Complaints & Reviews

Trick _ the brick payment protection plan

I suddenly found in my brick card statement, there is payment protection plan which I never agreed to add to...

4 comments Mississauga Furniture

poor customer service and broken promises

We bought a bed and mattress the first week of December 2007. I paid $75 for the delivery which was occur on...

delivery service

Every personnel I encountered, with one exception, was both incompetent AND rude, from the sales floor to the...

the brick store sales associate

To whom it may concern, I am writing this complaint in hopes that a wrong done to me can be corrected. On...

scam and cheating!

I was promised delivery and it never happened on november 24th. A plethera of excuses were made... Including...

1 comment Kingston Furniture

3 month back order!

I am not one to complain, but The Brick is absolutely ridiculous. I bought and paid for some furniture for my new home. I bought a mattress set, a chair and ottoman, a 9 piece dinette and a couch and loveseat.
I bought all of this 1 month before I was moving in, and asked them to deliver on my move in date.
I received a call 1 week before I moved in, saying that everything except the mattress set was on back order. I could accept a partial delivery and wait until everything else came in.
The dinette was on back order for 1.5 months, and the living room set on back order for 3 months.
The only option I was ever offered was to come in and pick something else out and if it ws in stock, I could get it right away.
I decided to do this for the dinette set. I found a comparable set that was $100 more expensive ($1000 versus $1100). The salesman informed me that I'd have to pay the extra $100 difference.
It's as if all they care about is selling, even if they don't have the furniture for you when they promised they would.
I'm completely out of luck, and the only options I have ever been presented with are in The Brick's favor. Nobody at The Brick seems to care.

• Er
    Erin Jonasson Nov 06, 2008

I completely agree. I aswell am not one to complain but I purchased a couch and king bed on April 21/08 I got the bed right away since it was the only one left in stock and i bought the floor model. the couch on the other hand, The brick told me I wouldnt be able to have my couch delivered until june 5/08 i was not impressed but went with the transaction anyways since they promised it would be no later. after many phone calls and rude customer service. My couch has finally arrived in store today which is NOV.6/08 they also will not deliever my couch until tomorrow since there truck doesnt come out (10 mins) away from their store today. During the wait they were very rude and also would only offer $100 off since it will then cut into "their" cost or i could come in a pick a different couch that was in stock. I will never buy anything from the brick again. also to mention the bed i bought the same day the frame is already broken. good job!

Sarah123 Aug 02, 2009

So you paid an extra 100$ and got your set 1.5 months sooner than expected? It doesn't work in their favour only it is also working in yours since you dont have to wait that long.
    And since the Brick has ZERO control over how fast the manufacture makes the product, I suggest you call the manufacture in China and ### about how the child labourers aren't making your furniture fast enough while they are losing their fingers.
    Three words: Suck it up

not delivery

l order a armoire on Oct.20 2007 was told at that time delivery was nov.10 2007 its was OK so on Oct 24 l called to see if it was coming on that day told yes someone will call Nov 10 between 7am-9am no one call so at 930 l called the store they said l was not on the delivery sheet asked why they said they didn't know someone will call me back in about 1 hour l called again at 1130 and asked to speck to a manage she get back to me OK l forward my phone and went to the store they said they were sorry but have no reason that l was told the armoury was going to be delivery because it was not in the plant.l stop my order and got my money back but l will never go to the brick. the people l talk to on Sat Nov 10 in the store in Customer service dept. rune and very uncaring as l went ed my try the manage was rune to a customer before me

jamielc Sep 07, 2010

my husband and i needed a new couch very badly so we have been shopping around for a while testing out A LOT of couches until we found the right one, which was hard because most of them were either too soft or rock hard. we fell in love with one but it wasnt on sale so two weeks ago( the secon last weekend in aug i think) and we saw that not only was it on sale but the floor model chair was being sold. It was a good deal and in good shape so we decided to take both. They didnt have the colour of couch we wanted there so it had to be ordered and we didnt want to pay 70 dollars for delivery when we live 5 mins away. we were told it would be in the following friday which worked for us becuase he was on vacation. we arrarnged to use husbands fathers van who lives in hamilton( 30 mins away) to pick up said furniture. on that friday husband drove all the way to hamilton( FIL was busy with work so couldnt come to us) picked up his van drove back to brantford with his nefew to help carry the couch and chair got to the brick and they had ordered us the wrong colour!!! husband asked what they would do for us becuase we had just got rid of our couch the day before making room for the new one and they said we could drive to missisauga and get it (50+ mins depending on traffic) and have 75$ taken off the price or free delivery on tusday. we took te free delivery on tuesday. the next day ( a sat) we went t my mothers for the day to visit and get home and see that the brick called. He calls them back and they tell us that we didnt call them to tell them what we wanted to do so our delivery has been pushed back to wed!!! husband states that he was there IN PERSON and told the guy in the back who was dealing with the couch that we would take the tuesday del option. the person onn the phone then wants to know the name of the person we talked to still trying to get us to accept wed delivery. NO WAY! we have no couch!!! only the chair!!! where are we supposed to sit??!! after some talking they reluctantly agree to the tuesday delivery. They said they would call in the morning and let me kno when they are coming. it is now 10:22am and no phone call yet. If it doesnt come today when we either want a bigger discount for our troubles or we are returning everything and going else where! we will NEVER EVER shop at the brick unless we can take it home that day!!!

12:31 and no call yet husband is on the phone with them right now

jamielc Sep 07, 2010

husband just got off the phone with them and now they are saying that they have us penciled in for next friday!!! I DONT THINK SO!! ITS ALL GOING BACK!

• Kh
    KH22 Sep 24, 2012

Just so you know, if they call you to tell you your item is in for delivery & you cannot take delivery when they say, they will give it to someone else, They say there policy is after 7 days they will do this but apparently being told on a Monday & a Tuesday that I would have to call back if I wanted delivery of my item next week and then when I call on the Monday I am informed that there is no product.
    Guess there 7 day policy which was not disclosed was not honoured. I have a call in to the store but somehow doubt I will be called & if I am will not have my item delivered this weekend. Not impressed at all - quote from The Brick, "Our Commitment is to you...our customer, " If this is true there will the dining set I ordered & paid for delivery, delivered on Saturday. Otherwise bad customer service.

• Mh
    mh772006 Oct 01, 2012

I had a bedroom set delivered. The delivery guy said he could not move all of the items to the bedroom on the 3rd floor, so he left the dresser on the main floor and said he would return. A month later, the dresser is still on the main floor. I have been out of the country so they can not take my calls nor can they call me to organize this. My boyfriend has been calling and they are not returning his calls.

This is unprofessional!!

bad bed

My husband ans I bought a new bed at the brick and had to send it back it was to hard, so we bought a new one at a higher cost they delivered it and it had a ripe in the bottom of the box spring so I called them in courtenay and they came and fixed it. We tried to sleep in the bed and found that we were both falling into the center of the bed, we both suffer with vary bad pains we both cannot sleep together in the bed. We called and they told us that serta would contact us and never did. So here we are with a bed that cost $2279.97 and cant sleep on it, what do they do with the beds that do get returned sell them to someone else, is that why we have to buy a bed cover for each bed, so i'm thinking that we got a bed that someone else slept in, so what can we do to get a new bed from them it is very sad that we cant sleep in the bed. Very unhappy.

• Rs
    RSPMMS Apr 05, 2008

We purchased the Bricks best Sealy Mattress on sale with a mattress pad which was to give us a 6 months satisfaction guarantee. It is now been two months since we received and it sags like it is five years old. We went to the Brick to find out about exchanging it under their GUARANTEE and found out that the GUARANTEE is really worth nothing. What they do is give you credit for what you paid and charge retail for anything new. So if the mattress you bought listed for $2600 and you bought it on sale for $1700 and wanted a replacement mattress that listed for $2500 they would charge you $800 to exchange for a lower priced mattress even if it the lower priced mattress was on sale for $1500.

This is a scam, stay away from them, there are firms out there that actually do stand behind their products and this isn't one.

• Ra
    Ram Sharma Jul 22, 2008

Yesterday I bought a Seally Crown Jewel Mattress "ECLIPFQPK" for $1599, that was listed for $ 2760 and today found out that another store named "Simply Elegant" http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-furniture-King-Size-Sealy-PosturePedic-DSS-Luxury-Top-of-the-line-mattress-W0QQAdIdZ61655052 was selling the same mattress for $ 999. So I went back to Brick (Brampton / Bovaird) for Price match as per their policy to match the price and pay 10% of diff, first they didn't believe, once I showed them website and listing, they said that We have the exclusive right to sell this mattress, so the question is why the hell are you boasting to price match, it's all ### and cheap marketing. I cancelled my order and will never go back to them. Found out that mattress costed them $798 and they make 100% profit on it. What if some poor guy buy it for listed price of $1999.

• Ra
    Ram Sharma Jul 22, 2008

Sorry, So I went back to Brick (Brampton Airport / Queen) for Price match

Mary Campbell Aug 06, 2008

Reply to Don Silver:
    I have not been to The Brick in Brampton, but in the store in Vernon, BC we give you the credit toward another mattress as a comfort guarantee. If you choose a lower priced mattress, we give an instore credit for the remainder. We do not jack up the price on sale mattresses to retail either.

Reply to Bad Bed:
    As for sagging that is under the manufacturers warranty. I am sorry but it seems to be true, that you have to be persistent sometimes to get action, but it will pay off. If you want a new mattress, do not buy anything labelled *as is* sometimes they are merely discontinued or have damage, but sometime they are returns under the sleep guarantee.

Reply to Ram Sharma:
    The Brick does indeed price match, but mattresses are specifically made for each retailer by the manufacterer. The price match does count instore, if the mattress you purchases should go on sale within 30 days you can have the difference refunded.

• Ni
    niki20102003 Oct 14, 2010

I Bought in Christmas 2009, bedrooms sets for all my kids very happy with the service in the Barrie, ontario store, decided to go back, late june 2010 thought i was happy with the sevice to decided to buy a washer and dryer(maytag) got it devierd june 28, 2010, I was gone most of july and aug, well begining of sept it started acting up, me being a single parent of four children under the age of 11 with a autistic child had called a week after I relized somrthing was wrong just to have the warrant company come and say not only did the pump go but the motherboard awell so that being said the service tec that oraginal came to check to see what was wrong ordered the parts(from my house phone) that needed to repaired well he comes back with part in his hands prepared to fix it, starts to try to repair it, then relized that they sent him the wrong part to fix the product so he left again trying to find the right part well we are still waiting for this to be fixed this has cost me a arm and a leg to do all my cleaning at the landury mat this is the worst that could have happen to my family they do not stand behind thier product I do not wish this on anyone I hope they fix very soon, but I was just on the phone trying to see where my parts are and they yet to be shipped very sad spending $2800 this is unreal. you know with christmas around the corner I don't know what is going to happen for my children this year...

• Wt
    WTF:p Apr 21, 2012

The brick price match is [email protected]! Won't give me the price visions AND best-buy are advertising on a TV, they want $150 bucks more. Customers should unionize together so we can sue these punks for lying and stealing. Crooks!

worst customer service and delivery!

I spent thousands of dollars at one of their stores recently, and expected good service. Let's start outside the store:

A woman was doing a survey on client's spending habits there, and once the form was filled out, gave you a $25 Brick card to 'spend on anything'. When I presented that to the salesperson, he brushed it away and said "not on appliances".

Inside the store, now. The salesguy was nice enough, once we found one (we went 15 minutes without anyone even noticing us). I then told him what I was buying, and he offered me a 3 year extended warranty. I pointed to their sign that showed "Frigidaire and Whirlpool: 3 year FREE warranty on ALL PRODUCTS". He said "Oh, not on this one, though." I insisted, and he went to the manager, who offered me a 5 year warranty for $50. Sketchy, no?

Now, the delivery. One of my purchases was a front loading washer/dryer set with pedestals. The washer weighs a ton. The deliver guys (3!) showed up, and I said "You DO install it, right?" to which one replied "Well, no... your husband can do it, it's easy", and left us with the set. The one thing they did do was to bring the washer into the laundry room (a few feet away from where they were) and in the process, hit my piano, damaging the outside. I noticed this just after they left.

After a phone call to customer service to find out something about installation, I was then told that the delivery guys were supposed to set EVERYTHING up (except plumbing). She gave me an email address to send my complaint, which I did. 5 days have gone by, and nothing. I called the store directly, and was told that any damages would be a case of "he said she said", and basically "yeah, good luck". The fact that nothing was installed didn't seem to be any deal to them.

I will now file a complaint with our provincial BBB, and will never, EVER buy from the Brick again. Awful, and what a bunch of liars!

• Gi
    gishaw Jul 24, 2008

My daughter and her family moved from Victoria B.C. to Ottawa on July 1st. Two weeks earlier we bought 2 mattress sets, a chesterfield and a tv set. We impressed upon the salesman that they needed to be delivered on July 2nd because they would be arriving on the 1st with nothing in the house. The salesman in Kelowna phoned the Ottawa store and they assured him that they had everything in stock except the tv. It is now July 23rd and they finally got the order filled. There were a whole bunch of issues between the first and the 23rd and I can tell you that they looked like a bunch of amateurs. We will also never buy from the Brick again.

• Da
    DanV Nov 17, 2011

Nothing but problems with delivery, merchandise and wrong billing ever since I purchased my appliances 6 months ago. Merchandise is sold but not in stock, end up buying more expensive merchandise. Equal payments is wrong and been paying double and been talking to HSBC and the Brick a number of times to no avail. Brick managers say the problem is rectified but it never is and keep going back to the store. Managers are hardly there. Delivery is constantly cancelled and then delivered to wrong address on wrong date. Washer and dryer are defective and go to store to complain constantly but no one sends a technician or replaces the products. Will never purchase anything at the Brick again as long as I live. Should I seek consumer protection?

• Da
    DanV Nov 17, 2011

Same as above.

poor service!

We bought a WTW5540SQ Whirlpool Washing machine from The Brick 1 year and two weeks ago. One day after the...

poor service!

I purchased 10,000.00 worth of kitchen appliances form The Brick in August 2006. The wall oven I purchased...

false advertising and bait and switch games!

Not one to usually complain, I just thought I would log this one with someone, in hope that something comes of it, and perhaps the brick furniture company is held accountable.

The brick furniture company, a national chain advertised in their flyer for the labor day weekend, saturday sept 1st two items. A prima 26" lcd tv for $249. It was a door crasher. When I got to the store and ask the salesman if he had any left, he looked at me and pointed to a pile of soya tv's at $488. When I questioned him, about the ones for $249 he quickly replied oh that, well that was a mis-print. I believe there was a disclaimer published about that. (Note: I checked their store and their flyer and the local paper the flyer came in, and found no disclaimer.

Anyway I then asked him about the bbq they had on sale for $44. He had to look it up on the computer, and then said oh we have none, and looks like none came in. My complaint is simple. It appears that they regularly do this kind of bait and switch routine, and are not too concerned about it. I left with the impression, that this is part of the game, but really this is just simply deceptive marketing.

What can be done to stop these guys and I am sure others from doing this? Plz advise smb!

Sincerely,

Al turcotte
Pembroke ontario
K8a 1r7
[protected].

• Na
    Nathan May 06, 2008

Geeze you sound like you have never made a mistake, I have seen lots of adds that turned out to be wrong, or misprinted, the notices are all over the store and on the doors as you enter, next time try looking around and keep in mind that even you are not perfect

• Ly
    Lynda May 21, 2008

I have had a few less costly and one very costly experiences with the brick
    I bought two very expensive recliners, about 1, 000.00each after 3 months the mechanisms where shot. I am not a big person and since they where only used by my husband and myself they did NOT take any rough use. I called to have a service man come to the house, which took months, the mechanisms where eventually replaced by just as bad crap which only lasted again a few months. By this time the Brick claimed the one year warranty on these barely used pair of chairs was at an end. JUNK... second time stupid I purchased a leather couch and loveseat. Top of the line, I was told, will last a lifetime. I paid the premium price of 4, 000.00 for both pieces. Two weeks later the set was on for half price!
    I spoke to "the manager" who said begrudgingly that he would honour the sale price. Since I bougt on the no-money down deal, he said I would see the adjustment on my next statement. I did not. I called the store and asked to speak with the manager, Guess what ! new manager in the store. I was handed this line of BS for about 2 months. I finally went to the store in person and requested the adjustment be made to my account while I was present. by now the furniture was no longer on sale and the NEW manager says " oh that set would never go on sale, you must be mistaken" I don't think so, I sit on it everyday. The only thing I was mistaken on was the credability of this scam show.

The Brick gets a big thumbs down from this girl. Third time shopping and I tried Leons...we'll see.

Sarah123 Aug 01, 2009

With 220 stores across the country and literally millions of flyers made and printed daily it is expected that once in a while there may be some mistakes. These mistakes are generally caught right away and The Brick is LEGALLY required to post a correction notice in thier store, which is done on a regular basis.

As for the 44$ BBQ's that aren't available. Do you honestly believe that every store has a manufacturing company in their basement? No, all of the product comes from across the world and only some large metropolitan cities have distribution centers. Those BBQ's were probably sold out considering the fact that people line up outside in the early hours of the morning to purchase door crasher items.

This "bait and switch" technique that you speak of is a regular occurance in ALL BUSINESSES. For ANY business to be able to print such a low cost item there has to be ONLY ONE in all of North America. Every single car dealership as well as furniture stores and other retailers use this technique. It is called "fishing" and it even taught in marketing classes in Universities.

Before going to any store and blaming the employees and managers of "lying" to you, I suggest you further educate yourself on marketing techniques and maybe realize that you cannot always get what you want.

• Re
    rebutal Jan 30, 2010

try openning up a future shop flyer then open up your local paper. Check out this site for leons complaints..lol.
    i got to agree with Sarah onthis one...

6 weeks waiting and then told that model is discontinued

I purchased a Maytag refrigerator from the Brick on April 24th, 2007. I was given an estimated delivery date...

delivery of defective furniture

In June of '05 i purchased an entertainment wall unit off The Brick.com To be told that my delivery...

payment protection plan is a rip off!

I purchased a bed 06/06/2006. Return it 6 months latter for a new one. Then I received a bill charging me $ 623.00 for payment protections. I had no knowledge of this, when I returned the first bed. The sale lady asked me to sign two times, not know about the payment protection plan, I sign up for. This is fraud to me. I have wrote and call over 10 times, and was told thats to bad, you should read what you sign.

• Je
    JEremy Savoie Jan 26, 2008

I was posed this same issue. at time of purchase I read what i was signing, if you would have done so you would know why your havethe payment protection plan. This is not fraud as the information was clearly displayed infront of you

I asked about this when i signed it. the sales person explainedto me that i get one month free and afterwards it was the stadard fee.

He explained to me that i simply had to call city financial to cancel it once i received my first bill. sounded simple enoug hto me. I did so and the problem never became an issue

Fraud.....NO
    Example of someone not reading before they sign.......YES

Sarah123 Aug 01, 2009

In response to your complaint about the “Payment Protection Plan” please be aware that this would NOT be added to your bill if you HADNT signed for it. If you go into a brick store they are able to print out your original credit application and show you the SIGNED COPY with YOUR signature. If you would like this to be cancelled simply go into the nearest Brick loaction, fill out a small form, and it will be cancelled THAT DAY.

Dont blame others because of your inability to ask questions about the papers you are signing.

• Ha
    haushinka Oct 20, 2009

This was added to my bills even though I never signed for it. I had to go into the store and speak to them and ask for a copy of my original contract where they realized that I did not sign and after pursuing they refunded all my money.

crappy quality furniture

A copy of email to the brick: The brick [protected] avenue Edmonton, ab t5m 3s2 Fax...

delivery/product/personnel - one big problem!

The following correspondence was sent to the recipients aug 25 and I still have yet to receive a reply. Think...

service is absolutely unacceptable

We purchased a couch on and two chairs on April 16th 2006 from the Brick at 3451 Sunridge Way N.E. Calgary...

7 months to wait for 2 chairs

The following email explains my complaint. I have sent this to various executives at the Brick and I am not...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices