Complaints & Reviews

employee

The Walmart in Alpharetta, Georgia on WindWard Parkway has hired a known thief. The womans name is Jan...

charged twice

I went in on may 3, 2008 to tell them i was charged twice for an electric toothbrush and cd the manager...

bad experience

I bought a 32 inch colour TV from Wal-Mart a month and a half ago. I just moved about a week and a half ago...

telemartketing/scamming

I received a call, caller id showed Phoenix, AR [protected]). Rep. with strong accent stated that I had...

wal warranty

I on [protected] purchased a new hp laptop from wal - mart in harrisburg, illinois, my speakers sound like they are busted, i called wal - mart and ask them about this and i was told to contact hp direct well i did and i also purchased a two year service agreement i thought thru hp when i purchased the agreement but to find out it some other outfit in va. Wal mart sure doesn't tell you that when selling their computers so be aware, i want but no more electric products of any kind from wal - mart hp does not honer wal mart service agreement

vision center quality and service is a disaster!

I brought my own designer frames in and asked if they could fit them with lenses. They said no problem. The cost would be $80 per lens and a $20 processing fee, for a total of $180. After I gave them my money it was nothing but trouble. The first week I got a call that the lenses had to be sent back due to quality issues. The second week I drove to pick them up only to find out that it was the wrong prescription. The next week I got a call that the lenses came in too big. Two weeks after that I was told that they were in, went down to pick them up, only to find that the lenses were full of debris and when one of the attendants cleaned them up they ended up scratching the lenses due to the poor lens cutting job.

By this time I had had it. I must have spent over $30 in gas driving back and forth across the county over the month and a half they had my frames. The manager's reasoning (Andrel) for giving me a refund was that she was having to eat all the costs on these lenses and it was not worth it to her. Never mind that NONE of this was my fault. The manager was more interested in the bottom line than customer satisfaction. So, I went in to return the lenses yet again and the manager was not in. The vision attendant (Amanda) was extremely uncooperative and told me that she could not give me a refund because the manager was out to lunch and that I would have to wait for 30 minutes. I then asked her to call another manager to which she replied that another manager would not be able to help me. I then *insisted* that she call a manager to which she replied, "I really don't understand what the problem is with the glasses." Ummm, do they *train* these people in customer service??? Once again, I insisted on speaking to a manager. She picked up the phone and told me that there was no other manager in. So, I got up, walked down to customer service, and low and behold, there I found a manager!! Imagine that? A manager in a store! The manager was extremely sympathetic and issued me a refund of $160, to which I interjected that I paid $180. Amanda, the lazy, unhelpful attendant piped in that $20 was a non-refundable processing fee. To which I responded, "for what? Are you saying that I should pay you for holding my frames for a month and a half and continually putting in defective lenses???" Thank goodness the kind manager was still there and promptly refunded me the additional $20. So, for all that hassle I lost $30 in gas, hours in time, gained a high degree of frustration, and got my $250 designer frames back with scratches and off-kilter hinges which I am uncertain can be repaired. Everything they say about the Walmart Vision Center is true. They suck!!

• Am
    Amanda Oct 05, 2008

I never got my contacts from Walmart but now that I have been reading about how horrible the vison center is I decided that its worth driving 30 miles. I get them at BJ's in Belair and I had no problem. The only thing was driving there. It killed my gas. So I did some research about switching my prescription to walmart vison center but after reading so many complaints, im just going to continue to go to BJ's. and I found out its actually cheaper then welmart! I only pay $28 dollars for 3 months worth. And walmart charges so much more! Im sorry to hear that you wasted so much money at walmart. that really sucks. but if you have a prescription you can switch it to BJ's and I PROMISE you wont have any problem, and its soooo much cheaper!

• Na
    Nate Oct 16, 2008

Every retail chain will not be 100% to par. Every employee will not be the greatest and that's with any company. You can't please everyone. So that means there will be a complaint, I would say of about 95% of all businesses. I've had problems with certain retail chains, including Wal-Mart and BJ's, etc. I'm sorry for your encounter in that specific vision center. But I do not agree with the statement that ALL Wal-Mart vision centers suck. I have one near me and I take my family there every year and they have a very professional staff with a very good manager and excellent doctor. I have visited another Wal-Mart vision center before and the service there was horrible including the doctor. But that doesn't mean they all are. There are plenty of websites about complaining but what about complimenting?? I've had bad service plenty of times. I just dust my shoulders off and walk away and never go back there. I don't have time to be wasting complaining. Life is too short.

• Kr
    kristenjane Sep 02, 2009

I bought my glasses at Walmart, and after a few months had to take them back because the coating on them melted. The girl thought it was due to cleaning with hard water. They replaced the lenses and told me to clean them with alcahol (which I did). A couple of months later the same thing!!! It is sooo bad I cant even see out of them!!! Im going today, and they better replace them!!

Jason Thomas Sep 26, 2009

I bought my glasses from Walmart in Jonesboro, Ga. After 4 months or so my lense popped out the frame broke. I paid close to $300 for the glasses. After I got home I noticed more closely that the glasses were not the same only the color . I had no transitional lenses and the style of the glasses was completely different-I immediatly took them back and they insisted that the glasses were the same. I blame myself for not paying closer attention. I did complain to the Walmart 800 # so I will see how far that goes. I am going to get my prescription and take it somewhere else.

imitation beef!

My husband and I purchased over two hundred dollars worth of groceries today. We had intentions of enjoying a good steak. We paid $14.50 for 2 packs of new york strip. Each pack had two steaks. Each set of steaks had each steak shaped differently.
We also had my sister and brother in law have a steak as well. Out of each steak package one of the two steaks were not the same meat. their texture were different, and tasted imitation, and was very gross. My husband being a owner of a meat business, recognized off hand that the imitation steak was different than his. We feel that walmart intentionally placed a good steak and a bad steak per package. It makes sense because the price was so good. We will never ever buy steak again, and this happened about 2-3 years ago, and we said nothing.

Someone is screwing around in the meat cutting room and switching steaks. Please look into this. This also happened in the walmart store in Arcadia, Fl. Thank you. Catherine Douglas.

• Mi
    mike lother May 19, 2008

How can you sell package meat's full of carbonation & spoilage?
    I may get food stamps but that doesn't mean I've got to get
    sick eating it. Just because you advertise you got low prices
    that doesn't mean you got to take away from some of your
    other prices.

• Ar
    arthurincanada Sep 09, 2009

Your husband owns a meat business, and you're buying 14 dollar steaks at WalMart? Your whole story sounds phony. My guess is your a fat, lonely housewife with nothing better to do.

• Hy
    hygfvb Sep 09, 2009

wallmart meat is horrible! i bought a pack of cube steaks and it was not real steak, and it was so full of red dye .

• Ka
    karissatx Feb 16, 2011

We had a similar experience with New York strips at Wal-Mart. we normally don't buy groceries there, but since we were there for something else, i decided to make an exception. the steaks LOOKED great, but when i cooked one last night, it had a weird texture, and like another person described was almost ham-like. it was too weird and my husband wouldn't eat it. so we won't be grocery shopping there again - their produce isn't the greatest anyway, so it's not worth the trip to save a few dollars.

• Yu
    Yulia Gaia Sep 26, 2013

I too purchased the "new york strip" steak, from the start the meat was slimy and my fingers slipped right through it. But stupidly i cooked it and it made my roommate and I throw up and was sick for about 3 days. Yesterday I returned the remains to the Ukiah Calif Walmart Store and since I didnt have a recpt the cashier at the "Customer Service Counter" who was standing there with a "closed" sign on the counter, told me no they couldnt refund the money. So the CSR Lindsey came up and didnt bother to hear the reason and just smiled and said No sorry cant return without a receipt . I then asked for the Store Manager Drew, who came up and I explained how bad the product was, how sick I got, and in fact they were falsely advertising a meat product which in fact contained no meat and was a soy based product. He read the back and then said to the "Customer Service" cashier to refund the amount.
    What was sad was the pleasure the CSR Lindsey took in refusing to help and denying a product to be returned.

fabrics & related merchandise!

