Thrifty Rent A Car Logo

Thrifty Rent A Car

Having problems with Thrifty Rent A Car?

Thrifty Rent A Car reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Aug 17, 2006. The latest review False charge of $155 for body damage on my return car was posted on May 5, 2021. The latest complaint unreturned charges! was resolved on Oct 27, 2014. Thrifty Rent A Car has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 208 reviews. Thrifty Rent A Car has resolved 56 complaints.

Thrifty Rent A Car Customer Service Contacts

+1 800 847 4389 (Reservation Assistance)
+1 800 334 1705 (Customer Assistance)
2W2, P.O. Box 33167
Tulsa, Oklahoma
United States - 74153-1167

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Thrifty Rent A Car Customer Service. Initial Thrifty Rent A Car complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Thrifty Rent A Car above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Thrifty Rent A Car. Discuss the issues you have had with Thrifty Rent A Car and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Thrifty Rent A Car Complaints & Reviews

Thrifty Car Rentalcustomer service

When we called to make a reservation for a rental car for just one day... per your customer service we are not getting the best information... I was told one thing over the phone... then when I show up for the rental car!!! Well it is a new way of doing business... you can bet I will never call you ever !!! I got in touch with enterprise car rental and they were going the extra to make my experience a great time... You should look into getting better training for your employees... no one likes to be lied to and mislead... VERY UNHAPPY CUSTONER !!! !

Jana Nall Oct 12, 2015

Better employee's... Better training... Will make a big difference... I know that I are anyone in my family will not be a custom in our life time...

Thrifty Car Rentalcredit card billing long after rental

Rented regularly in Thrifty Jordan, last visit in Aug 15, next rental Thrifty UAE in October, Rented with Hertz in US Sept/Oct looked at my bank statement and see an Oct 5th Jordan Thrifty charge. Emails to [protected]@thrifty.com.jo went unanswered have now passed details of what I consider an illegal transaction on my account to my bank. I want to remove my Credit card Information from Hertz/Thrifty/Dollar.

credit card billing long after rental

• Da
        DavidSS Oct 13, 2015

Resolved!
        Thrifty notified me that I had a speeding ticket.
        I told Thrifty Jo that in the future, before simply billing the patron, they should make the Patron aware; this avoiding any confusion.

Thrifty Car Rentalprepayment made on reservation

On july 22nd i made reservation on line for a thrifty economy car for july 29th to aug 2nd, including insurance coverages. On same day i was charged $154 for prepayment of reservation.

On day of pickup i showed thrifty rental the reservation and prepayment documents, they said full balance of car will be paid on return of car.

On aug 2nd, the return of car i was charged the full value of car of $200.28 including all insurance coverage, but no consideration of the prepayment.

I have sent thrifty rent a car the billing dispute but they have not refunded me the prepayment of $154

Thrifty Car Rental Company — bait and switch dishonest practices.

I was shopping on-line for a car rental for our trip to Florida. I registered for the blue chip membership...

Thrifty Car Rental — overcharges

On Saturday june 6 2015 I walk into their office rent a compact car for 200 dollars weekly will bring thi...

Thrifty Car Rentalbait and switch - dishonored confirmation

I a an attorney, licensed in the state of Michigan. This morning I called the Thrifty Car Rental 800 number to reserve a midsize car for a one week rental period (May 31, 2015 through June 7, 2015). I was quoted a total price of $183.86. The car was scheduled to be picked up at the Tallahassee airport at 2 pm. My husband and I took a $60 cab ride to the airport and when we arrived at the counter we were told that they did not have a confirmation number for our reservation in their system. And that they were out of midsized cars, and would not honor the price, but that they had a more expensive larger car for us to rent. We protested saying that was bait and switch. And, that we had a confirmation number. The clerk was very rude and said a confirmation number is not a guarantee of a car, and that they don't have to honor the price. She said that the 800 number does not know what type of inventory the lot has and that they don't have to honor any quotes given by the 800 number. My husband told the clerk this was not acceptable, and was Fraud/Bait and Switch. He walked away from the counter as i called the 800 number from the counter. I was told by the 800 number clerk that I had a confirmed reservation and that it was a guaranteed car at a guaranteed price - and that she could see our confirmation in the computer. The counter clerk called her manager to come to the site and refused to look for our confirmation in her computer. I waited about 15 minutes till the manager arrived, in the meantime, I had the 800 clerk on the phone who confirmed with the site clerk that we had a reservation for a midsize car at $183.86. The clerk refused to look it up and said that her manager would handle things from here on. When the manager arrived, he said he refused to rent us a car because my husband had raised his voice to the clerk when she was trying to bait and switch him to a more expensive car. BAIT AND SWITCH IS FRAUD - ANYONE WOULD BE UPSET. Rather than apologizing for their fraudulent behavior of the clerk and honoring a quote for a guaranteed car they refused to give us a car. I had the 800 clerk on the phone the entire time, and she heard everything -- she apologized to me. We had to spend another $60 to take a cab home. This is unacceptable! We have used Thrifty in the past (Detroit Airport) and were quite satisfied. When they were out of a midsize car, they upgraded us -- they honored their guarantee and commitment. The manager here seemed to be very happy at his power and ability to send us away if we were not willing to pay the higher price. I am an attorney, and a very professional woman. My husband is also a professional. We treated the clerk and manager with respect, an do not appreciated being treated this way and told to have a nice day and go away. This is not how to run a business.

Thrifty Car Hire - Durbanfuel top-up charge incorrect

Watch out when using this car hire company...we have used Thrifty several times with no problem but on this last occasion ending 24/12/14 we were disappointed to find an extra fuel top-up charge on my CC when we had actually re-fuelled the car some 10 minutes & 10km prior to the drop-off. Despite their staff not following the car return process by failing to fill in the fuel tank gauge position as provided for and us as a courtesy, providing the last fuel slip for the top-up, Thrifty insisted that we had not re-fuelled and would not reverse the charge. Shows how careful you have to be. I am disappointed that having been a regular customer 2/3 times p.a. they treated me this way and refused to acknowledge their own shortcomings. after a very frustrating process and a dogmatic approach to trying to resolve the problem I eventually had to concede defeat!. Needless to say, on principle, I cannot choose Thrifty again and would advise renters to choose another car rental company,

Thrifty Car Rentalsovercharged, incorrect details on invoice

I arranged for a rental car, over the internet, for 1 day whilst I was in Sydney. I collected the car at Sydney Airport at approximately 4.00pm on Tuesday 10-02-2015. I returned the car to Sydney Airport at approximately 4.00pm on Wednesday 11-02-2015 as I had a return flight to Townsville leaving at 5.30pm. I was quoted $121.36 and my credit card was charged that amount on 10-02-2015. On the final invoice which was emailed to me it stated that the car was returned to Canberra Airport on 12-02-2015. As a result of this mistake my credit card was charged a further $252.69 on 12-02-2015. I rang their customer service number [protected] and was told that it would be better if I spoke directly to the office I collected the car from or their Sydney CBD office and the operator gave me those numbers. I rang the airport office on [protected] and was placed directly on hold for more than 10 minutes. I hung up and rang the Sydney CBD number [protected] ending with the same result so I hung up again. A bit later, approx. 30 minutes, I rang the numbers again with the same result but finally was able to leave a message for them to ring me back. I still hadn't heard from them a day later so I left a message through their "contact us" tab on their internet site. I received a return email to say they would contact me within 24 hours. They didn't. I left similar messages on their web site the following 3 days in a row. I was also able to leave another message on one of the Sydney numbers I had. I still haven't heard from them and they still have my money. Please help.

• Ki
                King1970 May 23, 2011

420-350=70...your cost is $160 and it compact not compacked...so based on your spelling and math...u deserve to be ripped off.

• Hi
                hillschelina May 13, 2011

I rented a car from thrifty car's, the car was $160.00 to rent after fee's and mis. I payed $420.00. it told to me that $350.00 would be returned after the rented time, But they lied.Don't ever go to these guy's. and it was for a small compacked car. $420.00

Thrifty Car Rental — car rental ft myers airport

This was the worst rental car experience I have had in memory and I travel a lot. Starts with the Thrifty...

Thrifty Car Rentaldeception

I went through expedia .com and got a car rental but when i got their christmas morning they said the insurance i bought threw expedia for the car is invalid so i had to buy the insurance threw Thrifty then she said i had to buy $20.00 toll tag to get out of the airport and nex had to pay a $450.00 deposit for the car to so suddenly my 87.00 dollar car rental suddenly turned into a 557.00 car rental for only two days .so i refused be held hostage and scammed by thrifty so I left with a car on Christmas morning which ruined our Christmas holiday . i did call expedia back the next business day and they said they would refund me my car rental but it might a few weeks just to get it back as well so i thank expedia for lovely adventure to nowhere .i had better stop before say some bad words about these ;low life greedy thieving jerks .

Thrifty Car Rentalthey took large sum from me, but I didn't find my car

It was real scam. I paid money for the car rental and also they took for some additional fees and charges. I wasn’t sure what these charges included, but I paid, ‘coz I needed car. When I arrived at the airport, I couldn’t find car. The phone was switched off and it was impossible to reach these scammers. They are liars and scammers, so be careful and better avoid them. As well as post comments about your experience with them.

Thrifty Car Rentalunreturned charges!

I reserved a car from thrifty car rental online.
                  When I arrived at the desk, they informed me that I needed to put a 1, 000 dollar deposit on a vehicle with a master card gold card. Something most people do not have.
                  They then proceeded to say I had to buy insurance, of which 1, 100 euro was charged to my credit card! It supposed to cover the cost of the deductible, to be reimbursed upon return of an undamaged car.
                  I returned my car to the airport where the intake inspector walked the car over and declared it "good".
                  1 week later the 1100 euro has not been returned. I received an email saying that the car was damaged!!!
                  I saw no damage. The intake inspector saw no damage! I am home now and cannot verify that there is damage.
                  These people are taking it upon themselves to utilize my 1100 euro as they see fit!!!
                  I want my money back. And I want an apology and this corrected! I rented from the desk at munich airport in germany.

Thriftyoverbilled international car rental

Computer reservation for August 16-25, 2014 quoted 597.69 Euro for 7 passenger Automatic van. When I arrived to Thrifty airport counter, Darrelle Diarmuid (Thrifty employee) takes my printout, states I need to pay for upgrade to automatic. I ask for my printout back to prove that an automatic van was on the reservation and he refused to give it back to me. I was charged 1085.02 Euro and was given an SUV with a pull-up back seat, not a van. My case# with Thrifty is 2290951. I have called every week since 9/2/14 only to now be referred to Hertz. Today a Hertz employee has confirmed that Hertz will be handling Thrifty cases. I expect to be reimbursed for the difference. I expect immediate action or I will be reporting to the authorities for business relations in both US and Ireland. My name is Karin Jocham, phone [protected].

• Na
                        NadiaQ07 Dec 26, 2013

We made a reservation at Thrifty Mexico City Airport location and our car was not available, they almost ruined our Christmas vacation. We had to spend 2 hours trying to find a vehicle at other car rental companies. Their customer service line in the US didn't provide any help.

Thrifty — terrible customer service

If I could give a negative score to Thrifty, they would deserve it. Went on vacation 2 weeks ago and...

Thrifty Car - Orlando Airportdouble charged

I rented a car in September 27 till October 6 in Orlando Airport.
                      When I was doing all the process to rent the car, I paid in cash. And the person who I gave the documents and the money asked me for my credit card for "Hold" in case something happend, and he said to me that this credit car won't be charged the amount of $ 762.77 because I was paying in cash.
                      Just this month that I verified my account and saw that I was charged the same amount that I paid in cash.

Dont Trust Thrifty Car! Your call center just told me that "didn't locate any overpayment". So thats it. I just lost $700. unbelievable.

Thrifty Car Rental Dubai Hilton Jumeirahbad service and charge too much

This is my rental experience with Thrifty Hilton Jumeirah in Dubai. Please read this so you will know how they work.

During our holiday in Dubai we decided to rent a car. Thanks to our hotel (Hotel Grand Excelsior) they could arrange a car rental with one of your branches (Thrifty Hilton hotel Jumeirah)

So we decided to do that and we rent the car from November 12th till 14th. Everything went well, an employee brought the car and we made an agreement that we had to return the car on November 14th at 12 o'clock (in stead of 10 o'clock). We also decided to rent a GPS and that was no problem.

On November 14th we didn't have enough time to refill the fuel so the fuel gage stripe was only 1 stripe below how we got it. But we didn't want to pay for an extra day (if we would refill the fuel we would be back after 12) so we decided not to tank.

At 11.57 o'clock we arrived at the hotel, just like the agreement we made. But the employee wasn't there so the man from the hotel who arranged this all for us (Josh) called to the branch. They said that they would be there soon. After 45 minutes of waiting no one was there so Josh called again. Again they said they would be there soon. Meanwhile it was 13.30 o'clock and we were waiting for 1, 5 hours (!!!)

We decided to give the money (660 AED) to Josh, so we could enjoy our last day in Dubai.

When we came back in the evening I saw that I received an email from Thrifty. It was the bill with an amount of 600 AED. Kind of strange the GPS of 60 AED wasn't on the bill, but I knew I needed to pay for it so I didn't give it any attention.

But when we came home I received an email with the following text: your MasterCard has been charged 280 AED for the following: rent and SDW. I was confused, so I immediately sent an email to Thrifty Jumeirah. They respond that they didn't take any money and that they were sorry.

But when I checked my account I saw that they charged 110 AED. So again I mailed them and they said 110 AED was 60 AED GPS and 50 AED salik (toll road) charges. I could understand the 50 AED. But why should I pay for 4 days GPS if I only had it for 2 days?

They also sent me a summary of the costs :

Rental: 245 * 2 = 490aed

Insurance: 35 *2 = 70aed

Collection Charge = 20aed

GPS: 30*2 = 60aed

Salik Charges = 50aed

Fuel Difference = 20aed

Total = 710aed

I was surprised so I decided to call Josh and he would call the company about the 60 AED. Then I received an email from Josh:

“Hi! My apologies for the overcharge.

I have talked to the person in charge, and he will be refunding AED 60 to your account SOONEST POSSIBLE.”

Well, I could live with that but unfortunately this wasn't all because on December 2th I received an email:

Your master credit card xxxx xxxx xxxx xxx5 has been charged AED 280 for the following:

Particulars Amount

-------------------------------------------------------------

Rent 245

SDW 35

-------------------------------------

I couldn't believe it! Again they took money from MasterCard? Just like they did before? And also the reservation of 1000 AED was still on my credit card. I started to become impatient. So AGAIN I wrote an email. On December 3rd Josh talked with the managers and he wrote me an email about that:

“Good morning. I tried to call you but the phone went to answering machine, I went to the car rent and met with the managers, I told them about the disappointment they have caused and they should have by now refunded the money AED 280 back to your account. They have released the blocked amount and please check your credit statement.”

And I also received an email of one of the employees from Thrifty:

“Dear Mr.Lorgan/Ms.Felina,

Good day!

As discussed now, refund is processed and finally you can see the amount reflected in one week to maximum 10 days time.

Thank you for your patience!

Best regards

Faisal

Thrifty Car Rental”

I wrote him back to say that I was happy that I would get my money back but It really bothers me that when I wanted to return the car that I had to wait for 1, 5 hours for someone from the company and because of that I couldn't refill the fuel and now I'm paying the price with 20 AED extra for the fuel difference and waiting for 1, 5 hours.

He answered with that with a maximum of 10 days I would have my 280 AED back and about the fuel difference a policy is.

But in my opinion you shouldn't treat your customers like this. Since when is it ok to let your customer wait for 1, 5 hours.. Not even apologize about that, charge the GPS for too many days, charge an extra day of renting (2 times).

And besides all that till this day (January 3rd) I am still waiting for my 60 AED and my 280 AED refund !!!

So please look out! I also called the headoffice of Thrifty (located in the USA) 2 times and im still waiting for answer of them.

Thrifty Car Rental — dishonest quotes

WARNING!!! Do not rent from this Thrifty! I think all their agents are trained on all the best ways to scam...

Dollar / Thrifty Car Rentalcharging for ashes on outside of the car body

the manager judged that i smoked in the car and decided to charge $75. i told her u can not decide ur self, this "a conflict of interest". only a judge in a court can decide if we do not agree. but she charged my credit card.
                          What should I do to stop the charges?

• **SuperMan** Nov 04, 2012

Did you smoke in the car? Tell the truth...

Thrifty Car Rental — overcharged

Booked a reservation through orbitz, rate quoted was $371.60. They charged me $583.67 upon return of the car...

Thrifty Car Rental — scam

Thrifty Rental agent is a good scam artist & his performance supported by Thrifty Customer Service. Agent...