University of Phoenixscam and cheating

I am now a former student of the UoP -Axia College Online program. I found out about half way through my Associates that they are stealing money from the Student Financial Aid system, and now charging me for courses that they have kept money for. I called my academic counselor two weeks into a set of classes to ask for a break due to a stress overload at work. Instead of giving my my true options (stop posting and be auto dropped, so I could take it later) she said there is nothing we can do, and said to push thru the class.

Besides the fact that I'm terrible at math, the instructor for the College Allgebra course I was assigned to, could barely speak english. After failing the course. The UoP kept the financial aid money, and is now charging me for the class that followed that course, which they were also paid for, and I passed. They are justifying it by saying that they have to have the 'credits' for the semester according to Title IV guidelines. After reading the Title IV guidelines myself, it actually says the school has to figure out a policy to deal with failed courses..

As far as I can tell, they have used this as another way to absorb money from Financial aid, and students. I've filed complaints with the HLC and the Inspector General for misuse/mishandling of the Student Aid Funds. I'm trying to transfer to another local college to complete my degree, and of course they are withholding my transcript for a charge of $1100.00 on a class they have already been paid for, have not sent any money back to my lender, and are somehow charging me for a different course that I passed? There are other multiple errors they've made, but I don't have the energy anymore to list them all out. This is the major one, and has to be addressed! They are absolutely stealing money from the government and students.

• Ro
    Rokeshia Boulard May 25, 2016

I'm a former student of uop I'm having a hard time getting along because I too ask to be drop from my classes and my advisor said take time to think about it I explain to her I was going through a lot she didn't take me out of my classes and I have a $1200 bill. No one is answering me I have been dealing with this for 3years these people need to be stop

• Mj
    mjb13 Oct 24, 2011

I too went to the UOP. They told me that my financial aid would not cover any future classes because I had an out-of-pocket expense of $2020 (give or take). I finally chose to begin online college again in 2009 after leaving UOP in 2007 because I was on disability and my EIC was 0; which I thought would cover my tuition there. Nevertheless, I'm almost finished with my other classes with another online school in which a few weeks ago I find that I have reached my aggregate limit on my financial aid loans through the government. Of course, the college I'm currently attending is providing me with options to help those options will not fully pay for my courses, which could leave me owing money without getting my degree. Actually, they told me that I would likely graduate but if the out - of - pocket is not paid in full then I will not receive my degree. What good will it do me to graduate if I cannot receive the degree. It won't do any good period. Therefore, I'm going to have my accounts with UOP audited, and with my other school too. The information found here is only fueling my desire to press the issue full force. I need help to finish my degree and I am not one of those that does not have the intelligence level of a 10 year old. I am highly intelligent; I take my education seriously and I feel I am being pushed around without gaining the degree I deserve; I should have already received the degree. Had UOP not misused my tuition money (which is what I am finding in my research).

• Si
    singlemom09 Oct 14, 2009

I couldn't agree with you anymore about UOP turning out to be a huge scam! Everytime I talk to any of my councelors I am told something completly different it is so frustrating!I am a single mother and don't have a job right now! The school keeps telling me you should have ur money next week no next week no next week!They do nothing but lie and steal!

• Ti
    tiffanychicago Aug 02, 2009

UoP is turning out to be a scam, ok so I began my classes in the begining of June "09" and by the time I got into my second week of school it became harder and harder, and alot of the assignments to me didn't relate to the class itself. But maybe thats just me there were a few assignments that I quite didnt understand and it on average takes at least a day and a half for some instructors to get back to you in regards to a question which is just ridiculous. So Im ending the last few days of my classes and im almost positive that I will fail one class so as I was talking to my financial aid advisor he informed that I must pass both classes in order to receive my financial aid to pay for the classes. He stated that he told me of this but I dont' quite remember him telling me the way he explained it the last time. So now I believe I will be paying for a class that I passed as well as a class that I have failed that is crazy what should I do?

• Co
    college4u Jun 24, 2009

I'm sorry that you all feel you are losing money. I'm also sure all of your situations are different. If the University of Phoenix, or any other university were found guilty of holding Title IV funds, they would lose their ability to offer financial aid at all, which would put them out of business. You may want to check on your specific situation. CherriSue, if you only owe $249 that means you dropped fromyour class before your financial aid was certified and therefore it was never disbursed to the school, so you would owe for the time you were in attendance. Nothing is reported to your lender, you owe money to the school, plain and simple. If you owe the school money, they will not release your transcript.

CherriSue Jun 19, 2009

There should be some way to stop UOP from scamming federal financial aid. they ONLY took $249.00 from me, because I withdrew today before I got in in deeper. They could not / would not explain where the $249 went but said for me "not to get stuck" on the financial chart they sent me because it was an estimate. When I asked for a complete breakdown of what I was spending $60, 000 on, they told me it would vary and they would have that out soon! If they take $249 off the top of 300, 000 students who receive financial aid, UOP is stealing millions! And there is no one to report to or go to! THEY report to your lender and it goes against YOU! Unfair and unethical UOP is not a university . Please do not enroll there ---they will get to you one way or another.

• Ri
    Ripper offs Jun 19, 2009

I am sorry about your situation. I even had a so call "professor" teaching a class in which he did not know what the hell is going on.