box 2000, Station Main
Welland, Newfoundland and Labrador
Canada - L3B5S3
How does Canadian Tire work?

Canadian Tire Corporation Limited is a Canadian retail company which operates in the automotive, hardware, sports, leisure and housewares sectors.

How can I contact Canadian Tire?

Via email :  [email protected] , [email protected] , [email protected] , [email protected]

Via phone :

+1 800 459 6415

Triangle Rewards:
+1 800 226 8473

By Mail: PO Box 2000, Station Main Welland, ON L3B 5S3

What is the return policy?

Unopened items, with a receipt, in original packaging and returned within 90 days of purchase will receive a refund to the original method of payment** or will receive an exchange. Items that are opened, damaged and/or not in resalable condition may not be eligible for a refund or exchange. Click on the tabs below for a list of exceptions and exclusions to our returns policy.

Valid photo ID may be required.

What are the payment methods?

Canadian Tire accept Masterpass, Visa, Visa Debit, Mastercard, Mastercard Debit and American Express.

Where is the company located?

Canadian Tire are located in Mississauga, Ontario (Full address - 6670 Meadowvale Town Centre Cir Mississauga, ON L5N 4B7)

Is Canadian Tire a legitimate business?

Canadian Tire have been around for almost a century now so they are no doubt legitimate, but their customer service should definitely work better at resolving customer complaints!

Complaints & Reviews

price descrepancy

Went Christmas shopping at Canadian Tire

1st issue - I`m looking for a 6`` wet dry bench grinder, the sales clerk isn`t even sure they carry it (I saw it on website day before). Okay so I`ll settle for an 8`` bench grinder. He says his computer says that they have that in stock and it should be in the isle we are in. It`s not and he can`t tell us where it is walks away (and doesn`t come back).

2nd issue - Try to buy Bauer Supreme 25 Sr. ice skates. There is a row of them all with prices of $69.99 underneath each one (at least 6 different tags saying same thing) we get to the til and the bill comes to over $200. We calmly tell the cashier the problem with the price tags, she sends someone to do a price check, he comes back with a tag of $64.99.
A manager comes (to help a different customer behind us in line with a different problem) while he is there she asks if she can override the price he says no and asks us to wait and goes checks out the price. He comes back 10 min later with an sales girl, tells us WE GRABBED THE WRONG ONES (acted like we were idiots) and that next to the ones we grabbed is a price of $179.99. He tells us the sales girl will show us the ones for $69.99.
We point out to her when we get back to the skates that not only do 6 tags each with boxes of the skate above it show $69.99 but they also have a model on display with 3 prices underneath JR-$59.99 regular-$64.99 and Sr-$69.99, she tries to tell us the price is for the Jr`s (but the display model is a Sr). I ask her to point out where the $179.99 price tag is and she can`t find one, she says she`ll have to check in the computer. We tell her not to bother and leave.

3rd issue - We decide we aren`t satisfied with the service and want to speak to the manager again, the front desk calls him and we wait 15 minutes before giving up and going home.

TO MAKE THINGS WORSE

We get home and check the skates on the website there are 2 pairs one is Bauer supreme for $64.99 SR or Jr and the other is Bauer Supreme 25 SR or JR $129.99. ($50 less than what they tried to charge us less than an hour earlier). I also checked the availability of the 6`` bench grinder that the sales guy didn`t even think they carried and it said Vernon - in stock. WHAT A JOKE

Than you Canadian Tire for your wonderful service BTW your manager was a dick.

Michael Y Feb 18, 2008

Computers take about 24 hours to activate and update. meaning that if it shows that there are 8 in stock, it does not necessarly mean that 8 are on the shelf or in the warehouse. 8 can be some where from being in a customers cart or being returned.

Price tags can always be a hassle by both the customer and the promotions department.

However your last step to call a manager.. was definetly useless as ive noticed myself that managers dont give a darn about ### customers. You're only gona make their day ###. They are also aware that making you wait will only irritate you and eventually you will leave as you have ur own things to do.
    complaining will not do anything other than frustrate you even more.

Not worth your time.

Michael Y Feb 18, 2008

Christmas is also a very busy time for retailers. therefore if you are not being served the second that you need help, then relax and take the time to understand that you are not the only customer in the store.

Another thing in regards to the pricing, you should have printed out the online copy and gotten a price match.

• Te
    Terralyn Gray Aug 03, 2008

If there is a price discrepancy between the tag on the shelf and the the price scanned at the till you will be able to get the lower sale price with an additional $10 off, or if the item is less than $10 you can get it for free. It's the law.

customer service

I had a winter tire on a rim which had been damaged by a pothole. I took it in to Canadian Tire in April, 2007, where I was told that while the rim could be hammered out, the tire had been damaged and should be replaced. It was a difficult-to-find tire (a Michelin) and the technician told me they would have to order one. I asked him to go ahead and do so as I would not need the tire until the following autumn. He said he would call me when the tire was ready, in 5 weeks or so.

Some 10 weeks later, having not heard from Canadian Tire, I stopped back in at the store. I talked to the same technician, who went in the back, rolled out my wheel and said he hadn't got the tire yet. He said that he expected it in 5 weeks or so. Again, I told him I was in no hurry. Again, he told me he would call when it was ready.

The fall arrived, and I went in to get my wheel. The counterman could not find any record of there having been a wheel. He asked whether the technicial had created a work order. I told him that I didn't know. The man then told me that there was nothing he could do, and that "if there was no work order, there was no tire". He did not check for the tire. I asked "what are my options then?". His response was "your option is to step aside". That ended our conversation.

I took the issue to the service desk. A man there took my contact information and promised to look into it and call me back the next day. Three days later, having not received a call, I visited again. I talked to the same gentleman, who told me that he'd referred the problem back to the counterman to had told me to step aside. That was as much as he would do.

Another 4 or 5 days went by. No call. I should note that within that time, I was able to go to Frisby Tire, order a new rim and tire, and to have the tire delivered, mounted and balanced. I had given up on ever getting the original wheel back, but was quite angry and decided to contact head office. I sent an email to the head office. Within an hour or so I got an autoreply saying that they were experiencing "higher than normal volumes" and that they would get back to me "shortly". Four days later, I received a form letter assuring me that, while their success was based on listening to the voice of the customer, there was nothing they could do for me, but that they had referred the matter back to, you guessed it, the original counterman.

Clearly, no-one, not the auto service counter people, the customer service counter people, or the head office people, have any interest in even looking for the item. The worst part is, it was an old rim and the tire was damaged - the total value of the thing wouldn't have been higher than $25 or so. In light of this, a more stupid series of decisions is hard to imagine.

I have never been a big fan of Canadian Tire, but I won't shop there again.

• Gl
    G Lindgren May 19, 2008

I will never shop at Cdn tire again! Oooh, I was never so mad..I bought several things amounting to 35.00 including a cute tea lantern for 4.99 when I got home I noticed a piece of glass was cracked, their defect.So I went back right away, less than an h0ur later, and they wouldnt exchange my lantern unless they had photo id. I just want to exchange it, not be extorted for my personal information to be entered in their data for a 5 buck purchase! My debit card was acceptable for them not an hour earlier, how would they know THAT was not fraud? What this boils down to is, if I was, say, a homeless person that managed enough money to buy say a thermal blanket to keep me warm at night, well my money is not good enough, as I don't have id! For a 4.99 lantern, they won't exchange it, I was furious. Talking to complaint dept they say they can't do anything for me, and I refuse to give up my personal information for such a petty purchase. They treat everyone like they are fraudelent. Customers definitely deserve better treatment! Grrrrr!!!

marlene firth Jul 03, 2008

I just was in the Canadian Tire Store West Side Mall Toronto. It has turn me off canadian tire all together. I wanted to buy some thing .I waited in the line for 20 mins.then the cash doesn't work when it comes to my turn.We have to wait for asst manager to come .She was so rude.Instead of telling us it was going to be awhile .She opens another cash which there was only one open then tells us to go to another cash again I have to wait.
    Get to the cash which what i was buying was under a sign which said 19.99 for 11.99 and clearly not put there by a customer, They call for the same rude asst manager which said i'm on lunch why are you bothering me. then tell me the price was not what it said I asked for the managers name .She said he not going to give it to you for that price and wouldn't give me his name and walked away.I told her I wanted to tell him about the poor custmer sevice . The ladie before had the same service they looked at her and walked away. One very turned off customer. marlene firth

• Py
    Pyrogalll123456 Oct 23, 2008

So its October 22, 2008 around 6pm.
    I'm in the store to look at fondu sets. I see a cordless phone and the price under it is $24.99 its behind closed, but not locked, glass doors. I grab that and my fondu set and head to the cash.

It rings up at $30-something, not a huge difference but a difference none the same. So I tell her, and she calls housewares and they go and look. The item was in a wrong spot. She calls up the manager and I go with him to show him where it was, stating, it's not my fault that its in a wrong spot especially since it was behind doors. He says that it wasn't locked so anyone could have moved it. Fair enough.

I go back to cash and tell the girl in a firm tone "Nevermind, I no longer want it." She says to me "Well you don't need to get snippy with me." I look at her and say "I'm not getting snippy with you, this has nothing to do with you." She turns to me, putting her fist up and says, "Look here, I'll f****** deck you b****!" I'm in shock and say, "Excuse me?!" At this point I walk away towards the door and where the manger is saying to him that she has no right and no need to talk to a customer that way and quoting to him what she says. He tells ME that I don't need to be swearing! So real slowly and firmly I tell him that I'm """QUOTING""" what she said to me! "Well, I didn't hear her say it" he says, and asks me to step outside with him. So we step into the enterance way between the outside and inside doors, and he tells me again that he didn't hear it, and that "I" shouldn't be swearing. Again I tell him that I'm merely quoting what she had said to me. He says that he didnt hear it, [yeah I got that for the third time] but "IF she said it then HE is sorry" [I'm thinking why are you sorry, you should be making HER appologize!]

At this point I'm so frustrated that I walk away and say nevermind!

I called the police to press charges for her uttering threats to cause bodily harm, they said there most likely wasnt enough evidence, because she most likely will say something different, and so they aren't going to press charges. But he was going to go there and "warn" her... /wristslap. [are you kidding me!]

So some little chickypop gets to shoot her mouth off and get away with it instead of learning that there are consiquences for her actions. And the manager was no help whatsoever as well. If I the customer had of spoke to her like that, I'm sure that charges would have been pressed against me.

• Py
    Pyrogalll123456 Oct 23, 2008

I called the owner of the store the next day about looking into what the cameras caught of the situation [her making a fist at me] and they informed me that ALL of the cameras on cash on down and that they arent recording... I'm sure thats safe.

• Pa
    Patrick FitzGerald Nov 11, 2008

I purchased a Whirlpool dehumidfier on June, 26, 2008. On August 12, 2008 it started to leak from the bottom. I took it back to Canadian Tire and I was told to call the warrenty number on the manual as they only take it back after 30 days. The company that looked after the warrenty was Trans Global, after several calls and no responses, I got in contact with them. They never had any records from call to call, finally I got mad and they faxed a WO number to a local repair shop. He came over and had a look at the unit, the thermostate was not working. He is now trying to get this part from them, with not much luck. My advise is to check things out before you purchase a product like this from Canadian Tire. I am out $179.00 and no one cares.

dauphinses Jan 22, 2012

I bought a food processor from Canadian Tire in which the dough blade was missing, so I had it exchanged. Turns out that the exchanged product was also missing the dough blade, so I brought it back again and asked in store if they would check in a third box before I took it home again. I fetched the product for them and again the dough blade was missing. So they get the manager and she suggested that although it was advertised on the box, perhaps it was an extra accessory that you had to buy and that it wasn't their fault that it was missing. So I asked if I could just return the product as one of the main reasons I bought it was to have the dough blade for making dough. She said Canadian Tire didn't have a return policy like that. To which I asked "Sorry? You don't have a return policy for a product that was bought in the last 30 days (although it was only a week since I bought the product)?". I checked the receipt in my hand to which I was amazed that they indeed DO NOT. The MANAGER then said "Fine...I don't want to deal with this. Just get it out of my face" and stormed off. The employee then gave me attitude for opening up three of their boxes of product - to which I don't really care. It advertised certain things to which they didn't deliver - their manufacturers fault, not mine! Worst customer service experience ever...

worst customer service!

I came to Canadian Tire located in Pickering, Ontario to purchase a battery for my Honda Accord. I was told...

won't take back faulty brand new exercise machine!

Days ago bought eliptical trainer-exercise machine on sale for $299. Took hours to assemble. Does not work right, theres no resistance when you crank the level up. Simply I put it straight in my truck on my own that day, quite heavy. Took it straight back. I did not disassemble it and try squish it back in the box. In fact I thought I might be doing them a favor and they can set it in the sporting goods dept. as a demo since they didn't have one of that model on demo so far! Well they won't take it back. They tell me to call the 1 888 number in the manual, where it actually tells you to call first. I asked for store manager and she came and backed up the girl in customer service without showing any interest in what I said or how long I owned it and never used it yet!

They tell me the manufacturers warranty will cover it... thats just fine I said, but its brand spanking new and defective, I do not wish to spend weeks waiting for techs to come and order parts and then come to install the wrong part and reorder other parts (you know how it goes). I said I simply want to exchange if I can not even return it for refund. No go. had it been tidily packaged up in the box would they have given me a refund? I could have said I never used it! I was just plainly honest about it.

They sent me to their pay phone to call the 1 888 number. Spent 1/2 hour waiting on hold. I am told by the manufacturer that I can have it repaired, or depending on the store they should refund me. I said and thats for certain, you DO NOT have to fix it. They said no, if the store I use will take it back then thats fine. I go to the customer service and then am asked what Return Authorization # did they give me?! I said that they should have told me to ask for that, since I had no clue and had not expected any numbers.

It was useless. I had to go home at this point and cool down. I phoned the 1 888 again, this time taking 45 minutes to get through. Got another lady, she said the same thing. Depending on store policy they should take it back, or I can have it repaired. I stressed that it was brand new never used and I do not wish to go through any repair ordeal for something I just put together. Anyway, she said theres no such thing as Return Authorization # that they use, they can't give me or Canadian Tire themself any such number. She did give me a case # and her name. She told me hate Canadian Tire people need to call them perhaps, they'll tell them for me, but theres no extension # and they have to use the 1 888 # too.
I had also emailed their online support line too, and they gave me the exact same answer! So I was satisfied theres no such thing and I should be able to return it.

By this time between me, myself and I we figured that the electronic magnet "resistance motor" was not making any adjustment noises like they do on all the other demos I have used. I explained this to everyone to show "willing" and that I just am not simply trying to return something I now decide I don't want for no reason.

I call Canadian Tire back from home to tell them theres no such thing as Return Authorization #s at this manufacturers. Now the girl tells me I need to talk to Sporting Goods manager, why now?!... too many people are getting involved, and I have to reiterate everything all over again. So I did. I gave her the case # because she said she has to call the company herself. So an hour later she calls back to say that the girl she got knew nothing about giving out Return Authorization #s, must be new, and transfered the Canadian Tire lady... got voice mail, so she left a message for someone to call her back with a Return Authorization number. So I tell her theres no such thing. No one obviously called back at all and I am still waiting, all part of the inevitable... that I think I will end up fixing it. Maybe it'll be Christmas before that happens.

We have been so mad about it all, anywhere else would simply even exchange it... not Canadian Tire.

• Nt
    N Thompson Nov 27, 2007

I wrote the above complaint.

So here we are 2 weeks later with a brand new busted Eliptical machine from Canadian Tire still.

I have been at my wits end. No one from Canadian Tire or Icon, (manufacture of the Eliptical machine) are doing anything yet! I even asked Canadian Tire if they can have a tech look at it, and she was going to find out and never called back.

My wife called the manufacturer too, got mad, spoke to "The Manager" supposedly and he was going to look in to it and nothing happened. I have emailed them back with all previous emails attached still. I can't believe people are like this. Uncaring after taking a lot of money!

My wife phone Canadian Tires customer complaints line, spoke to several people trying to get escalated to someone who could try help. They all state that its "policy" to follow the manufacturers instructions. Yet we now say we are plain and simple not satisfied and wish to return it broken or not. No one called her back when they were going to look in to it. Two days ago she repeated the same thing and complained and the same thing and no one has called back again. We call people and seem to have to start over.

And low and behold, this is exactly what I said to Canadian Tire when they immediately first told me to call the manufacturer and I said I'll now spend weeks trying to get this thing fixed. They always say that it won't and usually within 48 hours, I heard them tell me that several times two weeks ago.

max Dec 07, 2007

Here's what you should do... take the thing apart and put it back in the box. Go to another Canadian Tire location and just say you wish to return it. If they ask if anything is wrong with it, say no you just decided you didn't have the room for it. If it hasn't been over 90 days yet they should refund your money. Good Luck.

customer service

I would like to express my dissatisfaction with the treatment I received in your Canadian Tire store, 1595 Bedford Hwy, Bedford, Nova Scotia.

On November 10th, 2007 I took my vehicle for regular oil change, and I also asked that some of my car's electrical parts be checked. I had a problem with my break lights switch and one of the fuses was blowing. Technician replaced the fuse, bent bracket back so that brake lights would shut off. I paid $121.70 (invoice #209087) for this job with oil change included.

I was told by Steve Mackenzie, customer services representative, that break light switch for my car Ford Focus 2003 had to be ordered and it would be in store on Monday, November 12th. I asked for appointment for Monday, November 12th so that job could be finished and Mr. Mackenzie scheduled me for 13:30.

On Monday at 13:30 I showed up at the store after driving for 18 kilometers from my home. I postponed all my plans for that day so that I could bring my vehicle in, and to my dismay Mr. Mackenzie told me that they had actually forgotten to order part. "Oh, we can get it for you tomorrow" he said. No excuse, no apology for day and gas wasted to get to the store. Could not he call me before 13:30 to tell me not make trip to the store as the part was not there? Unbelievable disregard for my time and money wasted.

When I asked to talk to the Manager I was told that Manager was off and they sent shift supervisor to talk to me. I explained everything and I asked for the money (except for the oil change part) to be refunded to me so that I can go somewhere else to complete the job. Shift supervisor told me that he could give me only half of the money charged for the labour as technician actually "diagnosed" the problem (which they did not fix by the way). He obviously did not see my wasted day as a problem, either. I walked away and told him to keep the money, no problem.

Also, there was no apology from shift supervisor either, no explanation about forgetting to order the part. They could have at least call me to tell me not to make the trip to store!

Pretty sad.

sam07 Jul 06, 2009

I totally agree, i bought a pressure cooker from same bedofrd store, when i went in bacause fusible vavle was defecive this rep there tells me we can do nothin, you have to call them, then another rep said we can orfer it, ordered it for me and i got it, that was my 1st experience where they brushed me off cuz they didnt wanna do their job, now i called today, clayton park store to order a regulator and the customer service lady said the same thing, they can do nothin, then when i said i got it ordered through the bedofrd branch last time, she put me on hold and ...never came back, when i called again i spoke to this rude cust care lady who said they couldnt find it on the system and they dotn order it for customers, no apologies, totally ignored the fact i was on hold for 22 mins and i had to hangup and call back, Canadian Tire Customer Service is a disgrace to customer service on the whole, they shd train their cust service reps better.

• Ro
    roburty Mar 25, 2010

when will u guys learn...canidian tire is the bigest rip off...

• N3
    N3v3rAgain Jan 15, 2011

I absolutely agree. That store has caused me nothing but trouble. Went there in 2009 because I was hearing a scratching noise every time I would hit the brakes. I was told by the technician that this noise was caused by my wheel barrings since those were worn out. So 240 bucks later I was about to drive off the parking lot when I heard the same noise again. So I turned around and walked right back in there. Then I was told that my rear brake pads were down so they needed to be repleaced including the rotors, but the wheel barrings had to be changed anyway---according to them... Anyway, so I got that done and another $299.99 later I finally got home. 3 Months later one of the brake pads just fell off and I went back. I was told that this was caused by a bad quality product and they would replace everything under warranty. 15 minutes later I get a phone call that they did not have the same rotors in stock and I had to pay another 75 bucks to get the next better one they had in stock. You would think that this should have done it but since that day I had my brakes (pads and rotors) done two more times so that totals 4 complete brake changes within two years and I'm a really careful driver so it's definitely not me riding them to hard or something. Then in november 2010 I had to get my rear pads changed again... who would have thought. Got that done the 2nd weeks of January 2011 I suddenly hear that oh too familiar noise again. So there I go back to the store telling them my problem and all they have to say is : I'm sorry but since the pads were replaced under warranty (not even two months ago) we can't do it again and you would also have to change your rotors so that would 299 after tax. I didn't do it and you know what they will never see my car ever again. This is nothing but ridiculous.

racial stereotyping

Why is it acceptable for Canadian Tire to insult all Scots and racially stereotype them as money-grabbing & tighfisted. The giggling Jock image on their money is hugely insulting and if you think I'm over-reacting, substitute the image for one of someone (stereotypically) Jewish, rubbing their hands with glee at getting 5 cents back from their shopping trip!!

Anthony B Oct 29, 2007

Wow this is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Seriously not even joking. You are an idiot and the most racist person I have ever seen.

• Je
    Jeff K. Dec 28, 2007

He's the most racist person you've ever "seen"?
    Haven't been around much, have you?

canadian tire, 700 lawrence ave w, north york, ontario

October 17 2007,

I had my vehicle fixed at one of the Canadian Tire stores (http://www.canadiantire.ca/)
and they put on a new gas tank on my car that was just over a year ago, the gas tank has a 3 year warranty but they claim only 100 days on labor.

I took my vehicle into the location nearest to me in North York, Ontario where I live
I went to the Lawrence Square Mall Canadian Tire Location.

LAWRENCE & ALLEN EXPWY, ON

700 LAWRENCE AVE W.
TORONTO, ON
M6A 1B6
Phone: [protected]

They said that they were going to charge me $210.00 + GST to get the problem fixed just for the labor. The parts were going to be replaced under warranty. The labour is HIGHER then the part price! This is just stupid that they were going to charge me MORE in labor then what the actual part is worth. The Gas tank price is $182.99

I told him that this was still under warranty. He said that the part was but not the labor. I was speaking with the automotive manager at this location and this went on for a while I spoke with the owner of the store Phil and got absolutely no where with him.

The gas tank itself is only worth $182.99 this store is going to charge me more in labor to fix their defective tank then the actual cost of the part is going to be! This is just a RIP OFF!

What they are doing is charging me the full shop price to install a NEW one. Even though this is repair to fix a defective part that Canadian Tire installed in my car. And yes I had a copy of my warranty and everything with me and showed them that the part was indeed installed by Canadian Tire.

I asked Phil who is the store owner to do this at his cost and not the Mitchell book price because this was to replace a defective product that Canadian Tire put in my vehicle in the first place and that if they put a quality part on my vehicle in the first place that I would not have to be in there that day. Phil the Store Owner refused to do anything for me and was rude and very ignorant with me. And this is a store owner you may expect something like this from an employee but not a store owner!

A store owner should want to keep his customers but obviously not this one. He just wants to gouge his existing customers as much as he possibly can! I tried to reason with him and come to some compromise but he wouldn’t hear it.

The store was going to charge me 2 hours worth of labor just to drop this old tank off and put the new one on.

I asked the store owner Phil if he could charge me what it would cost to have his mechanic do the work knowing that the mechanic was NOT going to get paid that whole $210.00 + GST at best that mechanic would only make $30.00 - $35.00 per hour and since they were fixing a defective part that Canadian Tire installed why should Canadian Tire make money off repairing one of their defective parts.

Canadian Tire is laughing in this matter because they return the part back to the manufacture and get reimbursed for the defective part if I allowed them to change it out plus they are making money off of me for them to replace their garbage part! How does that seem fair to me that I am getting gouged out of all of this, I don’t mind paying the wage for the 2 hours for the mechanic to replace the part but why should the store make
a profit off of a defective part and the store ends up pocketing money out of this deal?

The store should have put parts into the vesicle the first time that were quality parts and they would
not have had to be changed after a year. That gas tank should last a long time a lot longer then
a year!

How does that seem in any way a good way to run a business? When the company first
Puts a part in the vehicle and then when it goes defective charge them the full price a 2nd time to replace THEIR defective part.

If you do the math at 2 hours labor and again the mechanic would only make $30 - $35 per hour.

$35.00 * 2 = $70.00 the rest of that money out of the $210.00 goes right into the store’s bank account, which would be $140.00 that would be going to the store’s bank account.

Why should any Canadian Tire store be allowed to make a profit off of a defective part they should replace the defective part at cost which would be the cost to pay their mechanic to do the work I would have been more then happy of they charged me $70 - $80 in labor to just change out the defective part. But instead they want to over charge me and gouge me in every way they possibly can!

Canadian Tire should want to look after its customers but instead it seems more like they want to rip them off! I know they have lost a customer I won’t deal with Canadian Tire any longer!

If this is a new install of a part sure charge the full so the shop makes some money but when they are going to replace a defective part from a persons vehicle that they installed and they know is not good then they should replace it at their cost! Right now the way Canadian Tire is working is that it is to their advantage for them to install parts that they know will break down outside the labor warranty and then they turn around and charge an absorbent labor cost in order to get the problem fixed. This is nothing more then high way robbery on the part of Canadian Tire and should not be occurring.

Obviously Canadian Tire doesn’t care about its customers and just wants to nickel and dime them as much as they possibly can and over charge them any way they possibly can! Well I am sick of it and I won’t deal with Canadian Tire any longer!

I tried to work with the owner of the store and come to some compromise on this but he refused to budge in any way. It had to look really bad with the two of us standing not that far from the front doors of the store with the two of us arguing out in front about this matter. That is something that the store would NOT want and just gives them bad publicity. Cripes I have spent more money in that store in the automotive garage and in the store itself that they have probably just lost money on this deal because they lost a regular customer due to the actions of this owner.

And when that didn’t work he tried another tactic he said that oh the car is “unsafe” and that he wasn’t going to release the car to me. He then suggested that oh we have a sealant that we can put on it and that he was going to charge me $30.00 for that otherwise he wasn’t going to release the vehicle from the garage.

And this was coming from the store owner! Who isn’t even a mechanic, he is the owner of the store and doesn’t even do that well but now he seems to think that he is a mechanic as well. He was simply doing this to spite me since I was giving him a difficult time that day about how things were being handled. Eventually he did release the car to me and I left that location and hopefully to never return there again!

Obviously I am not the only one that seems to have a lot of complaints about how Canadian Tire is treating people and scamming them and providing 2nd rate merchandise. It appears that Canadian tire has quite a long history of complaints against them too.

Here are other complaints related to this SAME store that I went to at
700 Lawrence Ave West in North York, Ontario, Canada

Installing wrong parts / over charging.
/URL removed/

According to the BBB at the time of writing this complaint this store has an unsatisfactory record infact the BBB

The BBB sent a complaint to this store and they never even bothered to respond to the complaint. Now that’s some really bad customer service on the part of the store.
Les Wall was the service manager in the automotive garage at this location and I am aware of him.

Over charging for work / parts yet another complaint about the Canadian Tire Store at
700 Lawrence Ave W.

Canadian tire has a habit of brushing off complaints that get made by their former customers.

Appears that Canadian Tire really needs to improve its customer service, at all of its stores not just this one if you look at /link removed/ there are loads of complaints about Canadian Tire centers from all across Canada!

I can tell you from my personal experience that how Canadian Tire treats its customers is horrible!

From the research that I have been doing appears that this store at 700 Lawrence Ave W is owned by a company by the name of “J.Paul Cairns Enterprises”

Bottom line is Canadian Tire just SUCKS and I won't deal with them any longer!

• Sh
    Sheldon Priddle Oct 27, 2007

I just had an episode with CTC. I asked for their seasonal package that was advertised at $39.95 but wanted synthetic oil installed instead of the conventional oil it showed in the ad. When I received the invoice the total was $63.99 This was not including tax on either price. I talked to the service manager about this and he said because of the fact that I had synthetic oil installed instead of conventional oil the price was different. I had told him that I would pay the extra for the synthetic oil when I first ordered the package and nothing was said then. I can't see why it cost me an extra $30.00 to do the same exact labor except for the synthetic oil which does not cost $30.00 more than the conventional oil that was included in the package. By the way, this is after they took a $10.00 coupon off the price they had sent me to have me come back to have the vehicle serviced.Without the coupon it would have been $40.00 more. Needless to say this will be the last time any vehicle of ours will ever set a tire in their service bay.

Anthony B Nov 17, 2007

This is just stupid, you believe in ripping technicians off by making them work for free? "the gas tank has a 3 year warranty but they claim only 100 days on labor." You just said it all. THE PART WAS REPLACED UNDER THE WARRANTY IT HAD, LABOR IS 100 DAYS ONLY, WE DON'T CLAIM IT TO BE IT ACTUALLY IS.

David Beck Mar 09, 2008

Sorry, but why is it Canadian Tire's fault that the part was defective? It is the manufacturer of the product who is to blame, if anyone. Why should Canadian Tire do free labour for you outside of the 100 day warranty that they offer? Canadian Tire sells the products.. they do not make them. That's why products have warranties. CT probably has an agreement with manufacturers so they are reimbursed for the labour if there should be a problem. If they gave you free labour they would lose money. If they did this for everyone they would have gone out of business years ago or had to raise their prices so everyone would have to pay because of the greed and selfishness of others.

Sometimes I read complaints about people waiting a long time for the manager, or the manager doesn't cater to their whims, but when you read behind the lines of these stories it's easy to see that they have a lot to deal with on a daily basis. People like this person complaining above are the reason one has to wait for the manager, when simple common sense should have been used by the customer.

defective item

Bought a Yardworks Log Splitter at C.T. Took it home, used it to split three small pieces of wood and it...

car batteries damaged after 5 months!

I purchased brand new battery for my car from canadian tire located on hasting street near commercial drive...

poor quality product!

Watch out when using the Canadian Tire electric car jack sold all over Canada... the pivoting support that contacts the car from underneath is made of cheap aluminum. It breaks in pieces as soon as you start jacking the car, leaving the whole weight of that side of the car on the slippery base that holds the cheap contact point.

Since nothing is preventing the jack from slipping away, the car can easily come crashing to the ground, or on your head or arm (if they are in the wheel-well) causing life-threatening injuries. I reported this to just about every car safety authority and auto club but the unit is still on sale at every Canadian Tire and nothing has been done about it.

Please contact me if you are injured and want to sue the company... they have been warned. So have the authorities.

David Remillard
[protected]@videotron.ca

• Gr
    Grant M Jul 21, 2008

Canadian Tire is selling more and more cheaply made products or should I call it Junk. It is very close now to becoming similar to what the dollar stores sell.. This past friday we bought 3 folding lawn chairs marked down from 12 dlrs to 6 and change. All three were broken that evening, with the plastic brackets breaking off and the metal rods bending. They were used with care by averaged weight people. Today I had to use a box fan to dry some water off the rug in the living room. I had bought the fan at Canadian Tire last year and used it only a couple of times. I accidently hit it with my leg and it fell down flat onto the floor while running and 2 blades just snapped right off in seconds. My lesson learned... no more crap for me from there.

• Ro
    ron Aug 09, 2008

I bought an electric AC/DC cooler at CTC and the cold water I put in in the morning was colder than when it was at the end of the day, it didnt work worth a damn

Angry Crappy Tire Customer Feb 21, 2011

Having grown up calling Canadian Tire, "Crappy Tire", due to poor quality of products I vowed never to purchase from them again. However, after a new flagship store opened up in Richmond Hill, I thought that I would give it another try. Over the past 3 years, every product that I purchased from that store was damaged upon opening the packaging, or broke within 30 days of use. My latest purchase, that of an electric fireplace was no exception. Just over 60 days of use, the product failed to operate. It was a gift, so that made it even more embarrassing! After contacting the manufacture, as per instructions included with the product, a replacement part was shipped ; however, did not match. Further inquires concluded that the fireplace was built in 2007 and parts were no longer made for it. So, my story is this: I purchased an electronic fireplace in 2010 (just 3 months ago), which was clearly an end-of-the-line that Crappy Tire had no problems selling in their store. They probably made a huge profit on this clear-out item, which they sold for full retail; and accepted the fact that support was no longer available.

chevypride98 Feb 22, 2011

i dont understand why people claim the products from canadian tire are crappy. for 1, the only brands that are canadian tire owned are job mate and mastercraft, so i agree on them being crappy, from experience. But everything else in the store is a brand or product u can buy at any other store meaning any store could have gotten that one faulty product, you just happened to get that one defect from canadian tire, they dont deserve the bad reputation they get.

canadian tire lawsuit

Canadian Tire Lawsuit Thursday August 2, 2007, I gave my car (199 BMW M3), a Haynes BMW service manual, and...

terrible customer service and warranties!

I went to a canadian tire store located in woodstock, new brunswick, canada and bought a yardworks mower on july 3, 2007, product #[protected]. Overall it worked ok... For about the first 10 minutes. I can fix it cause it's just an adjustment with the carburetor and maybe have to replace the spring, but that would void my warranty. So I took it back on july 19, 2007 and asked if I could have it replaced. They initially said, "oh, it's got a 7 day return policy only." I asked to see the manager for this department at this time. They were very quick to respond, i'll give them that. I told him that all I wanted done, was to either have it fixed or replaced so I can mow my lawn tonight. He said "you should have called to give advance notice before coming to the store". I responded that I also have to work for a living and cannot just leave whenever I please. I mean, I arrived a 5:00 pm and he said that this time was for shoppers only and not returns... Bad customer service right from the start! He tried to make it look like it was my fault for not arriving on his preferred time. He looked at the warranty and said that because it was over the 7 day policy that I couldn't get it replaced, even though I had my receipt. He also said that no one wanted to buy a mower that doesn't work, well neither do i! He kept asking me, what do you want me to do about it... Canadian tire... You had better get some competent people to work for you! I already said, either get it fixed or replace it so I can mow my lawn. Come on, should I have to buy a product and have it fixed right away? I should have got them to fix it as I was buying it. They made me wait 30 mins and kept saying there's noting they can do... What happen to 30 day return policy! Well, I guess that's up to me and you to figure out. So I called the hotline and they said it's up to us consumers to find all the details about warranty before we buy something. Even if they change the policy to something like 7 days, they don't have to notify us consumers. Well, in conclusion, the man didn't hear a single thing I was saying because he asked me repeatedly what I wanted him to do... At this point I gave up because it had gone on for over 1 hour. They wouldn't even let me return the product because it would be at "their expense". Well canadian tire, you expense is gonna cost you more than $300 dollars, because we are the consumers and without us, you're nothing. We share our experiences with each other and I guarantee you'll see a loss in sales... On sale for canadian tire = "once you buy it, we wash our hands of it, please come again". And by the way, I know you just wash these things up and resell them or write them off, I should know, i'm in the business of writing programs you and other companies use for this stuff... So good try but they can't pull the wool over my eyes...

I'll never shop there again!

it simply does not cut the grass properly!

Bought the Yardworks Cordless Reel Lawnmower (model [protected]) in May 2007 from Canadian Tire in Winnipeg...

rude service

Just had an argument with the supervisor at my local crappy tire (Alliston, ON). I returned the paddling pool...

poor policy and bad customer service!

I purchased a Yardworks Cordless Reel mower part [protected]. I used it twice and found that it did a terrible...

horrible service - I will never shop there again!

I went to a Canadian Tire in Vancouver, the one located on kingsways and across from the blockbuster. I was there to purchase a new door lock for one of our suites downstair. My boyfriend any I have gone to Canadian Tire before and we usually receive bad service, but this was the worst. We walked into the store and spotted an employee. We asked where we could find the door locks and he said he had no idea. Fair enough. We wandered around and were able to find the locks. Looked at a few and found one we liked, but it was behind a lock cabinet. We went to look for someone who would be able to unlock the cabinet and just a few rows down there was someone there. We asked if we could get some help and he said no it wasn't her department. Okay fair enough. She sent us to someone else, same thing "it wasn't her department" . she then sent us to someone else, same thing " it wasn't their department". I went to the customer service desk and they paged someone for me and told me to wait there. so we did... no one came. and again we went back and they paged again... no one came. At this point my bf was getting angry. Finally a lady came and said that she was in charge of the people on the floor and that she would be able to help us. Then my bf said to her that she needs to get better staff or train her staff in customer service. He said that this was ridiculous having to wait a good hour to get service. He went on to say that this was stupid and the employees and the company are the worse he has dealt with. The lady got really upset and started yelling back in defense and then... she told us to [censored] OFF... wow we were taken back... my bf yelled back and said that she needed to watch what she said... she said " you know what just [censored] OFF". we walked away and went up to the front to talk to a manager... and guess what we had to wait, she paged twice and no one came. We were angry and we just left it took us almost 2 hours before we could leave the store empty handed. Thanks Canadian Tire thank you for your customer service. I will never shop there again.

• Th
    thomas Jul 04, 2007

Principle learned here? Canada sucks.

• Ca
    camaro92 Jul 16, 2007

BULL... Sorry but you either are completely lying, adding in stories, or have that store confused with another location.

There is only 1 FEMALE MANAGER at that location and she is NO WHERE CLOSE to being that type to Swear like that.

And the bit about staff not wanting to OPEN A SHOWCASE for your because it's not their department? BULL again! Everyone has keys. It's not a special department requirement.

Michael Y Feb 18, 2008

Customers tend to make things up to ...
    a) get piety treatment
    b) get special attention
    c) believe that they will somehow have the employee in trouble
    d) they are simply lifeless

By the way.

Canadian Tire is welcome for their amazing customer service abilities and hopes that you never come back to shop there again as your ### and yelling must have made shopping irritating for other customers.

Have a great Day.. thats what i would have said to your boyfriend...!!

David Beck Mar 09, 2008

Agreed. This story sounds a little fishy to me. .

• As
    Ashley Apr 28, 2008

HaHa. That's why no one came to help you. They were probably talking about you in the back and laughing.

By the way, I'm sure you're one of those people who "spend thousands of dollars a year here and I won't be ever shopping here again!" Well good for you. We'll be GLAD to escort you out and pray for those people at Home Depot where you're probably going next.

Good Luck getting service anywhere if you act like that.

• Ba
    babolat800 Jan 07, 2009

I will NEVER go back to ANY Canadian Tire Auto Center to service my cars anymore, NEVER, EVER.
    I bought a set of winter tires (Goodyear) at this Lasalle store and have them installed and I felt the vibrationg on the steering wheel. I went to Honda's dealership to check, and I was told that three out of four tires needed to redo balance, the other one (the right rear tire)"has wobble", not workable, have to be replaced. The mechanicians at Canadian Tire not only did bad job on balancing but also failed to notice the tire defect.
    There are some good reasons that the mechanicians at Canadian Tire are SOOOOO bad on both experiences and skills. First of all, many of them are trainees, they just started to learn to repair, and they learn their skills and making errors right on your car. Just like Canadian Tire's Commercial says "I will start with you!". Second, they work on many different cars, cars that made in different countries, different brands, different models, how can you expect them to know all the requirements and specifications of all cars? It is IMPOSSIBLE.
    So I went to the garage to claim my warranty repair and exchange. The employee who served me did not want to admit the problem at beginning, untill I showed him the service report from Honda. When I bought the new tires, they charged $11.96 +tax without informing me for inflating the tires with nitrogen gas. God knows what they really put in the tires. We all know that 78% of the air we breath is nitrogen. When they finished work on my CRV, they did not give me the original receipt back, which is the purchasing of the one set of tire and wheel, plus extended warranty, total $713.
    When I got home. I realized that they did not put my wheel lock key back to my glove compartment. Having no other choice I went back to the garage the next morning. The employee gave the key back to me without apologize, not even a "sorry", no surprise either. It seams that this kind of things is very normal to them.
    The same Canadian Tire garage, 6 years ago. I had my Honda Civic serviced there before winter coming. I requested a engine oil change and intallation of winter tires (already on wheels). The coming spring, when I want to change the four season tires back, I found out that they were still on my car, the mechanician at canadian tire did not install the winter tires on last autumn at all. I was driving the whole witer assuming had winter tires on my car. I know, I know, I did not pay attention. Because back then I trusted them. I thought they were professional. Believe me, they are not professional in any way.
    Do not risk your life, do not service your car at canadian tire.

discouraging the return of products!

I shopped at Canadian Tire for the last time this weekend. I went to the Canadian Tire on Cambie in Vancouver...

bad customer service

Hi all. On April 10th 2006 I purchased battery from the Canadian Tire in Port Coquitlam B.C. for my...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices