Menu

reviews & complaints

Defy Appliances / Defy South Africa Complaints Summary

2 Resolved
353 Unresolved
Our verdict: If considering services from Defy Appliances / Defy South Africa with a critical resolution rate, extra caution is advised. Examine detailed customer feedback to understand the severity and nature of unresolved issues. Be prepared for the possibility of unsatisfactory responses and have contingency plans, including seeking assistance from consumer advocacy groups if necessary.
File a complaint
Verified
The authenticity of the customer service contact information for Defy Appliances / Defy South Africa has been meticulously verified by representatives from ComplaintsBoard using our proprietary verification system.
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Defy Appliances / Defy South Africa. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
Claim Your Business
Take control of your profile: address complaints and engage with reviews

Defy Appliances / Defy South Africa complaints 355

Sort by:

Newest Defy Appliances / Defy South Africa reviews & complaints

F
3:30 am EST

Defy Appliances / Defy South Africa Faulty dishwasher

Bought Defy 15 Place Atlantis CornerWash Dishwasher - Inox Silver - A+++ (DDW366) off Takealot, delivered 05 December 2023 with no visible defects, but upon use we realised that the dishwasher does not heat water on any setting.

Contacted Defy 22 December 2023 to report problem. Technician did inspection of machine on 08 January 2024. He confirmed that the dishwasher is correctly connected but does not heat water, and the door is skew, i.e. dishwasher is faulty out-of-box. The technician logged a report. He advised me that I will hear back from Defy within three days. I never heard back from them.

7 phone calls and 6 emails later, including three promises to "escalate" my query, none of my emails were responded to, and I am yet to speak to a manager/supervisor. I emailed the invoice as requested by one of the call centre agents, but the dishwasher that is still under warranty cannot be used and has not been replaced.

Claimed loss: R7999.00R8099.00 if including delivery cost

Desired outcome: Replace dishwasher with same model as per manufacturer warranty within one week.

Confidential Information Hidden: This section contains confidential information visible to verified Defy Appliances / Defy South Africa representatives only. If you are affiliated with Defy Appliances / Defy South Africa, please claim your business to access these details.

C
5:09 am EST

Defy Appliances / Defy South Africa Washing machine

Am mapelo shai. I buy washing machine 3 months ago from wajid cut price randfontein. It gives me problem for spinning. Spinning is not right. I am staing at adress (tv 1208 holomisa bekkersdal.) my washing machine serial number is [protected]. Plz fix that machine for me. Becoz I am trusted customer of defy. I always trust on defy things. My phone number is [protected]. Other number is. [protected]. Plz as soon as possible

F
8:27 am EST

Defy Appliances / Defy South Africa Defy microwave - rust problem

Good day,

I have attached photos of a Defy microwave purchased some 4 years ago.

The microwave works perfectly but it has rusted inside. Surely this is not standard practice.

The following is an excerpt regarding rust in a microwave:

"Dangerous

Rust in microwave oven is dangerous because it can cause sparks, fires, explosions, and microwave radiation leakage. Rust can also harm your health if ingested or inhaled. Rust can form due to old age, humidity, or liquid spills. You should not use a microwave with rust inside it, and keep rust away from food."

The microwave is in my kitchen, inside the house. I am concerned that Defy

does not accept responsibility for this and manufactures products that are unsafe.

Desired outcome: Please respond to my concern and confirm 1. whether it is company policy to accept that products can rust inside the oven and that they are dangerous to human health and pose a potential safety hazard and what can be done.

Hide full review

Is Defy Appliances / Defy South Africa legit?

Our verdict: Complaints Board's thorough examination reveals Defy Appliances / Defy South Africa as a legitimate entity with notable strengths. Despite a 0% resolution rate on customer complaints, which invites a closer look, Defy Appliances / Defy South Africa stands out for its commitment to quality and security. Clients considering Defy Appliances / Defy South Africa should delve into its customer service record to gauge compatibility with their expectations.

Defy Appliances / Defy South Africa earns 91% level of Trustworthiness

Perfect Trust Endorsement: Defy Appliances / Defy South Africa achives 91% ligitmacy per Complaints Board. Highly recommended, yet always stay vigilant.

We found clear and detailed contact information for Defy Appliances / Defy South Africa. The company provides a physical address, 2 phone numbers, and 2 emails, as well as 4 social media accounts. This demonstrates a commitment to customer service and transparency, which is a positive sign for building trust with customers.

Defy.co.za has a valid SSL certificate, which indicates that the website is secure and trustworthy. Look for the padlock icon in the browser and the "https" prefix in the URL to confirm that the website is using SSL.

Our scan shows Defy Appliances / Defy South Africa website is free from malware and phishing activities, which are types of online threats that can include viruses, worms, Trojan horses, ransomware, and other malicious code, as social engineering tactics used to trick users into sharing their personal information.

Defy.co.za has been deemed safe to visit, as it is protected by a cloud-based cybersecurity solution that uses the Domain Name System (DNS) to help protect networks from online threats.

Defy Appliances / Defy South Africa as a website that uses an external review system. While this can provide valuable feedback and insights, it's important to carefully evaluate the source of the reviews and take them with a grain of salt.

However ComplaintsBoard has detected that:

• While Defy Appliances / Defy South Africa has a high level of trust, our investigation has revealed that the company's complaint resolution process is inadequate and ineffective. As a result, only 0% of 355 complaints are resolved. The support team may have poor customer service skills, lack of training, or not be well-equipped to handle customer complaints.
3:19 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

On 20-11-2023 I contacted Defy's call center and reported my chest freezer was not working, I spoke to Ms (Mashlato) and she gave me REF NO 1887622 - she told me that the local tech will contact me soon- By 24-11-2023 I was still waiting so I called call center again, and spoke to Ms. (Gomotso) who escalated it By 27-11-27 again I phoned and waited 5...

M
7:38 am EST

Defy Appliances / Defy South Africa Defy Slim Line HOB WCP

Good Day

I refer to a complaint which was taken up with Makro Amanzimtoti as I called their offices on the 24th May 2023 and was given the following reference number: 3145951.

I advised them that I purchased a Defy Slim line Solid HOB WCP on the 13/02/2022 and I have noticed the stove plates are starting to form rust which is rather concerning since the purchase was done just over a year ago. The unit is kept in rather good condition and we should not be experiencing such an issue so soon.

I received a call from Makro advising that they cannot assist as the matter must be taken up with Defy directly.

Can your offices kindly assist as a matter of urgency as the service received from Makro is rather poor . I have attached pictures to indicate what the issue is.

Your response will be highly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Marylee Govender

Contact Number :[protected]

Desired outcome: An inspection may be required to determine a solution to the problem.

M
9:36 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

MODEL CF 210-HC Serial number [protected] Na aankope op die 19de Junie 2023 by Handy House Furniture het ons waargeneem dat deepfreeze geen castors/wiele het nie. Daar is 'n klag ingedien deur die verkoper. Defy het Henley Defy technician uitgestuur om te kom kyk. Met sy 2de besoek het hy castors saamgebring wat bestel is. En eers maande later die 14de...

6:30 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Reference/call out: [protected] - Louw. We have been experiencing problems with this unit for about one year. The freezing compartment does not freeze properly and the red light at the top flickers all the time. There have been various technicians to attend to the problem and they have replaced everything from the control panel to the freezing elements, and...

L
4:24 pm EST

Defy Appliances / Defy South Africa Oven rusted inside

Good day

I baught a Defy Petit Chef in 2018. After a few years I noticed the oven buldge at the bottom panel. And it seemed like rust appearing. Now I see that it has small holes. I cannot think that it is save to use loke this. And Im disappointed that it has broken so fast.

I thaught that Defy stands for quality. And I hope they are willing to replace the oven for me.

Desired outcome: To replace this faulty oven.

S
8:59 am EST

Defy Appliances / Defy South Africa Poor quality product

I brought a complete oven, hob and chimney on 29/11/17.

Build in oven DBO 468, Chimney DCH314 900mm and hob DHD403 at one of your agents in Welkom, Freestate

I do not have of problem with the oven and chimney, but with the hob I have serious problem.

In 2021 I replaced the CPU board at a cost of R4500+, waited 3 months for the part. In 2022 exactly the same, and again in 2023 ( still waiting for part and out of order). Cost of hob to date is +-R20 000 including the original buying total of R5729.

I do not know if it a factory problem but it is unheard of an alliance to last such a short time.

Almost all my appliances is defy and never had such problem.

Please let me know what your respond and solution is.

Kind regards

PS Fick

Desired outcome: Replace with new hob, no charge

L
2:03 pm EDT

Defy Appliances / Defy South Africa Defy 22l fridge freezer w-wir disp mtlc

I bought the above fridge from Macro on 28/09/2023 with invoice number 138. It started freezing outside the deepfreeze part, a day after it was delivered. I immediately phoned Defy customer service and reported the problem. They said they will send out a technician within a weeks time, which they did. The technician told my son that there is something wrong which can't be fixed and that they will replace the fridge within a week or two weeks time. It is now more than a month that we have been waiting for the replacement. No one contacted us and the fridge has since been started to make louder noises. This is very poor service.

Desired outcome: I would like to receive my new replacement fridge asap, but first they have to test the fridge before they deliver it.

J
7:30 am EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Defy Appliances / Defy South Africa Washing machine does not work in accordance to set times

We purchased our defy 6kg washing machine in June 2023.

we used the machine and realised that the duration of the cycle was too long. we went to makro to hand in the machine and get a new one. we were told that since 14 days were up, we could not get a new one. the sales person logged a fault and weeks later , a technician came through weeks later and said that there was a fault with the mother board and that t will need replacing.

a few weeks later, he came by and "fixed " the machine. he said that the shortest cycle should be 28 minutes.

we used it another couple of weeks and now it started to take more than an hour again. we complained again. another fault logged.

two weeks later, today, the same technician comes by the house. he does not check anything and says that defy will decide what to do.

the machine was acting up days after we bought it.

the machine was bought from Makro, Nelspuit. the technicians name is Moses

G
6:42 am EDT

Defy Appliances / Defy South Africa Dangerous oven flaw

I just moved into a house with a Defy electric oven (slimline 600SE) and all the markings have rubbed off and there are no markings etched into the surface - either a design flaw or an intended way of cutting costs at the expense of user safety. One cannot safely use an oven without those markings as they literally indicate the temperature and settings. This is a very serious safety hazard and I was refused any assistance by Defy to rectify it - told to hire a technician with exorbitant rates to "assess the problem". The problem is blatantly clear and it renders the oven dangerous to use. This is a literal safety concern and Defy is trying to make more money off it!

Desired outcome: Assistance in remarking the front panel to enable safe usage of the oven, as well as an apology for the lack of concern for customer safety.

J
5:02 am EDT

Defy Appliances / Defy South Africa Dlt160 - washing machine

Good Day,

I purchased this Washing Machine on 12 March 2022 +/- 4 months later I phoned for a repair. They needed to replace my motor Ref 163 9024. Then this month Ref: 181 7833 I phoned with the same problem again. Defy Barnard came out and replaced the motor on the 27th of June 2023, on the 28th of June 2023 Ref: 1822305 I phoned again to say the machine is make huge noise no phone call or follow-up was done. I then phoned again on the 30th of June to follow up and they said my job was cancelled as the Washing machine was repaired. I told them it was not repaired and again they said someone would phone me. After receiving no news I phoned again on Monday to follow up to be told the same story again I needed to tell them I did not cancel the job and someone needs to come out. Still, I received no response from anyone. I phoned again on Tuesday 4th July and was told again the job was cancelled the lady then said she would get back to me and send me an email BUT NOW the machine does not work at all and will not TURN. I received a phone call from the same technician @ Defy Barnard to say he will come out on the 5th arrived and said he needs to take the machine away I was not at home and he told my helper he would phone me. After a number of phone calls I eventually got through to Defy Barnard to follow up, then get told his vehicle is full and they will collect the machine today, again no other response was received.

This is the worst service I have ever received and Defy Barnard is the worst of the worst, and for Washing Machine I do not have words did a back street man design and build these machines that cannot even handle a 6kg load washing when it should handle a 14kg washing. I cannot even put 1 x pillow in the machine and it struggles it is a Standard pillow not even a Continental pillow.

Desired outcome: REPLACE THIS MACHINE OR GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK

A
7:12 am EDT

Defy Appliances / Defy South Africa Defy Microwave

My Defy microwave had soon become faulty after initial purchase. We returned it to Game Cresta, where we bought it, and they sent it in for repairs. It was fixed and a few months later it broke again, got repaired and took it home. This is now the fourth time we sent it back because it’s faulty! Game Cresta advised us that by the 4th time we will get a new microwave. It’s going on 3 weeks with Game Cresta telling us that Defy is not getting back to them. Communication between Game Cresta and Defy should surely not affect me as a customer, however, it is.

Desired outcome: Please respond to Game Cresta! Apparently no one is answering them.

N
8:06 am EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Defy Appliances / Defy South Africa Fridge not fixed since 24 May 2023 and Technicians

2022 after purchasing a fridge i made a call to say my fridge is making noise and i was told its normal. 24 May 2023 I logged a call for the fridge which is making alot of noise coming from deep freezer inside the fridge.Ref 1807084 was issued The technician came and say the problem is the monitor he fixed it, same day the fridge was worse and reported to technician he said he want a new Ref.06 June 2023 Ref:1813063 logged technician came and say its a Compressor he putted a rubber and say that if the noise continue a video must be sent to him instead of him waiting to see if the fridge is fixed.Ref:1815076 issued 12 June Technician made an appointment for 13 June Technician never came to the house.On 19 June same technician called and make an appointment for 24 June communicated with a Technician he told me that he will come but he never came to the house.I contacted call centre after our conversation on 24 June i was told that the Ref 1815076 was closed by the Technician advising that ill call and make a new Ref of which he didnt tell me. Up to today im still sitting with a problem and asking for a solution beside technicians who come to the house opening the fridge with no help and sitting at home the whole day waiting for technicians who end up not coming.

I received a call from Technician with [protected] number on 28 June 2023 , he asked me when will I be available for him to come and fix the fridge ,We discussed times and he told me that he will only be able to make it in the morning .I told him that im at work and ill first ask for permission and let him know before end of day . I called him @ 14:59 and tell him that ill be available on Monday 03 July 2023 from 8 to 9 and he told me that he will only be able to come at 9 a.m and I said its fine. He told me that he will make a booking for Monday 03 July and I told him that ill call on Friday 30 June to confirm if the booking is made.

On 30 June 2023 @11:50 he called me and tell me that his at the gate , I was surprised because my appointment is for 03 July 2023 at 9 a.m. I asked him if he can wait for me for 15 minutes ill take lunch and rush home he didn't agree he told me that his having other calls and asked me what is wrong with my fridge over the phone of which I explained to him on 28 June and explained again . My surprise is ,was he coming to fix the fridge for 15 minutes or less to a point that he couldn’t even wait for me to get home while his already there .Our agreed time was 9 a.m and only called at 11:50 on a wrong agreed date and not sure if really he was there.

Contact:[protected]

Email:Chuckzin.[protected]@gmail.com

Desired outcome: Id appreciate for the fridge to be exchanged and given a new fridge or refund to be made instead of dealing with Technician who are not willing to assist for over a month and days and taking day offs at work every time

3:57 am EDT

Defy Appliances / Defy South Africa Compressor for fridge

Hi Sir/Madam,

I am a 69-year-old pensioner named Mahachand Brijmohan. My phone number is [protected]. I purchased a compressor from your Teakwood branch approximately 10 days ago. The sales representative, Asvish, was very helpful. However, the part I received was incorrect, so I returned it about 7 days ago. I was promised a refund via EFT, but I haven't received anything yet. I called Asvish, and he has been trying, but it seems he is not getting a good response from the other department. If you could assist me and provide a feedback, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

M Brijmohan

Desired outcome: Please eft the money intoMy account tjey got my bankimg details

E
3:42 am EDT

Defy Appliances / Defy South Africa Defy microwave model DMO 392

Good day i purchased this microwave from Fullhouse store in Bredasdorp on the 14th Febuary 2022 after having it 8 months i discovered at the bottom back inside the microwave the coating started to bubble and the front control panel was coming loose and i showed them one in there store which was also doing the same i brought it to the stores attention about just over a month ago the rust started showing through.

I went back to the store and again told them about it and supplied photos aswel.

Yesterday i was told but the store manager that they do not cover rust in the guarantee.

I told them i will post this on all social media platforms because this is totally crap. I have had a real cheap microwave for 9 years and that never happened to it

I looked so well after it and for this to happen i cannot accept it at all .

This microwave has a additional 2 year guarantee also.

Please advise me further.

Kind regards

Errol Wessels

Email ..[protected]@gmail.com

K
7:51 am EDT

Defy Appliances / Defy South Africa Defy freezer

We have had 4 service contractors come out to fix a gas leak or sort the freezer that is not freezing. Each time they re-gas and say it’s fixed and give a different feedback on their job card to say the problem is resolved. It’s a month now and we have had 4 people come to fix and two job card numbers raised. In addition the manager Thato Fantsi keeps sending contractors and does not actually resolve our problem. We had stock in for 4 days and it did not freeze. We only realized this when we went to restock another fridge. We had to react accordingly at our loss. We have a large stock order due in a few weeks and Defy should be liable for the stock should anything happen. We have tested the freezer ourselves and it takes 4 days to freeze a small bucket of water but the contractors say nothing is wrong! Thato does not seem to care and he’s in customer services so how does this issue get resolved? We have two of the same freezers so we’re not making a mountain out of a molehill! Both freezers were bought exactly the same day and used exactly the same way! Defy take responsibility and replace our unit or we need to get full compensation accordingly. Retailers need to start honoring their marketing and service agreements. Thato seems to keep stretching time and delaying sorting this issue! We have spoken to Thatos manager who has now said they are going to send a senior technician? Why? How many more technicians need to come through and why aren’t the first ones capable of doing their job in the first place? Job card numbers : 1779258, 1799456. The contractors that came back the second time did not raise new job card numbers. They just reported against the old ones! So how can we get the ombudsman to help us get retailers to be true to their sales agreements?

Desired outcome: New freezer or money back!

B
4:28 pm EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Defy Appliances / Defy South Africa Defy fridge supplied via Balwin property development

I moved into my new unit only to switch on a Defy fridge and WHAT a noise: sounds like I have some machine running in my house the whole time, can’t even hear myself think. This was end of August 2022, today is 12 May after 4 fridges have been swapped in and out of my unit and still the fridge is noisy. The technicians are rude, all I’m told is to log requests with no report from anyone. Escalated with its management and they take make for a fool by saying it’s normal for their fridges to make that noise. I am so gatvol with Defy, I hate the brand too much and I don’t want any of your products going forward.

Desired outcome: Refund me my money and let me have my peace life back and let me enjoy my new property.

C
8:04 am EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Defy Appliances / Defy South Africa Defy flamemaster 4 plate gas hob electric oven

Please could you advise why my brand new stove does not have any adjustable feet? There are the holes with threads on all 4 corners of the stove... But no legs... I went into hirsch in waterfall where I purchased the stove to be told that defy dont supply feet anymore I must just let it sit flat on the kitchen floor! My floor isnt level and I have never had a defy stove of which I have had many that have not been supplied with adjustable feet. Please advise.

Desired outcome: I would like adjustable feet please

Trust badge
Collect Your Trust Badge
Be recognized for outstanding customer service

Defy Appliances / Defy South Africa contacts