Thrifty Rent A Car Logo

Thrifty Rent A Car

Having problems with Thrifty Rent A Car?

+1 800 847 4389 (Reservation Assistance)
+1 800 334 1705 (Customer Assistance)
2W2, P.O. Box 33167
Tulsa, Oklahoma
United States - 74153-1167

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Thrifty Rent A Car.

Complaints & Reviews

Thrifty Car Rentalrental representation

You have a business relationship with southwest airlines. We reserved a "full-size" car through a solicitation, with an estimated car cost of $267. Upon arrival, we were only offered a foreign four-cylinder car for travel in denver, colorado. To receive even a six-cylinder vehicle, we were up-charged to $418. The thrifty rep displayed very poor customer service skills, with a take it or leave it attitude. I feel thrifty's representation of vehicles through your website is very dishonest

Thrifty Car Rentaloverpriced car rental

I rented a car in Lanseria Airport, South Africa and found out later that they charged a very abusive rate, over than 3 times more of the usual rates you can see on-line. This was done without any notice from the company and by contacting them I got a very standard reply that the rates can vary slightly (which would be acceptable, but clearly the rate given for me was way over an acceptable limit)

Thrifty Car Rentalcar rental

I rented a car from Thrifty (from the 21st to the 24th of April) and they gave me a car with worn out and faulty tyre (putting my life in danger). I had to change to the spare tyre in the middle of my journey. Upon return of the vehicle, the company sent me an invoice of about R3000 to replace the tyre (which was faulty due to wear and tear). Instead of investing the matter to make sure that it is not repeated in the future, the company was rather interested in ripping me off to buy a new tyre. This is day-time robbery.

car rental
      car rental

Thrifty Car Rentalcharged for return fuel which I did not request.

I rented a vehicle at the Dayton, OH airport Thirfty car rental. I specifically declined the prepay fuel return option. (which I always do). I refilled the tank before returning the car. When I got the receipt, it showed I requested the prepay fuel option. I called customer service, who gave me the runaround. I just wanted my money back. Not to mention the car was dirty abs smelled terrible.

Thrifty Car Rentalcar rental

I arrived at Miami AirPort two days ago and came to Thrifty desk to pick up my car. First of all the behavior of the attendant was extremely impatient and rude. After this first contact I was informed that the car I had booked, for morge than a month in advance by the way, was not available and I would have to await a return to receive my car. I ask them for an upgrade and thay told me they didn't haverá larger car also. So I waited for more than one hour tô receive a car that again, I had booked for one month in advance. Terrible experience that certanly will not be repeated with this company.

Thrifty Car Rental — rate scam and damage fraud

Do not Rent from Thrifty, Hertz or Dollar. 2 BIG Reasons: 1. rate scam & 2. Loss Damage claim Scam: Hear my...

Toronto

Thrifty Car Rental — hidden damage scam

Hello THRIFTY I just wanted to voice my displeasure at the way your company does business… Firstly, on...

Cancun

Thrifty Car Rental — car rental dirty

I rented a car from thrifty at Columbia airport in South Carolina. They gave me a jeep renegade. The car wa...

Thrifty Car Rentala car rental

My name is Damy Petit I am a customer I rented a car for 1 day which was on 02/19/2017 to return it on 02/20/2017 the price was 34.95 + taxes it came out 56.01. Unfortunately I couldn't return it on the 20th therefore, I returned on the 22nd of February I extended for 2 more days. You guys charged me 354.33 which is ridiculous for a little small car the Rental record # [protected] if you don't guys don't fix it and reimburse me my money back I will never rent from this company including my families. Thanks!

• Po
                pobarjenkins Feb 23, 2017

The size of the car doesn't matter. The issue with not returning the vehicle on time is that they lost profit when it could have been rented by other customers. While I agree the amount is large, they have the right to charge whatever they want. A contract is filled out upon rental and you voided that contract. It's your fault and you don't deserve a refund at all. Make sure to tell your family that you lied when you said you'd return it in one day.

Thrifty Car Hire — deposit refund on car hire

Collected car at Cape Town international Airport on 21 December 2016 Returned car at George Airport on 24...

Johannesburg

Thrifty Car Rental — daily toll charge

I was quoted for $495.66 but billed $731.01 for "agreeing to the daily toll charge when I signed at pickup"...

Thrifty Car Rental — discrimination against african americans

On January 1, 2016, my daughter experienced discrimination based on Race when Thrifty Rental Car at Las Vega...

Thrifty Car Rentalyou charge us 326 846 dollars for something we did not accept I will not pay this

I payed the car inthe summer, we arrived 24 of november and order jeep cherioki but got dogde journey which we did not complain about, when we took the cr i sked if they would charge us anything extra, because i understood we had payed everything, the lady promised me everything was payd for when i took it, except if we wanted ypaz for the too.i said ok i will buy that she said it was 115 plus tax, and i said ok..idid not know she was going to charce us for returning the car empty.but she did 47 dollars...when we returned it some guys came they where in such a rush, which i did not understand we came 10 minits earlyer than we had to ..they almost through us out of the car, , very rude..and gave my husband a paper..which i did not see untill we where in the airport, You had bill me for 326.846 dollars for what? i am very upset that youwould do this and i am no paying you this amount, i will pay you 115+47 for gasoline though i am not happy about it .beacause the lady said it was payed already for..i hope you will repay me and be honest about this...i have often rented a car in the usa and never have i experiened such rudeness and dishonesty...hope you fix.took the car in Orlando airport nr to RR is [protected]. ´regards Ásthildur Óskarsdóttir

Thrifty Car Rental (Ripoff)charged for car I didn't rent. sister charged for extra days.

Stranded trying to catch plane from Atlanta to Dallas. Plane grounded due to weather. Flew to Houston to rent car to drive to Dallas from the Houston Hobby Airport in Houston. The people at the desk said if we did not book online they would not see us at the desk. I booked but my sister paid at the desk. I told the attendant to to not charge my card but my sisters because she decided to pay. They said they would. When I got home we were both charged. Not only that, they charged her extra and said she brought the car back to Houston. We drove one way. They also charged her for extra days. We have both gotten the run around. They told us Car Hire handles their disputes. We had the same run-around with them. This is a total scam. They also told her to return the car at a certain time in Dallas but when she went to drop it off they were closed. A total rip-off.

Thrifty Car Rental Chicagoextra charges

Prepaid 17days car hire prior to arriving at Chicago O`Hare airport. Collected car – the receptionist gave us paperwork and quickly used a highlighter to indicate what I thought we`d already paid for – nice to confirm the details of our car hire I thought.
                  Returned home after uneventful car hire and subsequently had nearly £400 debited from credit card by Thrifty for `extras`. Extras that we didn`t need; that hadn’t been explained to us at the desk and for which we had not asked nor had explicitly agreed to. Closer examination of the paperwork detailed the extras we had unknowingly and inadvertently purchased.

Moral of the story is watch out for the receptionist with the highlighter; asked for and scrutinize any paperwork given at the reception desk (even if there is a long line behind you- no pressure) BEFORE giving your credit card details. At least this way you will have choice and will not be presented with a large debit when you next get your credit card statement.

Thrifty Car Rentalrental

I was traveling from ny to myrtle beach so I booked a wild card with a total price of 72.90. They informed me that there would be a 200.00 deposit because I was using my debit card. They then asked me if I would like to use the onsight fueling at 1.93 a gallon. I said sure. Nothing else was said about it. She then asked me if I wanted an f150 or a dodge ram...I just looked at her weird. I said I don't drive pick up trucks. She said that it was what a wild card was and that is all they had. I took the ram and off I went. When I got to the hotel I look at my bank account and they had charged me 371.77. Apparently they estimated my gas to be 67.00. I barely drove it because I am not used to driving something so large in traffic. I didn't even use 1/4 of a tank so when I returned it I asked about being refunded on the gas because they estimated 67 but I barely used any. She said sorry. You paid for a full tank of gas...Nothing I can do...needless to say I will never use thrifty again. They are shady. If the clerk had told me I would have filled it myself...

• Wine Is Good Sep 11, 2016

Read the disclosures next time. Everybody knows you pay for a full tank no matter how much you drive.

Thrifty Car Rentalextra charge for reluctant upgrade

Hi my name is umit atalay and i made a reservation via rentalcars.com on date 28/08/2016.my ref number is [protected] and you can see the voucher down.Thirfty rental record number [protected]

My selection of car was compact class (ford focus or equal) and i fully paid for it online.But when i arrived on to take car on(02/09/16) thirfty office the guy on the front desk said there is NO compact class car available, and for upgrade to midclass car i must have to pay 150 usd (163.5 usd with taxes).i reluctantly had to pay that price and took a nissan sentra as midclass car.(you can also see the receipt they have given to me down)

How could i cannot take the car i want which i made a reservation 5 days earlier ?And why i have to paid 163.50usd more?i just feel like i have been deceived.

I made a search via web and i realized if you dont have a car as the class that i reserved the company should have upgrade my car FREE to upper class.

So what i want to say is i want you to charge back the fee that have taken from me.(163.5usd)
                      I know thirfty is a big car rental company and i hope this event just a misunderstanding.i hope we can solve it easily.if we dont i will make bad opinions on rentalcars&websites and i also going to take a legal action.

Thrifty Car Rentalexorbitant overcharge for vehicle upgrade.

We arranged for a rental vehicle at the boston airport (Logan) on july 30, 2016 with a return date of august 4, 2016. Our quote for the rental was between &700.00 - $800.00. Upon arrival it was apparent that we had more luggage than anticipated (Our daughter met us in boston with her 15 month old daughter, which necessitated her traveling with the usual abundance of equipment necessary for traveling with a small child). We were forced to upgrade to a larger vehicle and fully expected there would be an additional charge for the upgrade. We were not prepared to be charged $2, 303.56 for the upgrade, which is almost 3 times the rate were planning to pay. We were thoroughly disgusted with this blatant and ridiculous overcharge, but we had zero recourse at the time. Thrifty's rental record # is [protected] - we cannot locate a customer number in the documentation, but the license number of the vehicle was ny heg6008. Following our complaint, they offered us a paltry $100.00 refund, which is clearly almost insulting.

We were traveling on vacation so the trip was not business related, but i should note that i own an event planning company and we travel around the country for our clients who utilize our services to plan and coordinate their events/conventions. I plan to share this experience with all of my companions in the events industry - it is one of the most onerous treatments i have received from a service provider in over 30 years of working in the industry.

John Short Aug 20, 2016

Thrifty Car Rental - do not use them!

Dollar Thrifty Car Rentalrefund

I booked a car on Saturday the 11th of June 2016 after 12 noon and was to return it on the 14th of June 2016 at 12:05 noon. The car was returned on the 14th of June 2016 at 5am about 8 hours before the time it was due. The lady from the company had over charged me by R380.99 and wrote refund of the same amount on my Rental Agreement 863150 and the and i have been contacting Dollar Thrifty Car Rental from the 14th for my refund and they keep on telling me they will call me back, it is being processed and no one get backs to me. This is my money, it was not for Deposit and i don't owe the company anything.

Thrifty Car Rentalovercharged for additional car insurance when picking up car.

We flew into Montreal and had a rental car lined up for a 2 week period.
                            From May 17 -May 31/ 16. Once we got there the agent told me that he had to add the additional insurance although I told him to waive it as I have my own insurance. He told me this was routine and that it would be adjusted after the car was returned. I also had booked it in my name using my credit card and told them at the desk that my husband would be the sole driver. The told me that it was not possible to have him as the sole driver as this was booked in my name, so we had to add a 2nd driver at a cost of $13.50 a day.
                            They never even looked at the additional insurance charge upon the return of the car and of course charged it to the tune of $447.86. I am still seething from this overcharge.He told us if I did not pay that additional insurance that he could not release the car, even if I had additional coverage.

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices