Walgreenswhy do we have to pay for a flu shot?

I don't understand why they give the pharmisist the flu vaccine for free but make there technicians and store staff have to pay they put all this extra work on us with no extra help you think they could give us the vaccine also. I talk with other people and there employers pay for theres. All this company thinks about is money, money, money, this is the first year they have there pharmisist giving flu shots and braging about how much there making makes me even more angry!!! I have worked for this company for a long time. My next complaint is we do not get are 15 minute breaks. And with all this extra work, it is getting harder and harder to go to work each day I'm tired!!! WE NEVER GET ARE BREAKS!!!

• El
    Elyk Sep 25, 2009

I am an employee for Walgreens. Even if you do not receive your vaccinations for free, you do receive a huge discount compared to what customers must pay - $10 compared to $24, that's almost 60% off. As for breaks, different states have different laws on requirements for breaks and lunches. I'd check the laws in your state - however, I checked the policy on the employee website (which you can access with your storenet sign-on, employee.walgreens.com) and it states as follows:
    "Meal and Rest Periods

Walgreens maintains a policy to ensure that hourly employees are given a reasonable amount of break time during their shifts. If you are an hourly employee, the following applies to you.
    Rest Periods (Breaks)

If you work more than four hours in a day, you will be given one 15-minute paid rest period. If you work at least eight hours in a day, you will be given two 15-minute paid rest periods.

Meal Periods

If you work more than five hours in a day, you will be given a 30-minute unpaid, uninterrupted meal period. Your meal period will begin no less than two hours and no more than five hours from the start of your shift.

If you work three or more hours of overtime during a single workday, you will be given a 30-minute unpaid, uninterrupted meal period before or during your overtime period.

Your time spent on a meal period is not considered working time as long as you were completely relieved from duty for your entire meal period. If you are asked to return to work before the end of your meal period, you will be paid as if you had worked your entire meal period. "

If they're not allowing you breaks they're not following corporate policy, and you could complain to upper management. There are resources which should be posted in the breakroom or office with a number to call and report or complain.

• Ra
    rayj467 Sep 26, 2009

Wow...so let me see. Pharmacists make an average of $110 K per year. That's more than 2X what the average store manager now makes...and as for the lowly cashiers, photo techs and the like
    well we make an embarassingly low amount PER hour...
    and yet...Walgreens in their infinite wisdom has decided to give the highest paid employees in the entire store the vaccines for free?!

Hmmmm without me, and my lowly counterparts...well the store wouldn't be able to function should a flu epidemic really occur...so how can they justify this?!
    For me to pay for my flu shot..it's the equivalent of me working for aprox. an hour and a half (before taxs).
    Who ever comes up w/ ridiculous ideas like this should be fired.