Menu
Vacation Rentals By Owner [VRBO]
reviews & complaints

Vacation Rentals By Owner [VRBO]
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

231 complaints
32 resolved 199 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Vacation Rentals By Owner [VRBO]. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages

Vacation Rentals By Owner [VRBO] - Rental Home

The property I reserved was property #2557364 in Fort Worth, TX. The communication from the property host was mostly unresponsive before my check in day and spotty while at the property. The first thing my wife noticed when we entered was the house WAS NOT PROPERLY cleaned. We found dust and cobwebs in far too many places. Then we opened the back door and were appalled to see trash strewn all over the back yard with chickens walking through it! I have a picture to support this assertion. The furniture was in sad shape and one side of the reclining couch was broken. The TV in one of the bedrooms had no remote and there was no way to turn it on. The refrigerator had paper taped over the ice dispenser and had no way to make ice. There were no instructions in the house about how to work anything. But, the worst issue of all (and that is saying something) was the noise. The house is on the corner of a very busy street and the bedrooms are right next to the street side. The horrendous noise from the traffic lasted all night and made it virtually IMPOSSIBLE to sleep. The place was so bad we could not stay the second night that we had reserved and paid. This place SHOULD be an EMBARRASSMENT to vrbo!

Desired outcome: The right thing to do would be to refund my money!

A
5:31 pm EST

Vacation Rentals By Owner [VRBO] - Condo refund Maui HI unresolved

We booked a condo in Maui April 2020. Due to COVID we were unable to go! The VRBO Host, Wen is her name!?! 503-560-1831. She has said she will refund us but has yet to do it! VRBO said they can do nothing about it! Completely disgusting that they have no consequences for people who don't honor agreements within the VRBO Company! This will definitely hinder our use of VRBO from now on! People work extremely hard for a living and this is truly sickening that we have such dishonesty! This was neither our fault or Host but now since she has stolen our money it is definitely HER FAULT AND VRBOS! GROSS

Desired outcome: REFUND

Update by AmeeG
Dec 15, 2021 5:33 pm EST

VRBO Unsatisfactory

W
6:19 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

This complaint is regarding advert reference 10167370 by Brigette Barre and Guidon Umlaf.I am contacting you as Property Manager and also on behalf of the owner. I have already been through the procedure on line and the holiday maker has contacted you to change the rating, heading and content. The heading is deception. The property has internet accessable...

1:49 pm EST

Vacation Rentals By Owner [VRBO] - How I was treated by the Condo owner

I rented a condo in Hawaii for a week. The door came off the track in the hallway very easily. I was charged by the condo owner $ 50. I didn't think that was quite fair.

Also the condo owner said the condo smelled like vomit. None of us were sick when we stayed there. We cleaned the condo. I felt like the condo owner didn't acknowledge what I said in my email reply.

2:52 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

On May 18, 2021 I made a reservation for a home owned by Arian Adorno, property #4698960ha on VRBO. The property is in Southwest Ranches, FL. On May 19. 2021, I received an email saying my reservation was confirmed. I spoke to Arian a couple times following my confirmation with questions about the property. I made 2 payments for the reservation - May 18...

W
7:46 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Formal complaint VRBO holiday home platform Property_ID: 10192494ha Location: Arcos de La Frontera, Andalusia, Spain Property address: 23 Av. del Santiscal El Santiscal, AL 11638 On July 29th 2021 we arrived at the villa, owned by mr. Philip Lee. We planned to enjoy the villa from 29th of July till 5th of August and paid the total amount of 1259GBP for...

G
7:50 pm EDT

Vacation Rentals By Owner [VRBO] - Refund

This company is a joke. They make it very easy to take your money, but they make it very impossible to address any complaints.
We have a reservation in Destin Florida and paid $60.00 for dog fee, our died 5 days before vacation started and we would refunded $60.00 for pet fees. After we reach out to them 6 times for our refund and
filled out proper paperwork, still no refund.
Avoid this company.

Desired outcome: Refund $60.00 for dog fee

1 comment
Aug 19, 2021 9:57 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

That sounds horrible. Sorry for the loss of your dog.

4:12 pm EDT

Vacation Rentals By Owner [VRBO] - VRBO hurting home owners renting their homes...

We rented our house through VRBO. The tenant came, took the keys, he stayed and stated he was paying using money from the insurance company b/c his house was in need of repair. American Express and VRBO took the side of the tenant and they are now taking the money back, despite the fact that we cannot go back in time and re-rent the house to someone else after the agreement was signed.
Case: The tenant is a resident of the same county as our house, they requested to rent the house b/c their house was under renovation and stated that the rent was covered by the insurance company. The insurance company allotted them money to find a rental, as their house was being repaired. The tenant came to inspect our house, they were happy with the house and took possession with a no cancelation clause. The tenant took possession of our house and they notified us shortly after, maybe a week, that they were not happy with the house. They left our house and requested the money they received from the insurance company back to them.
They now have pocketed the insurance money.
To me this sounds like insurance fraud... Are we the charge back house!? Like all people who get money from insurance can pocket the money and commit the same fraud...!?

Desired outcome: VRBO to give us our money back!

4:12 pm EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Vacation Rentals By Owner [VRBO] - property # 1089244 Cabin with Spectacular View of Whiteside Mountain on VRBO is a DUMP!!! DO NOT RENT!!!

property # 1089244 Cabin with Spectacular View of Whiteside Mountain on VRBO is a DUMP! DO NOT RENT! we rented thru VRBO and when we opened the door, the disgusting smell of mold hit us in the face. We locked the door and contacted the owners who only gave us back the cleaning fee. This place is nasty. You have been warned. The property is still being listed for rent. It is a health hazard.

It is located between Highlands and Cashiers NC.

12:58 pm EDT

Vacation Rentals By Owner [VRBO] - Property # 1089244

Property # 1089244 Cabin with Spectacular View of Whiteside Mountain on VRBO is a DUMP! DO NOT RENT! we rented thru VRBO and when we opened the door, the disgusting smell of mold hit us in the face. We locked the door and contacted the owners who only gave us back the cleaning fee. This place is nasty. You have been warned. The property is still being listed for rent. It is a health hazard.

It is located between Highlands and Cashiers NC.

Desired outcome: My rental money returned and the property not listed for rent

F
12:44 am EDT

Vacation Rentals By Owner [VRBO] - 305a summer house orange beach al

Trying to charge me extra cleaning fee because the cleaner was "shocked "
By finger prints (lots of kids around) and some blood stains on something. Oh and extra trash on patio. False. I cleaned up everything before I left so. Their word against mine at this point. Been going down there for 35 years and only when I rent from vrbo do I get "extra" chargers. I get it now. It's such a scam.

A
4:25 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

RE: Property #118841 Res ID HA-P5LQH5 I communication with the property owner regarding a broken pot top (Wolfgang Puck brand), explaining the top had shattered suddenly over a pot of pasta. I included numerous examples of this same problem with spontaneously shattering glass pot tops from an online search of Wolfgang Puck cookware which this is. Here i...

6:51 pm EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Vacation Rentals By Owner [VRBO] - Lies, privacy laws broken, never received refund

My family booked for a stay in La Jolla, CA, there was listed 3 "house rules" one stating a camera outside the front door and if more then 3 visitors walked in that we would be charged 400 per person per day and vacated of f the premises, sad because the whole reason why we were taking the trip was to visit my daughter and son in law, but ERIK the owner said even though they were not staying there if they enter the premise I would still be penalized. Ok so fair enough a little silly but we could figure something else out. then 10 days prior to our stay ERIK emailed me with 2 pages listing 14 house rules which state the camera was inside the front door and there was a noise monitor- which is absolutely BS. So after I confronted ERIK about my concerns he in a email he said my phone number was not working and to call him and talk like an "adult"! Ok so I called him and he states lets just cancel the reservation and I will give you a full refund, but do it prior to 6 pm tonight, I cancelled our reservation while on the phone with him and still no refund 4 days later. I called VRBO and they stated on Monday ERIK is not allowed to have noise monitors or cameras inside the house and will reach out to owner for the refund, after 3 attempts no luck so she was going to email the owner Rich. Today Thursday still nothing so I called VRBO AGAIN, Spoke with Melanie which was very rude and unhelpful, she said he was not responsible for my refund and "next time I should investigate my rental properties" WHAT are you serious! So I am out 2500 because ERIK said to cancel and would give refund well here I am no refund and no rental ! I will post this anywhere and everywhere until I am heard and refund as been processed!

Desired outcome: FULL REFUND

I
11:26 am EDT

Vacation Rentals By Owner [VRBO] - Dewey Beach, DE, beach rental

Found a great dewey beach rental that was listed as available for our week 9/18 thru 9/25/2021.
Applied for renting the unit and was denied because the unit was already rented last january. We were quite disappointed and had prematurely made plans to travel to dewey beach for this vacation rental, only to find it had already been rented.

There should be some controls to prevent this type of false advertising by vrbo. Not sure i can trust what i see on your web site.

2:49 pm EDT

Vacation Rentals By Owner [VRBO] - Property #2270901 in Kiawah, SC

Paid $692.69 for two nights: July 7 and July 8. Check in was 4:00 PM on July 7. Checked in at 6:00 PM and found absolutely FILTHY unit: cockroaches on floor, feces in and around toilet, dirty wet towels on floor, unsanitary conditions, dirty soiled carpets, unmade beds, etc. Obviously, we did not stay even 15 minutes. Complained to VRBO, who deferred to owner, who says she will "look into it." She says she purchased unit "sight unseen."
This is unacceptable.

Desired outcome: Full Refund of $692.69

C
5:39 pm EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Vacation Rentals By Owner [VRBO] - Reservation ID: HA-WOK9L2. Property ID: 2276466

The house was stale smoke permeated when we walked in. We were willing to live with it even though unacceptable. When I closed my bedroom door I was locked in from the outside. I had to bang on the door to have someone come find me locked In the room. The end was when I went to get in bed and a moved pillow that had been chewed and rodent droppings. We moved packed our belongings to move out immediately in disgust. I made the complaint that night see attached but just saw it went to Singapore. Please facilitate a fill refund as this was not a place we could stay and had to get and pay for acceptable accommodations so we could sleep safely.

Desired outcome: Full refund

E
1:08 am EDT

Vacation Rentals By Owner [VRBO] - Advertising

Please remove all ads with Chrissy "bully" Teigan and her husband, John Legend. I have invested thousands and thousands of dollars in vacation rentals through VRBO and will not until you remove ads with either of them. Bullying is unacceptable. I know many people have complained and yet you still air commercials with their family. People deserve to voice an opinion without fear of cyber bullying. One celebrity contemplated suicide after her bullying. Suicide is the number one cause of death between ages of 10 and 34...Please remove her from your ads and her husband and his voice! When you do, I'll start booking through vrbo again.

Desired outcome: stop ads with Chrissy Teigan and John Legend

C
7:15 am EDT

Vacation Rentals By Owner [VRBO] - Owner Charging additional Cleaning Fee - Kim Miller Property ID 1239545

We came to St George Island. FL to attend a wedding on Sunday evening . May 16, 2021, at 6:00 pm. The bride's aunt, Gail, was staying in Apalachicola and her service dogs were attending the wedding on the island. Gail came to our rental unit with her service dogs around noon. There are 4 units in the complex. Gail left the service dogs in her air conditioned car for approximately 45 minutes while we ate lunch in the unit. After lunch, her husband leashed the service dogs and walked them through the common boardwalk to the public beach. Kim Miller called me at 1:30, after the maids from unit 4 called her about the service dogs and told her the dogs were in her unit. She was yelling at me and telling me her Insurance didn't allow dogs. I explained the dogs had never been in her unit. They left the beach via the public beach access at 3:00 pm as I had agreed with the owner rather than have them walk back through the common area boardwalk. The following Tuesday she has charged me $200.00 for cleaning as she said the maids found dog hair in her unit. I asked for proof such as photos. This was never provided. If the maids found dog hair, it wasn't from our stay at her unit. At no time were the service dogs or any other dogs in the unit. I can only assume that the maids were lying because I spoke to them after talking with the owner and told them the service dogs were never in the unit. Which is why I also took photos of the unit when we departed. The maids were very rude to me and I didn't want them to say we had left the place trashed or dirty .We left the unit clean and spotless . I have photos to prove this . Whenever we stay at a hotel or a private home. I ALWAYS ensure we respect the property, treat it as if we own it and leave the facility clean.

Desired outcome: remove the additional cleaning charge

I
5:42 pm EDT

Vacation Rentals By Owner [VRBO] - Refusing refund without providing service

I paid $2, 576 in full for for a vacation rental in March 2020. Due to state government mandates, I could not travel due to COVID. The owner refunded half but kept the other half of my payment and promised I could have it as a credit until 12/31/2021. Once it was safe to travel, I tried to book a trip but the property was booked. I contacted the owner via email 5 times and called. He didn't respond to any emails or messages. When he answered the phone, he yelled at me and told me no funds and hung up. He then called and left me a message not to call or email him again. I believe it is fraud to promise a credit and then not allow the traveler the opportunity to use it. I would like my remaining balance of $1, 073 refunded to me because I was promised a credit for a stay that I am not being allowed to use. This is for reservation ID :HA-CDV5DR

Desired outcome: Refund of $1,073

H
3:05 pm EDT

Vacation Rentals By Owner [VRBO] - Property manager

Property #1297830
Reservation ID HA-7YN6K4

We unfortunately had a terrible experience with the property manager, Maureen Weis. When we arrived at the property on Wednesday, we were unable to get into the property because Maureen did not give me any check in information or check out policies and procedures. Last night, while cooking dinner for my family, we heard a crashing noise (it sounded like some dropped a glass on the tile) and when I opened the oven door I discovered that the interior glass on the oven shattered. I immediately took a picture and sent a text along with the picture to Maureen and within a couple of minutes she called me then accused me of having a party and told me I must've done something wrong to cause this to happen because it's never happened to her before. I politely told her that I was not going to tolerate her speaking to me like that and have her accuse me of doing something wrong and told her I was hanging up. She then screamed at me and told me to back my bags and I told her that I would not pack my bags and leave until my rental time was over, she again told me to leave and if I didn't she was calling the police on me. A short time after, she texts me telling me that VRBO was calling me and I better answer or she will call the police. VRBO never called or if they did they didn't leave a message. I reached out to VRBO to try and talk to someone but I was unable to get in touch with anyone.
I am sorry that the glass shattered in the oven but it was not my fault, I was simply cooking dinner.
I'm reaching out to you so you are aware of how your property manager is treating people and it is unacceptable.
I'm sending you a picture of the oven door as well as the text message I sent to the property manager and the text she sent me.

Vacation Rentals By Owner [VRBO] contacts