Thrifty Rent A Car Logo

Thrifty Rent A Car

Having problems with Thrifty Rent A Car?

Thrifty Rent A Car reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Aug 17, 2006. The latest review Worst Experience with Any Company, Ever. Unethical and Unconscionable Business Practices was posted on Jun 11, 2021. The latest complaint unreturned charges! was resolved on Oct 27, 2014. Thrifty Rent A Car has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 213 reviews. Thrifty Rent A Car has resolved 56 complaints.

Thrifty Rent A Car Customer Service Contacts

+1 800 847 4389 (Reservation Assistance)
+1 800 334 1705 (Customer Assistance)
2W2, P.O. Box 33167
Tulsa, Oklahoma
United States - 74153-1167

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Thrifty Rent A Car Customer Service. Initial Thrifty Rent A Car complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Thrifty Rent A Car above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Thrifty Rent A Car. Discuss the issues you have had with Thrifty Rent A Car and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Thrifty Rent A Car Complaints & Reviews

Thrifty Car Rental Romania — overcharged the cancellation fee

Recently we cancelled our trip to Romania due to the volcanic ash. As a consequence, we had to cancel our car...

Thrifty Car Rentalbait & switch

Reserved a rate on the Internet. Called and informed Thrifty that my ship would be a couple of days late due to bad weather. The agent confirmed that I would still get the same rate.

When I arrived I was told that the rate was more than the email rate I had received. For $10 it was not worth going finding another car rental company.

After returning the car I found out that they had billed $15.70 more than they my written agreement.

Clearly they make their money by [censored]ing the customer with pins and needles for a few extra bucks that they probably won't notice or complaign about!

Called their customer service department who basically laughed at me and was not slightly interested in having a satisfied customer.

Will never rent from them again.

Dollar Thriftycharged me for pre-existing scratch under bumper

I rented a car @ Vancouver airport and no agent was available to review the car for damages before I left with it. When I returned it on November 23, 2009, 3 agents went over it and one agent found a small acratch UNDER the rear bumper that no one else could even find. Later I received a letter charging me $175.20 for damages. I left 3 phone messages with the office that were not returned. The only communication was threatening collection letters. The charges were excessive and the review of the car very agressive. One had to get on their hands and knees to find the scratch.

Thrifty Car Rental — drop off charges

I used RENTALCARS.COM to rent a vehicle. The vehicle was at a daily rate of $48.50. The website requires that...

Thrifty.com Car Rentalhidden charges

I booked a Thrifty car (midsize) online for LAX. The quoted price was an "estimated base rate of US$111.20 per week plus 2 extra days @ $17.59 with unlimited miles. " This is a total of US$146.38. I took this to mean all inclusive, excluding local taxes. They 'mention' that there are three types of insurance but fail to say that this will be ADDED on arrival. Most car rental companies offer you "all inclusive rates" meaning car and insurance, and then if you want to increase the insurance it's so much extra per day. Imagine my sheer horror on arriving at night in Los Angeles when the actual rate including insurance came to US$612.47!!!
      These people should be called Shifty.com! They are a conniving, duplicitous, shady company and a disgrace to rental car dealerships. They should be forced to disclose the extra charges at the time of reservation for what they really are, 5 times as much as the "base rate"! How do I complain and who to? Is there a regulatory body in the US who deals with such charlatans? I will NEVER USE THRIFTY AGAIN and never miss an opportunity to bad mouth them wherever and whenever possible.

hidden charges
      hidden charges

Thriftycrooks

Long story short- credit cards, electronics, and other items stolen from back of rental car in thrifty secure lot. Theif tried getting cash at two casinos. Police determined that security cameras in thrifty garage were not working...surprise! Almost a week later and no property or help in any way from thrifty. One fellow renter was even refused service by one agent for not allowing her to explain the insurance coverages. Thrifty has rude agents, hires theives and cares nothing about protecting anything except their own ###. If you rent here dont let anything out of your site!

Thrifty Car Rental — $25 admin fee for 0.25 toll charge

I accidently passed through one of the many toll booths while driving around central Florida incurring a 0.25...

Thrifty Car Rentalbait & switch - excessive added on charges

My quote from Thrifty was $261.54 for a one week rental of a mid size car on 10/09/2009. They gave me a bill for $674.62 on 10/16/2009 and I charged it to my AAA Visa card.
          I had already talked to my Insurance agent about my rental coverage and said I was completely covered with any rental car and gave the Thrifty desk person my Insurance Card to copy. They insisted that I buy from them additional daily insurance at $177.68 for the week. I was driving 200 miles into Nelson BC which my Insurance agent at home told me was covered.
          The car was a 4 door Mazda that could only be described as a sub-compact. I compared it to a Honda Civic which was parked nearby and the Civic was much larger.
          I shall try to block payment on my credit card as I believe their practices are predatory.
          I have kept all documentation from them and would hope that other consumers are duly warned about Thrifty Car Rental and their deceptive business practices.
          I shall go on line and tell my story to as many possible renters as I'm able.

anonyMiss Feb 24, 2010

Adding on to Tammy's post, you get unlimited mileage in Washington only. By purchasing coverage, you were allowed to take the car out of state and even out of the country. Otherwise you could have been charged up to $1 per mile driven for all miles. I agree with Tammy, next time you should read and do you research.

• Ta
              Tammy Hopkins Feb 17, 2010

Well I can understand your frustration. You have to check with your car insurance company to see what all they actually cover. Also keep in mind what is your deductible? $500, $1000? and do you want your premiums to increase? Also you have to make sure that your car insurance company covers the value of the rental car. Most insurance companies carry over to rental cars however, let's say you own a 1999 Dodge Durango valued at only $4000 and are renting a $20, 000 car. A lot of car insurance companies will say the cover in a collision the actual cash value of the car you own. So in this scenario they cover $4000 and you are still responsible for $16.000 assuming a complete total on the vechile. You have to ask very specific questions to your car insurance company they are in business as well sure they will tell you are covered and when you need them and you're really not or just partially covered then who are you mad at? Most insurance companies don't cover loss of use. This is where the vechile is in the shop having repairs done and the rental car company can't rent out the car. You can actually be charged a daily rate while the car can't be rented out, and it is usually higher than your discounted rate you reserved online. Also you need to go to the website of the actual car rental company you are renting the car from. They will have a terms and conditions section that gives you all the information that you need. As you stated above you were going to Nelson BC. If you read the terms and conditions of the website you would have seen that this company requires that you have at least the liability insurance when you go into Canada at the rate of $13.95 per day for the entire rental. So many people are so eager to get mad at the rental car company because they were just too lazy to do their homework. Furthermore, this is not a bait and switch. According to http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Bait-and-switch the definition of a bait and switch is A deceptive sales technique that involves advertising a low-priced item to attract customers to a store, then persuading them to buy more expensive goods by failing to have a sufficient supply of the advertised item on hand or by disparaging its quality. Thrifty didn't lure you in with a deceptive sales techinque. You more than likely used a third party website to book your rental car like Travelocity or Expedia or Priceline, etc. and didn't bother to read the local policies. Now you want to complain. As far as you think you are going to block the payment for your credit card are you out of your mind. You signed the contract which is a legal binding agreement. No one forced you to sign it. You could have shopped somewhere else so tell your story all over the web but tell it truthful. YOU WERE STUPID AND DIDN'T DO YOUR HOMEWORK AND FAILED TO READ THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS AND BECAUSE OF YOUR STUPIDITY PAID MORE THAN YOU THOUGHT YOU SHOULD. THAT WOULD BE MORE ENJOYABLE TO READ!!!

Maybe next time you will read the terms and conditions or better yet call the rental car company you plan to rent the car from.

Thrifty Car Rental Tampaservice

I requested a different car after being given a car that had a stench of cigarette smoke. Five minutes before I was told that I had a choice, but when I requested a change - "there is nothing available" ... you have to go back to the place that I originally checked in at the airport. Persons name was Elizabeth. I said that I had been offered a different car 5 minutes ago. After insisting - I received a car that was sitting there. It had scratches and a 1/4 tank instead of the full tank it was supposed to have, but it was better than the other car.

The key to this complaint is that Elizabeth - when told about the cigarettes smell - said under her breath and then very clearly audible "I don't care.". I said that it was clear that she did not care. Pathetic.

Thrifty Car Rentalwarning

My wife and I reserved an auto from Thrifty in Frankfurt Germany but after reading review comments about their Loss Damage Waver (LDW) policy and refusal to honor the insurance provided by using a MasterCard Gold/Platinum credit card in place of the LDW, we requested a policy statement from their home office and a copy of the benefits from MasterCard.

In the MasterCard benefits statement it clearly states the insurance is effective in all countries except Ireland, Israel, or Jamaica. I emailed Thrifty quoting the statement from MasterCard and asked if this was acceptable by Thrifty. Rick Moss of Thrifty responded that Thrifty accepted the Master Gold/Platinum in lieu of LDW. I then requested that Mr. Moss send me a statement that I could take with me to Germany confirming that Thrifty accepted the insurance provided by the Gold/Platinum MasterCard. I did not receive a response to that request or another request a few days later.

We took the MasterCard benefits booklet with us in case we had problems. Upon arrival at the Thrifty counter, we were told the MasterCard was not acceptable in lieu of the LDW without a specific letter from MasterCard stating that we (by name) were covered by their insurance in Germany and we would have to buy their LDW or put up a very large deposit. We immediately cancelled the Thrifty reservation and went to Hertz who had no hesitation in accepting the MasterCard in lieu of the LDW.

It appears Thrifty is playing a con game. Since Thrifty refused to provide a written statement confirming they accept the MasterCard insurance, they are obviously aware of the Thrifty Germany policy. The day may come when they make this a company wide policy, don’t get caught. After making a reservation and arriving at your destination, they feel they have you cornered and can force you to buy their LDW. Don’t accept this blackmail. There are other auto rental companies that will accept the MasterCard in lieu of the LDW.

Thrifty Car Rental — double charged 2 credit cards

I rented a car from thrifty and the guy that ran my card "accidently" charged both cards they had on file...

Thrifty Car Rentalscam, do not use!

Warning to all that have the misfortune to have an accident in a rental car owned by Thrifty. In Albuquerque New Mexico in the Summer 2008 I had such a misfortune. Bottom line, in New Mexico and several other states which follow the NAAG (National Association of Attorney Generals) guidelines, a rental company cannot charge Loss of Use that is not proportion to their local fleet usage rates. Thrifty charged 100% (fleet usage around 75%) and did so based on a fictitious body shop labor day of five hours instead of the industry standard of eight.

After several months of obfuscation from Thrifty, I am now forced to file a law suit to have them honor the law. If anyone has a similar situation and would like to participate in a class action suit, please leave a response to this post. Thank You.

Thrifty Car Rentalno cars in category

June 2009. We went to pick up our 'Toyota Yaris, Chev Aveo or similar' from Thrifty LAX. Our rental was fully paid with all insurance, CDW etc - yet he still tried to sell us, pushed and cajouled us, to buy TRIPSAVER® 24-hour Roadside Assistance, which was included anyway, but didn't cove if you lost your keys ETCETERA - an extra $5.99 per day - I asked for a brochure as to what the ETCETERA was and he slid open a few drawers and 'can't find the brochure' - A COMPLETE RIP OFF an extra $84 plus tax for 2 weeks in case you lose your keys. (There was a spare key in the glove box anyway which we carried separately) The Yaris does 42mpg so is not so bad for the environment given we were to drive over 3000 miles in 2 weeks.
                  They ONLY have Chryslers, which was confirmed later by Thrifty staff. There are NO Yaris or Aveos available. The smallest available was the Dodge Caliber or, as we know it, the Dodgy Low Caliber - a truly dreadful car - that does less than 30mpg at best. Such uncomfortable hard rubbery seats for thousands of miles of piles! The front tyres were about 1mm from the fully worn line when we picked it up. The issuing guy didn't care and there were only much larger PT Cruisers and people movers as an alternative. The WORST aspect is that not one of the cars in the economy/ compact class has ANY way to hide your luggage no boot/trunk or cover - so if you are visiting a National Park or stopping for a meal YOU ARE VULNERABLE. The caliber thing screamed around every corner due to the tyre wear and bad handling charactistics, it also had out of balance tyres - things you don't notice till you have taken it. And yes, it was covered in scratches which you MUST REMEMBER TO NOTE on the condition report.
                  It was so bad we changed it for a PT Cruiser (slightly better) after a week.
                  As Chrysler is bankrupt, Thrifty staff told us that instead of the lease system they used to have, which I assume requires full maintainence of the cars - they dispose of them at auction - so maintaining condition may not be a priority!
                  If you INSIST on renting from Thrifty - Don't pay extra for a 'compact' over an 'economy' they are the same cars at LAX and Las Vegas at this time!
                  We are worried about our Credit Card bill - yet to come - given the horror stories we have heard about being blamed for other peoples damage to Thrifty cars ... awaiting outcome ...

anonyMiss Jul 11, 2009

The car covers get stolen, so you usually have to request them...

You can always ask them to refer you to another nearby company and they will pay the difference in price for what you reserved, if they don't have the car available.

And you should always take the upgrade option if offered to you. Chances are the person knows what his best car is and he will probably put you into that if you help make his commission (which is why he offered the r/s btw, totally forgivable...other insurance commissions were made by whoever you reserved with, not him). ANyway, upgrading is totally worth it, even if it is for the same vehicle class.

BTW, I don't like how the PT of the Caliber handles either.

Thriftydeceptive sales practices

Do not rent from Thrify or Dollar Rental Cars. They will try to mislead you into buying their premium insurance by not even asking you if you want insurance. They'll just say: "you want the basic coverage?' They don't even use the word insurance. What a ripoff. When you get off a long flight and wait on their longer lines, you're not at your best and they count on that. My $165 weekly rental turned into a $440 nightmare. What a ripoff.

do not rent from thrify or sister company dollar rental cars.

anonyMiss Jul 11, 2009

Next time, just go back to the office the next day. They will probably remove the charges except for the one-day. But you have to go in to cancel. Over the phone won't work.

Thrifty Car Rental — fraud - fraud and poor customer service

Never, I my life have I been scammed by a car rental company. Until I made a reservation wit hthrifty car...

Thrifty Car Rentalscammers

I rented a car (Chrysler Dodge Caravan) from Thrifty two days ago. This morning, the car had a flat tire. I discovered that the tools needed to retrieve the spare tire were not in the car. (That's the first instance of Thrifty incompetence.)

I called Thrifty Roadside Assistance and they said they'd send someone out to help me.

A tow truck came 45 minutes later, but the two truck driver hadn't been informed about the missing tools (that's the second instance of Thrifty incompetence), so he was unable to fix the tire. But he said he could tow the car to Firestone to have the tire fixed. I called Thrifty and asked them what I should do. The Thrifty representative told me: "Whatever the tow truck driver wants to do, do that." She assured me that Thrifty would pay for it. The car was towed to Firestone and the tire was patched.

When Firestone called Thirfty to get payment ($23), the Thrifty representative refused to pay. He said that Thrifty would pay to have the flat tire removed and the spare tire put on, but not to have the tire fixed--thus going back on Thrifty's earlier assurance that they'd pay for whatever I decided to do. At best, Thrifty was unintentionally misleading in its communication to me (the third instance of Thrifty incompetence). At worst, Thrifty took advantage of the unclarity to make me shoulder the cost of having the tire fixed (a cost that Thrifty would otherwise have shouldered itself). My primary complaint is that Thrifty went back on its assurance to pay.

In addition, the manager of Thrifty Roadside Assistance was super annoying. He was snarky and dismissive. He didn't take seriously that I could be giving a correct account of my earlier conversation with the Thrifty representative.

• Dt
                          dtaginformant Mar 11, 2011

Thats what Dollar/Thrify does to make the customer "learn a lesson" so to speak and purchase Roadside Assistance and Insurance. They order a vehcile without options, actually I have seen some items "deleted" according to the [censor]ey Sticker. Plus watch out, they are charging money if you smoke in their cars, even if you dont see any stickers in the vehicle.

• Ke
                          kedia May 28, 2010

First of all if you get a flat tire taht is your responsiblity, was the tire like that when you got the car? Second you are responssilbe to return the car the condition you got it in.

• Wh
                          whistleblower May 07, 2009

Car rental places are a bunch of liars. That is why I will never deal with any of these places again. It is obviously Thrifty's responsiblity to replace the tire at no charge to you since it is "their" car and you paid for the rental. These crooked businesses will do anything to scam people. They want you money for the rental, but they don't want to back themselves up when it comes to road side assistance. They use raod side assistance as a ploy to get people to be willing to rent from them, as people are unaware that this road side assistance is just a scam and if something does happen to their rental car, the rental company will do whatever it takes to avoid paying for anything.

Thrifty Car Rentalpoor billing practices

I authorized a $250 deposit on my debit card to rent a vehicle. I was told at the time of the rental that the hold would be released when I returned my car. 2 days later, the hold still remains. My total charges for the rental $41.44. Customer service supervisor, Iona, gave me the run around when I requested the corporate office number and instead gave me the basic customer service number. I even double checked with Iona that the number was for the corporate number.

The customer service at the airport is slow. It took well over 30 mins to receive my rental. The customer service representative do all they can to avoid their customers so they are not bothered. Of course this is only after you've signed your agreement and paid your deposit. Terrible customer service and poor billing practices. Not work the headache.

Thrifty Car Rentalunexpected $150.00+ surcharge horible service

My husband and I took a trip to Washington State and reserved a rental car from Thrifty Car Rentals (worst mistake). We arrived at the SeaTac airport in Washing State on March 20th, 2009. The Thrifty rental booth was closed at the airport. We were told that we would have to take a Thrifty shuttle bus to their place of business to get the car. Once we arrived there was a small line with about 4/5 parties waiting for a car. It took over an HOUR to get to the counter!!! The worst customer service ever!!! Once to the counter we learned that our rental (11:00 pm Friday start returning car early Sunday Morning) would cost us an extra $150.00+ in additional taxes and surcharges. This was never disclosed in the details when booking on-line. Our total bill was over $300.00. On top of this, when I was looking for some items that I dropped on the floor in the car I ran my hand across the floor and felt a stinging sensation. I look at my hand and it was dripping blood. The car apparently had a windshield replaced as there was broken glass all underneath the seat where I ran my hand which was cut from the glass. They did not take to time to thoroughly vacuum underneath the seat. When we reported this upon returning the car the attendant said I don't know what to tell you sorry. Very unorganized, very unprofessional and I seriously question their billing practices (thrifty my [protected]@!#). They really put a negative start to our mini vacation. I would absolutely never ever use Thrifty Car Rental again (ever!!).

• Dt
                              DTG Apr 11, 2009

Now you stated that the fees and surcharges were not quoted to you when you booked on-line. My question to you is did you book your reservation on thrifty.com? Because if you did all fees and airpiort surcharges are listed even any other fees that may be such as adding drivers and so forth. You just have to LOOK for it a the bottom once your price has been quoted to you. Now I agree that it was not a correct thing for them not to fully clean out the car. ON the other note you can not be upset with the person that is running the location at the moment. They are not resposible of how many people are on the staff. So having to wait a bit longer is not bad customer service because were you not served in a timely manner? They treated you just like any customer. The agent is not going to speed up the rental process just because they saw you come in line. So come on give the agent a break!!!

Thrifty Car Rental — rip off

Thrifty is demanding over $500 for damages incurred before I rented vehicle. See letter below for...

Thrifty Car Rental — no car for my reservation

I had a Reservation with Thrifty at Denver int'l Airport. My reservation on 2/26/09 was for an SUV with...