Resolved Walgreensfired

J

My name is Jon; I joined the Walgreens management team in January 2008 and was recently discharged. During the two years that I worked for the company I’ve noticed that in many cases that justice is handed out totally at the discretion for the Manager there at the moment, is this Walgreens policy?

It is strange to me that nothing in my history with Walgreens was taken into account prior to making the decision to dismiss me. The fact that I had nothing but GOOD customer feedbacks and my last evaluation I was rated as exceeding standards seemed to mean nothing, is that policy of Walgreens?

I’m a retired vet and in the military issues are black and white for the most part. If someone isn’t performing their duties you talk with the person and have them correct it, you don’t discharge them with on warning and you always look at the person history to see if this is out of character for them since there may be another problem behind the situation.

I my case I admitted to loosing my temper with and employee and yelling at her. The situation started when a customer approached me complaining that she had been sitting in the drive-thru for 20 to 30 minutes and the pharmacist was ignoring her. The customer walked to the pharmacy to talk to the pharmacist face to face and 30 to 60 seconds later the pharmacist called for me to come to the pharmacy. I called her and said I know what it was about and to handle it, she hadn’t even tried if it had been less than a minute. Then she called the clerk at the front register and had them call me, at that time I when to the pharmacy and that was what I lost my temper, she didn’t even attempt to handle the situation. When I arrived the customer in question was standing back at the wait here line several feet from the register, waiting.

I, and other MGT’s, had complained to the Store Manager on many occasions about this one pharmacist, that she has problems working alone and if a customer becomes upset, whether rightly or wrongly she tends to make the situation worse. Even her communication skills with us the MGT’s is questionable, so I can understand how the customers may become upset. Just the night prior to this situation I had problems with her communicating with me, I was assisting a customer in the drive-thru, I had to ask three times what the wait time was because the pharmacist, three times, talked about other customers in the store and that she was busy. I affirmed that she was busy but that wasn’t answering my question, the customer wanted to know what to come back.

In my situation I admitted to getting angry and loosing my temper. This was the first and only time I did, and that seemed to be forgotten in this. I’m known for keeping my cool in very, very stressful situations, in fact my store, at the time #925 in Tucson AZ, I was robbed at gun point. I had two mask gunmen come in point a gun in my face and made me empty the safe. Even in that situation I had the frame of mind to lead them to the office in a way that they wouldn’t see my co-worker, another MGT, so he could get away and call 911. We then moved to a new store “10879 and may of the problems we faced in the old one where gone. So please believe me when I say that when I lost my temper that night it was months of handling customer complains on this one pharmacist and reporting problems and nothing happening to correct it.

I was told I created a hostile work environment; the definition that I read this doesn’t fit. There must be more than one instance to create an “environment”. Also trying to correct a performance problem is no where in the description. I have started to consider that there may be other reasons why the manager decided to dismiss me instead of other actions, it could have been a personal thing or may because I was openly gay and he had a problem with that. I would have considered moving if he had personal reasons for keeping the pharmacist. This would have been bothersome for me since my store was a 5 minute walk and I love my area, but I would have moved if need be.

I loved my new career at Walgreens, I’m the kind of person that says and always tries to make improvements. I retired after 20 years in the US Air Force and I thought I found a career that suited me and that I could feel proud of. I feel that not having any appeal process is wrong and hope this can and would be corrected.

• Er
    Erik Wild Jun 28, 2010

walgreens doesn't care about it's employees, thing is, you make the wrong person mad you're gone, i still work at walgreens but was hired in as an MGT in 2006 and demoted in early 2009 because of my "performance" never once received a does not meet expectations. always meets or exceeds, showed up to work every day, never called in sick, never went home sick, worked hard, employees respected me...that was the problem, they respected me and not the store manager, Dennis Skaanning is a douche bag, I requested a transfer because he singled me out and made my life hell, there fore it was my fault and Tim Kjol, our "Community Leader" and Terry Harper decided I was a problem manager, wrote me up and transfered me under the "probationary period" type of thing. worked hard at the new store, same thing there, employees worked hard for me, i worked hard, but I didn't put up one sign one day, and boom, next week demoted to a photo specialist. that was about a year and a few months ago. since then i've had one performance review and who'd of thunk it, exceeds expectations all over the thing, the new store manager i work for, cassandra dierks is pretty awesome, willing to teach and mentor and help people get to where they want to be, so fear not, not all managers are bad, but in my experience, a big chunk are, our new dm, rick dinkle he's kind of an idiot as well, but ya know something? it doesn't matter much, corporate folks are driving walgreens into the ground, stocks are dropping, hours are being cut, it's sort of a tail spin and we're about to crash, those of us that stick with it, we might get to move back up in the company, those that don't well there's other jobs out there.

• Ki
    KimPharmacyTech Dec 01, 2010

Well, I was recently fired for being late ? after being at walgreens working in the pharmacy for almost 3 years, they said, My performance was great and I had customers always comment my work and how fast I managed to get there refills from the doctor and their rx out to them. I feel I should get an appeal as well, because i nkow i was late 5 minutes a lot of times but when i knew i was going to be late one day and called my manager said, oh, well calling now dont matter ? I was furious, meanwhile other member never called and came in 45 minutes late called out all the time, I never even used my sick days and called out 2 times out of the 3 years, what a joke, and having 3 kids to support I was in shock . but i am in th mist of calling them to complain it was not right after being certified and always promised SR .tech it never even happen, looks like if you do not kiss the right butts, and you seem like more of a leader they just get rid of you .

• Bi
    bittercold Mar 08, 2011

Walgreens, Fox Point, WI 53217

I live across the street from this Walgreens and shop there several days a week. Yesterday I ran out of change for the washer and needed to grab a few things as well. When I got up to the counter to checkout, I asked if it would be possible to get some quarters. Tori said, "Umm we are not a bank, so no, we don't do that" in a very rude tone. I immediately asked to speak with a manager, and she rolled her eyes at me without responding and paged a manager and she was clearly unhappy about doing that. When the manager was coming around the counter from Photo, she yells across the store "HE WANTS QUARTERS". I wanted to speak with Manager after what she said. If that was true and Walgreens won't give change, then I would not ask for it in the future. This was apparently not a store policy but rather a Tori policy. I was extremely offended by her lying to me, and then screaming across the store for everyone to hear that I wanted quarters was a little embarrassing. While waiting for the manager to return, she told me "ya know, sometimes we run out and we just...we can't just be doing this". When the manager brought the quarters over I thanked him, and nicely remarked "No problem". He stood there as Tori completed the transaction and as Tori was opening her drawer, she said "I HATE OPENING MY DRAWER". The manager said "quiet" to her, and she responded with "WHAT, WE GET IN TROUBLE FOR THIS" as she threw the $20 bill inside the drawer. Again, if this violates Walgreens policy by making change for customers, I simply won't ask and that is ok. I just don't appreciate being treated like a nuisance and talked down on by a cashier who should just ring me out.
    I have never had any complaints about any other employee in that Walgreens, and I've been coming there for years. I really like going there and that is why I want to bring this to your attention so something can be done.