Complaints & Reviews

unfair fees

I was also charged overdraft fees on money that should have been credited to my account. I have been with this bank for 10years. Have never had a problem until this past week. I have always deposited my payroll check on Sat. morning and it was credited on Mon. night. This past week I did the same t hing. I checked my balance on Thurs. morning and had a $-411 in my account. I went straight to the bank to see what the problem was. The girl at the bank told us that they had changed their policy on check deposits and they had notified all their customers. I never received any notice. They charged me $350 in overdraft charges the first day, $105 the second day, $140 the third. By that time my direct deposit showed up on my online statement. I also deposited some cash to cover any outstanding debits. I called the phone 24 after leaving the bank and had a $78.00 balance. That should have been sufficient to cover anything that was still out. The next morning I checked my balance again and it was $43.00 with another overdraft fee of $35.00. How can they charge you a overdraft fee if there is a positive balance in your account? I have had it with this bank. They stole $700 of my hard earned money. I wouldn't encourage anyone to use this bank. I have warned everyone of my friends that use this bank.

• Ta
    Tamatha Mar 31, 2008

• Ke
    Kevin Walker Jul 08, 2008

After getting charged over $800 in overdraft fees for items that had "posted" to my account due to created accounting practices, I chose to close my account. My employers bank paid BB&T on a Friday night at midnight. At 9am on Monday, I went to the branch to withdraw all of my money and close my account. I was told the money would not be available until 2pm that day.

I'd rather work with money orders. In the long run it is cheaper, and no large corporation will be able to use my money as if it belongs to them.

• Da
    DASIYOSSER Aug 22, 2008

THIS IA PLOY TO GET MORE FEES, THAT REQUIRE NO WORK, THEY
    WILL CLAIM YOU SIGNED THE FINE PRINT AND IF YOU HAVE 3 OR 4 OF THESE CHARGES THEY WILL ONLY GIVE BACK ONE BACK, THIS IS
    HOW THEY ARE MAKING MONEY IN THIS ENVIRONMENT.

I WAS SHOWN A MEMO FROM A REGIONAL PRESIDENT STATING THE ABOVE

• Me
    mellowde Oct 15, 2008

I myself got even with BB&T. I purchased a home from them that they couldn't sell because of the current housing climate and I was able to get the home for less than half it's appraised value (real appraised value). I then put it up for sale. I had to sit on it for 16 months but was finally able to sell if for tens of thousands more than I paid. So BB&T can be your friend if you know how to use them. I'd advise anyone who uses any bank to make sure their account is accessible on-line (computer) so you can actually check the current balance at any given time and before you write checks. That way you are covered. The account balance they display on their web site will always be the actual amount available to you. I'd say another good practice is to keep a good checkbook journal and to go to it right now and deduct several hundred dollars without making either a payment or withdrawal so you're always several hundred dollars ahead. If you cannot afford this, you probably shouldn't have a bank account to begin with. These institutions are not in business so you can kite checks when you're short of money. Discipline is the key to success in money. Every comment I've read involved those who were very sloppy with the chore of handling their money.

ANDREA Oct 17, 2008

CAN WE SUE THEM...THEY CHARGED ME 380.00 FOR 70.00 WORTH OF TRANSACTIONS..THEN THEY POST DEBITS BEFORE CREDITS...CONTACT ME IF WE CAN FILE A CIVIL LAWSUIT AGAINST THEM AT [email protected]

Frank and Crystal Stocks Oct 18, 2008

We TOTALLLYYYY agree with all the above. We too have been jipped of alot of money from BB&T. I have banked with BB&T for over 10 years and we started noticing a problem about a year and a half ago. At first we thought it was an oversight on our part and the second time we started getting concerned and wondering what they were doing. It was hard to know how much money you actually had in the bank, even in keeping good records. Their totals were always different from our own. Well, recently we thought we would try something just to see what they were up to. We decided to leave a small amount of money in the account and not use the account for a period of one week. Nothing deposited, nothing withdrawn. We used cash on all of our purchases. To our surprise, with nothing going in or coming out of the account, we were suddenly overdrawn 681 dollars. So tell me somethings not fishy!!! My husband went to the bank on several occassions to speak with a manager and never was able to speak with one. Just the other day he spoke with one of the employees on the 800 teller line and she didn't know how to answer any of his questions and referred him to one of the branch managers. She was not very helpful and didn't seem to want to help answer any questions until he mentioned contacting the attorney generals office, then she seemed concerned and started asking him questions and wanting to try and help him. He told her, sorry I don't know how to answer your questions then hung up with her. Since then, he has contacted the attorney generals office and told the gentleman he spoke with of these websites and we need more people to call and complain. That man told him he was going to go home that night and look at the sites. Oh, before I get off of here, we switched banks and haven't had a lick of trouble, our balance is true and direct deposits are available just as we were told when we opened the account. We went shopping today and it showed on our account by the time we got home. How AWSOME is that!!! A bank that doesn't rip you off and doesn't lie to you.