I was extremely disappointed and irritated when I went to my LOCAL Walmart to find fabric for some sewing projects I wanted to do this spring. To my dismay, ALL of the fabric was gone and selected notions were being marked 1/2 off. We are located 60 miles from a major city and 30+ miles from slightly larger cities than ours. My question is, "Are all of the Walmart stores doing away with this important department or only in a few select sites?" It is a major inconvenience for me and many others to have to drive so far to get material. No other store in our local area sells regular fabric. I am so upset and disappointed with this action by Walmart, I am seriously considering taking my other shopping elsewhere, i.c., Dollar General, Kroger, Food City, K-Mart, Big Lots, etc. If enough people take this action, you might re-consider what small mountain towns in Tennessee need.

It would be appreciated if you would let me know if any other Walmart stores in this area are continuing to carry fabric and notions. Jo Ann Shaffer, Crossville, TN.

• Sr
    srewedbydg May 01, 2008

THE NEW LAYOUTS FOR WALMART SUCK HARD

• He
    Heather Jun 17, 2008

I totally agree with what you are saying. I say this in regards to my mom who also lives in a small town and has to drive at least an hour to get to a sewing store (besides Walmart). Her Walmart is still carrying fabrics and craft supplies at the moment, however certain things are being discontinued like embroidery floss. She was very upset over this, and now I have to find the colors that she is looking for and send them to her. I hope that they will think a little bit more of their actions more, before they completely eliminated this area of business.

• St
    Stephon Feb 10, 2009

i have to disagree, its all about supply and demand if there aren't enough people needing/wanting the product and that section of the store then they should pull it out, even if there 2000 people shopping in that part of the store that still wouldn't be enough to keep that section

lcyoro Jun 23, 2009

I used to live over 100 miles from nowhere and just made a monthly trip to the city. You can't please everybody, but you can sure tru to please the majority. And just think, if Wal-mart doesn't have that section anymore, it will keep a small business going!

lcyoro Jun 24, 2009

The Walmart in my city is NOT a Super Walmart and they still have a Craft and Fabric Department!

discrimination at walmart

The last few times I have shopped at Walmart I have been accosted as I leave the store by an employee demanding to see my receipt. Normally I would not take offense; however, I am white and the employee is an African-American woman who works there every Sunday and she does not stop other African-American shoppers and demand to see their receipts. In addition, I have shopped at other Walmarts and they do not stop you as you are leaving demanding to see your receipt. If this is a practice that they are going to continue then it needs to be consistent. Every single person should be stopped and have their merchandise counted (i.e. Costco). I feel that I was being singled out and discriminated against since I am white and the store is in a hispanic neighborhood. My father is a retired judge and we are looking into if this violates my civil rights.

• Ca
    Carver Mar 21, 2008

NOT A COMPLAINT

But an explanation.

Since I wasn't there, man, I really can't even begin to like fathom what took place.
    I do know that like if you have an uncovered item (like something big, or bulky) in your cart, that sometimes triggers a response from the greeter, dude.
    Other than this, I can't really say, for like sure, why she stopped you. Some of them do, admittedly, have a loose wheel here or there. Sorry you were axed like that and stuff, man.

• Su
    sunnie Mar 12, 2009

I have seen this more and more. I guess being white and the MINORITY
    now we can use the WHITE CARD now!!!

• Wa
    wallmartgotohell Sep 02, 2009

###s have to get back at the whites some how lol

• Fu
    funnygirl Dec 12, 2009

This is usually caused by something that you have purchased (usually pop...LOL). You were not targeted for anything, unless of course you needed that 2.5 second receipt check to run to your car. Nothing you bought is secretive and it isn't like she asked for your i.d. She asked for a receipt that you were handed by Walmart not more than 2 minutes beforehand. Our local store employees seem more so to do this at night. One night I even had a greeter watch the cashier check us out, we took maybe 10 steps toward her and she asked to see the receipt. It's not just you and good luck with the civil rights thing...maybe if she had said "Hey cracker let me see that receipt". Has nothing to do with color and you are going to find in the long run that it has nothing to do with who or what your daddy is or was. They ask to see a lot of receipts and unless you spend the entire day standing right by the door to walmart, you probably will never see them check another receipt. If the walmart is in a predominantly Hispanic neighborhood and you are white, I would think that this would sound really good if you said she was hispanic. You are trying to make a case out of nothing. BTW no one cares what your daddy used to do. This woman did nothing wrong and it is not out of the ordinary at wal mart to be asked to see your receipt. My advice to you, shop somewhere else and you stop trying to legally accost the employees at wal mart.

• Je
    Jenny12 Dec 14, 2009

Walmart has a greeter at the door for the sole purpose of checking receipts. If an item is not bagged it is ALWAYS Walmart's policy to check the receipt. They also do random checks...

• Ti
    TiredofAwful Service Mar 13, 2010

Oh, I think this is a very grevious action to take by Walmart, considering we wait in line almost 30 minutes sometimes to get checked out!

I mean, come on, you come out of a shopping line, with ALL your stuff in a walmart bag, most of the entrances are rather close to the cash registars.

I hate when they do that, and I don't even care if the greeter is white, black, chinese!

They need to stop treating their customers like they are common criminals or else I don't want to shop there no more!

• Un
    Universaltorment Apr 19, 2010

Okay firstly, I used to work at Walmart as a cashier. Luckly my store had very friendly employees and the greeters who were of all color and age. We had all types of shoppers. Sometimes we were short of cashiers, so customers would stand in line longer than usual, become agitated from the wait and want nothing but to check out and go home. But the greeters are trained to ask for a reciept from anyone leaving the store with any item not in a shopping bag. Doesn't matter if they see with their own two eyes the customer paying for, let's say a 24 pack of toliet paper, when they approach that door they are required to ask for a reciept. It's to make the cameras and the store owner/managers/corporation happy. You just paid for your items and requested not to have it bagged, while someone else just dropped it into a cart and walked out, laughing at the idiots who just gave him a free -insert item here-. It's just their job. Maybe your a mechanic who works on cars. Maybe your a cook and you work with food. A Walmart door greeters job is to welcome the customer, make sure you paid for your merchendise and to give directions to whatever item you might ask for walking Into the store. sure there's some rude workers who could be predjudice, inconsiderate or could jus be having a crappy day, and you just accidently caught in the crossfire. And then again I've seen a guy running around the store, pushing women and senior employees making a mad dash to the exit just because they stole a cd. So you know the next time a door greeter asks you for your reciept, just take the 5 seconds out of your busy important life to hand them a piece of paper. It's just part of their job. Don't make it so difficult and ruin a persons day by being an ###. And treat your cashiers good, remember your parents taught you 'treat others how you want to be treated' for a reason. Karmas a ###.

• Hg
    hgibbs51 Sep 14, 2010

Walmart absolutely DOES practice discrimination when it comes to asking customers for their receipt as they are leaving the store. At first I also thought it had something to do with whether an item was bagged or not- but it doesn't. My husband and I- ( white and in our late fifties) are NEVER asked to show our receipts. I don't care what we've bought. However, any Hispanic person (and there are many in our town) is asked for his receipt. It doesn't matter whether all of his items are bagged or not. My husband and I have talked about it several times. And trust me- if I were Hispanic and asked to produce a receipt and the older white couple were just waved through the door- I would be livid and yelling about discrimination.

• Ka
    kandice517 Apr 08, 2011

I work at walmart and it really annoys me how when i check out a customer (RIGHT IN FRONT OF A GREETER), and they have something like a vaccum, tv, video game, or dvd that will always set off the door alarms, the greeters still hound them for receipts! I understand the whole 'only doing my job' thing, but when you WATCH the customer check out, just LEAVE THEM ALONE!

poor attitude and terrible service!

I recently had my 2 sons pictures taken at this Walmart Picture Me Studio. Everything went great. They both smiled in each of their pictures and the photographer was great too! My husband and I picked out the pictures and packages that we wanted and then we were told we could pick up these pictures on March 4th. Great, just in time for Easter. Well, when March 4th arrived, I went to pick up the pictures at the designated time and was told by the associate that the pictures weren't there and she had no idea where they were. She had the personality of a leech let me tell you!! She wasn't about to go out of her way for anybody, and if she smiled, I think her face would've cracked. After several minutes of waiting in line behind another lady who was told the same thing about her picture package not being there and 2 unhappy children who were ready for naps, I wasn't exactly too happy when I was told that my pictures weren't there and all that could be done was to re-order the pictures. Are you kidding me!? No let me call someone or the manager, no apologies, no nothing!! Just... there's nothing I can do, except re-order the pictures. Come on, this is why it's bologna to pay for anything before you have the actual item in your hand! I paid over $100 for these pictures and now no pictures?! I just wanted to tell this girl where she could go, but I thought better of it because my 2 boys were with me. Then when I asked for a manager's phone number, all I got was... I can only give you our store number! Ah, HELLO, I'M IN THE STORE RIGHT NOW!! What good was it to give me the store number when no manager was even to be seen. This associate really has no business being in this line of work if she has no people skills. I eventually just walked away from her because she was getting me more and more upset and I knew that even if these pictures were re-ordered, I wasn't going to have them for the gifts on which they were intended. So for all you people out there planning on getting your photos done in this studio, (1) make sure that this girl isn't working on the day of your shoot and (2) make sure you actually receive your pictures on the day that they were intended to arrive.

• Ni
    nikki Apr 21, 2008

Uh oh.. should have found this before goint to walmart to pick up the pictures.. i think that i may have found the same personality queen that you had.. I too was told that the pictures weren't there, nor did she have any idea as to when they would be in.. how does that happen??

shoddy oil change service!

Took 2 cars to Walmart (old one in town) and selected Value Package Oil Service.

Car 1 - found fluids not topped as in plan, no vacuum cleaning of interiors, no windshield clean and no window shield washer fluid added. Also found some charges for battery terminals that were unchanged... So took back and technician checked and added transmission fluid and had battery charges reversed.

Car 2 - Oil was black!!! as if not changed at all, no vacuum of interior, no windscreen clean, no topping of fluids, so took it back and manager said it did not look okay (oil being black) and that he would have the oil change done again for free. Also promised to top off all the fluids as required. Later found that the fluids were again not topped. But oil change was done second time for free.

I will never go to Walmart for oil change again. Do not know how many times they did this earlier... with inexperienced or non professional technicians. The technicians seem like temps. Last time I went for oil change, they replaced my battery with a new incorrect battery and did not even fix it. Upon noticing that the clock had reset in the car, I checked hood and found the problem. Spoke to manager... who had my old good battery put back and gave the replaced battery to me for free as 1). It was tech fault to replace battery and put incorrect battery and also not connect the clamps back again on the car 2.) They could not sell the battery again.

• Mi
    Mike Mullins May 13, 2008

I have had a similar experience here in Lubbock Tx.
    I'll never use them again.

• Bo
    Bob the Tech. Jun 09, 2008

You went to Wal*Mart and got bad service at their garage... are you surprised?! It's Wal*Mart!

You go to wal*mart for cheap, Chinese-made junk not quality auto service. Sears looks down at Wal*mart for cryin' out loud!

• Ro
    rocio horan Nov 06, 2008

Had oil changed and noticed on listed paperwork they had checked my air filter. Knowing last year filter was getting dirty and living near numerous construction site, I asked if it was okay. I was told that they checked it and must be okay. Asked person who actually worked on the car and was told no, they did not check it. I was told it was not convient to get too ? I guess they do not have a screwdrivers at walmart or unable to unscrew several screws? I noticed several other things marked as checked. I am sorry but will not ever go back NOT CONVIENT !

• To
    Tom May 12, 2009

Wal Mart are true capitalists. Take all you can get and screw anyone or everyone if they complain. No integrity and definitely no quality. They forgot to put oil in my car resulting in blown engine!

• Li
    Liz May 27, 2009

I agree. Don't go to Wal-Mart for car work.

• Me
    meebabi Dec 04, 2009

OMG! I had paid the extra $5 or so to have ALL of my fluids topped up during my oil change because i was going out of town the next day. Of course I wasn't even 10 miles out of town & I was out of antifreeze (and no, I did not have a leak)! ALSO: I was extremely low on windshield wiper fluid. Yes, I could have easily topped up these fluids myself but I had so many things to do before the trip & thought I would save myself the hassle for a few extra bucks.

nolan420 Aug 03, 2010

Man i remember here in yakima when they were using supertech. You used to be able to buy that at the dollar store.

push/spit on/threatin/yelld at/hit

hi im a mother of 3 small children in need of help !! heres what happen to me in a walmart ,i was shopping...

they will get my business any more

We carried our SUV in for oil change & rotate our tires & had two fix one tire. There were 4 workers & one supervisor out there. There was only one worker, working at a time. Our SUV was on the workfloor over 1 1/2 hours that no one was getting anything done. We shop for about an hour, then went back two the service department & sat there four about one & half hours before they finally got through. While we were waiting they all had two take a break at one time. When we got there they told us it would not take about 1 hour to do what we wanted. I don't think they will get my business any more unless they change.

discrimination!

My brother was returning a pair of jeans at the Wal-Mart in Jackson, KY. He did not have a receipt for these jeans, and just wanted a gift card or exchange. The customer before him in line, an older lady, was returning an older telephone without the receipt, without the box, or anything. The associates gave her CASH back for this telephone. then, my brother (25 yrs. old) took the jeans to the counter. There was nothing wrong with the jeans, except they didn't fit him. They were Brand New with tags and UPC code. The lady behind the counter (Diane) told him, 'We don't give exchanges/gift cards without receipts!' He said, 'well, the lady ahead of me brought back that phone without the receipt or even the box it came in and you gave her cash!' then a manager (Paul) stepped over and my brother explained the situation, and the mgr. said, 'No... no returns without receipts!' then, my brother said, 'look at that phone sitting there... a lady brought that in with no receipt or even a box and they gave her cash!' the mgr. said, 'Well, it didn't go through me.' My brother asked 'well, why does this return have to go through you, then?' the mgr couldn't give an answer.

About 15 minutes later, I took the jeans back (again, no receipt) into the store and they gave me a gift card for them... no questions asked! This is obvious discrimination!

• Ba
    bat Dec 31, 2008

Were they discriminating his age? I have more than 5 walmart stores within 30 minutes of my house and all of them have the return policy on the wall behind the counter. its a very large board so it can be read from the customer side of the counter. Your brother should have told the ignorant employees to read and learn the policy.

• Kn
    knreeves Sep 27, 2009

I would make sure everyone knows about this. Get as high up as you can. That is horrible.

credit limit decrease

I have had a wal-mart credit card for approximately three years. Always paid on time,twice has been paid off...

horrible service as usual!

Ok every time i go to wal-mart i leave so angry. I refuse to go back and this is what everybody should do. you cannot find anybody to help you if something is not out and you ask about it the lazy ### don't even go check. the say they are a leading employer for diversity employees. They get a freaking tax break to have more blacks, mexicans, elderly, woman, and mentally unstable employees. They can sell bigger things for less money because they now work orders so many out of this country. They use a slogan of cheaper things for americans but really little by little they are causing americans to eventually lose jobs. there diversity hiring is pushed so much and believe me i am a marketer and they put it in the spotlight so people will be like oh thats so nice when really its TAX breaks whats wrong with hiring good employees regardless of focusing on there color or ethnic background. The employees they do have suck they do not help by any means they stand around and have 30 lanes but 4 running nobody is helpful and i have been in there stores and heard employees ### about there employers and god forbid they are only getting paid 10.50 and hour which a lot of people would be more than willing to work for that and do there job with a smile. 3 times i had bought something 1. shoes 2. shirt and 3. A can of popcorn at all different times i kept the receipt. In one day the shoes ripped with in the hour and they refused to refund or exchange, the shirt had a stain on the inside of the sleeve the tags still on and same day as purchased i went in they refused to help again and the third the can of popcorn was empty again no help.

This country is always complaining about out sourcing, gas prices, and overall increase in living expenses. Shopping at wal-mart adds a tiny needle into the haystack that will eventually be all needles and no hay at all in the long run. So for those who would like to stop out sourcing jobs and help economy become what it should of been a long time ago. We are heading into a recession and then maybe another depression. Stop it now every little thing you do affects this country every vote counts, every purchase counts, and to stop shopping at wal-mart would help eventually. Wal-mart does not really care about consumers and every customer. Lets stop caring about them.

• Ki
    kimberly young Jan 06, 2008

i am strongly agree with this, every time i go to shop at Walmart i never get any help and the people work there they try to walk away when we have questions included with all the cashier they are rude and never know how to smile to customer the reason so many people are going to their store because it is cheaper than other. hopefully Walmart will take this serious and show their employee how to respect customer

lcyoro Jun 23, 2009

You say every time you shop at walmart you get so angry you don't go back. Obviously you do, so don't!

fraud and cheating!

Consumers Beware, don't purchase Walmart Black Friday Doorbuster specials on anything you may have to return. This is what happened to me. I purchased an Emerson 19" LCD HDTV on Black Friday for $198.00 for my son as a Christmas Gift. The purchase was made at the Clarksburg, WV store. When we opened it and hooked it up on Christmas, it didn't work. We had sound but no picture. We boxed it back up and with receipt in hand, I returned it the day after Christmas to the same store as purchased. To my delight, there was no line for returns! I told the cashier the problem with the TV and that I wanted to exchange it for another one. She scanned the TV and my receipt, and cheerfully told me I was in luck because that particular TV was still on sale. Her comment confused me somewhat, since I only wanted to exchange it for the exact model I wasn't sure what that would have to do with anything. She said since that was the case she would issue me a cash refund, and I could just go back and repurchase another one.

My two sons and I headed back to the electronics dept. and quickly located the same TV. However, when I looked at the price, it stated $287.oo. We put the TV in the cart and took it to the register in the electronics dept. and asked a nice young man there to scan it. I explained the situation to him, and after scanning the TV he said it had a different SKU and that it was the same model, but they change the SKU after black friday. The department head whose name was Bonnie came over, and we explained to her that I wanted to "exchange" and that it was the same TV. She very rudely stated NO, and said that was just how it was. If I wanted that TV, I would have to pay the difference. I could not believe what I was hearing. How can they do that? She said black friday specials have different SKU numbers, even though they are the same item, and it was that way at any store, not just Walmart. I disagreed with her, and after telling her that I doubted that other stores had that same practice, decided I would take my $$ and buy a TV elsewhere, even if I had to pay more. On the way out of the store, with my 18 year old son prompting me, we stopped to speak to an assistant store manager. I explained everything to him, thinking all the while that something is very wrong, and I'm sure he'll fix it. After making a call back to electronics, he told me No sorry, that was just how it was, and it was Walmart's policy. So I proceed to ask him if what he is saying is that Walmart purchases items from wholesalers, stocks them for Black Friday at discounted prices, then changes the SKU and increases the price afterwards. THEN, when innocent consumers purchase items that don't work, return them WITH receipt and ask to just exchange for the exact same item, they cannot because the SKU and price are different. If the consumer wants the same item they must pay the difference?? HE ANSWERED YES THAT IS WALMART'S PRACTICE.

I gave him an earful, as well as the people in close proximity to me, and went over to speak to my Mother who works there, and was going on lunch break. I told her about the issue, and after she returned from clocking out, she said she spoke to another manager and that she wanted to speak to me. I went to her, and told her the problem, and she did say that although it was not company policy, she would make it right. I followed her to electronics, and she did help me and make it right by giving me the EXACT SAME TV WITH A DIFFERENT SKU AND PRICE, for my original purchase price. However, I might add that while she was doing the override on the electronics department register, BONNIE, the dept. head was there and put her rudeness back to work by stating that she didn't know why I was getting to do that when they wouldn't even do it for associates. If I were her boss, she would have been fired immediately for saying that in front of a customer. WE GOT THE TV, AND IT WORKS, SO THANKS FRANCIE FOR YOUR HELP, YOU ARE GREAT. The rest of WALMART can kiss my @**, cause I'm taking the roughly $10,000 I spend annually there somewhere else. DO NOT BUY BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS AT WALMART IF YOU MAY HAVE TO RETURN THEM. BETTER YET DON'T BUY THEM AT ALL!!!

Jacob Sep 15, 2007

In Independence, MO, Wal-mart seems to have implemented some fairly extreme methods of shoplifting prevention. I say this, because I have been detained at the store on two separate occasions until I have shown proof of purchase for each item and the item itself.

On the first occasion, I purchased a $13 dollar game controller. I was asked to show my receipt by an employee as I was leaving the store. I kindly said no thanks, and continued outside. Although no alarm went off when exiting, a security guard followed me out of the store and demanded that he be shown the contents of the bag I was carrying. I refused, at which point he took the bag from my hand and searched through it himself. After removing the contents of the bag he asked where my receipt was. Unfortunately, the electronics employee had stapled the receipt onto the bag. Somewhere the receipt had fallen off. It could have been when the security guard took the bag.

At this point, he was sure that I had stolen the item and escorted me back into the building. I identified the teller that checked me out, and he said that I had purchased the item. I was still unable to leave though. I was informed that they had to look the purchase up in the database before I was allowed to leave. Thirty minutes later, I was allowed to leave the store with my game controller after they printed off another receipt which they then made me show the person at the front.

On the second occasion, Wal-mart was the only store open at 1 am, so against my better judgment I stopped there to pick up an electronics device that I needed. To my amazement, a similar thing occurred. As I was leaving the store, I was again stopped by a security guard. This one had actually seen me make the purchase for the item I was carrying. He had seen the lady put the product in the bag. He told me that he needed to see what was in my bag. I refused to show him what was in the bag, but I produced a receipt of my purchase. He said it wasn't good enough, and that they needed to check the contents of the bag. Again I refused, and sure enough it was taken from my hand. He then handed it to another person which took the item somewhere else, brought it back, and then said it was "ok". I was then able to leave.

I figured the first time was just unluckiness and some ill-informed employees. After happening two times in a row, I am convinced that this is store policy. The security guards dress in attire similar to police officers and carry a very intimidating tone. They are brutes. I called the store manager, and he just ignored me. I'm waiting until tomorrow to get in contact with someone higher up.

• Hk
    H.K.S May 13, 2008

You should have showed your receipt to begin with ...what was the big deal?? That just showed a suspicious cause to detain you right there...DONT BE A SMART ### NEXT TIME...SHOW THE DAMN RECEIPT AND MOVE ON!!!...you are the kind of people that makes it hard on others when we shop ...GET OVER IT AND GROW UP!!!

marjorie davies May 19, 2008

I was in your Boone Wal-Mart store on Sunday, May 18th, and overheard a conversation between two gentlemen in your photo center. One gentleman was taunting the other about a hickie on his neck. The young man was gay from the conversation that was taking place and the other man was being very vulgar and making derogatory remarks about his being gay. It was so bad I almost said something to the gentleman but then I thought I should talk to a manager about the situation. I asked for the store manager but he was not in. I was told that I could speak to the manager of the department and when I asked to have him paged they directed me to the gentleman in the photolab!!! Alan, the manager was the one who was making gay bashing comments to his underling Spencer. I could not comment to him but thought that someone should know about this. I may even go to a gay and lesbian website with this complaint because a manager should not bash an employee because of their sexual preference.

• Bo
    Bonnie J. Barton Jun 15, 2008

I was recently invited to a baby shower for twins. June 12th, I purchased two winnie the pooh pack and plays at your Gloversville, New York Store. When the boxes were opened, June 14th one box had shoes, clothes, a salt and pepper shaker, and other random items. This was extremely embarasing. I had to return the box of random items for a refund. We live and hour from the store. They are temporarily out of stock so I have to drive an hour again to purchase another one. This has not only been extremely embarasing, but with the gas prices very expensive.

Sandy Oleesky Jul 05, 2008

I have a Wal Mart credit card. Why is it that when I go into the local Wal Mart to make a payment I’m told the date on the check MUST be that day’s date? When I receive your statement I write out a check using that day’s date, this keeps my records in order. Now I might not go to Wal Mart for several days, I do at least 90% of my shopping at Wal Mart, so when I present the check for payment why will it not be accepted until I change the date? I can understand not accepting a post dated check, that is with a future date, but what is wrong with my payment...

• Gh
    Ghostbuster Ross Oct 25, 2008

The big deal is they can't force somoene to show the receipt unless they have absolute proof that something was stolen.

• Di
    Dick Dec 04, 2008

you are absolutely right .Wal mart is become No Smart

restriction on my card!

I received a Walmart credit card with this company. I had a $200.00 credit limit. I had a credit balance of...

Bad service!

On December 07, 2007 I ordered the Celestine Prophecy from walmart.com and opted to use their site to store...

harassment and false accusations!

I was a former associate @ #1104 was discharged/fired for unknown reasons. After being discharged, everytime...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices