Walmart - Smartstyle Hair Salonno customer service!

J

I went into SmartStyle Hair Salon which is located inside of Wal-Mart for a haircut which includes a shampoo for the price stated.

I had to wait first of all for about 30 minutes and there was only one stylist working and she only had one customer she was styling. Then when she finally got to me she asked me how I wanted my hair cut and when I told her she said she was not comfortable using the razor to cut my hair because, she cut herself often and preferred to used the scissors and then she cut my hair and never offer me a shampoo. I was so frustated by this time and in so much back pain that I decided to let it slide. She asked me if I wanted her to blow dry my hair and I told her yes because, I had some shopping to do at Wal-Mart. She spent no more than 3 minutes drying my hair and use no styling tools when she was drying it.

The real kicker of this story is that when I got up to the register to pay she charged me an additional $3 for drying it and I asked her shouldn't the drying be free since I did not receive my shampoo and she said no because, the company required her to charge the additional fee if she used to blow dryer. My hair was still wet when I left there and I ended up paying $15.95 for a cut I am not happy with instead of $12.95 and got cheated out of my shampoo.

I will not be going back to SmartStyle ever again and advise anyone who does to watch out because, customer service is what I call no customer service.

Sincerely,
Judy Bertoson

• Ev
    eva devilyn Sep 27, 2007

how much is a wet set if anyone knows wash and curl with rollers

• Te
    tessy Jan 30, 2008

Please the salon in wal mart should please employ people to work than one person attending to many people. So bad.

angelique manns Feb 06, 2008

You get what you pay for, i mean come on you got your hair cut in wal mart. Did you really expect anything more? If you want service go to a real salon next time.

• Be
    Beatrice Norcross Little Sep 02, 2017

@angelique manns Hey stupid!!! Real hair stylists work there!

April63 Feb 16, 2018

@angelique manns I expected my hair not to be cut to the scalp, that's what I expected!! A offer for a shampoo and blow dry would have been nice since it's suppose to be included in the cost! Coshocton Ohio don't go to Shannon!!

April63 Feb 16, 2018

@Beatrice Norcross Little the flunkies work there!

• El
    Elizabeth Apr 03, 2008

I agree with the section of the complaint that deals with the finished style. If the stylist was planning to charge the 15.95 for a 'complete style', it should have been completed, and not left messy. The way you style without charging for a curling iron is to use a round brush while you are drying. A little hair spray and the customer is ready to go.

I do not back up the part of the complaint of having to wait 30 minutes to be waited upon. Each stylist has an individual pace she/he works at, and each customer has individual requirements he expects to be met. Some customers are fussier than other and require quite a bit more attention and satisfaction before they are ready to leave.

I am a stylist at Smart Style; I greet customers when they walk in and let them know how long a wait they may expect. There are times when when we work alone because employees are unreliable and play hooky or quit without a notice. This is beyond our control; we just work long hours with no days off until another stylist is hired to fill the gap.

To respond to the comment by Angelique of 'next time go to a real salon': I have the exact same education as a stylist who works in a 'real salon' and I have NEVER had someone come back on me with a complaint. This is because I am careful and listen to my customers. I have many repeat on-a-budget clients who enjoy having a knowledgable stylist in a reasonably priced salon. I know a few high priced stylists who could use a refresher course on customer satisfaction and good service. Unprofessional behavior and unacceptable results are not only visited upon Smart Style salons, Angelique.

Thanks for listening, Elizabeth

• Pa
    Paulette Jun 19, 2008

I took my daughter there 2 do a perm nd her neck was hurting 4 a whole week untill she told me nd she had a scab nd i tuk her 2 da doc nd they said she had a 1st degree burn nd also i tuk her 2 other salons b4 who do worsser so don't say it's a wall mart go 2 a real salon so if u ask mi i say u should learn how 2 style ur own hair cuz nobody knows how 2 style! nd guess wat they only gave me 250 dollars back.

• Ge
    George Porge Jul 05, 2008

Did you forget to check your text spelling before submitting your comment to Wall Mart (Wal-mart) ? WOW!!! oh wait i guess it could be worsser!!! ROFL FYI Worrser is not a word genius!

• Za
    zach's mom Aug 01, 2008

I understand your frustration with smart cuts. I went in today with my 6 year old son who has mild autism. I asked if they would cut his hair and they said NO! I don't want to get cut! No wonder these people are working in such a place.

• Rk
    RK Sep 30, 2008

I stopped at the Wal Mart Salon for a "simple trim". I thought the person who cut my hair was a little odd at first. As the minutes went by, I started get nervous and scared because she was really tweaky, jerky, and obviously high on something. She said something about meeting a guy in the parking lot on her break! Great, the person cutting my hair just hooked up in the parking lot for a boost. She was getting worse by the minute and when I thought she was finally done and I could get out of there, she did a couple of quick scissor jabs at the hair on top to "thin it" she said. I have fine, thin hair -it certainly doesn't need any sort of thinning1 Now I have 3 sections at the top of my head where 1" long stumps of hair stick straight up! I threw down 15 bucks and Ran out of there! Aren't the people working in the salon drug tested?

anonymous Oct 15, 2008

this is hilarious!! I also am an employee and manager of smart style hair salon. I personally think that the people who are complaining about it on here are people who have nothing better to do than degrade other people.. I also do a great job in my line of work.! Sometimes you get a bad hair cut by someone I understand this. However, instead of posting complaints on the internet you should go in and do something about it.. Smart style takes pride in having good customer services. When you are unhappy with something all it takes is going in and nicely telling them about it. They should be able to do everything they can for you within there power to do so. Also there is an 800 number on the wall behind the counter in every smart style that is for customer service complaints and what not.. As for the comment about going to a real salon, any stylist knows that it is not the salon you go to it is the person you get while there.. A terrible stylist could work in a "real salon" that would be much higher priced. Bad haircut for more money. At the same time a Great stylist could work in a smart style give you a wonderful hair cut and you would pay less. When you get your hair done make sure the communication is good. I cant help you get what you want unless you tell me. I can not read your mind. So when you go in if you want a shampoo and for some reason werent offered one then simply ask them could I get my hair shampooed. Simple as that. If by some chance you do get a bad service then telling the manager is best. It is good to let people know in a nice way if they did something wrong, people often learn from their mistakes. So next time instead of sitting down and voiceing complaint on the internet go in and tell them whats wrong. Don't be rude about it becuase its not going to get you anywhere..

• Be
    Beatrice Norcross Little Sep 02, 2017

@anonymous That's why you are staying anonymous you loser!!

April63 Feb 16, 2018

@anonymous I do have a lot more to do thats why its taken me 3 weeks to say something! But bad costumer service needs to be told about!

• Mo
    MOLICA Oct 17, 2008

Well i agree to the comments that people have went threw with there hair cause i will be astudent at a beauty school soon so i know how tuff it can get. And it can be tuff for students to hopfuly when i grad from school that i will be placed at wal - mart salon i just happend to come acroos some of the comment about wal - mart salon and how will it be if i were to work there. Hopfuly my custmer will like me.

• We
    Wendy Nov 24, 2008

I took my 8 year old daughter to get her hair washed and trimmed in the wal-mart salon and they gave me an attitude about washing her hair even though it says it is included for kids. It was very cold outside and they said they would dry it some, when I got up to the register they charged me for conditioner I didn't even know they put in her hair and they also charged me the blowdrying fee. I could have taken her to a real salon and payed less. She said it was standard to put conditioner in hair and she said it includes a shampoo, not conditioner. She didn't actually style it either, just took some of the wetness out.

• Mi
    mika Jan 25, 2009

I am very disappointed in several of these comments regarding smart style being a real salon. In fact it is one of the realest salons in buisness today. We are convienant we are knoweldgable, we are constantly training everyday. I happen to manage a smart style & I am a two time award winner. For many of your, edification we are owned be reigs a for runner in the ART of hairstyling. The reason we are available to everyone at a moments notice is because we are SO inexpensive. The reason Our haircuts dont include a conditioner is so we can be as inexpensive as possible while providing quality service I take pride in my stylist and we take pride in our work. I Personally came down from chicago to be by my mother I left my assistants & receptionists Because I needed a job, Smart style provided one & I have been here for three years & love it. My clients thank me everyday for not only makeing their hair fabulous but enriching their lives. Open your mind people before you make hurtfull non factual comments If you have issue with YOUR area smartstyle please call the 800 # we alwyas want to hear your complaints so we can fix problems causing you headaches.

Christy Feb 12, 2009

I was previously employed by Smart Style and I enjoyed it. It did have grueling hours and sometimes I was opening and closing by myself but It taught me how to be self sufficient and different techniques to go along with my own style. One client can take up to three hours if they are having a chemical treatment done like a perm or weave. Everyones own experience is different. Smart Style is owned by Regis who also owns many salons in popular shopping malls like Trade Secret, Regis Salon, and Master Cuts. Its pretty much all the same. Smart Style only rents the space from WalMart along with certain terms. If you do not like your stylist, let the Smart Style manager know. I am sure they will work with you, they can refund and offer to fix it. If you say nothing, then nothing will change and the stylist might continue in the same manner. Each stylist is different and uses different techniqes and has a different personality but if you think your stylist is on drugs then the authorities should deffinetly be notified.

• Ki
    kim Feb 27, 2009

i agree this so called hair salon is a piece of crap!
    i just got home and went straight to blow drying my newly died hair that i paid $95.00 for and it was all good untill it started to fall off wtf is wrong with these ppl did they ever go to beauty school? maybe craker jack boxes are giving away free passes to become a employe at the walmart salon! im going back and getting a refund! i went in with healthy thick hair and left with hair that looks like a wig a bad one at that!

jane Mar 08, 2009

i went to smart style the end of jan. for a perm as i work in wal-mart 2 weeks into feb. my hairvis poker straight my stylist told another co-worker of mine the reason for it going straight is because i used a hair clip on the top of my hair. this was said because they wont reinburse me for the perm for this reason and i dont want them to do another one on my hair so im stuck. they will never get my busness again or any one else thinking about going there

• Sh
    Shirley Howard Mar 14, 2009

How about this... what if the Stylist complain about the customer. Try this on for size. A smartstyle stylist works several hours on their feet, to be met with a constant flow of phone calls, retail sales, checking out customers, and questions, such as my favorite..."How long will it be until I get my haircut?". All this happens, while the Smartstyle stylist is working on her clients hair. I am often interupted anywhere from 3 to 6 or 7 times, each client. Understand, Smartstyle (Regis) will not allow us to have a receptionist. Trust I have begged for one. Also, the Stylist works hard to please the client, but sometimes is met with conversations that go a little bit of mind reading game. Like, the Stylist asks "How would you like your haircut?" The Customer, "I don't know...short" The Stylist "How short"
    The Customer " Short" The Stylist, " ok...how short is short? The Customer "Short short". 30 minutes later...The Customer, "Ohhh, that's too short!"
    Wow. Communication is key people, better yet, a picture is worth a thousand words as they say.
    Look, I agree about the wait, it sometimes can be anywhere from 30 minutes to a couple hours or more. All, I can really go by is my particular salon, and I know we work extremely hard, just to be treated poorly by the customer. Some won't even speak words, but just hold up two fingers in a sissor manner up to their hair, or better yet... the one word, ..."haircut?". Is there any other professional worker, you walk up to and just speak like that or gesture what you want? Just walk on up to a Dentist and say " braces" or go up to a mechanic and say "tire".
    I have a great clientel, they are some of the best you could ever meet, and I often get to meet some of the most amazing people you could ever run into, and so with what I do come the good with the bad. But yall have got to understand, We are not Wal-Mart haircuts, we are not uneducated stylist, (we btw have classes to continue education in cosmetology), and we are definately not lazy. Don't Judge too quickly before walking in someone else shoes.