• My
    MYA Oct 30, 2008

Let me know if we can sue them too b/c I just got into it with a BBT associate about it! It seems that we can cash our check and then turn around to deposit it so it will reflect on the same day deposit but if we deposit a check it will be the next day before it gets credited! How stupid is that??????? They charged me over $1000 in overdraft fees already because of this stupid thing. Let me know anything!!!

• El
    eleda Apr 01, 2009

I have had the same experience. I've written complaint letters, spoken to many employees in person, and the best answer I've gotten is "If you don't work in a bank, it can be difficult to understand"...
    I decided to close the account and open one at the local credit union. I highly recommend this tactic, since the bank currently spends more money lobbying to limit credit unions than they do on customer service!

bad customer service! interest rip offs!

Following many calls to customer service, these people, just can't get it right, which means this practice is probably a part of their "corporate plan".

I have an auto loan that auto-deducts out of my checking account monthly, and I thought I'd like to make additional principal payments after my regular payment to finish the loan off early. I paid $75 additional, and when I got the monthly printed statement, these guys took $53.35 in interest and $21.65 on the principal. Needless to say I freaked out, and immediately called in to have it fixed.

I got many different stories, from customer service from..."you can't do that", to, the final answer " Oh, yea this we can easily correct". Well, here it is months later and still not fixed (they are still not putting the entire payment to principal), and I get the feeling they believe we are all ignorant, illiterate, and stupid that we'll never find this, let alone get perturbed enough to lodge this complaint.

I have had many loans and dealings with banks, but I've never seen anything quite as bad as these people, so if your considering BB&T, save yourself some aggravation, and avoid this bank.

Monday I will again start calling to have this situation rectified, and go through it all one more time.

FROGZLEG Nov 08, 2008

BB&T IS A DISGRACE! IN MOST AREAS THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE CUSTOMER. THE BRANCH MANAGER CAN BE THE PROBLEM IN MOST BANKS. THEY ARE OF NO USE OTHER THAN STRUTTING AROUND DOING NOTHING. THE TELLERS ARE WORKING ALL JOBS BECAUSE OF EMPLOYEE CUT BACKS. I CALLED AND THE LADY SAID SHE HAD TO GET BACK TO THE WINDOW. I AM DISABLED AND THEY DO NOT HAVE ANY ENTRY FOR DISABLED PEOPLE AT THE GRAHAM BRANCH. THEY OWN THE GOVERNMENT AND HAVE PRIVLEDGES FEW OF US HAVE. PEOPLE WITH LARGE AMOUNTS OF MONEY KNOW WHO TO CALL AND THEY ARE HELPED IMMEDIATELY. MOST CUSTOMERS GET NO HELP AND MUST MAKE PHONE CALLS AND PLEAD!

• Br
    brenda fassett Nov 26, 2008

I have been with this bank 4 years, I have never been treated so bad in the past 6 months, it seems like this bank is, I dont even have the words to say about this bank, I went to atm machine right beside bank, It didnt even give me my money, I have been though hell with this bank, it was like so what if it took your money, I hate this bank

• Fl
    floridaautoloan Jan 07, 2011

It will cost me more to pay off the loan than to finish paying the last 26 months! They won't answer the question "Why?" I asked how much the interest would be each month and they said there was no way of calculated that. She was very guarded and would give no information when I asked "My interest is$98 this month - what will it be in the future?" THe only response was "I cannot answer that question." The representative was completely rude and obviously trained to not answer questions!!

ripping customers off!

BB&T has been systematically ripping off its customers by posting debits first, then posting credits or...

excessive charges and fees

BB&T is robbing its customers of their hard earned money. I am a fairly new BB&T. When I begin my accounts, I...

rudeness by employees

I'm a frequent customer at this bank. The company i work for also has its account here. They prefer we use this location. For the past eight years i have made several trips a week to this location. It was always a very friendly atmosphere. The last three weeks when i go through the drive - thru their are two ladies angela collins and tiffany. They are very rude. They ignore me, they are treating me like i'm an inconvenience. They finish conversations with each other before opening the drawer. This has happened several times. At first i thought maybe they were having a bad day but i feel that there just rude. I had started coming in but sometimes it's not convenient. I hope this will not be ignored, i'm really considering going somewhere else. I'm always friendly and expect to be treated the same.

• Al
    AL JAMES Jan 18, 2010

tIFFANY CLAIMS IT IS ALL YOUR FAULT, , , AND YOU ARE STUPID

• Ro
    rotfl Jun 14, 2011

YOU THAT THINK THE EMPLOYEES AT BB&T ARE SO NICE...LISTEN UP! WE HAVE DONE BUSINESS WITH BB&T FOR OVER 20 YEARS. WE RECEIVED A LETTER FROM BB&T INFORMING US THAT THEY WERE GOING TO CANCEL OUR LIFE INSURANCE ON BOTH OF US FOR OUR HOME MORTGAGE LOAN. THEY TOLD IN THE LETTER THAT IF WE HAD ANY QUESTIONS TO COME IN AND TALK TO THE MORTGAGE LOAN OFFICER AT OUR BRANCH BANK. OK...THIS IS WHAT SHE TOLD, "YOU OWN A MOBILE HOME AND YOU CAN'T GET A LOAN ANYWHERE ELSE AND WE CAN'T GIVE YOU A NEW LOAN" WE ARE GOING TO CANCEL EVERY LIFE INSURANCE ON ALL HOME MORTGAGES. "IF YOU WANT TO PAY YOUR OLD LOAN OFF YOU CAN SELL YOUR CAR". I RECEIVED A SUM OF MONEY FROM AN INHERITANCE AND I PURCHASED A VAN AND OUR HOME MORTGAGE PAYMENTS WERE BEING MADE ON TIME AND THERE WAS NO REASON FOR HER TO TELL ME WHAT WE LIVED IN AND WHAT I COULD SELL TO PAY OFF OUR HOME. IT MAY NOT BE A BRICK HOME, BUT EVERY TIME ANYONE TURNS ON THE NEWS, A BRICK HOME IS BURNING TO THE GROUND AND IF THAT IS NOT ENOUGH...A TORNADO, HURRICANE, ETC. WILL TAKE DOWN A BRICK HOME JUST LIKE ANY OTHER DWELLING AND BUSINESS, INCLUDING BANKS.

predatory banking practices

I am a disabled veteran, and since 5/21/2007, bb&t has raped me for over $987.00 in nsf fees, when I have had a positive balance, and while they were sitting on cash deposits, and now we are in survival mode trying to stop their feeding frenzy... I am writing letters as we speak to the attorneys general of florida, georgia and north carolina, as well as the fdic to complain about their predatory business practices.

If there is a way to band together and stop them, then i'm in, but I doubt we will ever be able to stop them, until a congressman or senator is raped by them... Then watch how fast they straighten up...

If any of you figure it out, let me know!!

P. S. I am told that 6 cases warrants a class-action lawsuit, is anyone interested?

Email me at: [protected]@yahoo.com

• Aj
    AJ Valentine Mar 12, 2008

I agree with you. We neeed to start a grass roots movement against the banks o f this country to try and bring these problems to the attention of our government. If that doesn't help, we need to get the citizens of this great country involved in a national boycott of the banks. Let's all open accounts at the credit unions!!

Frank and Crystal Stocks Oct 18, 2008

Count us in!!!

• Me
    melissa89509 Dec 18, 2008

I had the same issue. They put a 3 day hold on a check that was drawn off of their own branch, after i was told it would be available immediately. I had a recurring charge go pending while the check was there. I got the NSF fee the same day the pending charge posted...but the deposit had already gone through??? something is wrong...how can you charge a NON-SUFFICIENT FUNDS fee when its at your won discretion to hold the funds!

Cheryl Dorsey Jan 12, 2017

We have been working overseas and our pay has been deposited into a foreign account, therefore our business account went into a dormant status without notifying us. Since we assumed we still had access to our money, this December we transferred 13K from our other BBT account to this supposed dormant account and wrote a check from it for the IRS as not to get penalties for underpayment. We found out that the check to the IRS was denied. We have looked at the BBT Commercial bank agreement and it does not cover this. My Question is if the definition of a dormant account is one without a transaction, the transfer was indeed an allowed transaction. I was told that it was a withdrawal that was needed by the branch, but deposits were accepted. Furthermore in talking with the bank employees "complaint department" and branch both said that we would have to go in to branch to change this and get our account restored and the check to the IRS resent. We are overseas and unable to do so and now we are without the funds in our other account to pay the IRS. I think this is illegal any thoughts or lawyers out there that would provide us information?

they will flat ruin you!

I have had access to my direct-deposited funds on the same day, but the online banking is a big problem. It...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices