Walmartmotorized shopping carts

M Review updated:

I have a complaint about the motorized shopping carts for the disabled and handicapped. My elderly mother MUST use them to shop. Today she had to leave the store in TEARS, without her groceries, because the battery died in the middle of her shopping! AND this has happened BEFORE! The carts need NEW BATTERIES! And the seats are too high on them. Since Walmart got rid of the Door Greeters, the carts do not get plugged in very often. Walmart thinks they're saving money, but now there's NO ONE to stop the shoplifters at the door. And they're also losing money because people like my mother CANNOT SHOP due to the UNRELIABLE CARTS!!! This is DISCRIMINATION against HANDICAPPED PEOPLE!!!

• To
    tom burke Sep 17, 2019

The electric carts at my closest Walmart get stolen...Last year they were down to one...I waited 40 minutes for that one.I don't go to Walmart anymore, I order delivery.

• Re
    Red80 Mar 23, 2019

I just left the Walmart on Wheatland Rd Wheatland here in Dallas, TX as I was told they no longer have electric carts for the handicapped. I have a bad back and respiratory problems and can not walk very far as a result, therefore I could not shop for my groceries and other household items I needed. I hope this is a temporary thing. Walmart will loose the business of handicapped people and it really puts a burden on me and other handicapped people.

• Na
    Nancy Carmichael Collins Sep 21, 2018

Last month I was hit by a motorized shopping cart in Walmart. I was knocked down. I hit my head on a concrete floor and suffered a bruised elbow and two very sore and bad abrasions on my arm. The driver was not apprenended. The camera pics showed the accident and their rep said they assume no responsibility for this accident. I say BS... What say you???

• Ro
    roses2lisa Aug 18, 2018

There are always going to be people who find it fun & entertaining to flame other people who post anywhere they can to feed their need to hide behind the anonymity of their computers and be cruel. You know who you are & I encourage you to seek professional HELP to become a more empathetic member of society.
    I for one also dispise the electric kart joyriders.
    When I sit & wait at the front of a store for 30 minutes plus for an electric kart, it ticks me off to no end seeing a joyrider come through the checkout line.
    I'll usually say something like; "you look so young to be needing to ride an electric kart ... what's wrong hon?"
    I've been laughed at as they proceed to walk out of the store.
    Yesterday I was returning a Walmart kart to plug it in for the next needy customer. I was approached by a woman with 3 young girls that she was instructing to all get an electric kart. I gave up mine and added the comment; "If you're using these karts to joyride ... I don't approve". The woman raised her voice to me telling me; "Mind your own f*****g business".
    If I'd felt like getting into a confrontation with this highly irate woman, I'd have said; "As a disabled person, it makes it my business." I just kept on waddling out of the store with cane in hand.
    The non-impaired joyriders also know who they are ... and NO I don't approve of your unsympathetic views or actions.
    I've had a disabling autoimmune disease for over 10 years now. My disease causes intense chronic fatigue, a myriad of systemic illnesses, topped off with a bulging L5 disc.
    So yeah. Mean people suck.
    I can walk with my cane from my handicap parking space to the front of the store. But, even this can prove challenging on bad days.
    I then use one of the electric karts to shop the super stores such as Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot, Sam's and the like.
    If a store is too big for me to walk while I shop, I'll use my wheelchair.
    Have you ever tried to shop from a wheelchair? You can't hold too many things shopping from a wheelchair. Although I've gotten fairly good at holding with my left hand and wheeling with my right.
    I'm 55 years old, unemployed and waiting to hear back on my SSI.
    I cannot afford $3, 000.00 for an electric scooter and the special equipment needed on my car to tote it around.
    Telling someone to just go out and buy their own scooter is not an option for many of us. If you're able to shell out that kind of cash, count yourself lucky! But don't get ugly with those of us that can't.
    I'd gladly give up my handicap parking tag and usage of electric karts to any healthy person who cares to trade with me!
    Until such time that's possible, quit pissing on our disabled bodies and telling us it's just a bit of rain. (Yes, you've heard that line from the movie Avatar lol.)
    I also call the cops when I see a car with no handicap tag or plaquard laying in the car. I always check before calling.
    YES I make it my business!
    After all, the healthy JERK is breaking the LAW and denying a disabled person of their LAWFUL RIGHT to that parking space.
    Flame me if you must. Just know that I'm right and you're pathetic. Get some help.

• Ra
    Ralph DeLorme Nov 27, 2017

Riding carts in Walmart stores are dirty, some have half wheels, and the battery life is a joke. Yes, employees have rescued in many aisles when the battery has die. But that is not the point. If you off these carts, they should be reliable for my visit, not just to for five minutes and die.
    I have seen teenagers riding them and racing each other up and down aisles and employees just watch as if to see who is gonna win.
    I have my personal cart, but by the time I load and unload, I’m exhausted.

• Sh
    Shane Jones Oct 21, 2017

We go to Target mostly now...they have a TON of mobility carts & charged!!! Walmart doesn't seem to have or care as well. Therefore I don't "care" to support their business! It's THAT simple. So, it may or may not be " a law" but courtesy can go a long way.

• Su
    sunflowerman Dec 15, 2016

Walmart or other stores have a profit to make if they could realize the amount of people that are coming up that need a cart'
    About 10 years ago when I would shop with my parents I would help my mom find a cart.Sometimes the carts were at the other door or left in the parking lot.I think it would be good to put a person in charge of the carts they could work with the greeter.
    Now I have a bad hip and a knee on the other leg from a car accident and I have to use a cart.
    There is now law saying stores have to have electric carts. But if disabled and old can't get around and shop then nobody gets a benefit. The customer can't get what they want and the store doesn't make any money. There is a lot that can be done to improve the shopping experience. Just think about it! I have :)

• Sh
    Shugababe Dec 12, 2016

Max, I certainly agree with you. Please try to forgive most of the ignorant posters here, as they have no idea what they're talking about. I will soon be 70 years old. I have not only arthritis, but a bulging disc and many other problems in my back. I have to sit straight up in a chair, or suffer terrific pains. I am constantly trying to keep going, as after having been a nurse for almost 30 years, I have seen first hand, the people who give up and just eat pain pills. I have been determined not to be one of them. Believe it or not, driving my car is one of the few things I can do without pain; I drive whenever I can, as it helps to make me feel a little more independent.
    With all that said, I am NOT able to walk around Walmart and shop. I use a cane, and have tried to buy a little by just using their regular shopping carts; I pay the price by hurting for the next two days. It is not worth it. On several of my trips, I saw 4 carts broken down at the front of the store. The greeter told me that they only had five operable carts in the entire store. This has happened on more than one occasion. I have written letters to Walmart, and am yet to receive even an acknowledgement that they got my complaint.
    They don't mind taking my money, yet there are always broken carts up front. I thoroughly agree with you. America is graying, but we still need to shop. I have about decided to start shopping in smaller stores, where I don't have all the walking to do. If it were not for my husband, I don't know what we would do.
    Your mother is fortunate to at least have you. Stand by her, as you only get one mother in this life. God bless.

• De
    dexterlee May 23, 2016

I have never read so many rude uncaring opinions. Where is Jesus in your lives?

Ellp Oct 08, 2019

We can see Him in creation, & His son walked this earth 2, 000 yrs ago doing good, & most of all suffering unbelievedly & dying for our sins so we could spend eternity w/Him in paradise. That in itself is something to be very thankful for. Surely you &most everyone have something to be thankful for right here on earth. If you have fairly good health, can move around, look around & see beauty & have any family & friends, be grateful. I've had much pain in my life, but I still praise Him for the good things & even the bad as they bring me closer to Him. And I look forward to spending eternity w/Him in heaven where there will be no pain or tears. This life is short, eternity is forever. Our life on earth will soon be past, only what's done for Christ will last.

Ellp Oct 07, 2019

The Bible doesn't say that, but the Lord will help us if we turn to Him.

Anchors59 Mar 30, 2016

Amen. Like this.

• Ca
    carmelia johnson Mar 27, 2016

when we as people have compassion for ones disability is not of GOD and that why people like that conutinue to to be cold hearted and it ok.buit remember watch what you say..for you might end up like the ones you talk bout or your love one the tongue is to be cut of in the eyes if GOD>no wonder we kept falling SHORT of your own comings...bless your heart

Ellp Oct 07, 2019

Read the Bible. Our problems don't come from God, but from Satan because of man's fall. But God will help us if we ask him; and having caring people and automated carts, etc., can help even if we just need them temporarily. Love one another as I have loved you, Christ said.

• Kw
    Kwilliam Mar 25, 2016

I am a Walmart employee, and it's sad to say, 99.9% of the people who use them don't need to be. If you can walk from your car to the entrance without anything you don't need one. All you may need is a rollIng kart for support not one to sit down on, all that proves is your lazy. Their also not suppose to leave the store and to be plug up after each use but we cannot keep customers from leaving the store with them even if it's raining outside and you think weather doesn't take it's toll on the karts it does. Going from cold to warm wears out batteries fast and so will long periods of time in rainy weather.

Anon-thinker Aug 01, 2020

@Kwilliam There are those with invisable disablites that can't walk far.

Like myself I walk or stand for to long I pass out so are you saying I should just walk in by pass a motorized cart I do need and pass out ?

• Li
    Lil Pixie Mar 18, 2020

@Kwilliam I can walk into the store and look like I'm fine but that doesn't mean I don't need a scooter. Just because you can't see vascular disease or other disabilities, doesn't mean the person isn't disabled or is " LAZY ". You've got a lot to learn and could start with minding your own business and not judging people.

• Tr
    Tripmothafaka Oct 17, 2019

@Kwilliam you a discriminating walmart employee! i can walk to the front door but i cant walk clean to the back of a super walmart store pushing a shopping cart, i have scoliosis! you have no room to judge ! if your employer was to see that comment you own be an employee at Walmart !!! you dont know what 1 is feeling, leg pain, back pain can really make the ones shopping experience unpleasant! the ADA prohibits discriminating against a person with disabilities ! those carts must be charged and ready to use not all over the parking lot in the hot sun like i have seen at my local walmart!

• La
    Ladycj14 Mar 08, 2016

I disagree with all the crap tha comes out of people who hasn't experience anything like before. and for anyone to make such a negative comment that your choice, watch what you say you might end up just with those harsh words.people are all different and have different disabilities, one must always think of others and YES they should be taken care of with kindness and loveit what God wants.That why We fall short of God Glory>Help the Lord.they know not what they say..God Bless You All

• Cb
    cboyer1 Mar 30, 2015

I think it is beyond rude for anyone to call someone that is truly disabled.."FAT" because they need a motorized scooter. There are people that have them and there are people that don't because they can't afford them. People that truly need them, need them period! When you are in need of something and then you are told No because you are FAT then come back and write on here. Many people that need them are overweight because they are not able to lose the weight, whether it being because of illness or because of their medicines. You all better start thinking ahead because one day it will be you that is being told NO. You are suppose to treat people as you would want to be treated. Get it! I hope that all stores will have at least 10 carts if not more. That is not asking too much considering they are buying in your stores. Maybe you will think about this and realize that it is better to give then to receive. Maybe there will be less complaints and the world could be a little more brighter. Just remember your day in there shoes isn't too far away. Tears and sadness to all the ones that just want to have a fun day and it ends up ruining their week because someone wants to be mean. Does anyone remember the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes"? Remember the parking lot scene. Funny but not realistic? It's how they truly feel though and it's real and it hurts!

maxthecat Aug 19, 2012

You are a bunch of cold, heartless, uncaring people without an OUNCE of Compassion for the elderly!!! I'm glad You're not MY son or daughter, I'd hate to depend on you for anything! My sister used to work for Walmart and she KNOWS that motorized carts are provided by LAW, yes LAW, for the handicapped in the store!!! Get your facts straight! Also my mother CANNOT get an employee to bring her another cart when they ALL have dead or low batteries, the store doesn't have nearly enough carts! Also some door greeters do still work there, but they do NOT work at the DOOR! And since they do Not, I have not seen even ONE cop car there, and before, cops were there nearly every time I shopped! Shoplifting causes prices to rise, so you Should worry. It affects us ALL! And my mother Cannot afford her own motorized chair or cart, and she Cannot turn the wheels on a manual wheelchair due to crippling arthritis in her hands! She drives herself to the store but can barely walk from the car to the store. She has lung and heart disease and CANNOT stand on her feet very long at a time. She Must sit to shop. Someday you all WILL BE OLD and disabled, and how would you like it if people were cold and indifferent to YOU and your needs??????? Think about it. What goes around Comes around!

• Ra
    Rae_ Feb 26, 2020

@maxthecat walmart’s riding carts are a first come and first serve basis. when people leave them out the rain and cold this creates things such as non working batteries and other problems. there are people at the doors still, they care called customer hosts.. if you need help they are the ones to go to

• Do
    Donn65 Oct 09, 2017

@maxthecat I agree with you completely.

• He
    HeidiP Aug 09, 2012

Why couldn't your mother go get another cart or ask an employee to get one for her? If she was unable to finish her shopping because the battery died then how was she able to "get to and from" the store??? Makes no sense.

• Re
    Respected Member Aug 02, 2012

How does your mother get to the store in the first place?

Ellp Oct 07, 2019

@Respected Member Many handicapped people can drive but not walk long distances. I'm in that situation now due to a leg injury. I can drive to the store, but when I get there, many times all the carts are taken, & if there are, the ones available are old & rickety & shake up my leg & back, very uncomfortable! And I've also had them die on me in the store. I talked to a mgr there about this & even called the corporate ofc & was told they'd try & do something about it, but so far nothing. Walmart is a wealthy & large co. Looks like they'd care about their customers. I go to Target & can get a cart that runs smooth & isn't shaky. Wish Walmart cared more.