Whirlpool / Over The Range Microwavedoor cracking

The door frame cracked around the front of the microwave door and ran down underneath the door front, to the back of the seal. I bought this at Lowe's and purchased the extended warranty for 4 years.

I called Lowes On 1/12/09. After being scheduled three times for someone to come - they don't show up, being promised a call back, being promised a new door, then a new mircrowave, because the price of the door was almost as much as the microwave, they called today - 2/18/09 to tell me that it was a cosmetic defect and this is not covered by the extended warranty. I asked them how they knew it was only cosmetic, since NO ONE had showed up to look at it. I got a bit cranky with them and asked to speak to a supervisor. I'm still waiting for that call.

I wouldn't buy the Whirlpool and I wouldn't buy the extended warranty from Lowes.

• Tu
    tumolt Jul 08, 2010

MODEL RH 1170XSQ-1 HAS A PROBLEM WITH CRACKS IN THE PLASTIC AROUND THE GLASS. CALL WHIRLPOOL AND SPEAK TO BARB [protected] XTN 6743 BEAT HER UP AND ASK TO SPEAK TO GILLETTA HER SUPERVISOR. YOU HAVE TO TAKE OFF THE TOP COVER (4 PHILLIPS HEAD SCREW) AND A t-15 BIT WHICH YOU CAN GET TO FIT A HEX EXTENTION SCREWDRIVER. IT TAKES 2 MINUTES TO TAKE THE DOOR OFF. TELL WHIRLPOOL THAT YOU WANT TO SEND THEM THE OLD DOOR. 553 BENSON ROAD, BENTON HARBOR, MI 49022 THE COMPANY IS RESPONSIBLE FOR DEFECTS IN MANUFACTURING. ANY USE OF A MICROWAVE PRODUCT THAT LEAKS THE WAVES IS A VIOLATION OF YOUR HEALTH AND SAFETY. THE U.S. GOVERNMENT AND UNDERWRITERS LABRATORIES HAVE SPECIFIC GUIDELINES. I BELIEVE WE SHOULD BE COMPENSATED, NOT CHARGED FOR DEFECTIVE AND POTENTIALLY HARMFUL PRODUCTS. THANKS, MATT

nomorewhirlpool Jun 24, 2009

I also have a Whirlpool over the range microwave, and the door frame cracked. I bought it al Lowes over a year ago, no more warranty. Very poor material, and we didn't abuse the unit, actually very normal and gentle use. Very disappointed. We bought this as a replacement for a GE that lasted over 10 years.