Menu
Brittany Ferries
reviews & complaints

Brittany Ferries
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

12 complaints
1 resolved 11 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Brittany Ferries. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
M
9:06 am EDT

Brittany Ferries - Contacting Brittany ferries

I tried to contact Brittany ferries by phone about a cancellation but after three frustrating days was unable to do so . If you are always 'exoperiencing a high volume of calls' why not do something about it? In reply to an email I sent it says'we are receiving a high volume of emails and it may take 14 days to reply'

14 days to reply to an email ? Surely not. It appears to me that customers are being treated with contempt.

R McLean

Desired outcome: Improve communication

J
9:29 am EDT

Brittany Ferries - Ferry Cabins

Booking Ref > HQ25504

My wife and I have sailed with Brittany Ferries numerous times but this is the first time I have need to complain.

We were allocated a disabled cabin on our crossing Friday 10th June 2022, although we are not disabled we are in our 70's and found accessing the top bunk impossible, so got little or no sleep.

Then return journey we were allocated another disabled cabin Friday 24th June, although we did ask to be moved we were told we couldn't

We payed a lot of money for these crossing and would like some form of refund please

Desired outcome: Refund for cabins

A
8:07 am EDT

Brittany Ferries - Delayed ferry

Booking reference: HZ74790 - Rosslare-Bilbao 27th May [protected] hrs.

Cost: 681 euros for 2 adults, car + roofbox and outside cabin for 2 nights.

Boat delayed and we did not board until after 0300 hrs on 28th May.

Then we did not dock in Bilbao until just after 1400 hrs on 29th May and did not get off the boat until approximately 1445 hrs. As we had an 8 hour drive to our final destination and would be unable to unload our caravan in the dark to be able to sleep in it we had to stop overnight at Hotel Avenida Zaragoza 29th-30th May - booking reference [protected] at a cost of £44.01. We were therefore one day late to final destination at El Delfin Verde campsite near Torroella de Montgri..

Desired outcome: I would like a refund please. I understand that I am entitled to at least 50% refund when ferry is delayed 6 hrs or more.My email address is: [protected]@gmail.comAnnie Cook

L
5:11 am EDT

Brittany Ferries - Theft on the Armorique

Hi,

I travelled with a group of 61 students aboard the Armorique on the 13th of April 2022. We were in a lounge at the front of the boat. We left our backpacks in that lounge while we went for dinner. My (expensive) headphones were stolen as well as money from the students. Do you have any cameras on board which would allow you to see who came pilfering through our bags? Is there anything I can do to recover some of the money that my headphones had cost?

Sincerely,

Laëtitia Graves

Laetitia.[protected]@gmail.com

Desired outcome: I would like to have my headphones reimburses

S
5:30 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

It is with regret I write here, I've sent two emails and they say it could be up to 9 days before answering. I've been on and off the phone for so long it's exhausting. I am unable to amend my existing booking on line to extend my visit which is for an important reason... What do I do?

Read full review of Brittany Ferries

Brittany Ferries - Lost property, lack of action or interest.

We had a ferry that left on 13th October and arrived in Bilbao on Friday 15th October.
Upon leaving, my elderley disabled mother left a brand new coat and fleece in the wardrobe.
I emailed lost property, heard nothing. I went to help desk on board, on the return leg and was dismissed. I was told to go to office in portsmouth.
I went and explained, then waited for 30 minutes. When i went back to desk the girl said the guy in lost property had gone home.
Another girl came and took all the details, she assured me she would pass it on to the lost property department, they will check and get back to me, it may take a week.
To date I have heard nothing, its clear you have no interest in any problems your customers may have. Its also apparent that the cleaning crew in Bilbao are just a bunch of thieves,

Desired outcome: I would like some contact

H
8:33 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

On the 20th of September I was travelling with my wife and our daughter and after being on the road for over 6 hours driving from Portugal we arrived in Santander where we waited about 1 hour until reaching the check-in counter. Myself and my Daughter are Portuguese citizens and my wife is from Macau holding a Macao SAR passport although we all reside in...

C
2:25 pm EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Brittany Ferries - No towels in cabin.

My partner and I booked our ferries through Brittany Ferries with overnight cabins for both trips. We had to pay for larger cabins as the two berth cabins were fully booked so paid the extra. The trip from Caen to Portsmouth was fine. The trip from Portsmouth to Caen was ok until we got to our cabins where there were no towels. We left our own towels in the car and could not get these as it was too late. We were concerned that the cleaning staff will think that we took the towels so I did leave a not saying that there were no towels. My complaint is that we had to pay for a four berth cabin for the two of us and pay extra and there were no towels so imagine if there were four of us. We had to use toilet paper to wipe with. We could not have a shower. Not very nice. This was not a good situation to be in and could do nothing about it.

Desired outcome: An apology and compensation.

S
7:25 am EDT

Brittany Ferries - Club Voyage

I have joined Brittany ferries Club Voyage program and every time I go to book I cant access the discount pricing, I have tried from many computers and the same problem occurs that I cant log in as a member only "guest of a member" which will not give me the full discount!
The customer service is terrible! I have had to phone every time to make my booking and this is always a minimum of 30 minute wait on the phone as an international call as I have been in France.
The customer email is a joke with a up to 10 days to answer an email.
They have the standard wording on the website saying they are very busy and phones call will take a long time and emails up to 10 days to respond.

Desired outcome: I wish my Club voyage to be added to my account so I can benefit form the discount I paid for as well as someone answering the phone in under 40 minutes and a much faster email response, I suggest the employ more customer service staff!

7:50 am EST

Brittany Ferries - club voyage rip-off

I have travelled regularly with Brittany Ferries on their Portsmouth to Spain routes, and having seen the misleading publicity which they propagate decided to join their Club Voyage (CV) scheme for Spain. The cost for this is a Registration fee £105, plus an annual fee of £125 = a total of £230. However, once joining you then find that they have lots of disadvantageous terms (only for the consumer, not for them) and exclusions in the small print of their CV agreement for the Spanish crossings; for example on Spanish crossings you do not get any discount on the cabins; you do not get any discounts on their Economie ferries, and you soon find that the discounts which you do actually get amount to very little, and unless you make somewhere around 8 crossings per annum you do not make any significant overall savings after taking the £230 up-front cost into account. I thus therefore decided not to continue my membership, when I discovered what a rip-off this scheme is.

Before I did cease my CV membership however I had made bookings for 3 more crossings leaving after my CV membership would then cease. As I was still a CV member at the time of booking these crossings I received the discount on those crossings. Suddenly after I had decided not to renew membership of the CV scheme I received a revised invoice from Brittany Ferries for the last two crossings yet to be made, stating that the discount which I had been given on the last two crossings would be retrospectively re-charged to me, although I had made those bookings whilst still a CV member, and was thus entitled to the discount. They now want to make a retrospective additional charge of £111.00.

I then wrote to make a formal complaint because I believed that they were contravening the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts legislation of both the UK and of the EU. The correspondence dragged on and on and I eventually contacted their John Napton (director UK & Ireland) who claimed that this retrospective surcharge was not a contravention of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts legislation of both the UK and of the EU; but that they assumed in good faith that a customer would renew their CV membership. I argued that this was nonsense because the term in their contract which they were attempting to rely upon was to their advantage only, not to a customer, and that it had not been negotiated with me individually prior to the contract, but instead had been hidden in small print.

They have refused to negotiate any further and it seems that the only option a consumer has is to take them to court for contravention of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts legislation of both the UK and of the EU.

The situation is made more farcical by the fact that on the last return crossing which I made, although I had booked this whilst still a CV member, the return crossing was made after my CV membership had ceased, and they did not attempt to make any retrospective surcharge for that. They are only attempting to make a retrospective surcharge for the next return crossing which I booked whilst still a CV member.

I would warn any other customers considering Club Voyage membership with Brittany Ferries to read all of the small print very carefully before joining, and you will find (as I did the hard way) that this scheme is a rip-off and not worth wasting your money on for Spanish crossings.

1 comment
M
Jun 29, 2022 12:30 pm EDT

I have suffered a similar effect. I was told THE DAY BEFORE TRAVELLING that I would be getting charged a further £123.40 for my trip or could renew membership at the cost of £120! My wife refused to travel if this charge was imposed and so I paid and travelled alone. Steps are in place to seek a refund but Brittany Ferries are refusing. Now a major issue is that Brittany Ferries actually cancelled my previous trip; this was my replacement trip. It's disgusting and immoral.

7:40 am EST

J
6:58 am EST

Brittany Ferries - Beware

Writing from Insight Trans logistics. My company uses boats all of the time and now for 4 weekends on the run the Brittany Ferries boat has not sailed leaving my customers unhappy and the drivers having to find alternative methods of travel. why is it that the p&o ferry could sail using the same route but your boat was cancelled? This is causing me a lot of money to have to sent my drivers other ways to reach spain. We are letting lloyal customers down and my sales are down in November/December due to these being cancelled!

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE TAKE THE TIME TO LOOK IN TO THIS OR WE WILL HAVE NO ALTERNATIVE THEN TO GO ACROSS TO P&O FERRIES AND GIVE THEM OUR MONEY INSTEAD.

2 comments
Jan 13, 2019 7:53 am EST

Sorry: my previous comment should have read "They are a pathetic company run by amateurs."

Jan 13, 2019 7:52 am EST

You are a pathetic company clearly run by amateurs.

Brittany Ferries contacts

Phone number

01752 648000

Most discussed Brittany Ferries complaints

club voyage rip-off
(opinions to this review)