Complaints & Reviews

Resolved refund never processed!

I purchased a crib from Toys R Us and subsequently received an email notifying me the crib was recalled and I should stop using it and send it back. I had numerous problems with Toys R Us staff trying to get the crib picked up by UPS as they instructed and once the crib finally got back to Toys R Us I received an email saying the purchase price was refunded, however, the refund never made it back to my credit card so now I have no crib and no money! I have spoken to Toys R Us customer service multiple times and half the time they insist the refund was processed and the problem must be with my bank while the other half of the time the customer service representative tells me that I am right and it looks like the refund was not processed but they will take care of it right away. It has been three months now and I still have not received my refund. My opinion of online shopping has completely turned around. I have no faith in online support centers. I have opened complaints with the Better Business Bureau and the Attorney General's Office. My credit card company is also looking into it, but since they did not receive a transaction there is little they can do it seems.

Resolved unethical online practices

I have to report an annoying experience that I had with Toys R Us last night. I went online at 10 EST to buy their deals to save the trip to the store in the cold rain.

I put items into my cart. I put in 3 transformers figures marked at $11.99 each. In your cart, they all show that price until you put in 3 of them. Then once you put in three items, it makes two of them free. I did the same for GI Joe figures. The price in my cart was accurate. Then I browsed their ad for another half hour or so looking at some items. Then I went through the check out process. Once I submitted and agreed to the price, I hit submit again. Then it charged me more than I agreed to.

The reason it charged more was because two of the figures I wanted weren't available anymore. Since they weren't available anymore, the ones that I had for free went back to normal price (remember you have to have 3 in your cart of same price to get the other two free). So since one transformer and one GI Joe wasn't available, it put the price back up. This is annoying since I thought that if it was in your cart, then it is yours to have, right? Kind of like have something in your physical cart at a real brick and mortar store.

I tried to call their customer service. The first time, the automated system hung up on me. The second time, I was left on hold forever.

So I decided to drive to the physical store...

When I got there, the line was around the building. I though that was the people for the 5 AM deals...nope. Turns out it was busy. They only let so many people in due to fire codes. As 20 people left, they let 20 more people in.

I didn't even attempt it.

So at this point, I spent 90 minutes or more and didn't even get the simple figures I wanted.

Who should I contact? Toys R Us is starting to leave the same bad taste in my mouth as Wal-Mart.

pobarjenkins Nov 26, 2010

While the site probably should have alerted you, you can't be that surprised that the items sold out and the store itself was packed. Wait a day, and call customer service.

• Lm
    LMAO Dec 09, 2010

So you took a half an hour browsing after adding the items to your shopping cart, in that half an hour, others made the purchase and made the items go out of stock.

it's this simple------when shopping online, the items are not YOURS until you make the actual purchase with a credit/debit card. Same goes if you are at the store and you put something in your shopping cart, it's not YOURS until you pay for it. Good God, common sense people!

what ever happend to customer service!

Wow way to ruin my thanksgiving toys r us really the store manager was a ### no people skills what so ever. I mean why is it that imigrants have to be ###s with each other? I guess it makes a big differnce that I crossed a river and him a ocean. I was trying to get a matress for my unborn son for black Friday, naturally it was on sale but didn't get the sale price well manager came around n from the getco he just looked down on me. I mean if you wanna stop me from spending money at the store at least be polite about it. For some reason these managers forget that they have a job because of consumers especially in retail.the whole time this ### is trying to look down on me.well we didn't get anything resolved other then I hope this story keeps more people away and let toys r us go the way of kmart.

ec235h Nov 26, 2010

Ohhh I'm fine with the ad n the fine print its just the way he was telling me he was being anal about it.and yes it was the store manager. As for the comment about spamming post it on the website not here

ec235h Nov 26, 2010

First of all don't talk if you don't know all the facts. Mr . I wanna be heard I was being as polite as I could maybe u should learn to ask questions.

ec235h Nov 26, 2010

And it seems like you are just a online jackass guess u didn't read the part where I was being on my best behavior master. I swear I did everything right master. What the hell are u on here for just to judge everyone for there hard times while shopping how about this get your ### off a computer n go tell how u feel to all the blackfriday shoppers at a store see what happens words don't hit back buddy

ec235h Nov 26, 2010

Didn't know opnions on a website aboout complaints were to be told u were wrong for it. And sorry if I just don't sit back and let y'all talk ignorence. But hey just like u can open your mouth I sure as hell will open mine happy holidays everyone

pobarjenkins Nov 26, 2010

If anyone is ignorant, it's you. It's pretty clear that not only are you racist, but you are also pretty unintelligent.

ec235h Nov 26, 2010

All ya mofo dick riders need to get off my piece already I done busted ask about me

pobarjenkins Nov 27, 2010

Ahh, the classy and grammatically incorrect end to ec235h's argument.

Resolved rewards/returns policies a joke

ToysRus has a completely unethical return policy and a decidedly laughable "rewards" program (among...

rewards points program

I tried to take advantage of the Rewards R Us program. I am not a big seeker of points and often don't...

beware when buying any electronics from them

Holidays are coming again, and you might be thinking about buying some gifts for your kids, and you think youll be able to take them back if your kids dont like them? Think again when it comes to ToysRUs! You buy them, you are stuck with them, this is the new anti-kids share-price friendly customer service policy of this company.

We purchased several birthday gifts for our daughter at the Oceanside, CA ToysRUs, one of them being a small cheap video camcorder for about $50. Our daughter didn't like the gift, so we wanted to return it and exchange for something else, however, store supervisor "Wayne" told us that TRU does not allow any returns of electronics at all! You can only exchange a broken item for exactly the same item or handle it through manufacturer's warranty, but you cant get your money back or even a store credit even if you bring the item one hour later after the purchase!

This was never disclosed during the check out process, this is not clearly stated on the store receipt, when we asked this unfriendly "supervisor" Wayne where this policy is clearly explained to the consumer, he pointed to a blue sign hanging about 20 feet up in the air below the ceiling, (the very last place you would look at the store for consumer disclosures without somebody actually pointing to this sign), and according to him this sign constitutes "CLEAR LEGAL STATEMENT" in the eyes of Toys'R'Us!

How Ridiculous! First off, how does ToysRUs defines "electronics" that are not subject to this draconian return policy? With half of all toys right now on the market having batteries or some type of simple electronic chips, it means that most of toy inventory at ToysRUs is now technically classified as non-returnable.

Secondly, if ToysRUs as a business TRULY CATERS TO CHILDREN, then TRU probably should do some really expensive market research and may be learn that kids don't always like their gifts and parents have to return them. Alternatively, TRU should clearly state non-return policy on the receipts (like all electronics stores do) or clearly state so during the check out process, not hang some obscured signs 20 feet in the air and think that this will excuse their horrible customer service.

We are done as customers of ToysRUs, there are plenty of good childres stores out there with much higher appreciation for customers, not just their corporate bottom line!

pobarjenkins Oct 13, 2010

You should always ask because the sign will always be somewhere someone can consider inconvenient.

And I hate to say it but a lot of store policies are starting to go this way due to a lot of people scamming stores. Especially with electronics (games and movies can be downloaded and returned, pieces can be removed from toys, et cetera). Though I do believe that within a reasonable amount of time, with an unopened package, and with a receipt, you should have been given store credit. If you were missing one of these things though, their policy was followed well.

pobarjenkins Nov 24, 2010

Exactly 123321. Also, if the poster purchased any video games or videos, it is also proper for them to reject the return due to the large amount of piracy these days.

dissapointment for my daughter on her birthday

On the 110909 I purchased a Baby Amore from Toys r Us in ARbour Center, It was marked down from R299 to R149, I asked the manager why it was marked down and he said there was nothing wrong with it, they did offer to test it, but we were in a rush. The box was damaged. Today 120909 my daughter woke up to open her new Baby, only to find it was damaged and broken. Not only was the mouth broken, the mechanism inside the doll was making a terrible noise. I took it back to the store, the manager looked at it, discussed it with an assistant, made me feel like i had broken the doll. I was then told I cannot be refunded as I damaged the packaging and removed the doll, how would I have known that the doll was not working if I had not removed the doll, What child looks at a doll in package and asks please can we test it first. So they offered me a voucher, I had to spend another R200 at Pick n Pay for a another doll, I went to P & P and bought the same doll for more money Toys R us didnt have anymore stock, as we asked them yesterday. I should have been refunded, as they put damaged goods back on thier shelves knowning it was broken, it was obvioulsy returned before, my poor child.

no warranty honor

We bought our kids a Nintendo Wii for Christmas last December. We no longer had the receipt. It stopped working recently and we wanted to warranty the product. We went to the Toys R Us store where we bought it hoping they could either warranty the product themselves, or since it was serialized, print us a proof of purchase so we could warranty it directly with Nintendo. They can't do either. We called their 800 number hoping they could help us, but they said they don't currently have this capability in Canada. I'm an entrepreneur that has had a number of businesses and I was always able to print a receipt for a customer with a serial number. Wow! we recently bought a TV at Costco. They have a two year return policy on most electronics. I suggest you shop elsewhere.

• Go
    Goku9362 Jun 16, 2011

What YOU do in your business has nothing to do with other companies.

Well Said.

Resolved returns

I purschased a General Foam Plastics Corporation inflatable pool to replace a torn pool. Easy set up 1 2 3 ..right ..wrong! If you purchase a torn poo.l manufacturer defect, you can not exchange it at Toys R Us . You have to contact manufacturer. Now they may be closed today because Sunday was 7/4, but they should put that on their recording. So instead of 1 2 3 ..I have a useless pool and 5 hot grandchildren. I have to go to work tomorrow and do not know if I will be able to reach General Foam Plastics Corporation
at all, during my lunch break.

• Ca
    CanYouBelieveThis Dec 10, 2010

I made a purchase at Toys R Us and paid part by credit card and part by gift card. I ended up wanting to return two of the items I purchased. The first store I went to said it could only return one of the items, and it sent me to a second store to make the return. The second store said that because I had paid part b gift card, I could only get back store credit. The store refused to return any of my money back onto my credit card.

Get this: Their reasoning was that when I had made the original purchase, I paid first by gift card. Therefore, whichever method I paid first would be the method of the return.

Why would I ever pay credit card first when I am paying part by gift card? How would I know how much to put on the credit card? I didn't realize it was my responsibility to bring a calculator to figure this out when shopping from Toys R Us.

• Lm
    LMAO Dec 10, 2010

what they should have done was return the amount you charged to card, and the difference back on the gift card.

• Mc
    mccurrybulls Dec 29, 2010

Puarchased an HP Netbook on December 27th from Toys R US. I was told by HP that the Netbook was 4 days out of warranty! TRU will not give me my money back. The return policy is stated on a sign at the register but I didn't think to look at it because usually, return policies are stated on the back of reciepts. TRU have become crooks. The cashiers are required to try and sell you the extended warranty to get more money out of you but they won't dare draw your attention to the fact that once you buy it, it's yours for good. Never again! I'll take my business where customers are valued.

pobarjenkins Dec 29, 2010

"The return policy is stated on a sign at the register but I didn't think to look at it because usually"

It's important to be open to these sorts of things. And if you did mean December of last year, then eventually warranties do expire, and they cannot honor them regardless of how many days past expiration it is. Sometimes certain things never break, sometimes they have problems galore.

• Co
    ConnorIvor Mar 04, 2012

With things like this, it is clearly the manufacturer who instigated that rule with Toys R Us.

Resolved rude/childish workers

We will never return to toys r us in nyc and make a point to inform others. Went to toys r us on 6-8-2010...

the worst customer service dept I have ever dealt with

The worst customer service dept I have ever dealt with. I purchased a buyer's protection plan for my son's DS LITE GAME. The game system does not work properly now and when I called toysrus to have them fix the game system they told me that it had to go back to Nintendo because it was still within the manufactures warranty and they could not help me. But, the rep told me that if my DS LITE was accidentally damaged they would be able to replace the item. When I called Nintendo to have the replace the item, they told me that I would have to pay $85 to have the game system fixed. Why should I pay $85? I bought the coverage from toysrus, I should be able to exchange the DS for a new one or at the least have them repair it! They just kept giving me the run around and said that Toys r Us cannot do anything until the manf warranty is expired. I am such a dissatisfied consumer and will never spend another dime in that store. I will be taking my business to TARGET instead.

I WILL NEVER SPEND ANOTHER DIME IN THAT STUPID STORE!! They are so quick to talk you into the protection plan and promise that no matter what they will fix the item. But once there is a problem they refer you somewhere else and do not want to take responsiblity!

• Li
    LinkDude80 Jun 25, 2010

When you bought the plan it should have come with a pamphlet describing the protection. On the pamphlet are the website and phone number of the company in charge of the plans.

• Fr
    Frustrated with Toys r us Dec 17, 2011

Toys r us/baby r us in Broomfield Colorado is the worst store I have ever went to! The so called STORE MANAGER ADAM was not only rude but has no customer service skills. He did not want to even come out from the back REALLY... lazy ### manager who gets paid for doing NOTHING. On top of that had no clue what was on sale, I received and email today from toys r us with items 50% off he could not even find them oh my gosh if he didn't spend so much time in the back office he might know what was on sale. I was there 45min. waiting for him to check on a tablet that I had called and was told the tablet on sale had a camera get there to find out NO CAMERA waste of time!!!

this boat stays on water only for 1 minute

I just bought the Sizzlin' Cool Speed Boat for my son. The inside of the boat takes on water very quickly and it only stays afloat for one minute before sinking, at which point it needs to be turned up side down to drain the water out. I plan to return it tomorrow and try one of the other Sizzlin' Cool boats that have a covered top. I hope the new one is better. Why on earth would Toys R Us manufacture a kid's boat to be played with in the water that sinks in one minute?!

Don't buy this kind. I'll let ya know how the other type works!

very misleading company

I went on line to order our grandkids bean bag chairs... After putting the items in my cart, I noticed shipping charges..Called customer service to inquire..stated that "free shipping" was for Babies-R-Us items..So I asked do you sell these 2 items at Babies R Us, and no they do not. Very misleading..took items out of cart, and will not be back. I own a gift & home decor business and not for one minute would I try this stunt.

rude and wasteful

toys r us they are uncaring, insensentive, and just plain rude .ok heres my story [all i can state is my case does not know about other cases]ok here is what happened this was about 2 yrs. ago i went to get a download on a pokemon character [im into pokemon i am a collector store signages, etc.]i do not sell them at all!back to my case: i called ahead of time week before spoke with a very nice lady on the phone i asked her about the signage to see if i could get it [once they were done w/it she said no problem .here is what happened when i got there i told them that i had called in advance inquiring about signage and told the girl at the desk well it was the last day of this download she paged the manager he yelled over the intercom to this poor girl we dont give this away its a corporate thing and she may sell it on ebay [which i would never do!]how dare these people falsely accuse me of that well anyway i had $50 on me to spend i am disabled [autism, tourettes syndrome] pokemon are one of the few things in my life that i enjoy.they never had this wasteful policy before needless to say i will never do business with tru again i did get the download but will never set foot in these bigbox stores again they are wasteful and RUDE! if you can i need to know why they have such a wastefull policy.thank you for listening.jj

• Ia
    IanUL2000 Apr 30, 2010

pokemon is cook, see my letter okay. snyderkiller it is under my profile.

Resolved unauthorized withdrawal of money from my checking account

I log into my bank account to see a charge of $12.00 To TOYS R US in Memphis TN for a what? I don't know...

Resolved online shipping method

The Toys R Us website is a complete joke! I purchased guitar hero 5 online since they stopped carrying this product for the Wii in store. Why? Because of the stupid gift card I had.

We were told the product would be shipped via UPS Standard Ground and received a UPS tracking number to track the package which we did. While tracking the package we saw the local ups facility had recived the the package and it was now on the truck and should be delivred that day. We waited around for it's delivery and when it did not come checked the ups tracking number and found the message ups attempted delivery but the address was vacant.

We verified the address with a phone call to ups and she gave some address we did not know. After speaking with a supervisor at ups we were told that the package was being delivered to a local post office and that they would deliver the item. [email protected]#$%!!! What? We were advised this is the method chosen by toys r us.

A call to toys r us and a conversation with a supervisor there we were advised this was the most cost effective way for them to deliver the item. I asked using a middle man? I indicated that there was nothing on their site that advised this and asked why bother providing a tracking number if its useless... Several weak apologies and that statements like this is the feedback we need to hear (all no doubt to make me feel like they would actually do something when she and I know they wont) There was never any attempt to satisy me like offering the amount for shipping back etc.

I advised they should tell me that the package would be handled by a third party or add some truth to shipping policy. I could have selected a faster method of shipping that actually was trackable so that I didn't lose time waiting on a package I would receive for several days. It's now the saturday before Easter so you know I won't be seeing that package until next week possibly tuesday!

I wanted not to receive the package and get a refund but was given some garbage about I have to receive it and they could email me return label. I was advised this would take at least 24 hours! Another cost saving measure I assume. She advised that sending an email is not just hitting a button! What type of email program are they using! That's exactly what email is!

advertising and pricing

Last night, I went to Toys R Us to buy the Power Wheels Lil Quad for my daughter. I had a 20% coupon I...

Resolved they should spend a couple of hours on teaching cashiers customer service basics

I went in to the gaithersburg md store today and without even an "im sorry" rude cashier "Bill" advised because my return was 2 days past 90 days, the defective toy could not even be exchanged for store credit. My receipt mind you had 15 other items on it because I spend so much money there every christmas, this toy was only one on which we spent over $300 this past christmas.

I have twin 6 year olds, have a lot more toys to buy before we send them off to college, and they will all be bought at target, walmart, or kmart from now on. Bad move Toys R Us, over $20!!!

Oh, and in reference to Bill and Karen on duty today, Perhaps during employee orientation a few hours should be spent teaching cashiers customer service basics, even if the answer is no, say it with a smile, not a sneer!!

• Tr
    Truthteller9000 Feb 12, 2010

People like you are the reason why hate exists. The refund policy is on the back of the receipt. When I buy something and may need to return it later (gift, expensive item, etc) I put the must return by date on the receipt. Its not the cashier's fault. This is strictly YOUR FAULT.

If he let you return it two days after the return date, why not three or four or ten? Return policies are there for a reason. If you don't like it, don't buy anything.

• Pl
    playpiano89 Oct 05, 2010

Totally agree with previous comments. Also, if you wanted to argue about the policy. "Bill" would not be the person to talk to. He has no control over changing the policies. I feel quite sorry for Bill and Karen for having to deal with someone the likes of you.

Resolved unauthorized use of credit card/fraud

On December 9th, I placed an order with Toys R Us on-line. By the end of the day, I received an e-mail informing me that my order had been cancelled. I ran out after work and went to a local Toys R Us store to purchase the same items as my daughter had them on her Christmas list. On December 12th, I received another e-mail informing me of an error and that my items would be shipped out. I contacted Customer Service immediately and spoke with a representative by the name of Lisa. I explained the situation and Lisa assured me that the order would be cancelled. On December 13th I received another e-mail informing that my credit card had been charged and that three out of the four items that I had ordered had been shipped. Apparently customer service neglected to cancel ALL four of my items and only cancelled one. I was extremely upset that my credit card had been used after an order had been originally cancelled and believe this to be a great breach of trust.

After many frustrating conversations with Customer Service, I had the items returned and was assured that I would receive a credit reimbursement 5-10days after the item was received. This item was returned on December 14th, 2009.

On January 4th, 2010 I sent an e-mail to customer service advising that I was still awaiting confirmation for my reimbursement. I received a return e-mail asking that I wait 5-10business days as the item had not yet been received. On January 13th, 2010 I contacted Toys r Us customer service again and spoke with Daniel. She informed me that my item was actually received on December 21st. 2009, but had not been reimbursed. This was very upsetting for me. Not only was my credit card charged without my consent, but even after the items had been returned Toys r Us kept my money and neglected to reimburse me. I spoke with Cassandra, Guest Relations Manager, who was not helpful or even sympathetic to how stressful and unjust this situation has been. Cassandra assured me that I would get confirmation of reimbursement today, but I am still waiting. She also offered 10% off my next purchase. I find this offer insulting considering the hassle I have been through over the last month. This offer also does not address the interest that I have had on my credit card, or the countless hours I have spent on the telephone and writing e-mails to Toys r Us costumer service. It also seems very convenient that all offers and mistakes were made to benefit Toys r Us and NEVER the consumer. Offering discounts on a next purchase is unfair seeing as I have to RISK shopping with you again before getting the incentive to do so. I don’t take credit card protection lightly and the fact that this trust was abused without any regard for the impact that it has had on the consumer is simply negligent.

Again, I am absolutely horrified at lack of accountability and mismanagement on the part of Toys r Us. I have two young daughters and have purchased all of their toys, car seats, strollers, cribs, change tables etc. at Toys r Us, along with the Wii system and video games for my husband, but it appears that my business is not important or valued. Toys r Us has breached my trust and disrespected me as a consumer beyond repair and I write this letter simply to inform you that since my business is not valued, then I will take it else where. I will happily shop at Walmart, Sears and the Bay, along with other toy shops like Turtle Pond and Citizen Kid from now on.

• Co
    ConnorIvor Mar 04, 2012

Now you have learned the dangers of online shopping. But why should you stop shopping in store because of something that happened online?

Resolved fraud/scam for applying for credit card in store

I was in NYC at the TRU in Times Square. Let me preface the situation by saying that I have prestine credit, lived in my home (that I own) for over 2 years, and had the same job for the last six years. Haven't applied for new credit in a while either. I even have a service to check my credit once a month. I wanted to buy the Disney pink laptop for my child while I was there.

The store clerk was nice. He asked if I would like to save 10% buy applying for a store card. I have been offered this by many stores, but always turn down the offer. However, this was a 350.oo purchase so I thought, "okay. 35.00 isn't a bad savings."
I give him my info. We wait a minute. Then he informs me that I was not approved because of some "verification issue". I was embarrassed to say the least...being turned at Toys R Us for store credit? Not to mention the other people standing in line and around me witnessing the event.

I let it go to a certain extent because I used my Amex instead. He handed me a brochure and said I could contact "Chase" to see what the problem might be. "Chase?" I thought, "I have a Chase credit card too." Strange...

So, two weeks go by and guess what I receive in the mail? A Toy R Us/Chase credit card with a $6000 limit with a $600 cash allowance! I called the NYC store and asked what the discount was again for purchases if you applied in the store. The GM replied VERY specifically that if you are approved "ON THE SPOT" it was a 10% discount. I asked how many customers where approved "ON THE SPOT" and how to find out that information. Of course there was not answer.

However, along with my new credit card I recieved a 10% coupon off my next purchase...how convienent!

• Ri
    richny68 Jul 21, 2010

I would notify Chase of the agreement between you and Toys R Us, and let them know that you only wanted the card under the circumstances explained to you by the rep at Toys R Us. If they don't work with you, contact the credit bureau and notify them of the situation and tell them you want the inquiry removed and that you received a credit card under false pretenses.