• Fa
    Faith Apr 03, 2009

It is so handy to go to Smart Style, you can shop while you are waiting . they will page you. I showed the stylist a picture of the hairstyle I liked. she looked & said ok.when she got through it sure didn't look at all like the picture.it was a old style. I was so dissapointed. I had a shampoo, cut, & style $30.90. I was shocked. Sales ticket says shampoo & style Basic $14.95 conditioner $1.00 & adult shampoo & cut $14.95. the other salons in town charge $25.00 for shampoo, cut & style. I would'nt have minded my hair looked worse after than before. I know I should have told her I dont like to complain, so my loss. It just dont happen at Smart style salons. Faith

• Sm
    Smart Style Employee Apr 07, 2009

I am a stylist for Smart Style, we are not part of Walmart, we rent from Walmart!!
    On our sign outside of the door it does tell you : Hair cut and shampoo $14.95 .
    Also under that it says : Haircut, shampoo, and blowdry $17.95 and up !!
    We also have : Perm $44.95, and up!
    We do relaxing, up do's, Braids!!!
    We try very hard to please everyone that comes in our salon!!!
    We are a REAL SALON!!!
    I myself have had Clients come into the salon, and have gotten a bad hair cut from some where else that charged them a whole lot of money!!!
    I now have that client, who is pleased with my work, and comes back every 4-6 weeks!
    That client was very shocked that she could get a great hair cut, and service from a solon in Walmart!!!
    She told me she would never go back to the other salon again!!
    She would be back to see me, and she has been!!
    You also have to understand we are people too, we have bad days just like you!
    We make mistakes just like you!!
    We are human, and our feelings get hurt too!!!
    I have done hair for 24 years, and have done all, and seen all, and I understand your frustration, but you also have to remember, that not all stylist, are bad, go back try someone new!!! Do not put down a solon because of one stylist!!! You could be missing out on one great one waiting to do your hair the way you want it done!!!
    Also if you are wanting to know how much the service is : Ask!!!

• Ca
    cathy Apr 12, 2009

I am a stylist for Regis Salon. In response to Shirley about her perm. Regis stands behind all work done in the salon. If you are not satisfied with your hair you should speak with the manager of the salon . We always try to do everything we can to help you. Maybe go in for a few conditioning treatments and then try again. I am sure you will get satisfation or maybe try a differant stylist. Do not give up on Regis as a whole. I have been with the company for almost 17 years, A few times I have had to redo things for differant reasons. I always try to accomidate the client the best I can and still maintain the integrity of the hair. I hope this helps

• Nb
    nbardf07 Apr 21, 2009

I am a stylist from SmartStyle. I must admit, even reading comments on here I am trully ashamed of what some managers hire, what being stylists. Some stylists amaze me that they have a license and a job. Even the girls i work with now, are just trashy. They completly misrepresent everything that SmartStyle and the Regis corporatioon stand for. It is disgusting and if you have a complaint or have had a bad service done on yourself, let someone know. Every salon has a customer service notice posted behind the register, call the number. When there are issues within a salon it is not only the complainants job to complain, but it is then handed to the area supervisor to assure that customer that the issue is resolved.
    SmartStyle is a great salon, if the right people are working. I have come accross some drug users who were obviously let go when their 'secret' was let out, it happens in every industry. If you have an issue, don't vent on the internet like a child would do, be an adult, speak up when you have an issue before you pay. Its very frustrating for everyone when after you pay for your service and go home that you then 'realize' something's wrong. If something were wrong, you would have held your head hi and said"Excuse me my hair is straight, that perm didn't work". Or "Ma'am your sign says..." let them know you're not an idiot, because if you call days after your service, it's less likely that they will believe you. For example, myself and coworker did spiral perms on two sisters, we each used 3 boxes on their think nebver before permed hair, this two girls after no complaints in the salon came in when our manager was working and asked for a refund, I happened to be there when they returned days later and stopped my manager from refunding their money without full examination, because these girls had straightened their hair before returning, you could see lines from where the iron had sat too long. After wetting their hair down(one girl had not agreed to this) we saw that their hair was still curly. And it is people like these two women and people who blog about their issues that give professionals like myself and other dedicated stylists that bad name. So grow up, learn how to speak up, and you WILL receive only the services at the quality you deserve.

• Tr
    Trevor is now a proud father a baby boy Apr 21, 2009

I work at Wal-mart, we make like billions a year, and I must say I agree charging $3 for the use of a hair dryer is very ridiculous. You said she spend three minutes drying your hair. Does this mean you get charged by the minute. I am sure that the cost of electricity to run the hair dryer would not not even cost one tenth of this price. I have never heard of a place that charges to dry your hair. It comes with the hair cut. Shampoo perhaps, but never to dry it.

Also the last thing I would want to hear from someone cutting my hair is "I don't feel comfortable with the razer" and about the accident they had.

• Ro
    Robert Peterson Apr 24, 2009

can't active my credit card.

• Cs
    CS45 Apr 28, 2009

that right tell the stylist what you want they can't read minds

• Co
    colorjunkie May 04, 2009

i have worked for smartstyle for 9 yrs. it is a REAL salon with REAL prices. not a walmart salon with walmart prices. the reason we charge extra for a blowdry is because time is money. i have friends who work at different salons and ALL of them charge extra for a blowdry. all smartstyle stylists are from different beauty schools and are at different levels. i know a girl who has been doing hair for 19 yrs at a very expensive salon in california and then she came out here to work and she is TERRIBLE. so go to a high priced salon to get a cut from the same beauty school i went to yet she sucks at cutting hair so pay 3 times more for your bad haircut while im giving my clients great cuts styles and colors for next to nothing. its not about where you get your hair done its about WHO does it!!!

• La
    lauriebee May 07, 2009

I myself am a manager at a smart style. I just came across this site. I am frustrated because I agree and disagree with some of these issues. first of all Ill start by saying we did not get state licenced by the stationary isle in wal mart. there is a shortage of great stylists in any area in any salon. we are an economy based salon so it isnt atmosphere you are paying for or a day at the spa. you can get a great cut. some customers need to realize they come in with comanding and unrealistic attitudes because they know this. we do good work but we are busy and pressed being that we only take walk ins. not meaning you will not have to wait. the plus is you will still get your hair done. if you make an appointment somewhere, you may not even get in the day you need your hair done!! so, some of the attitudes are a little uncalled for and dosent make a stylist want to do any favors. customer is right when it comes to how you want your hair done, but customer not always right when expectations are beyond our ability to satisfy. such as wait time. it is unfair to say because you had a bad experience at one location with one stylist that its the stores fault. I myself, fix a lot of bad hair cuts color perms that came from more expensive salons. we all hear the horror stories on a daily basis. we do our best to suit every walk of life as you can imagine come through the store . This fact is also what separates us from a salon you make an appointment. we have no idea what to expect on a day to day basis. so a little credit and patience would be greatly appreciated. If you come in looking for something to complain about chances are you will find something but we as stylist are pretty intuitve and can tell.

• Ff
    fff May 25, 2009

I was trying to grow out my hair so I had them cut it off to about 1" long...then every week I would go have it washed and deep conditioned and blow dryed...the price always fluctuated...but I let them slide. After paying almost $30 for a little over a year the girl did something that messed up my hair...One day I left out and my hair felt different. Im not sure what the girl used but 2 days later I came back and my hair was brittle and breaking...it had to be cut.
    then the girl said maybe it was something I ate or medicine. I informed her it wasnt medicine, because I wasnt taking anything...and it wasnt food cause i have always had the same diet. So all that money I spent to take good care of my hair by professionals and they messed it up. all the hours I spent in the salon chairs...all for my hair to be cut all over again...what the heck...my hair should be down my back right now...but unfortunately its just now getting back to where it was before the girl damaged it.
    So frustrating. I have photos of when I got it cut..but not of what it looked like when they damaged it and it had to be cut again.

• Co
    cori08 Jun 02, 2009

i actually like getting my hair done at smartstyle, the stylists there are really good at what they do. From dealing with squirming kids getting their hair cut, to older people who are set in their ways and like their hair a certain way...i got my hair done there for prom when i was in high school and everyone at school LOVED my hair...i wasnt sure wahat i wanted but what she did was amazing...The people that i talk to while waiting are always pleasant and they love getting their hair done there also...but i guess you cant please everyone...SmartStyle, you still have my business!!!

• To
    Tori Jun 02, 2009

i dont think people should be complaining about where they choose to get there hair done. I mean that is there descion where they get there hair cut, styled whatever they want done. People who cut your hair dont have the intentions on making you look bad. They want service so they try to do the best job that they can. I think everybody has there own preference. Your stylist might not know the style you want. So i think all you people should stop complaining and down grading Smart Style because just remember you are the one that chose to go to this salon.

• To
    todayvision Jun 06, 2009

First off your the customer speak up okay! Do not leave communication to be assume. duh! I got marry close to two months ago. I did not make an appointment the day we came in, but you know what they took care of us. I did not know what to do with my hair, but my relatives did. They told her then she work around it to make it work for me. I was in tears when I saw how beautiful.

If you want a shampoo get a shampoo! duh! Speak up. Customer Service is a slight problem. In this case, this person is impatient and did not talk. If you did not want to wait don't. You do a walk in you wait.

I never had a problem with them. Yes, I have had to wait but then again I have at other places. They did a bad job.

anything extra is going to cost. nothing free unless you do it!

• Sh
    Sheeyah Jun 09, 2009

I am considering going to a SmartStyle for convenience and price. I currently go to SportClips now because I have coupons that make getting a haircut w/shampoo the same as at SmartStyle, but the coupons won't last forever and saving $6/mo. (for myself and my child) can add up. Plus, for my child, I could easily get it cut the same place we're going shopping. Heck, I could get my haircut, too, and my child could play where he always wants to every time we go.

Anyway, I came here due to the complaints so I wanted to check it out. First of all, if you're a woman, you have to consider what your needs are. If you have to get your hair cut at a specific time, you need to go somewhere that will make appointments. If you have special considerations for your hair, you'll want to go somewhere that actually specializes in women's hairstyles. My wife, for example, has very thick hair that's somewhat curly. She makes an appointment every couple of months at a salon for women (that is, men could go there, but don't...you know what I mean). She has it cut, styled, blow-dryed and may or may not have it straightened. The last time she had her haircut, the stylist didn't thin it out enough for her. She went back after running an errand and she fixed it for her no problem. (For this part, the key is that she went back and said she wasn't satisfied. If you don't do anything about the problem, it won't get fixed. Perhaps you did go back, perhaps not, but you have to express your dissatisfaction.) Now, if you have easy-to-manage hair then you could go to any number of salons for less. For guys it depends, but let's assume you're not getting a buzzcut or flattop and don't want to visit a barber.

Now, let's look at their services. First is the basic cut w/shampoo. $14.95 + This is really for guys. You get your hair cut and washed and go. Simple. Women shouldn't be getting this one. The additional costs (probably) come from any hair gel, special style, etc. you get. Most guys don't need that. Personally, I get a simple haircut and don't care about anything extra in my hair. If you do, you pay for it. But why include it in the price if the customer doesn't want it?

Second is Shampoo, cut and blow-dry. $17.95 + This is really for women. Women's hair is nigh always more complicated to cut than men's hair and (probably) needs to be blow dryed so it can be styled. If it's simple, then you could use the stylist's comb (pick, whatever) to style your own hair. If you want the stylist to do it, it'll cost more. The more you want the more it costs, simple as that.

Color and perms I don't know anything about and as for kids it really depends on both the child and stylist. If the child is fussy, it'll be more difficult. If the stylist isn't great with kids, it'll be difficult. If you have both...well, good luck. Still, price-wise including a shampoo it seems fine. It may be more for a girl depending on how her hair is styled.

In the end, you control anything beyond the cost of the basic service. You may want to ask the stylist up front how much it will be based on what you want done. That way you know before you have to pay. If you find a stylist you love, you should find out their schedule and go to the salon during one of those times; then be sure to request him/her if more than one stylist is there.

When you look at Customer Service, a major aspect is how they resolve any problems. If they apologize, correct the problem and then do something to keep your business they have excellent customer service (individual employees may vary, but management should be consistent). For a haircut, if it doesn't turn out quite right, tell the stylist so he/she can fix it. Don't go home, look at it in the mirror (which you would have done at the salon) and then decide, "She sure did a lousy job. I'm telling everyone about this crummy place." That doesn't do anyone any good. Besides, for as many complaints as you may see, they probably have twice as many compliments. Compliments, however, aren't usually placed anywhere on the internet but a company's website. Afterall, people like to complain but kind remarks are boring.

• Cu
    curley Jun 11, 2009

The sign may say PERMS $44.95 and up, but that is misleading. That perm will cost you $51.95 but they don't tell you until you get ready to pay. They HAVE to apply a $7 booster to the hair, no ifs, ands, or buts. They just forget to mention it until after the fact. I had been a customer for over two years for haircuts and was always satisfied but that $7. hidden fee just cost them a customer. Had they been up front, no problem. But when I ask ahead of time what the cost is, I want the total, not part of it. Will be looking for a new salon now.

• Am
    amber87 Jun 27, 2009

On June 26, 2009 I went to get my haircut at the Wal Mart Smart style in Virginia Beach...I read the comment you get what you pay for...ummm true, but I never expected to get home and cry at such a bad haircut. I didn't realize how bad it was until after I left the salon and my hair dried. I asked the stylist to keep the same shape of the cut but to just cut it shorter all around...I ended up with a bad haircut, more layers then when I went in, my hair sticks up in the back...I was charged for a shampoo that I didn't ask for...I sat in the chair and told the stylist haircut and she said let's get your hair shampooed, I thought it was part of the haircut. Thankgoodness I said I didn't need it blow dried. There were no price listings posted up, however on the counter when paying I saw adult haircut $14.95, but I was charged over $19.00 that is when I realized I was charged for shampooing...Bad experience and I want to WARN EVERYONE TO THINK TWICE BEFORE GETTING YOUR HAIRCUT HERE

• Ni
    NIGGATRIGGA Jul 12, 2009

THEY ARE GOOD MY WOMAN WORKS THERE AND THAT ### CAN DO SOME HAIR U KNOW

• Ga
    gatortastic Jul 16, 2009

Shirley Howard, I completely agree with everything that you have said.
    Smart Style is definitely a real salon.
    I used to work at Vanis, which is an extremely high priced salon in northwest Indiana. Just a haircut there runs at about $200. I quit there because that was commission only, to work at Smart Style, because there you get hourly if it adds up to be more than your commission. (granted they lied to me about that, but it's my mistake for believing them).

Where I work, half of the stylists do great work, and the other half...well, you get what you pay for. But don't insult all of the stylists just because you have had a bad experience with one.

• Ba
    BadHairDay from Smart Style Jul 29, 2009

My last trip to the Smart Style in Walmart in Oak Ridge, TN was horrible. I had a stylist that did a good job the first time (just a cut). She told me about her miserable home life and details someone should be ashamed to tell ANYone. Because she did a good cut the last time I decided to go back for a cut/color.

I was there at opening time to wait on her. She was 20 minutes late for work and looked like she'd been run through the ringer. She started to color my hair and immediately started telling me about her stressful, lousy night she had before. Her eyeliner was crooked and makeup was uneven. I should've gotten up and left at that point or ask for someone else!! My bad. This lady took a l-o-n-g time to put the color on. Then she streaked another color (highlights) on top of the color (no foiling or anything) and then put me under the dryer for 30 minutes. 30 minutes turned out to be more than 30 minutes!

I asked a co-worker to ask her to come over and check on me. She told me she had gone into WalMart to buy something to drink. When she came back, she said 5 more minutes which felt like 15 minutes. My scalp was so hot.

She shampooed me and started cutting my hair. I asked for a trim. My hair was about collar length before she started. She kept running off at the mouth and continued cutting while chatting with her boyfriend who had just wondered in. He left and she went on and on about their personal problems and how her mother hated her. Whatever.

By this time, my hair was getting shorter and shorter. I finally told her to quit cutting my hair. It looked so choppy and was about an inch and 1/2 all over my head. The back looked especially bad! I was SO upset. My hubby said OMG! and told me it looked horrible!! He doesn't usually pay much attention to my hair and hardly even notices when I get it trimmed and colored. He did this time!!! Immediately.

I frequent WalMart and the salon is just inside the front doors. I have never seen her there again so I'm assuming she got fired. I was going to go up to her and show her what she did to me, but never got to. BEWARE of who you are assigned to when you go to Smart Styles in WalMart. I think they hire their stylists from the deadbeats of the local beauty schools.

• Ni
    NikoGuappone Jul 29, 2009

you think they hire from the deadbeats of the local beauty schools??!! at my salon we have girls from beauty schools all over. one of them went to Avedas school and guess what?! she CHOSE smart style over working for an Aveda salon. just because you have a bad experience at ONE salon with ONE stylist does not give you the right to judge the rest of us! at the salon where i work, if a stylist has more than 2 return haircuts colors perms...whatever, they are let go because we have a good reputation and like to keep it that way. Yes, there are bad stylists, but for every one of those there are 10 amazing stylists. do not judge over one horrible experience.

• Je
    jeberra Jul 31, 2009

Smartstyle inside Wal-Mart is a complete RIP OFF! They mostly hire inexperienced newly beauty school graduates. Every additional thing cost, but they won't tell you until it is time to check out! When they offer conditioner expect to pay an additional $1, $3, $7, or $10. It depends on which conditioner you are given and how badly the stylist wants to make commission. Oh, yeah! The pay sucks! Stylist either get minimun wage or a commission from services rendered. So, if you feel like you are being rushed, YOU ARE. The stylist have to do as much as they can, as fast as they can, for as much as they can charge to make a little money. The workers are salespeople more so than stylist. The area supervisors are a bunch of self-made nobodies. The company promotes within the company, so if you can make plenty of sales and have good attendance, that qualifies you to manage and supervise other people and a set number or stores, regardless of your lack of educational credentials. A great attitude and management experience won't get you very far with Smartstyles! Its the money you make the company that counts. Oh, and should you decide to work there make sure you DO NOT become competition for your supervisor b/c he or she will FIND a reason to fire you to protect his or her position. That would explain the bad customer service, besides most of the stylist are just passing through until they find a real salon and/or get enough practice before moving on.

• Sm
    Smart Style Employee Aug 01, 2009

I work for Smart Style !! I have 25 years as a Hairdresser, I have no problem with the way the Company is ran, I go in do my Job, and go Home!!!
    As for we are a rip off!!! NO, we are told to do our consaltaion at the chair, find out what the client wants tell them the price!!! Then contune with the survice, for the Stylist that do not do that, well they are just out for the money, not the costomer!!!
    I know that the Client is the most important!!!
    My goal is to PLEASE ALL!!!
    You Sound if you are an angry X employee!!!
    If you got let go then there had to be a reason WHY!!!
    Please do not bash, that is unexceptiable as a STYLIST!!!

• La
    Laura LM Aug 08, 2009

This is down right ridiculous! I am not a stylist, however I have been to several different places and you will be able to find a bad stylist everywhere you go. Even the high end salons. Just last month, I went into a higher end salon for a cut and style. When I left, my hair looked terrible. She did a horrific job and charged me $50. And to top that she had terrible customer service skills. I later then went to Wal Mart and the stylist in there fixed it and charged me $12.95. Most of the stylists that work in Wal-Mart salons are great people with great talents. They have the same training as everyone else does. They should not be put into a class just because the salon they work for rents from Wal-Mart. Everyone out there who is degrading the stylists, get a life and get over yourself. And I have to say it George Porge, you sound completely ignorant! Smart Style ladies. Some of us out there do appreciate you and realize how hard you work. Thanks!

• Cu
    Customer consumer Aug 18, 2009

I can see both sides of the equation here. The problem is not with the customers and it is not with the stylists, the issue is the company (regis). Think about it, they do not treat their Stylist very good. The incentive to work is very low. Most the Stylist are there becuase they build good Clientel or because they enjoy it and sometimes, cause they have no choice.

The Wal-mart in my area has had one dedicated Stylist for 4 years now. Half the time she is the only one working and we are talking a 12 hour or more day on your feet adhering to other peoples request, plus dusting all the shelves, cleaning all the equipment and answering phones. There are no floor mats, because a customer tripped on one and sued, so the company (Regis) took them out. Now the Stylist have to be up on their feet with no padding. They have a high turn over, WHY??? If the company truly cared for their Stylist, then they would be making it so they were lining up at the door. These Stylist go to school and learn just as much as the next one.

Customers are getting ripped off on hidden costs and poor moral. Instead of fighting Customer vs Stylist, come together and fight the company, cause they are to blame. Both the Stylist and the customer should have what they want.

I have had bas experiences with Smart-Style and good experiances. However a family of five all needing haircuts can't afford a top dollar end salon. The purpose of Smart style is for families of our size and lower income individuals that need haircuts and want the same treatment and experiance they would recieve at a higher end salon. However, this is not always the case.

Call Regis and tell them they need to give more to the Stylist, so we can get more in return.