Complaints & Reviews

extortion - 1and1 unfair business practice

I'd like to file a class action lawsuit against this company. Anyone with me? 1and1 is ruining...

billing practices

1 and 1 Internet cut off my e- mail in tax season. When I called, they said my credit card had expired. They would not take the new credit card information over the telephone. I needed my e-mails, they said, my only recourse was to mail in information to have my e-mail unlocked. I did not have time for all that and needed my e-mail service, cancelled the account. Then several months later I receive a collection agency letter because I have not paid them for the service I could not use. I called again, this time they told me to fax a cancellation which I did. I was never contacted about the credit card or that I owed them money. Still they say I owe the money for an e-mail service I could not use.

Jeannie Hicks

fraudulent business practices

I would like to bring attention to the unfair business practices of a Chesterbrook based internet company...

false charges

Falsely billed for charges on closing the account rather than renewing it. Turned over to nco financial 2 months after closing the account and believing that all fees had been cancelled when I cancelled the account. Now an 8.99 charge from 1and1 β€” - which I specifically asked them if there were any other charges I needed to take care of β€” - is being added to by a 18.95 charge for collection.

They lied to me, and now they are trying to hijack my credit score. They need to go down.

Looking into contacting the us attorneys office. This is ridiculous.

• Cl
    ClassActionAgainst1and1 Oct 09, 2009

I'd like to file a class action lawsuit against this company. Anyone with me?

1and1 is ruining people's credit if people let their subscription expire. That's crazy! I have plenty of hosting accounts on the internet, so I am very familiar with hosting policies. When a subscription expires, and your card is expired, your prepay doesn't go through. That then cancels the account. But I guess 1and1 finds that it's profitable to threaten people with a collection agency if they don't prepay for the next term without clicking the 'cancel' button, which is not even available on your control panel!

Anyone else think this is an unfair business practice? I think we should contact the Abbey Spanier law firm and file a class action lawsuit!

fraud marketing

This company never follows through on what they claim. They have a contract manager that is simply a...

illegal business and charges

I registered for a domain with them and paid for a year of registering the domain and I have not received any communication nor I agreed any terms that the domain will be auto-renewed and I need to pay upfront every year for the service. Otherwise, I need to pay $18.95 administrative fee with Debt collectors. In fact it is not a debt collection when NCO financial send me the statement to pay $27.94 for a domain registration worth of $8 and if I failed to pay, it goes to my credit history. I tried to pay via credit card and they said there is another $8 administrative fee for that. I got raged and don't want to pay for the services that 1&1 never gave me nor I agreed ever to pay all these fees to 1&1. They just sent ONE email on saying the credit card on account is expired and never tried to contact me again in any form. The email they sent went into junk folders and there is no way I am aware of that within the time frame they mentioned in that email. This is OUT RAGIOUS and 1&1 is so reluctant to continue the account services for me with the normal prices and they wanted me to pay all these additional fees to continue with them.

If anybody can file a class action law suit or private sue the 1&1, I will be the most happy person on earth to enjoy the news and seeing 1&1 goes out of business. They are illegally doing business and trying to decieve the customers. THIS IS A BIG SCAM BY 1 AND 1 (1&1 internet inc).

If you need any further details, please contact me through my email and I will provide all the details needed if you can act against the stupid and illegal business 1 and 1.

My details are
email: [removed]

• Me
    Melissa L Jul 29, 2009

We also had 1 & 1 for a while. They automatically renewed the service even though we had switched to someone else. We were never sent any bill to pay for the renewal or anything. My husband and I found out that something was wrong when we received a bill in the mail from a collection agency saying we needed to the original renewal fee of $17.95 and also the admin fee of $18.95. We then checked our credit card acct only to see that they were indeed charging us. This was on the 8th of July. My husband called them to find out about getting a refund once the transaction cleared. He was told that that was pretty much impossible because they had sent him multiple emails telling him to pay. He checks his email lots of times during the day but never received anything from them. Both of us are really good about paying bills so this a surprise. He was later told that if he wanted to dispute this that he would have to contact some higher up that lived in Ireland. After that my husband decided to not worry about it and just paid the amount. He knew calling someone else was probably just a waste of time and energy. So the two transactions showed pending on the 8Th, by the 24th, there was only one transaction pending and the date had changed from the 8th to the 24th. Either Monday or Tuesday of this week both transactions were there and cleared. So hopefully we no longer hear from them.

• Ez
    Ezba Aug 18, 2009

Same thing just happened to me. I #$QE% hate 1an1 and their sleazy business practices. This better not have gone on my credit...arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Da
    Darien Red Sox Aug 26, 2009

There money back guarantee means nothing, have been fighting for them for the last 6 months trying to get my money back. They keep on giving me a bunch of made up stuff about why they can not refund my money. If I was wealthy I would higher a lawyer to go after them to get my $7 back to prove a point There whole idea is to rip people off of small amounts so it is not worth it for one person to go after them. I would be happy to pro take in any law suit involving 1and1.

contact email: [email protected]

• Wo
    worldsmile Sep 22, 2009

Price is good for website beginner. I have recommend to so many friends. All my friends and I are doing online business.

But then once you want to cancel it? event I have believed I complete the cancellation, I still got charged, and for TWICE! 2 times fee for 6 months, and late fee, and they turn to NCO financial systems INC.

Here is my experience at 1and1.com:

5 years ago (between 2003 to 2004), I have sign up a domain $2.99/month. Fee charger per 3months. 10 days later, I found it too difficult for me, and I canceled the domain and canceled the package. the remain month fee was refunded.

one year after I signed up a second domain. a few days later I need more tool and I need to upgrade to a better package. it ad "update your package" but I found no way to update, nor a "Update" button.

So I just canceled this domain and cancel the package. and sign up my third domain (ad: 30 days money back guarantee!), this package include many tools that I need for business contacts "Chat room" "Guest book"...etc. Then I found that I could not link the chat room, and I could change the color of text and table color only! all the tools are white background, fix table look, no pic w/ text posting only.

I was so disappointed! I canceled the package in 15 days. its AD with 30 days money back guarantee, do 1and1.com 's guarantee means GUARANTEE? I called for refund, billing service refunded 2 months fee.

Jan 2008. My friend(who I recommended to 1and1.com) told me somewhat ignore those charming but complicated tools, I should upload files through FTP://...

So I come back to 1and1.com from yahoo.com, and signed up the 4th domain in 1and1.com. this was a 6 months per charge time. $23.94/6 months.
    2 months after that, one of my friend with better website skill he asked a few friends and I for joining together, so he could upgrade to better package and less fee.

I canceled my domain at March 2008. I got second charge at 07/2008, I do the package cancellation step after I saw the charge fee at my credit card statement.
    1st step "cancellation successfully" at cancel.1and1.com.
    2nd step copied the number from confirmation email, paste at cancel.1and1.com. > "Cancellation Complete"

Jan 2009, $23.94 the 3rd charge on my credit card statement. I called 1and1.com billing. billing service said I did not complete my cancellation. So I repeated the cancellation step carefully.
    1st step: "cancellation successfully" at cancel.1and1.com.
    2nd step: at the 3rd day after step one, I copied the number from confirmation email, paste at cancel.1and1.com. > "Cancellation Complete"

Today 9/21/2009, I received 2 letter from NCO financial systems INC. $23.94 fee and $18.95 late fee (my credit card info expired, so the charge declined).

I am filling BBB.org for 1and1.com complaint!

am I the only one?

• Gu
    guest777 Nov 26, 2009

those people are big time crooks...
    I've chosen for a trial (30 days free of charge) day Website Builder Plus. After 2 weeks I tried cancel it myself, it was impossible to do it on my own... so I contacted them via email. They instructed me to call them (every call is over 10 min with every simple things, call center is in Philipines and their 'English' is almost impossible to understand, and it's over 2 pounds for every single call; not mobile though!)
    I called them and gentleman confirmed cancellation, said I won't be charged. I asked for a confirmation email, he promised to do so, and I never got it. Week later those [email protected]@@@@s sent me an invoice for over 17 pounds !!! I am in the middle of struggle, but be aware !

1 and 1 is a phony company and their practices are unlawful.
    keep away of them

www.1and1.com business practices

www.1and1.com has lots of complaints about their insane billing practices, not only on this complaint board but on the internet. Simply google "1and1". However, their power to run roughshod over customers stems from implicit agreement with their terms and conditions, available at this address:

This contract, which you implicitly agree when you sign up with them, gives them complete power and you none – except not to do business with them.

In my experience with 1and1, they do exactly what they say they will in these contract clauses. So BUYER BEWARE. They also say that email is the only method they use to contact you and that their records of email contact are final. If they say they sent you a notice via email, you cannot challenge the fact that you did not receive it. If your monthly automatic credit card debit is not processed by their system for any reason and you do not correct this immediately, they turn you over to a collection agency. The contract you have agreed to says that you agree to pay all collection fees. Once turned over to the collection agency (NCO is the one they use), 1and1 will not discuss billing, payment, etc. They lock your account so that you cannot use it and simply tell you to contact NCO. If you do not contact NCO, NCO will report you to credit reporting agencies and ruin your credit. Yes, even a $15 collection item on your credit report can reduce your credit score 75 points!!

If you are considering using 1and1 or are an existing customer and have not read the agreement, you should. You cannot sign up for their services without implicitly agreeing to the contract whether you have read it or not. It gives them complete power, even to the extent that they don't have to deliver a service to you (covered in clauses 5 & 6 shown below). They don't promise to deliver anything specific. If they don't deliver, according to their contact you can do nothing except stop using them (which would be a pretty sane thing to do starting right now). Take them at their word. When you sign up, you agree that they don't have to deliver anything to you in exchange for your payments.

5. NO WARRANTIES BY 1&1.
THE 1&1 SERVICES AND 1&1 SOFTWARE ARE PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. YOU EXPRESSLY AGREE THAT THE USE OF THE 1&1 SERVICES IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. 1&1 DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE 1&1SERVICES WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR FREE, NOR DOES 1&1MAKE ANY WARRANTY AS TO ANY RESULTS THAT MAY BE OBTAINED BY USE OF THE 1&1SERVICES. NO WARRANTY IS MADE BY 1&1 REGARDING ANY INFORMATION, SERVICES OR PRODUCTS PROVIDED THROUGH OR IN CONNECTION WITH THIS AGREEMENT, AND 1&1 HEREBY EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION: (1) ANY WARRANTIES AS TO THE AVAILABILITY, QUALITY, QUANTITY, OR CONTENT OF SERVICES OR GOODS PROVIDED TO YOU HEREUNDER, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO YOUR SERVICES AND YOUR WEB SITE; AND (2) ANY WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. 1&1 DOES NOT GUARANTEE THAT ANY CONTENT, INFORMATION, SOFTWARE OR OTHER MATERIAL ACCESSIBLE THROUGH THE 1&1 SERVICES WILL BE FREE OF VIRUSES, "WORMS", "TROJAN HORSES", OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS. YOU AGREE AND ACKNOWLEDGE THAT NO REPRESENTATIONS OF ANY KIND HAVE BEEN MADE TO YOU REGARDING THE POTENTIAL VOLUME OF PATRONAGE OF YOUR WEB SITE OR ANY OTHER PERSON'S OR ENTITY'S WEB SITE OR WEB PAGE.

6. 1&1'S LIMITED LIABILITY.
YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY HEREUNDER SHALL BE FOR YOU TO DISCONTINUE YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE AND TERMINATE THIS AGREEMENT. IN NO CASE SHALL 1&1, ITS DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, AFFILIATES, AGENTS OR CONTRACTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, EXEMPLARY, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING FROM YOUR USE OF OR OTHERWISE RELATING TO THE 1&1 SERVICES. SOME COUNTRIES, STATES OR JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR THE LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES. IN SUCH COUNTRIES, STATES OR JURISDICTIONS, 1&1'S LIABILITY SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY SET FORTH IN ANY SEPARATE SOFTWARE LICENSE OR IN THIS AGREEMENT, 1&1 DOES NOT ENDORSE, WARRANT OR GUARANTEE ANY THIRD-PARTY PRODUCT OR SERVICE OFFERED OR OTHERWISE ACCESSED USING THE 1&1 SERVICES, AND 1&1 WILL NOT BE A PARTY TO OR IN ANY WAY BE RESPONSIBLE FOR MONITORING ANY TRANSACTION BETWEEN YOU AND ANY THIRD PARTIES. YOU HEREBY RELEASE 1&1 FROM ANY AND ALL OBLIGATIONS, LIABILITY AND CLAIMS IN EXCESS OF THESE LIABILITY LIMITATIONS. THE TOTAL LIABILITY OF 1&1 FOR BREACH OF WARRANTY ARISING OUT OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR STRICT LIABILITY IN TORT, OR ANY OTHER CLAIM RELATING TO THIS AGREEMENT SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE TOTAL SERVICE FEES PAID BY YOU TO 1&1 IN THE SIX MONTHS PRECEDING SUCH ALLEGED BREACH, BUT IN NO EVENT TO EXCEED $150, 000.

Even more unbelievable, and something that puts you at unknown risk for dealing with them is clause 9 in which you agree to the costs of defending them against unknown future actions taken by anyone against them. Read it for yourself. Have your lawyer read. Note that is says they will choose a lawyer and YOU will pay to defend them.

9. YOUR INDEMNIFICATION OF 1&1.
You agree that you shall fully defend and indemnify 1&1, including its officers, directors, owners, managing agents, attorneys, shareholders, related entities, heirs, and assigns, from any and all claims, demands, actions, suits, losses, liabilities, damages, injuries, fines penalties, costs and expenses, attorneys' fees, arbitration fees, mediation fees, expert expenses, and all other consequences of every kind, directly or indirectly resulting from any and all failure(s) of you or your agent(s) to fully comply with all duties, obligations and other provisions set forth in this Agreement, including, but not limited to, your warranties set forth in Section 7 or your violation of a third party's intellectual property rights. You further agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless 1&1, including its officers, directors, owners, managing agents, attorneys, shareholders, related entities, heirs, and assigns, from and against any and all claims, demands, actions, suits, loses, liabilities, damages, injuries, fines, penalties, costs and expenses, including, without limitation, reasonable attorneys' fees, arising out of any property damage or recoverable economic loss incurred by a third party, to the extent such damage or loss is caused by any act or omission of you or your agents in connection with the performance of this Agreement. You agree that 1&1 shall have the right to participate in the defense of any such claim through counsel of its own choosing at your expense.

And then there are fees. See the clauses below:

3. FEES
3.1.
Certain 1&1 Services are subject to set-up, service, and domain service fees, pursuant to the Fee Schedule, and by registering for such 1&1 Services you authorize 1&1 to debit your Payment Account for any and all such fees.

3.2.
The Fee is due monthly, in advance of the provision of services, not later than the first of that month. In the event that 1&1 determines that the services of a collection agency are necessary or appropriate to collect amounts due under this paragraph, which determination shall be made in 1&1's sole and unfettered discretion, any and all collection agency fees and other costs of collection shall be added to any amounts due under this provision. [Most complaints I have seen on the internet have to do with 1and1's heavy handed and quite liberal use of a brutal collection agency called NCO and NCO's liberal reporting of 1and1 debts to credit reporting agencies as a collection matter. This instantly ruins your credit.]

3.3.
All Fees must be paid in United States Dollars in advance of the provision of services. 1&1 will charge the monthly fee and any additional fees to the Payment Account unless specifically provided otherwise. You also agree that 1&1 may automatically debit your Payment Account, without further authorization from you, for any renewal term, additional services, and any fees or expenses applicable to Your Services or Your Website, including but not limited to fees for excessive bandwidth use or other surcharges for services in excess of those included within Your Services or Your Web Site. If payment in full is not received by 1&1 from the provider of your Payment Account or its agents, you agree to pay all amounts due from you for Your Services upon demand by 1&1.

3.4.
1&1 may offer subsequent promotional rates or special offers, the terms of which may or may not be more favorable than the terms and conditions for Your Services. Any such promotions or modifications shall not effect your obligations under this Agreement. Promotional fees may be subject to additional terms and conditions which, to the extent they conflict with the terms of this Agreement, shall govern. Promotional fees and special offers may not be combined.

3.7.
You shall pay all costs of collection, including reasonable attorney's fees and costs, in the event any invoice requires collection efforts. All accounts referred to a collection agency shall be subject to an additional fee of $18.95, which must be paid in full before the account is reactivated.

BUYING BE WARE!!!

Joe The Connector Kennedy Sep 30, 2009

1and1.com has arbitrarily taken down my database and websites - I am a fully paying customer who has been a loyal customer for over 5 years - and have over 65 domains registered with them.

• Lo
    long_live_USA Feb 02, 2010

there is no need to repeat the pain and anguish others have already expressed for this company. so here is my prayer to 'the Lord'.

please send 1and1 out of business. whatever 1and1 has snatched/looted from people, take it back from them. may the owners of 1and1 go bankrupt and die as popper.

O lord save the weak.

Chudson Jul 16, 2013

For your sanity and business future NEVER USE 1 AND 1.
    They will not help customers sort out disputes and they just lock web sites with NO warning.

insane financial practices

www.1and1.com does not have people working for them, only robots. They don't care about customer service or in pleasing or retaining customers. To show their distain for customer complaints, they thumb their noses at complaints by advertising on this website!! Read their contract carefully before you buy. Their contract essentially makes them god and you nothing. It says they can do anything at any time and you can't do anything about it. Even though you always pay in advanced via credit card automatic debit, it says that if your credit card is declined for any reason (mine was declined because a new valid through date kicked in) that they can continue to bill you and if you don't pay they will turn you over to a collection agency. It says that you agree to pay all collection costs and that you cannot sue them. Read it!! I didn't. When I did, I found it to be the most outrageous contract I have ever read. By agreeing to it you give away any right to do anything to 1and1 except to disconnect from them, to complain on boards like this and encourage others not to do business with them. Everything is in their contract which I imagine most people don't bother to read. It is very long. In it they tell you that if your credit card is denied for any reason and you don't pay that they will turn you over to a collection agency. Even though you pay in advance they continue "service" but lock your account and bill you rather than closing your account. What they don't tell you is that if you don't pay their collection agency fast, the collection agency (NCO -- another rotten outfit) will report you to credit bureaus. 1and1 disavows any knowledge of NCO's activities and simply says that you have to deal with NCO. They apparently don't care about complaints, lost customers, etc. because their business is based on signing up new customers while losing old customers. Yes, it's a totally insane business model, but it apparently is making someone some money for the moment. Look for a company with more care for it customers.

• Da
    Darien Red Sox Sep 15, 2009

Even though they say you can't sue them in most states (I don't know about PA where they are based) they have no right to put that in there contract but will do it to try to fool people so people won't bather trying to sue them.

• Cl
    ClassActionAgainst1and1 Oct 09, 2009

I'd like to file a class action lawsuit against this company. Anyone with me?

• Jd
    jdelilah Oct 16, 2009

1&1 is ruining people's credit. After my credit card had a change...they attempted to charge me for several domains that I had purchased a year ago and I thought had let expire. Turns out, they update their contract online and anyone who buys services is bound to this contract.

There attempt to get a hold of me to notify me of this change was via a series of emails that went to my spam folder. No calls, no letter, just emails that went to my spam folder. They then sent the $30 charge to collections. Which, according to 1&1 is outlined in their BS online contract that clients are bound to. Unbelievable...what a heartless company. The 1&1 Supervisor that I spoke with seemed to laugh at my suggestion that this was an unfair business practice ("we have over 3M happy customers"). Franky, I am embarrassed to be in a country with folks who run a business this way.

They will continue to get away with this practice unless a class action is filed against them... The marketing arm of their organization is too strong. It is a shame. Hopefully folks will look at this before buying and understand what they are getting themselves into.

• He
    Hersh Feb 23, 2010

Is there anyway to make them take that off of your credit report? I also cancelled my service and they continued to bill me. after numerous calls my credit card finally expired and I didnt update it.. So they got no more money.. then they also sent a $30 bill to colections (must be thier standard number) and it just hit my credit report.. This is a bunch of BS... When I spoke to them once it hit collections, I explained to them that the site had been disabled for a long time (3 or 4 months) so I assumed that they FINALLY colsed it like I had requested.. and they said No.. we just froze it. WHAT A CROCK...

chrisstar4 Apr 04, 2010

the same happened to me. but instead of complaining we should sue them

• Jd
    jdrai May 04, 2010

Same problem for me.

bad service

In May of 2017 1&1 somehow ended up changing the critical permissions on a
number of files and directories within my web space. All files in my
webspace reverted to basic read only permssions. This caused mission
critical database applications to malfunction. I contacted 1&1 after being
made aware of the problem within roughly 6 hours of the problem occurring.
It then took them 4 days to be able to let me change the critical
permissions back. All in all I figure I lost a few customers, a few
thousand website visits, 12 hours of my personal time, much of it on hold, a
pile of their support staff time, and all I got in return were apologies
and an offer to credit my account for one month of hosting. I suffered all
this loss over not being able to communicate directly with an administrator
that could patch my problem within 5 to 10 minutes. I was faced with call
centre hell, no solutions, and no resolutions. I was told to e-mail
automatons and robots to get my solution and despite the time spent there
was no resolution. I may be faced with very similar problems in the future
because I know that anyone at 1&1 Internet Ltd that could fix my problem has
not even heard my complaint, despite me spending 12 hours of my own time to
explain it and the simple solution to the problem I faced. From my
perspective 1&1 Internet Ltd. has zero company support for it's customers
when they are at fault for a problem. All promises of service have been
proved false. This company does not deserve anyones business, despite their
size.

Chaks Dec 15, 2009

I have use several web hosting sites over the years with mixed reviews but one & one really takes the cake when it comes to the poorest quality of customer service.

Why did I pick them? I fell for the very large ad campaign. Seeing them in every tech magazine I started to think they would be a good choice. I, like many others was fooled. The first time I had to use the tech support I was on the phone for 2 hrs trying to get a simple domain transfer. When it was finally over my website was down for nearly 3 weeks and no one could tell me why. In the end it was finally fixed but only after many hours on the phone. I was promised a credit for the lost time and I never received it. I called once about the credit but that was another wasted hour!

If you are building a simple website and aren't worried about losing money, or don't think you will need any help, use them (at great risk!). But if you are doing more complex stuff that you might need help I recommend you avoid one and one internet at all costs! Pay the extra money to use another service it's worth it.

• Ha
    hatescammers1&1 Jun 08, 2012

I have posted my own complaint about this company, and I keep finding more people having similar and different issues with them. They want closing down. They now advertise on TV over here in UK.

Machineco Mar 26, 2014

Homer:
    First notify 1&1 (corporate legal name) that you WILL be charging for all YOUR time, as well as costs and interest
    until THEIR errors are straightened out- by them! Do it by registered mail, as well.
    Also get the evidence you need from THEM- by ensuring you tell THEM your call is being recorded
    "for quality and training purposes only" of course and do so. record the conversations with any recorder
    even a smartphone on "voice notes" and call 1&1 using another speaker phone.
    Record all their promises, and note the lapses in performance afterwards.
    Send details of same in letters for each incident, back to them, with your mounting time billings.

Then after enough BS, as they have "been notified" start adding up your billable hours
    and costs, sufficiently detailed that a prosecutor could easily understand it and do the accounting.
    List the requests, the promises. List the evidence emails from you and them, giving dates;times. .
    Add up more time, and send new bills, along with the latest interest and costs.
    Add all the above to YOUR statement

Finally send a summary accounting bill of your dozens of contacts etc.l over months.
    You 'll have a BIG file... for which THEY should pay YOU.

Give them say, 30 days to pay OR they are deemed in default AND YOU WILL PROSECUTE!

Then (I hope you have it in your jurisdiction)- file a court declaration and demand
    in your local small claims court (by now- a few hundred or thousand bucks demand)
    with all your supporting documents (include transcripts or extracts of the recordings which you can make yourself)
    provided you also make the court and the Defendant copies (CDs) as well.
    With any luck you will make money, AND help the community rid itself of one more Internet scourge!

BTW, ask the court in the conclusions of your demand, for:
    damages + interest, + any other penalties in law + indemnity and costs, both judicial and extra-judicial.
    AND go ahead with the case.!
    I /GUARANTEE this will get better response than 100 people listing their very sad but true
    experiences on this Forum.

Make sure and publish when you get a judgment.
    Find their nearest office in your jurisdiction and EXECUTE the judgment.
    And when and if that happy day arrives, and the Sheriff is seizing goods at their office
    PLEASE make us all a You Tube Video !
    :-)

treacherous fine print

1&1's billing policy is to hold credit card information on file. When payment is not made (For example, if the credit card on file expires) , 1&1 will not stop service like most service companies but will continue service and contract a collection agency for collections. Customers must officially close their accounts to stop service. This is not the standard billing policy consumers expect. While their policies are disclosed in their terms & conditions, 1&1 is clearly using their "fine print" to extract extra fees from customers wishing to close their accounts.

Http://esupport. Fcc.Gov/complaints. Htm

Https://www.Ftccomplaintassistant.Gov/

• Le
    LegendGuy Apr 13, 2009

1&1 Internet is the WORST hosting company I've ever dealt with! Do not do business with this company if you value your time!

Their billing department closes over the weekend and they refuse to help with any issues. If your site goes down for any billing issues, you have to wait until Monday to reach anyone.

No one is empowered to help - all they do is refer you to their complaint department.

They do not call you back, they do not care if they help you or not. Stay away from 1&1 Internet!

• Rg
    rgwhiteusa Jul 22, 2009

I have same problem too, they send to collection agency for 8.99 and 18.95 for Administration fee. I never receive any notice from them about the collection until I received the statments from collection agency(NCO)..

Stay away from 1and1.com. They are suck to do business with.

• Mi
    Michael Thompson22 Dec 29, 2009

Worst. Company. Ever.

You pay for 6 months of service. After that six months they auto-renew without telling you and send you straight to a collection agency - WHICH THEY OWN. That way they can justify charging you an extra $20 "administration fee."

When you dispute they tell you they will try to ruin your credit.

Oh - and you cannot cancel your account online. You have to FAX THEM YOUR CANCELLATION REQUEST.

And they lost mine. Twice.

WORST COMPANY EVER. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH 1&1!

• He
    Herschel Mar 23, 2010

Many of us have had issues with 1&1 Internet. It’s time we got together to do something about it. They usually get away with the small charges because most people pay to make it go away (and 1&1 is extremely persisent over a couple dollars).

I’ve started a facebook group to start gathering people together to share stories and tactics to resolve any alleged wrongdoings:

• Pr
    Pristine Jun 22, 2010

Didnt get notified of my renewed credit card. I was only notified by nco financial that it was sent to collections. So i ended up paying and cancelling it and know i just recieved another bill from 1 and 1in the mail saying that its going to collections.

rip off artists

1and1.com recently build me $143 for web names I no longer want to use. They sent the bill the day after the deadline for cancellation. I never received any e-mail in advance of that day advising me of the bill amount or the renewal deadline.

I called them the day I got an e-mail and told them that I didn't want the domain names any more. Their customer service rep told me that I could cancel and the bill would be credited. Lo and behold. I canceled my domain names with no problem, and then got billed anyway. Since then the company has stonewalled me a dozen different ways and refuse to refund my money.

Any company who had real customer service would have immediately credited my account. These guys are basically incompetent, unless you want to count outright thievery as competence. I would advise that no one ever use them for any form of web hosting or domain name purchase whatsoever. There have to be better companies out there.

joelee Mar 07, 2012

SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM 1AND1, COM IS A SCAM THEY ARE A COMPLETE RIPP OFF DO NOT HOST WITH THEM THEY WILL SCAM YOU TO THE MOON

BAD HOSTING COMPANY 1AND1.COM DO NOT HOST WITH THEM

THIS IS THE WORST HOSTING COMPANY AND THEY ARE A COMPLETE RIPP OFF. WHEN YOU FIRST JOIN YOUR CALL IS ANSWERED IMMEDIATELY

WHEN YOU BECOME A CUSTOMER THEIR WAIT TIMES ARE OVER AN HOUR AND IF YOU COMPLAIN THEY LOCK YOUR ACCOUNT.

DO NOT HOST WITH 1AND1.COM THEY ALSO CHARGE YOUR CREDIT CARD WITHOUT AUSTHORIZATION AND YOU CANNOT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT

1AND1Q.COM IS A COMPLETE SCAM BEWARE AND DO NOT JOIN THIS LOUSY COMPANY FOR YOUR WEB HOSTING NEEDS

billing and collection scam

I started getting excessive phone calls from nco, a collection agency, followed by several letter...

billing me for services not provided

I signed up with them around 6 months ago because I thought they would be a perfect fit for me having no html...

bad service

I have been with 1and1.com for a couple of years. I have purchased many domain names. They recently contacted...

cancellation problems

After signing up for a website w/www.1and1.com, I saw right away I did not like it and I cancelled in le...

bad service, bad cust services

Just to drop some lines here against this 1and1.com company. They are the worse company you can get for your business. If you are planning to get a domain or hosting or something related, please do yourself a favor do not do it!!!

1and1.com sucks big time they are the worse in the industry... No even bbb wants them.

1and1.com is a rip-off company. Just read others bad comments about them on line.

I have the worse experience getting a domain w/them.

cancellation and refund policies

Well I have read a few of the threads here bashing 1&1, and have just had my own problems with them...

horrible company

1 & 1 Internet is a horrible company, but some recourse is possible! Not only am I a very disgruntled customer after they lied to me repeatedly after reselling a name I had registered and paid for with them, but I am an investigative journalist. In the last 8 months, I have written more than 30 articles, interviewed more than 200 people who have been blatantly wronged by 1 & 1 Internet, talked to several consumer groups and interested attorneys, and worked with over 60 radio and TV stations on this story. Everyone has been very interested, and the investigation continues. If you have had an issue with the company, you can do the following make a difference, and get your justice:

1.) File a complaint with the Pennsylvania Attorney General’s office at www.pa.gov, or call the investigator Madelaine Dakour directly at [protected]. They have already received a large number of complaints, and have escalated the investigation, so make sure and contact them.

2.) File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau where they already have a completely unsatisfactory rating by going to www.bbb.org

3.) File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission at www.ftc.gov

4.) File a complaint with your state consumer advocacy group through the Attorney General’s office or Secretary of State’s office. Indiana’s is www.indianaconsumer.com

5.) Explore your state’s legislative code and find out where they stand on mandatory arbitration clauses. The Federal Arbitration Act has been shot down by state courts if they find the 1 & 1 contract to be “unconscionable” and without “mutuality” as they offer nothing for the consumer. More and more courts are ruling in favour of consumers, especially with terms and conditions that allow for illegal activity. Breach of contract, fair trade laws, fraud, and consumer laws are the tip of the legal iceberg for 1 & 1.

6.) I’m working with station affiliates of each of the major TV networks, and you can help by contacting your local station through the main sites at www.cbs.com, www.nbc.com, www.abc.com, and www.foxnews.com. Contact the investigative reporter, or simply send a news tip to the newsroom and they will follow up. Chances are, they are already aware of the major problems with the company.

7.) Keep meticulous records!

My lawsuit is pending, and I’ve been inundated with law firms wanting to take on the abysmal business practices, or lack thereof, with 1 & 1. The blatant disregard for the consumers has gotten the attention of the legal community, media, and consumers all across the country and by banding together, we can get some justice. You do not have to succumb to their tactics!

Kelli J. Jack

President
Lines, Inc. Media
8425 Woodfield Crossing Blvd.
Suite #100
Indianapolis, IN 46240
[protected]

John Jul 15, 2008

I started a website for my school over a year ago. It was for a fund raiser that lasted 2 months. I paid for a year of service. I closed my account to stop from them forcing payments from me.

Now, over a YEAR after the account was closed, I received an email with an invoice.

I emailed them asking why I was getting an invoice, and asking not to charge me, and I received a reply saying

"The invoice that you have received is for the automatic annual renewal
    of the domain that was ordered. The domain has been renewed for you for
    the next 12 months and is non-refundable as stated in our terms and
    conditions."

I do not have the account info to even LOG IN and stop this, I removed the billing agreement from my paypal, but they refuse to give me a refund. I filed a paypal complaint for fraudulent charges. I've never dealt with a more ridiculous company in my life! I'm going to take every measure possible against this corrupt company.

I'm going ot keep getting charged too. They sent a collection agency on someone after they closed their credit card after 4 years of recieving unwanted payments. They don't back down. This is so stupid!

• 1a
    1and1Investigator May 28, 2009

In my dealings with 1and1 it is obvious that they just don't care about bad customer relations, bad publicity, etc. Their business is undoubtedly based on churn (high turnover of customers with new customers replacing lost customers) and ripping off existing customers by their insane financial policies. I suggest that any would be new customer carefully read the contract they must agree to when signing up with 1and1. Unfortunately I didn't. No one with more than two brain cells would ever knowingly agree to their contract.

• Vg
    vg411 Sep 15, 2009

Dear Kelli,

I agree 100% with what you're written about 1and1.com! I performed several transactions with 1and1 to buy many domain names. I cancelled many of the domains PRIOR to the expiration date of the first year and they STILL charged my credit card! I couldn't stop them from accessing my credit card, so I finally had to enter an old (expired) credit card into the system in order to keep them from accessing my valid card. Little did I know that they retaliated by sending ALL of my transactions to NCO Financial (collections)! I get at least 3-5 calls per day from NCO and they are horrible people! 1and1 offers NO HELP whatsoever!

Do you have any updated good news about your experience with 1and1 or NCO Financial that could give me a blueprint to salvation? NCO has already placed several collection entries on my credit report!

Thank you, in advance, for your kind reply.

Sincerely,
    Vince
    [email protected]

• Wa
    WayUnhappy Nov 26, 2009

I am having the same kind of experience with NCO Financial trying to collect from me for services/products I never ordered. Even though it is a relatively small amount of money, I can tell these people are bad people. What can we do to nail these crooks? You can count me in.

• Du
    duncancl Aug 21, 2011

I used this company for hosting various websites from 2002 to 2006. The service was abysmal and the customer service was a nightmare. Signing up was very easy but leaving was very, very difficult. I lost half of my clients due to slow loading sites, email accounts that didn't work and poor response time to technical problems. I eventually cancelled my multiple accounts and moved all of my websites to another host. Even after leaving 1 and 1 continued to try to charge me and now I have an issue with my credit rating. Two years after leaving I got a letter from a collections company. I paid the balance after 3 weeks of trying to have it removed/contested. Now even though it has been paid the strike is still on my credit report. I didn't owe the money as I had cancelled and received confirmation of cancellation. I also hadn't been using the services yet I was still billed without communicating this with me and without access to the account I was being billed for.

I thought that my experience may have been unique but after reading hundreds of similar posts on websites and blogs I am now convinced that this company is scamming people. I have never taken time to fill out a BBB complaint but this company has motivated me to do something to fight back against us little people. I would love to have this strike removed from my credit but I doubt this will ever happen. My hope is that this company will be sued or shut down to prevent hundreds and thousands of other Americans from going through the Hell that I and others have endured by doing business with 1 and 1 Internet.

• Ew
    E. Williamson Feb 10, 2013

This company sent an invoice on 11/20/13, but the renewal date was 11/18/13. I emailed to cancel on the invoice date, but they replied they would not cancel by email. I then called and they said they could not cancel because I didn't have the password. The account had been set-up by an employee that was no longer working at my company. After several more emails and calls they have turned me over to a collection agency. Stay away from this business and their deceptive billing. Once you sign up, you can't get out !

• Je
    Jerry4711 Jan 08, 2014

I had bought several domain names with 1&1 and with each I ticked the box for non-renewal after the one year expiration date. Yet 1&1 has taken it upon themselves to renew those domain names without authorization by me. I never place a renewal order because I often buy the names for possible websites, and if it doesn't happen in the years time, then like other registries I've been with I'd get a notice asking me if I want to renew and if I don't respond then it automatically expires.

Yet 1&1 has illegally authorized the renewals and then they demand money for what they have done illegally. Bring it on 1&1 send me to collections so I can start a class action suit. Please do it - I'm retired and got nothing better to do and I will enjoy suing you and getting compensation. See you in court - anyone want to join me?

• El
    elderlyandharrassed Feb 26, 2014

I received a disturbing letter in the mail from NCO Financial Services Inc as well and they are saying I owe them because of 1 & 1 Internet -------- I don't even HAVE internet. I am an elderly lady - and they don't have my name or address totally correct - but it is still alarming and I am very upset.
    They should be stopped and charged for this harrassing behaviour.

bad dedicated servers

We have 2 dedicated servers with 1and1, and one of our partners also has a server with them. We had trouble with 1and1 in the past and now our partner has had the same thing happen to them.

Although 1and1 "claims" 99.9% uptime, their tech support and response time is PATHETIC for a company of their size. We had a case where one of our servers was off line do to a Microsoft update installation. We were unable to access it with Remote Desktop. At first, trying to call the tech support phone number (the only way to get support because they have no online ticketing system) yielded no answer! The phone just rang and rang. After several hours I finally got through.

After dealing with the agent for about 30 minutes, he finally "escalated to the datacenter techs". They were to "send me an email when it was back online".

5 hours later and 10 more phone calls we still had absolutely no answer. We were not allowed to talk to the datacenter techs directly, and the agent said we would be back online within 24 hours!

Eventually I was able to resolve the problem myself by shelling in and terminating the installation that was running and preventing access to Remote Desktop. And I NEVER got any response from 1and1 afterwards.

A similar thing happened to us again about a month later in which we were offline due to a "technical problem" in their datacenter and again we had absolutely no response for hours from them. After almost 6 hours wer came back online.

Now our partner has been offline for almost 24 hours due to a "switch problem in their rack". They again get no answer from 1and1 other than "you need to wait until the techs contact you". (Which they never do!)

This has nearly caused our business to lose all our customers, as they depend on 99.9% uptime. Any more than 30 minutes offline really effects our customers. If your service is like ours, be aware that if you ever have a major problem with 1and1 and don't have a backup in another datacenter, you may be in SERIOUS trouble,

Chris O Jun 14, 2008

I am in the process of cancelling my business pkg with 1and1. We'll see how long it takes. 1and1 can claim my sites are up 99.9% of the time because they are visible to the world, but the continual "internal server errors" sabotaged me.

I'm not a major geek so there was nothing fancy - features 1and1 provided, so they should have been compatible. Each HTTP 500 error meant photo galleries disappeared and with them contact and registration forms. There isn't a good time for that to happen, certainly not a good thing to happen Every Day.

Of course I couldn't edit the site at those times or download data from the forms. These episodes might be for a day or for 30 minutes - totally random. The last time I reported it their answer was they couldn't find anything wrong. I was instructed to wait until it happened three more times and provide specific information. ... the same information I'd been reporting.

There's no point reliving the service aspect. When it becomes unusual to go 24 hours without a problem it's time to move on.

Chris O

chris Jun 16, 2008

1and1.com - STAY AWAY!!! my exchange accounts have been offline for almost 4 DAYS NOW! i will be moving to a different company very soon!

• Lo
    Lou Aug 06, 2008

1and1.com has been one of the worst hosting companies I've worked with. I'm going to stick with godaddy.com

1and1 has the worst tech support, and their customer service was unbelievable.

• Co
    cory waldron Sep 14, 2008

I have an internet marketing business online and went to check my site the other day...no website online, so i checked my domain name which is also through 1and1, my domain names are all gone...I called their oh so helpful tech support, she says it appears your domain names were set to "turn off auto renewal" and they have recently expired. I said why would i turn off the renewal for my business domain names, I never did it. She says, well it wasnt us and you can pay us $40 US to get it back...but it'll take 5 or 6 days to do so. Well i got on the phone with the supervisor, he was worse than the tech support. I said I have many domains and hosting with you for many web clients, please waive the $40 fee that wasn't my doing in the 1st place, and told him i would be taking my business and my clients business elsewhere...he did NOT give a damn, said "go ahead, do whatever you want".

I'll be SO happy to find another hosting and domain business that actually appreciates their clients and customers.
    I would NOT recommend 1and1 to anyone, i've been with them for years will be moving asap!

1and1 internet hosting-one and one problems!

Today my website’s is down because 1and1 internet disabled the website’s admin control panel since they failed to charge my credit card for the monthly hosting fee which is around $7. They did that without my notice, they did not even give me email notice. Suddenly, my website is completely down and I had no idea, but I can only called 1and1 internet customer service I made three calls and every call keep me waiting about 18 minutes. After the 3rd call (5 hours later) , I checked my site and it was working eventually. I should have transferred my domain name 1 month ago if I have knowledge about php and my sql.

I hate to deal with their customer service. Last year, when I want to cancel my vps package, I called them and did it according to what the rep told me. But their cancellation procedure is a little complicated and tricky. Only after one month that my credit card was debited one more month’s fee did I recognize that my vps is still active. Actually, this is my only site which is still hosted by 1and1.com. I have transferred the other 5 websites to other hosting company since 1and1.com left me such bad bad experience

One more thing which is worth pointing out is that 1and1 internet continually send us email so frequently and I can only delete their email every time. I don’t even read its since I know 99% of them are all spam emails. They keep bombing my email address for the whole year. I am not against company sending valuable emails to customers, what I am against is you can not send customer emails too many times.

What I am writing this about article is everybody who is considering a web hosting company should carefully research before you make your decision. Of course, I don’t recommend 1and1.com. They throw the most dollars onto the major business related magazines and they ever buy 10 pages whole page ads on one famous tech magazine. But what they deliver is the world’s worst hosting and very bad customer service. I am very curious why such a crook company can still survive in a competitive hosting marketing.

• Ke
    Kelli Jun 19, 2008

1.) File a complaint with the Pennsylvania Attorney General’s office at www.pa.gov, or call the investigator Madelaine Dakour directly at (215) 560-6790. They have already received a large number of complaints, and have escalated the investigation, so make sure and contact them.
    2.) File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau where they already have a completely Unsatisfactory rating by going to www.bbb.org
    3.) File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission at www.ftc.gov
    5.) Explore your state’s legislative code and find out where they stand on mandatory arbitration clauses. The Federal Arbitration Act has been shot down by state courts if they find the 1 & 1 contract to be “unconscionable” and without “mutuality” as they offer nothing for the consumer. More and more courts are ruling in favor of consumers, especially with terms and conditions that allow for illegal activity. Breach of contract, fair trade laws, fraud, and consumer laws are the tip of the legal iceberg for 1 & 1.
    7.) Keep meticulous records!

Kelli J. Jack
    President
    Lines, Inc. Media
    8425 Woodfield Crossing Blvd.
    Suite #100
    Indianapolis, IN 46240
    (317) 469-7529

Sam Kettner Jun 19, 2008

I am also a victim of 1 and 1 Internet, and have secured legal counsel. The local tv station also interviewed me and said they are looking into the company too since they have so many complaints. Can't believe this joke of a company still does business in this country. Hopefully, not for long.

BTW-Brandon in sales has lied to me and my employees repeatedly, and refused to assist us.

• Si
    Simon Jones Jul 13, 2008

1and1 have a hidious record. I had reason to complain to them a while back, their call operators based in London were hardly able to speak English.

In the end I decided to record the calls and create a website about the complaint. Then I sent them a link and wouldn't you know it all of a sudden they were able to see my side of things far clearer.

• 1a
    1and1 support Sep 17, 2009

Basically, paying your bills is your major responsibility. You should be responsible enough to track down all your bills. If you give importance to your packages and accounts, you should take note the exact due date of your account. Don't blame 1and1 for locking your account that was caused by your negligence. Where can you find a company that continuously give you a service without them being paid? Who the heck are you? you must be too lucky to have that kind of service. Put yourself in the side of 1and1. What will you do if you are not being paid by your customer? what shall you do to his account? Be fair!

And the most important thing.. "PEOPLE WHO DOESN'T KNOW ABOUT SUCH THINGS ARE THOSE WHO KEEP ON COMPLAINING. THEY ARE NOT JUST RUBBISH BUT SIMPLY ###S!

P.S. YOU! Simon Jones. You shouldn't get some hosting packages to any company if you do not know what are the basic policy of every company that you have annoyed with! you are such an annoyance and even pretended as an educated person well in fact you act as not!

• Al
    alterdstate Sep 18, 2009

1and1support if you were doing things right then why do you have so many complaints. Your service is crap and so is your customer service. You can get a better deal on yahoo (which I used after 1and1 and am very pleased with. They bill me and I pay plus I don't pay extra for the crap you charge for. Look on this board and look at the number of complaints. There are many other sites with same thing. Obviously you guys are going to have to do something different if you want people to stop complaining. Yeah the basic hosting is cheap till you see that they will lock you in for a year. These guys arescumbags in my book and hopefully they go down. I paid for service that I never used. When I contacted support via email, I got no reply. What a joke

• De
    DesignerInFla Apr 01, 2010

The lack of professionalism exhibited in the post by 1and1support ("PEOPLE WHO DOESN'T KNOW ABOUT SUCH THINGS ARE THOSE WHO KEEP ON COMPLAINING. THEY ARE NOT JUST RUBBISH BUT SIMPLY ###S!") only serves to underscore the complaints being made not only on this board, but on many other boards that I've checked out when I began doing my due diligence on this company. I came into this experience as a mere designer, with my friend's son signing up with 1 & 1 for their company's web hosting services. Time and time again, I've experienced mediocre customer service at best (once, maybe twice, I hit upon a rep that actually knew what they were talking about, but it was rare.) For the most part, the reps sounded like they were reading off of a script. When I asked them more complex questions regarding coding (keep in mind, I'm just a designer, my coding skills are limited to basic HTML, CSS and PHP) I would be placed on hold for several minutes. When I pressed the issue, the rep finally confessed that they were "not qualified to help in that capacity". I ended up getting help from fellow designers who are also developers in making sure that the coding was correct. Now that the site is up, I'm still having problems with the mail.php file not directing users to the correct page like it should.

I am recommending that my friend move her site to another host service, and after reading the complaints, had the foresight to save the auth codes should she run into any problems in moving her domain.

• Ae
    aelsbree May 25, 2011

Hi,
    Wow! I guess I'm really sunk. I've had mail.com free for 9 years with NO PROBLEMS. Since they upgraded their format May 10 2011, it's been
    a nightmare. I can't get ANY HELP. I even faxed the CEO! It's got years worth of personal and business emails, files...that I desperately need to
    get at. So sorry you all, who were paying customers, got the shaft. What a nightmare.
    Anita Elsbree

Hi,
    1. Unable to open to open email since May 18, 2011 at 11pm PST. Have been getting "error...wrong username or password" since then.

Email address (mail.com): [email protected]
    First and last name on file: Anita Elsbree
    Date of Birth (MM/DD/YY):
    Gender: F
    Date of Registration (approx.): 1998? 2000?
    Contact email address on file (alternate): not sure if there is one (am using [email protected])
    Last successful login: May 18 11 pm PST last able to log in and get email
    Secret question and answer:
    Phone: 818.337.9198

password crow1953

2. Lost all of email from inbox on May 10 2011 the night you upgraded my format. Also lost all in box email again 2 days later. Simply disappeared.

3. AS OF MAY 24 ALL MY IN BOX EMAIL HAS DISAPPEARED FROM MY ALTERNATIVE ADDRESS AT [email protected]

> ----- Original Message -----
    > From: Customer Support
    > Sent: 05/23/11 03:20 PM
    > To: [email protected]
    > Subject: Re: Access/Login

• El
    Elizabeth123 Feb 03, 2012

Thank you for posting this Kelli. I hope your lawsuit worked out in your favor.
    1 and 1 Internet stole my website (content, design etc) then added links to products. I'm a doc so it looks as if I'm endorsing them. You mentioned that several attorneys have approached you, would you be kind enough to share their names here? I just got their web host to take it down (did the DMCA notice) for the second time. Third time I will sue them so I'd like an attorney with knowledge of them. I've also had to contact search engines to take it off the searches (it actually competes with my real site).

Also, I wonder if the sea of people writing complaints about them, not just here but elsewhere on the Internet, can get together for a class action civil suit. One of your attorneys might be interested in that.
    Here's a judgment against them for stealing another person's website: http://domains.adrforum.com/domains/decisions/1036272.htm