Telkom SA SOCovercharging me, can't get telkom to rectify their mistake on my invoice

S Aug 16, 2018

In October 2016 I took out a Telkom mobile contract for my son. The deal is R299 for an iPhone 5 with 1GB.

Then on 27th of July 2017 I took out another mobile contract with Telkom. The deal was R1066 for a package that includes one iPhone 6, one iPhone 7, with one FreeMe 1GB.

On 15 May 2018 a Telkom sales consultant called me to tell me that two of the three numbers on my account uses more than the allocated 1 GB a month and he suggested that I bump it up to 2 GB each a month for an extra charge of R50 per number per month, which I then agreed upon.

However on the 7th of June 2018 I received an invoice for R12 842, 58. When I received the invoice via e-mail I immediately called Telkom to tell them there is a major mistake on my invoice and they should amend it and send a new one. On the invoice it stated: Device obligation / carryover for R11 802, 57. This means that I should pay what I owe on the devices in one payment, but I took out a contract to pay the devices off over two years.

Also the sales person I spoke to on the 15th of May bumped up my data to 5 GB, which I never agreed upon, for a charge of R305/month. He never bumped up the 1 GB to 2 GB on the other number he referred to in our telephone conversation.

I called numerous times in the month of June to get Telkom to rectify the invoice before the end of June, before the debit order would go off from my bank account. They never did. After the amount was taken from my account I called again to say that I was going to reverse the payment, as I do not have that sort of cash to pay for something I did not order. I then asked my bank to reverse the funds. After that I called again to tell Telkom that I did this and they must please send the correct invoice for me to make a payment, as I do not want my phone to be blocked. I also asked the person I spoke to at the call center if I should just pay an amount that will cover my usual bill, so that I don't get cut off, she said not to do this, they will send me the amended invoice, and I can pay that. I am still waiting for Telkom to send me the amended invoice for the correct amount.

At the end of July all three numbers on my account has been blocked.

I have called many time, I went into the Telkom store at Canal Walk, I have e-mailed Telkom, I spoke to someone in an online Telkom chat room, I have posted on their Facebook page. I even wrote a letter to Hello Peter.

This morning I woke up to see that Telkom has taken two payments from me. One for R2 500, and one do for R13 045, 61, a total of R15 545, 61. They still have not rectify their mistake on their side and the drama continues. What should I do? Do I reverse this payment again? They've taken the money, but the phones are still blocked, how does this work?