Budget Rent A Car Logo

Budget Rent A Car

Having problems with Budget Rent A Car?

+1 800 331 1212 (United States)
+44 844 444 0002 (United Kingdom)
+43 160 1870 (Austria)
+32 27 120 840 (Belgium)
+420 235 325 713 (Czech Republic)
+45 33 913 900 (Denmark)
+358 96 866 500 (Finland)
+361 214 0420 (Hungary)
+354 562 6060 (Iceland)
+31 736 242 640 (Netherlands)
+351 219 940 443 (Portugal)
+41 448 091 818 (Switzerland)
+966 26 927 070 (Saudi Arabia)
+27 113 980 000 (South Africa)
6 Sylvan Way
Parsippany, New Jersey

Complaints & Reviews

Resolved refund of truck rental deposit

Employees at this location are on a witch hunt, looking for and creat- ing problems for customers. I was due...

Resolved crystal clean truck rental

I reserved a truck two weeks before the date I needed to rent it. I reserved it from
Crystal clean truck rental
1006 e north 1st st
Seneca, sc 29678
[protected]
when my fiance got there to pick up the truck he was told the truck we reserved wasn't there so he had to rent a bigger truck that was $10.00 more than the one we had reserved and was guaranteed two weeks prior. he was told to do that or have nothing at all. so, we had no choice but to go with that. I was given a special mileage rate online of.69 a mile and was actually charged.79 a mile. the estimated quote I was given online was $64.79 and I was charge $133.75! when I called crystal clean truck rental to ask about it the man was rude and told me there was nothing he could do about it. when I asked for the number to budget truck rental he started yelling at me so I hung up the phone to look up the budget truck rental info online. I am also contacting the better business bureau about this, posting blogs, and getting the word out as much as possible to never rent a budget truck because you will not be given the truck nor the price you are guaranteed. and the service is rude and they give you absolutely no choice but to go with what they tell you to when it's too late to change to anything else.

• Di
    Diana Bourgeois Aug 31, 2012

I had exactly the same experience!! After booking a truck online, I received a call less than 24 hours before my booking from Lane to say that he would be in town. I found out from talking to him that it was really an insurance issue - which doubles the price - and he would not rent me a truck. My $150.90 truck was going to almost double! With a cursing ty-raid, he informed me that it was a "65 f-ing thousand dollar truck" and "would go on my insurance for 3 years if I did not take their insurance." I told him that I did not want it and he told me he would not honor my reservation. Called the corporate offices to report him. Seriously - stay away from this person. No only NOT the way you want your moving experience to go - but you just don't need to foul abuse.

• Sc
    Scgirl1990 Feb 24, 2015

Yes did the same thing about insurance. Said he didn't make any money off it and that his wife has been in the insurance business for over 9 years so he knew what he was talking about. I called budget and made a complaint and made sure that they cancelled my reservation with him so I wouldn't be charged the $50 fee because I didn't trust him to cancel it. I just went with a different budget renter. He doesn't need to be in business if this is an ongoing issue

• Tr
    Tracy Player Aug 11, 2015

Picking up the Budget Rental Truck in Columbia was a breeze. Friendly staff and helpful. Dropping off the truck at Crystal Clean Truck Rental in Senaca was another story. A rude, grumpy and untrusting old man met us at the truck return lot and accused us of not leaving the truck with a full tank of gas. He proceeded to manuever the truck around for 7 minutes or so "to get it on flat ground" so that he could see if the tank was truly full. The needle indicated full before the old grumpy butt started backing the truck up and down the parking lot to reach a level spot to determine if the truck was truly full of gas. It was so full of gas that the gasoline could be seen in the neck of the fuel tank. The old man was rude, his son was even more rude and charged us another $49. We had just filled the tank to the rim with fuel prior to returning it. I am convinced one of these nasty men drove more gas out of the truck after we left. No doubt in my mind. WE WILL NEVER USE BUDGET TRUCK RENTAL EVER AGAIN!!! I encourage all of my family and friends to boycott them too.

• Do
    Doug Bullings May 03, 2017

STAY AWAY!! Read all the reviews! Google this company! Their Facebook page won't allow all of their victims to post reviews, thank goodness for third party websites! This father/son scam team will try every which way to cheat you, overcharge you, and bill you for things that are out of your control. Dont fall for the gas scam! Rude, vulgar and insulting. These men couldn't be professional if their lives depended on it, they don't know how. Which is why their business is a failure. Dont pay mind to their hours, it changes with their personal plans. Maybe they wouldn't need to cheat people out of their money if they had the ambition to show up to work like other hard working HONEST Americans.

billing

I rented a mid-size car through Orbitz for two weeks in Orlando in mid-March. Through BUDGET they quoted me a...

Resolved horrible

Budget car rental aka Avis car rental is the worst car rental company in existence. The employees took over the company a few years ago and they overcharge you to benefit their bank accounts. I rented a car for 5 days in Tampa Fl recently. I got a quote beforehand through their website for $253.00. I thought this was reasonable. When I got to the counter at the airport the woman who was waiting on me said "do you want an upgrade so you will have more room"? I said "no" it's only me and my daughter and we will be fine in the one I ordered. She asked again and again I declined. Then she asked me if I wanted bumper to bumper insurance. I said "no I don't, I have my own insurance" I then showed her my Geico card. So she told me the total was going to be $305.00 for taxes etc. and said to initial where it had $305.00 on the paper which I did. She then told me to initial in the other boxes to decline the extras which I did. The font was conveniently not showing the tops of the numbers so I couldn't see what I was initialing but I assumed the woman was honest and I trusted her. Well don't you know when I returned the car they charged me $527.03. I was livid. I went right up to the counter and told them to get this off my credit card that the total should be $305.00. The guy at the counter looked at it and told me the extra was for tax. I couldn't believe it. When I got home to New Jersey I researched on line and apparently this is a common fraud tactic by this company. There are thousands of complaints from people about the same exact scenario. When I wrote to customer service they had a scripted response saying I initialed for the insurance at $26.00 a day and I asked for an upgrade. These people are nothing but common thieves. If any lawyer is reading this and wants to do a class action lawsuit against them contact me at [protected]@gmail.com Thank You, Dolores

• Su
    SuperTeacher Jan 08, 2012

I thought that Budget trying to raise my future reservations (four of them) by a total of around $1000 was the all time breech of business ethics but after reading your complaint I am no longer sure. At least they emailed me in advance so I could cancel my reservations which they went into and raised. I don't know how they stay in business. Thanks for warning me. I wish I had read the hundreds of complaints on the internet before I applied for a Fast Break card and agreed to rent from those thieves.

Resolved damage

I rented from budget in December They sent us out in a car with no block heater in -47 degree weather the car would not start I called budget and all they bsaid was oh well it is optional in some cars. So we tried to push it into the garage but the bumper cracked because of the cold. Then we tried towing it and it cracked the back bumper not alot but it did crack. We has to fly out the next day so we had to do something and budget would not do anything they then took 3400 off of my visa card and then would give my an invoice of what they charged. I would never reccomend them to any one. the car had a block heater it would not have happened. The service was awful and they told me that I was a liar and that it did not happen that way.

• Ki
    King1970 Mar 31, 2010

I guess every car in that city has 2 craked bumpers according to ur story...i believe u ...NOT.

Resolved appalling service

To whom it may concern; I'm writing to make an official complaint against Budget Car Hire for extremely...

Resolved over charged

When my husband and I flew out to vancouver to be married a year ago, I had planned everything in advance to make sure we could cover costs.
Our budget price quote was just under 500 for a five day rental. I believe 460 was the quote. I was perfectly happy with that amount, and naturally, I expected perhaps another 50 for some odd airport tax or whatever other little surprises there might be.
I'd heard there were some complaints about their 'pay in advance and drive back on an empty tank' deal, so I avoided that, and promised myself i'd return the tank brimming with gas. Crisis averted, right? Wrong.
So, we return the car, he marks down the gas gauge as a full quarter tank above where it was when I picked it up, and I see that he marks it down as such (I am sitting in the drivers seat until I see this information has been marked down). We walk twenty feet over and enter the agent office, and appartently another reality.
In this reality we are billed for returning the tank empty, then for extra insurance because they said we didn't pre-pick our insurance, and then a series of other charges that even the manager couldn't find a reason for, but refused to remove.
We paid 970 dollars for the rental.
I cried openly in public for the first time in my life, outside of a funeral.
We had to use all our wedding present money to transfer funds onto our visa to pay for a rental that was supposed to cost us shy of 500. I called budget for three months at least twice a week.
They told me that the budget at the airport was independent and they couldn't help us in anyway.
The budget I delt with at the vancouver airport refused to go over my bill, explain charges, and on one occasion I was told in not uncertain terms to never call back. Once I was told "too bad!" and she laughed and hung up.
I can't say enough terrible things about them. Never use them.

• Os
    oscar aguayo Jun 15, 2010

conf. #san juan, p.r. oo9370318, pr on priceline total amuont due $150.oo after 3 days 19 hrs. $209.00. and thier service was the worsed ihave evre had. iwill not rent from bu [censor] again.

Resolved pre pay online services

I reserved a car online and went with the pre pay option to save money. ONLINE it states that if you need to cancel for any reason it's not a problem. Budget will charge you $10-50 cancelation fee depending on the circumstances and refund your money as soon as possible. I canceled and was told that it would take 7 days to refund money. I asked why so long for an electronic transfer? It's just money they took out that they will resubmit to my account. I'm still waiting on my refund. When I spoke with a rep today she told me it may take up to 10-15 days because the processing is behind because of the holidays. DO NOT pre reserve your vehicle online with a credit or debit card. They will charge you and you won't know when you will get your money back. Place a reservation for the car WITHOUT prepaying it.

• Ba
    barbara fernandez Sep 05, 2007

Orbitz booked my flight with car at budget on my walmart visa. They charged my card and when i went to pick up the car budget said they wanted another 100.00 on a different credit card. They would not accept the card i had already booked with the airlines. I had to go to another car company. Budget finally agreed to charge back 89.00 since i didn't get the car. Problem was that now i did not have the money to rent another company since i used the money on that card. I spent from 10am until 5 pm in the office of the other company until someone could go put a money pac on that card. Orbitz said that it would take at least 2 months to credit my card. This put me in an intolerable situation since i was attending the funeral of my best friend of 50 years. No-one seemed to care at all that I was stuck in phila. all day. I feel that orbitz should compensate me in some way as this is no way to do business. The people at budget were very uncaring!!!

• Br
    Brenda Schrader Sep 16, 2009

I am in Burbank, sitting on the floor, there are no chairs, waiting for my husband to get our car that we made a reservation for... We were the eighth person in line and we have been here for an hour and 10 minutes and the 6th person is being waited on. There is only one person waiting on people and it is slow, slow, slow. Others, National, Avis, etc. get to their customers quickly and effitienty. We travel a lot in the US and have never had such SLOW service...at this rate it may be another hour before we get to talk with the agent... Try finding their customer service...I called to complain and the national number had not customer service...go figure...

• He
    Helicone Mar 24, 2011

Picked up a Hyundai Electra with paint on the passenger seat and passenger door. I thought, “Ok, this is not how I would want my cars going out, but maybe they are busy because it is Christmas and all”. I thought it was SO obviously all over the place that there was no doubt they knew about it. I am not much of a complainer, and it didn’t affect my ability to drive the car, and it was otherwise clean, so I left, did my visiting with my family and friends and went to turn it in a week later.

I told the guy who received my car that I was surprised it went out that way. I was not in any way ugly about it, and I was not looking for a refund or any kind of special treatment. The man said it wouldn’t have gone out that way so I must have done it. My jaw dropped! I told him it was like that when I picked it up and he said he doubted it since it changes hands so many times during the process of “cleaning”. I said, never mind I’ll tell them inside. I went inside and explained the paint, the girl gave me a look, and called the manager.

The manager came out, I explained what happened, she rolled her eyes and said, “There’s nothing I can do, but I will look at it”. I followed her out to the car she looked at it and said, “Mm, nope, it wouldn’t have gone out of here like that, no way”, and walked off. I said, “God is my witness, it did go out like that”. She just said, “Nope, you will be charged for this”. I was incredulous. What could I possibly do now? I am the one that didn’t complain, so it is my fault? I know now I should have complained.

Now I know how an innocent person in jail feels like sort of. I cried all the way home. But then my sister said, they probably just recycle the car. If you complain, fine they get you another car, but if you don’t, you get stuck with a bill. Hmmmm. There is no way, if it “passes through so many hands”, that they didn’t know about it. It got me to wondering how many people would just pay the bill and go on with life. Ok, I know, it sounds like a conspiracy theory, but I am innocent, I did not do this. How could so many people there NOT know about it? So beware of the Budget Rental at the Hobby Airport, Houston, location.

• Pr
    Protectagainstlies Jul 26, 2011

I rented a car from Budget Rental Car San Diego Airport location in June 2017. After waiting in line 2 hours and 45 minutes, the agent told me to sign my the contract quickly (for my reserved car) due to the number of people in line. After signing, I had to wait an additional 40 minutes because no cars were available. I have since received my credit card statement and there was a charge for "Traveler's Advantage Annual Membership for $139.99." I called to inquire and they said it was part of my Budget Rental Car contract. Nothing was disclosed to me from the Budget Agent. I have filed a dispute with my credit card company, filed a complaint with Traveler's Advantage and with Budget Rental Car. I will never rent from Budget Rental Car again and I encourage everyone else to avoid them as well.

• Su
    SuperTeacher Jan 08, 2012

We (my wife and I) made four rentals on June 11, 2017. We called Budget's 800 number and confirmed the rates without any problems. Part of the confusion to come may have been that we have always used Travelocity for our rental car bookings and did so this time as well. The reservations were to be for four separate trips of around 5 days each from January 2017 until the end of April 2017.
    On January 2, 2017 we received emails (2) stating that the original reservations were a computer error and that Budget Las Vegas would not honor them. When we called the person who wrote the emails she steadfastly refused to come to the phone. So we filed complaints with both Travelocity and Budget customer service and neither could tell us anything helpful. Apparently the Budget Car Rental business in Las Vegas is independently owned and has no reason to abide by Budget's rules or regulations. Nor do they seem to honor either their reservations or display even a minimal amount of common courtesy.
    Well, the complaints must have gotten back to Budget Las Vegas because Ms. D. T-------- (who claimed to be the general manager) called us the next day. She said that customers like us (those who seek a bargain apparently) were not welcome at Budget Car Rental. In fact, she clearly stated that Budget would not rent to us at all since they are independently owned. She had gone into our reservations and raised them approximately $1000 total. She concluded with this beauty, "if we came to claim the reservations that Budget would not honor them and would charge us $75 per rental cancellation fee." She suggested that we cancel the reservations willingly.
    So there you have it. Blame your own incompetency on the computer (error) and take no responsibility for reservations that were made and confirmed approximately seven months ago. Way to go Budget. Be proud. You have cheated us. Good luck trying to do it again.

Resolved deceptive contract

Reserved a car on Budget.com for a week in Seattle. Arrived at the airport, presented our reservation, declined the insurance, and signed the forms. Did not read the contract, BIG mistake! We were upgraded to a more expensive car without our knowledge. Reading the contract afterwards, it is not obvious that the car was upgraded. But it was, and we ended up paying $276 more than expected. Always read your contract and compare it to your reservation. They said absolutely NOTHING verbally about the upgrade.

Also, their customer service is worse than useless if you try to resolve this sort of thing.
No more Budget for us, bunch of crooks.

• Le
    Legalease Nov 08, 2009

When signing a rental contract from any business, all pertinent information is on that contract, available for all customer to read before signing and agreeing to the contract.

If there are any questions regarding the information and charges shown on the contract, it is the customer's responsiblity to ask questions and have the contract changed if the customer does not agree with the information provided.

Always remember! You are signing a legally binding contract and it is the customer's responsibility for reading and understanding that contract BEFORE signing it.

• El
    ell eff Dec 12, 2014

you are so right! I rented a car at Boston Logan Airport. Waited in a long line at the rental counter for my prepaid car. ELONZO, the care rental rep. was distracted by the hectic atmosphere. I requested coverage for damage to the rental car. ELONZO me I was purchasing Coverage for damage to the car...when in reality he had me sign for supplemental insurance...which I don't need because I have it with my insurance company. He repeated back to me after I secured my question about ..."so the car is covered for any and all damages?" His repsonse.." yes..in this town, people are crazy drivers...its not worth taking a chance" I trusted that where the illiterate employee had me sign was what I "thought" I was paying for. ELONZO was not paying attention...doesn't know the rental contract very well and was deceptive as an EMPLOYEE OF BUDGET. I am now saddled with a claim of almost $900 from BUDGET because of me trusting one of their illiterate employees. I WILL NEVER RENT FROM THEM AGAIN. Always read what you are signing...even if they are telling you ...no need to read ...I will explain it to you. STUPID!!!

Resolved fraudulent charges

At the time of returning a rental car for a week=end use having driven it only a total of 139 miles, we were charged for a full tank of gas. We returned this vehicle with a full tank as per their contract. We complained and they say they have investigated and supposedly are giving a credit for 1/3 of the additional charge. Also that we should be understanding of their plight, although I can't understand what plight that might be unless they are in financial staits because of shoddy operation. We are willing to pay the original exhorbitant car rental charge for the weekend in question. but resent their usurious overcharge..This sounds like the attempt of a National company to make the consumer pay for its management failures.

Resolved rent a car scam in dublin ireland

Budget has defrauded a few of us in Dublin, I rented a VW Golf in April 2009, it had a defective clutch (?...

Resolved over-charge on quoted rate and additional charges

Upon pick-up of confirmed, quoted, reserved vehicle, Budget decided to apply additional taxes on top of the taxes already quoted, which bumped their weekly outrageous fee by an extra $36.00. Because their pick-up location (and most of the other car rental facilities at Denver Airport), is in an area too far from the airport for a customer to give their business elsewhere (you are shuttled to the car rental facility), a person is forced to accept their add-on, rip-off fees. There is no other alternative. You are at their mercy. The non-smoking vehicle had obviously been smoked in, with cigarette burns and stench. The front window had a large, round chip right under the front mirror that I got to look at for one week. Upon receipt of my charge on my credit card yesterday, they also decided to charge me $15.00 in toll fees originating in New York one week after I returned the vehicle. I never used a toll road, and I've never been to New York. NEVER RENT FROM BUDGET. I am also going to report them to the Better Business Bureau and all agencies in Colorado.

Jaxon Smith May 05, 2014

This is
    very much great and hope fully nice blog. Every body can easily found her
    need able information. I am visit first time but I fond many use full
    article. I will back again when get time.

Resolved insurance

After bidding on a car through Priceline, I went to Fort Lauderdale airport to pick up the rental. The agent...

Resolved abusive counter person

Arrived from Canada last night. Went to counter in Budget in Lihue, Kauai. We were met by Miss Cho. Miss Cho intimidated, yelled, was defensive when asked a quiet question, politely, insisted on giving us insurance for both husband and wife when husband only driving, would not take wife's credit card for the transaction and only husband driving, only had one credit card with us in interest of security, yelled and was extremely rude, demanding licenses to be removed from wallets and placed correctly before her, had such a thick accent we could only understand 1/8 of what she said but the body language, tone, and manner were very explicit. She thought we were a couple of country hicks not worth 2 cents and could be sold a $1200. deal when I had a confirmed reservation with a base price of $444.48. We just wanted a small car and insurance for one. When in Maui 6 months ago we had a car from Budge for $1200. for 5 weeks, and it was Mustang convertible, now we have a 4 door compact for $1332.77 and I have been up all night fuming unable to contact any customer service people as it is a holiday weekend. There was no one to talk to last night in the Office at Budget locally either. We will be wasting a whole morning driving back there, not mention long distance calls on my cell, and extreme anxiety, and a really bad impression of Kauai as she was the first person we met.

• Ih
    ihatebudgetrentacar Apr 19, 2011

so sorry that happened---I have been emailing them about horrible treatment at the Santo Domingo airport in Dec. 2010 and still no resolution. their behavior endangered my life, cost me extra money as I missed my plane, and had to stay at an overpriced lousy Quality Inn by the airport--I was mugged as we went for food around the airport and luckily my fiancée talked sense into the guys. But the hotel chalked it up to a misunderstanding. Budget is horrible and they still havent reimbursed me for the missed flight change, 100.00 The crappy hotel we had to stay in (182.000)and the gas that they say we owed them. What a mess. Super unresponsive and I really feel that they don't care--because they are sooo big-----I will take this to the top--I am that pissed. Better luck in your travels!!!

Resolved breakdown/customer service

Truck broke down... They towed my dog in the broken down truck for 2 and a half hours through the desert with no air conditioning or water... Totally illegal... Made me lose a lease, now paying 125.00 more a month for a house... Couldn't register my son for school, etc etc. They said they would discuss settlement when closed out... Called cutomer service in tulsa oklahoma and spoke to the end all in customer service, nan. They offered 25%... Not acceptable... They cost me 1400.00 for the lease alone... Nan said she had no one above her to discuss further and she did not know a corporate numer. I was calm, but she said that was that and hung up on me. Called back, talked to nina, asked for nans supervisor... No one else... Nan is the top dog. I insisted I talk to someone besides nan... Nina said that was their final offer and the other level 2 agents were busy and they will call me back in 24 hours... Not acceptable... Again I insisted that the offer was not acceptable and nina also hung up on me... This is budgets customer service department... Its their way or nothing and when they are done with you they hang up on you... Keep in mind... I was not screaming or going crazy... Just wanting to be heard out... Ridiculous... When we were broken down we met several people and they said always use penske... I will.

• He
    Herry Potter Sep 09, 2009

You are a disgusting sorry person that needs some serious help. You pay few hundred dollars to rent a little van and then when it broke down, you want something big and free. If you were in rush so much, you should have hired professional moving help.

You are a loser. At least they towed you right away. You are not supposed to ride in that broken van. If I was that tow truck driver, I would live you in the desert. He was nice to you to let you ride in that van. People like you are taking advantage of bad situation. Guess what, I hope you never rent anything from Budget again. As you can guess, they don't need your 150 dollars. Also get a better story; no one would lose a lease or son’s schools registration for just been late for few hours or even few days. You should have planed ahead of time. What a sorry story. Stop blaming people for your own fault. I think you are plain trash, low ends person. Get a life and education.

• Fr
    Frances Benes Oct 15, 2009

Your service was very unsatisfactory. Myself, my grandson and great grandaughter were stranded for four hours on a busy Interstate Highway between Fort Worth, Texas and Hillsboro, Texas. 28 miles out of the way. Budget office told us there would be 2 men and a new truck waiting for us there wasn't. Budget office than told us it would be the next day that we would receive our new truck. We was told to go to the best western and they would have us a room, budget office did nothing of the sort to help us. We were than told we could sleep in the truck. We had a 4 year old great grand daughter with us so we had to rent a room ourselves. We were 24 hours without a truck and budget only wants to reinburse us 25% not including the money we were out for food and a hotel. I hope your company doesnt treat everyone who rents a truck the way we were treated. YOUR COMPANY AND CUSTOMER SERVICE ARE VERY UNPROFESSIONAL.

Resolved Misrepresentation of Services

I worked with your company Budget rental to rent a car to drive to Florida and back for a Medical Emergency for a family member.

They gave me a confirmation number, they guarenteed me a car rental.
Never in any of the process in which I had spoke to the online personel as well as the service people at the location no less than 15 to 20 times getting all this arranged.

The day I was supposed to leave, I drove a hour to get there, they said I wouldn't need to have a $400-$500 hold on my account only $200.00, then said "let me go see what we have, when he came back he ran my check card, he then informed me I didn't "pass your credit check" and they refused to rent me a car.

Never in the entire process days earlier was this ever mentioned, EVER! They had my card #, they had all my information.

I would like for your company to explain to me how you can do this to the public, if you guarentee a vehicle, give them a confirmation # how could they have done this" at the complete and total injustice of what your company has done!

Trina L Harnden
[protected]

anonyMiss Sep 10, 2009

This situation is very unfortunate, but obviously you don't rent cars very often. If you did, you would know that you do need to have a deposit amount available on top of the cost of rental. No one is going to give you a car without a deposit and you really should expect that. The amount can go up to $1000!!! So just be prepared.

Resolved price gouging

Hidden fees
Recently I rented a car from budget (Thru priceline) from the indianapolis airport location. Upon arrival, they allegedly didn't have the midsize I had reserved or a fullsize upgrade, so they stuck me in this hideous little economy. They took a little bit off of the price after letting them know I was pissed off about the reserved car not being available. $169.00 for 4 days before fees and taxes. After insurance, fees, taxes on the fees, taxes on the insurance, fees for the additional taxes, and oh yeah, airport fees, county, state and local taxes, that little pos cost me $467.28 - for 4 days.
Won't happen again. Bad when it's cheaper to take a cab.

• Ro
    robbb Aug 28, 2009

Just rented a Chevy Cobalt (the upgrade from the economy car for an extra $4.00) in Las Vegas. I asked for economy with the most basic insurance they require since I have insurance. I was in a hurry and didn't really read over the paper work - huge mistake. The gal helping circles $114.84 and tells me thats my total. I figure its a little high for a $36 car for two days but with all the fees these days it's probably right, So I take the care. Yeah, the $114.84 was what she was charging me for insurance per day. Boy was I surprised when I returned and they charged me $348.00 for two days in an tiny car. We'll fight this one out.

Resolved overbooking

I made a reservation with my local Budget through Orbits. I called the morning of the pick up and they told me they didn't have ANY cars available. There was no help from the person at that location so I called corporate. They seemed shocked but could offer no help at all. They did try to get me to take a smaller car, farther from my home with an additional 50% higher rate. I told them I would pay no more than what was quoted me. They agreed to the price but could not guarantee that the car would be available for up to 7 hours after my original pick up time.

I went back nearly 2 hours after being told no availability and talking with corperate headquarters to make another reservation through Orbitz and a 3rd reservation through Budget online. Both reservations were accepted and confirmation numbers were issued. So it was NO ACCIDENT that they had no cars. They made no effort to keep what happened to me from happening to others at the same time.

Just a really poor business ethic that makes me really sick to my stomache.

Resolved scam and cheating

I recently rented a car on-line through Budget car rental and declined all insurance coverage because it was included on our credit card. When we arrived in Cancun we were shuttled to the Budget Airport office where we were told by the Manager that we had to pay an additional $10.us per day for liability insurance because it was mandatory in Mexico. I argued with him stating that it was not on my confirmation and he said we could not have the car unless we signed for the insurance. It was dark outside and we were in the middle of nowhere so we signed for the insurance knowing we could complain once we returned home. Well we did complain and the bottom line was that Budget said we signed the agreement so therefore we accepted the terms of the contract.

My brother arrived the same day in the morning to pick up his car and they did the exact same thing to him.

My suggestion is not to rent from Budget at the Cancun airport but if you do and this happens make sure you make a note on the agreement that you are signing for the insurance only because they said it was mandatory and you have no choice if you want the car.

• By
    by any other name.upset Jul 22, 2010

The newst scam. I supposedly went through a tool worth .75 cents in DC and I did not payed, in April, today August I got that bill home (in Miami) but for 25.75 dollars. I f they knew I did something wrong why didn't they send the bill to me in April, when I could have payed .75, 10 with a bit of delay, but now when is so much more. Is it simply ridiculous. I refuse to pay anything over .75 cents. What shameless crooks are these people.

Resolved lied, overcharged

Budget kept me waiting a half-hour though I had a reservation, while Budget helped people without a reservation. Clerk said, "sign for this amount", but later put in a higher amount (triple), in retaliation, becuaus I complained to her that she and her partner should have had two lines, one for people with reservations and one for people without, or should give priority to those with reservations. Budget Car Rental in Nashville are crooks. Company replied saying they would not refund my money, offered me a coupon on my next rental. I said, I won't be renting from Budget again.

• Wh
    whistleblower Apr 16, 2009

You mention that the clerk changed the amount to triple of what you signed for. When you signed, did you get a copy of that? Once signing, you should demand a copy of that as proof of the amount you originally signed for.

It is amazing how these auto rental places don't give a darn about their reputation. All of these places are known to screw people. That is why I won't deal wit any of them.

• Lb
    L.B Jun 24, 2009

Budget Car rental are cheats and have the worst customer support I have ever seen.

No wonder the company did not survive by itself and was taken over by Avis.

I booked a oneway rental from Ohare on 7th June, the booking was done through expedia where I had declined the insurance. Also when I picked up the rental car I was told to sign in places to decline the insurance. The cheat/lady at the counter repeatedly told me that I was declining the insurance and that I would not be covered, which I agreed to as I have my own car insurance.

To my surprise, I was charged insurance and when I contacted them they said that I signed for it. I agree I should have read what I sign for, but these cheats keep you engrossed in words while you sign for something other than they are telling.

After contacting customer support, drop off location (as it was oneway) and even the Ohare area manager, all are covering up their location staff by saying "You have signed it"

I beleive that the insurance coverage is a major source of income for their goal and that is why they all team up to protect this misleading practice resulting in this fraud.

I will be taking up this matter with BBB, but I suggest all those who rent, to read what you are signing for very carfully to avoid paying extra.