Booking.comhotel booking

L

My complaint is a general issue involving several incidents that happened via Booking.com. I have been using their services for years, but lately, things have become less than ideal...

When you reserve, you get a list of amenities: free breakfast, free cancelation, airport transfer, swimming pool... When you get there, the swimming pool has been empty for a while, the breakfast is not included in the price of the night, the hotel does not do airport transfers, but will get you a taxi for a minimal fee ($25...) And you try to cancel (2 months in advance!) and you are told you got a really good deal, so you can't cancel...

This is "bait and switch"! The hotel says they warned you (really? when??) and Booking.com tells you this is between you and the hotel.

Do yourself a favour: stay away from Booking.com, deal with the hotel directly, and don't give your credit card number before you are certain of what services you are securing!

• Ri
    Rina Tan Jul 25, 2019

I should have checked up before using Booking.com! They have spoilt my holiday in London recently! I made a booking in early March 2019 for a apartment in Central London (Chinatown) for 2 nights from 14th to 16th July 2019. My sister also made another reservation for the same apartment for another 2 nights from 18th to 20th July 2019. Full payments were made. We arrived in London outside the arranged apartment and received no answer when knocking on the door. We were told, after a call to the apartment, that our booking was CANCELLED because it was OVER-BOOKED!! There was absolutely no notice at all from Booking.com prior to our arrival there. We called Booking.com who seemingly didn't even know about the overbooking. Under the rain, and with 6 adults (luckily 2 had not arrived) and 6 big suitcases, we have to scramble to get another accommodation. Out of no choice, we accepted an alternative accommodation from Booking.com claiming that it was "similar" in facilities and price! In our haste and unfavourable weather condition, we took 2 taxis to the place according to the link given by Booking.com. What more could have gone wrong: the link given was a wrong address!! Again, with another 2 taxis, we finally arrived at the correct place. The locality of the alternative apartment was quite a distance from the Central London that we booked originally. Also, the price was pricier. Our first day at London was totally ruined! My sister's booking from 18th to 20th July was also CANCELLED and she asked for a refund. What is more disgusting is that Booking.com's email to my sister (after she confronted them on the cancellation due to overbooking) is worded in such a way that it was my sister who asked for the cancellation and they are cancelling it with "no charge"!
    Booking.com made no apologies nor being proactive on refunding me for the difference in the pricier accommodation! Upon my return home, I have been writing to them giving them details and seeking refund for the difference in accommodation as well as compensation for the taxi fares and telephone charges incurred. They were evasive in their reply. I will keep chasing for the compensation not to mention that a value can't be placed on the stress and time wasted during the period.
    I hope travellers will be more cautious in future when using Booking.com.