Target Corporationdebit card scam

W Review updated:

I have shopped for years at this Target store as it is one of the limited choices we have in Jacksonville, NC. I have experienced bad service and attitude from a lot of the employees and overcharges at the register but this last experience really takes the cake. I had recently received a letter from Target stating that my Target card qualified me for 5% discount on all purchases made with my card. However when I went to use the card it was now closed due to inactivity. I decided to go ahead and get another card and went with the Target Red Debit card since I usually like to use cash. The cashier told me it was just like using a check or my own debit card and that the funds would just be transferred from my bank account. That sounded pretty good as I debit anyway and now I would get a 5% discount. I proceeded to make a $200 purchase that first day and when I received the debit card in the mail a week later, I went to the store and made another purchase for almost $200 again. The cashier at that time helped me locate a piggy bank that my son had been looking for so I proceeded back into the store to purchase it. That made my second transaction of the day. I went home but my daughter requested pain medication so I went back to the Target and got a basket of goods totaling about $40. Upon trying to use the debit card I was declined which totally threw me. I tried to ask the cashier what could be the problem since I had just used it but she smirked at me, shrugged her shoulders, and said there was nothing she could do to help me figure out what happened. I asked if the service desk would be able to help but she just shrugged her shoulders again and said I could try. The customers behind me were staring, the cashier was still smirking, and I was getting worried that my card and bank account had been tampered with. I quickly paid with my regular debit card which went through with no problem at all and rushed home to call the Target Debit card 1-888 number. I waited on hold for a while, explained my situation, and quickly got transferred to another division. I again waited a while and was finally greeted by an Indian lady who kept repeating the transactions I had completed during the day and that I had too many transactions and I had to wait a few days until the transactions cleared the system. What?! Who ever heard of a debit card that would only work twice every few days? When I asked her for details about how many transactions were allowed per how many days, she claimed that there was no way of knowing. I pointed out that the debit card was basically worthless than if I couldn't depend on using it and that I would never have signed up for a Target Debit card if I had known that it wasn't usable and that there would be not discount available. She said there was no way to know any details in order to clarify use of the card and when I asked to speak to someone who would know the details of the Target Red card, she said there was nobody who knew. I was flabbergasted! I asked her if she truly meant that Target offered a card without disclosing details to its consumers and she again reiterated that there was no way to know what kind of system the Target store had and that it would be dependant on several factors whether I would be able to use the Target Debit card on any given day but she didn't know what those factors are. I asked her if there was anybody at all I could speak with that could help me unravel the mysteries and she referred me to the 1-888 number I originally called. I pointed out that I had called that number and they transferred me to her since they said they couldn't help me but she kept saying I had to talk to them again. I asked her to transfer me back which she said she could but after waiting a while she said she couldn't transfer me at all and she hurriedly put me on hold listening to music before I could say anything. When I realized that she had left me hanging, I hung up and went through the whole rigamarole of the Target phone line and ended up with another Target associate finally. She cheerily explained that Target didn't "know" me and that they would limit my transactions until they did. When I asked her the time frame they would need to get to "know" me she said she didn't know and that I would have to use some other form of payment. I pointed out that the purpose of getting the card was to receive the 5% discount which their denials effectivedly canceled and she shrugged that off as unimportant. I pointed out that I had needlessly endured public humiliation due to their unpublished policies and she shrugged that off too. I finally pointed out that it seemed like a case of "bait and switch" since Target advertised a 5% discount if you used their Red Card but then they had these hidden policies that prevented you from using the card or receiving the discount you had bargained for. Instead you made purchases thinking you were getting the discount only to be denied the discount and instead receive a heaping dose of humiliation and condescending attitude from the cashier. She shrugged me off again but did throw me a bone by saying she would bring that issue up at her leadership meeting...hm, thanks for the help? I wrote to the Target customer service help email and received a message from another cheery Target associate who told me I needed to call this number, yep, you guessed it, the 1-888 number that I had been dealing with already! Um, thanks for the help again? I think that Target has been reduced to a scamming store if they are reduced to tricking customers with false advertised discounts and then brushing them off when they ask for help or clarification of policies. I am writing a letter to corporate officials and if I don't receive any response then I will definitely take my shopping elsewhere and advise others to do the same.

OP Jacksonville

Your sign up receipt, aka temporary card, CLEARLY infucates that you are limited to x dollars upon signing up. It is a mean by which to protect your checking account as well as Target from fraud. When you use a debit card you are guaranteeing that funds will be present in your checking account to cover your purchases. The starting limit is low to prevent fraudulent activity both to your account and to Target.

I'm quite surprised no one, including you, mentioned that you needed to refer to your origination receipt.

HOW do you feel it acceptable to libel Target, or any entity for that matter, as perpetrating fraud upon your person when no such fraud was committed nor intended?

Additionally you should have been advised that you can return to store and CHANGE form of payment to effect your RedCard Discount.

• Na
    Nathanbanks Sep 30, 2018

Back in 1998 I mad the mistake of signing up for a Target credit card. I was told I would get 10% off all purchases. That same day I bought about $25 dollars of merchandise and paid with cash. Two months later I was called by Target and asked for my address and phone number. They said they needed it again to send me the credit card. Then a week later I received a bill for over $2, 000 for non payment of merchandise the day I signed up. I told them they must be either running a scam or high on tons of illegal drugs. They have continued to bill me periodically, even offering reduced payment, for about 20 years. Of course I ignore these bogus bills. Target themselves are the scammers. They should be shut down, fined and jailed. They are corrupt and a disgrace to America. Shame on them for trying to steal from America.

• Cn
    cnylefty Aug 26, 2016

Target has lost another customer. I am 65 yrs. old and went to Target to purchase their brand of nicotine gum. When I got to the register clerk said she needed my license to input it into their computer. She said it was their policy rule. I refused to give her my ID and left their store for good.
    If that's their policy, why wasn't it posted. I have purchased gum there previously and never asked for my license ID. When they take all our rights away, where will we go next!!!

Tronk Jan 09, 2019

@cnylefty BTW, I fully agree that such monitoring is excessive and surely chipping away at our privacy.

Tronk Jan 09, 2019

@cnylefty It's not Target policy, it is a stature which requires retailers to verify ID for DOB and with many items, full scan of ID. Stores can and DO get fined if they do not follow this requirement. One CAN refuse scanning and have merchant manually type in D. O. B. for the gum you referred. With cold medicine and things that are used in the manufacturer of illicit drugs, they must scan or otherwise record name, etc.

I am not a retail employee.

• Fr
    Freedler Aug 19, 2016

Today My family and I Went in to a your Target store in Glendale, CA at the Glendale Galleria Mall. My sons all tried on your Green St Patricks day $1.00 hat and they all got glitter in their eyes, My wife had to run to the restrooms and wash their eyes out with water, When we called for the manager MARTHA she said theirs nothing they could do and would not fill out a report or even Pull the $1.00 product off the Shelf. now my kids have Green Glitter all over their face.

• Sl
    Slokov Aug 19, 2016

My husband and I went to the Target store in West Sacramento, CA one Sunday morning to make a small purchase. When we got to the register, a woman was assisting a white gentleman in front of us. She was extremely courteous to him and at the end she wished him a good day. When it was our turn, she didn't greet us at all...not even a smile. The only time she spoke was to give us the total of our transaction. After I gave her the money, she gave me the bag and did NOT wish us a good day. There was another white gentleman behind us and we overheard her give him a very pleasant and elaborate greeting. Very disappointing.

• Da
    Damian Aug 18, 2016

My friend and I brought a DVD which has been recommended by the target's salesperson. We brought it home and tried to play it on my friend's DVD player. IT was very pixelated and didnt work. We returned it and took home another copy. This time it didnt work AT ALL!!! We took it back and asked for another exchange but the manager refused and said it was our fault that we scratched it!!!He was being very unreasonable and rude. WE tried to negotiate politely butthe manager's face screams "punch me! punch me!". IT was not our fault! It was faulty and im not speaking of one DVD, im speaking of TWO consecutive one! If we had to return it, got another one and it still didnt work that prove taht target's products are substandard and Target is ripping its customers off. Like hello??? WE didnt even get to watch the movie and its only been 2 days. What could we possible do to make it scratched? Play discuit with it? The way target treated its customers is disgusting. I strongly agree Target is the worst store I've ever beeen to!!!

• Mi
    Michelle Sujai Aug 04, 2016

Sent my Target check in to pay the bill & a customer service rep called the next day & I told him I paid the bill. He asked for the check amount and number to credit my account & the payment was taken from my bank twice. To make bad matters worse I left the country the next day so when I went to pay my hotel bill in Trinidad the money was not in my account. So I had to barrow money to get back into the US. I got a refund months later and stopped using the card in 1998. Now I am receiving phone calls from a collections agency that says I have a bill for over $1, 000. My bill in the 1990's was never over $200 and I paid it in full by-monthly. This is not my bill and I have only been in Taget 4 or 5 times during the past 12 years because of the credit card problem before & I dont have a credit card. Now I have to go into a Target to resolve the problem. I hate Target credit management. They do not manage credit card accounts well but few companies do.

• Mi
    Michelle Sujai Aug 04, 2016

Sent my Target check in to pay the bill & a customer service rep called the next day & I told him I paid the bill. He asked for the check amount and number to credit my account & the $160 payment was taken from my bank twice. To make bad matters worse I left the country the next day so when I went to pay my hotel bill in Trinidad the money was not in my account. So I had to barrow money to get back into the US. I got a refund months later and stopped using the card in 1998. Now, in October 2010 I started receiving phone calls from a collections agency that says I have a bill for over $1, 000. My bill in the 1990's was never over $200 and I paid it in full by-monthly. This is not my bill and I have only been in Taget 4 or 5 times during the past 12 years because of the credit card problem before. Now I have to go into a Target to resolve the problem. I hate Target credit management. They do not manage credit card accounts well but few companies do.

• Sk
    Skilpe Aug 01, 2016

I get unemployment and some how someone stole my debit card number and used it at target not sure if they did it online or in a store. I have been tring to find out if target has store numbers. If I get that infprmaton i will be able to get help in getting my money back. The thing is my card number may have been stolen when I went out to eat.The waiter took my card and than brought it back to me. I need help... I have bills to pay how could someone do this to me I dont have money like that and I have Threes kids to feed.

• Da
    Damtrey Aug 01, 2016

Once again you have discontinued a brand and substituted your Target Market Pantry brand, which is an inferior product. You no longer sell Alexia Foods Fresh Classic French Rolls which are 8 to a package and contain 230 mg of sodium and 20 total grams of carbohydrates per roll. Instead, you sell Market Pantry French Classic White Dinner Rolls which are 6 to a package and contain 410 mg of sodium and 31 total grams of carbohydrates. The Market Pantry rolls have a strong artificial butter taste.

We go out of our way to shop at Target but don’t purchase your Market Pantry brands because they are always of inferior quality to the national brands. Stop while you are ahead, and sell the national brands at a reasonable price and your sales will increase. Count me as a conscientious consumer who reads the labels and has yet to find anything better about your Target branding.

• Lu
    LucyGoose Aug 01, 2016

Please, please contact the manager of that location and let them know! They do not read this website. Unless you let the manager know, no discipline will ever be taken against that employee.

• Mo
    Mom4me4 Aug 01, 2016

I was in Target the other day and after shopping for clothes and school supplies my children and I went to the fitting rooms to try everything on there they have the most rudest person I have ever encountered. There were a number of things that put me in disbelief. Does target not drug test there employees? Well they should! I can tell you what this woman was just chatting up her from on the phone which was a taget phone at the area where you enter the fitting room just ignoring us. I stay there with my 13, 11 and 5 year old kids as she talks loudly about smoking drugs after work when she meets up with her friends.. She was so loud my child even asked me what a smoking blunt was?? This is unacceptable employee behavior.. Hes language was terrible cursing up a storm ### this and f*** that... After this event I will NEVER i mean NEVER shop at this location Target again.. I will drive to the one in Hunters Creek.. I am one pissed off mother.. !

Mad Michael Aug 01, 2016

How rude can you get, Who is the winner? Target.

My wife and I were in the Target store in West Palm Beach two days ago and this very nice woman approached a Target worker in a red Target shirt and told her that she had just found a cell phone and some sun glasses on a table and wanted to turn them in. The Target person told her that she was off the clock and would not even talk to her. So the woman approached a second Target person and tried to give her the phone and glasses. She said, ” Im off the clock go see the manager. “

The woman who was trying to do the right thing looked at us and said, ” I don’t believe this place.” the customer looked at her full cart and went up to the customer service desk and said,

“I just found this cell phone and sun glasses and I just want to turn them in.”

The customer service gal said, ”you will have to get in line!”

The woman just put the cell phone and sun glasses down and left the store. Target lost her sale as well as ours. Customer one Target none.

My wife still wanted to finish her purchase at Target. I told her that she is not allowed to shop at Target and if she ever does I will slap her.

Mad Michael Aug 01, 2016

Not trolling, I talk to her like this all the time. Does not mean I will carry through with it. I have a ten year old son who is smarter than you.

• Nu
    Nussime Jul 26, 2016

I had no idea that the commercials Target aired would actually represent a true sprint to the merchandise. At 12:00am on Black Friday I got in line at your Eastern Hills store with the intention to purchase the Westinhouse 40" LCD HDTV. I was in the front portion of the line. It was a cold, wet and rainy night. At approximately 2:30am a representative from Target decided to clearout tents and other inapproapiate makeshift shelters. No one seemed to care that this would cause a huge gap in the line. Because the line was so long and there was no crowd control to keep the line in order when the line was straighted out up front, people sprinted pass me because I cannot run and no one knew the doors were not opening. I lost several places and could do nothing about it. At 4:00am when the doors opened it was mayhem. Several additional people srinted ahead of me as Target employees stood on the side yelling "Do not run!" The irony was that if you did not run you simply did not get a TV. I was pushed and twisted my knee badly and by the time I limped to where the TVs were stationed they were all gone. Like I mentioned it was wet and cold. My feet were stiff and slippery. Entire families came with one family taking 6 of the 40" TVs with one family member obviuosly under 18 and unable to purchase a TV on his own. I have always been a Target customer and I believed that the Target organization would be organized, ensure everyone's safety and that all would be treated fairly. Target priced this TV and other items ahead of the market and drew many people to the store. I am a financial consultant who wanted to encourage my children to save money and do things on their own but I had no idea that that this would be a dangerous free for all. The advertisements would actually represent that the youngest and fittest would prevail. I hope Target is happy with the type of people it will encourage to do this again. This event was dangerous, not properly managed and unfair. But I do get the commercial now.

• La
    Lazypages Jul 26, 2016

you should go too wal-mart where everything is safe~

Mary Jul 22, 2016

I took my 84 year old mother to Target Christmas shopping. She needed either a wheelchair or motoriazed cart as she is disabled and we didn't take her wheelchair with us knowing they usually have them . They only had 2 for the whole store, one was not charged and the one she had quit 2 minutes later clear at the back of the store and I had to physically push the thing all the way to the front of the store because no one was willing to help us after asking 3 different store clerks. She had alot of shopping to do and we had to leave the store without getting her shopping done. Next time we will go to WalMart where they have plenty of wheelchairs and motorized carts especially during the holiday season. I can't believe a store the size of Target didn't even have a wheelchair with a basket.

• Pu
    Puliake Jul 22, 2016

Poor customer service. They mislead customers by enticing them to order items which are suppose to be in the correct size but when item is received in sizes larger than they're suppose to be they will neither apologize nor return the shipping cost. Clearly, even if item is defective if you're wording is anything but then they will not accept the return of shipping. What a ripoff!

• Sh
    Sheri Stomberg Jul 22, 2016

I purchased, for $800, a Tru Tech 26" flat panel LCD television at Target. The sound went out just after the 90 day return policy. Target nor TruTech would do anything to replace or fix the television. I have not and will not EVER shop at Target again. Before this incident, my family of 9 spent at minimum $15, 000 a year at Target. Their loss... of course mine too! Don't EVER buy TruTech JUNK!

anhinga39 Jul 22, 2016

last time i checked target does not manufacture DVD players or TVs...they only sell them. they are not responsible for quality control for other companies...they can only choose not to sell them anymore. next time blame the manufacturer and their warranty...or pay for the store's extended warranty. idiot!

• Valerie Jul 22, 2016

I bought this model in September of 2007. The first time I used it, I brought it back because it was making a very loud noise when playing DVD's. They replaced it, but about three months later, the same thing happened. I called the store and it was past the 90 day warranty. The noise got so loud, that I had to crank the volume to get it so where I could here over the sound of the DVD. Now, all of a sudden, the DVD player went out completely. It sounded like an airplane was taking off. Well, the TV works fine, but the DVD player keeps giving me a WRONG DISK error with all the DVD's I play. This is junk. I have a cheap Sharp TV that I purchased in 1990 and a Sony TV I purchased in 1992 and they both work great. I had two Trutech's and they both lasted less than three months. Junk!

• Ol
    Olgoned Jul 22, 2016

I purchased a gift card for a family in need to purchase Christmas gifts for their children. Nearly 2 weeks later, after numerous emails & phone calls, 3 days before Christmas, as best I can tell, the gift card was never shipped. I have been given the run around, & most recently told to call back in 2 days, to get a refund. There has been zero effort to remedy the situation, on the part of Target customer service. I uderstand that mistakes happen but I am incredibly frustrated at the way the problem has been handled, after the fact. I will take my business & my dollars elsewhere & encourage others to do so as well.

• Je
    Jesse Jul 22, 2016

Don't all stores require a receipt to exchange expensive broken merchandise?

• Valerie Jul 22, 2016

I received a gift from someone near and dear to me from Target. It was more money than she should spent on me, and I was very grateful. After a lot of tinkering, the product did not do anything it was supposed to, and I took it back to target. Even though the product was a gift, they would not exchange it. 'You mean if the gift giver did not give me a gift receipt, I am stuck with this broken $150 electronic picture frame?' I asked. They told me I could have the person come in with the credit card they purchased it on... They could look it up... etc But all I want is an exchange. This person was very kind for giving me this gift. Why would I want to drag them down to Target again? And why should I have to ask the giver for a receipt. She probably did not keep it. And what if she did not buy it on a credit card?

It isn't like I exchange things all the time. About four months ago, I bought another product from them that did not work when I got it home. They exchanged it because it was under their $20 limit. I guess happy customers are overrated for Target's policy writers.

• Ni
    Nicky Jul 22, 2016

This firm is running an advertisement scam promising to deliver targeted hits to your website from expired domain names. All the traffic is being spoofed.

• Valerie Jul 22, 2016

I ordered on-line with Target 11/22. My order has been sitting in a holding pattern ever since. Target has turned the info to UPS, UPS has not come to pick-up. Target claims the order can't be cancelled because it's shipped yet it's sitting on their loading dock. UPS hasn't accepted the package yet, so they're not processing.

This purchase was made with part of their joint HOLIDAY FREE SHIPPING agreement to intice customers. Well, they both post on their response pages that it won't be delivered until 12/26 - 1/10/08. Again, this was ordered 11/22/07 and now they are saying delivery won't take place until after the holidays.

Please be aware of my experience if timeliness is an issue in your purchasing or delivery endeavors this season.

• Te
    team member Jul 22, 2016

So its funny to read all these messages about targets return and horrible service i my self work for target and i honestly know how you are treated . most of you come into target with horrible attitudes thinking we are low class peole and treat us like ### . there are some guest who are the nicest and coolest i can say that but there are alot of guest who use double and triple coupons and they know we dont let anyone use them . the whole return policy is just targets policy theres nothing we can do about that . IF YOU DONT HAVE YOUR RECIEPT WITHIN THE 90 DAYS THERE IS NOTHING TARGET CAN DO FOR YOU . I DONT KNOW WHAT ELSE TO SAY

• Al
    Altone Jul 22, 2016

Not happy with their customer service, always have to wait on the line when my shipment does not arrive. They have to do smth about it. You need to provide a better service in order for people to keep shopping with you.

• SKOR Jul 22, 2016

If it was an error, the retailer is not legally obligated to honour it.

• Co
    Comstudee Jul 22, 2016

I love this product, but I hate the bottle it comes in. In order to get all the product out of the bottle when it is almost empty I have to cut it open and pour it out because the spout doesn't work at this point.

malibupipeline Jul 22, 2016

Am writing to let you know about my recent experience with Target.com. Ordered a glass corner TV stand
    (Order #[protected]) that I placed on 08/09/2014. The package arrived Friday 08/15/2014. As I unpacked and sorted the parts notice one part was missing. As I searched the package, discovered the glass was shattered. Immediately called customer service. Was told given the nature of the shattered glass this would be unsafe for your team members to deal with and I was to dispose of the item myself and you all would replace the item. Can appreciate your concern for employees’ safety but asked what about your customer’s safety. If I was your risk management folks, I would be all over this.Was still told would have to dispose of myself.

Later that evening received an e-mail confirming my new order number (#[protected]) which now stated I was to return the damaged item before my new one would be sent. Called back the service number and asked for the order to be cancelled and for someone to come pick up the damage item to dispose of yourself. Had contacted my trash service and since this is a bulk item will cost me $50 to dispose of. That is about 1/3 of the cost of the damage item. Was still told no, dispose of myself and you all would issue a refund for the merchandise. They couldn't’t help me with the disposal fee. Was given the following Ref.#3-[protected].

Called again this morning because I wanted to receive a written confirmation of the refund and that I was suppose to dispose of the item. Don’t want you all to come back on me later and not issue a refund because I didn’t return the item and then be out the cost of the item plus the disposal fee. So far haven’t received this written confirmation and have a hazard sitting in my family room.

At the very least would like the written confirmation requested above. Would still like you all to come to dispose of yourself, am concerned for my safety. If not, at least send me the $50 to cover the cost of disposal.

• Valerie Jul 22, 2016

What can I say but they stink! Even though you sent your friends and family to their store for gifts, they won't exchange for another item needed/return for credit even if on the registry. I guess I'll just have to be rude to the gift giver and require them to give me the receipt/gift receipt. I guess I'll have to say (I really like the gift, but I got three today so give me the stinking receipt so I can return.) You are only allowed 2 returns a year up to twenty dollars each. They treat you like you came in and stole the items.

• Ce
    Ceffin Jul 22, 2016

I ordered an item from Target.com and they sent a completely different item. I've spent 1.5 hours trying to resolve and still waiting!

• Ku
    Kulege Jul 22, 2016

False advertising, pretending promotions never existed, called 3 times and emailed 3 times, still not resolved. I have proof (a print screen of my cart) that my items are eligible, and they are pretending that this promotion never existed.

• Fo
    Ford Jul 22, 2016

People, be aware that the company www.TargetContests.com is really bad and their trial is total rip off. They offered me trial and I agreed, ‘coz these ### told me to pay only for postage. After a month, these jerks charged me again, but at this time, they took $250. Total rip off. I wonder if there are people, who faced the same problem? I really need help or any useful advice. Please, post your comments and ideas. Thanks.

MauiAL50 Jul 22, 2016

So they ran out and offered a raincheck, what are you ### about?

• Ca
    Calibere Jul 22, 2016

An item went on sale on Sunday. An hour after the store opened I went to purchase the item. I was told tha they must have sold out. Within the Hour? How many were in the store in the first place? They were so kind to offer me two more expensive models that were in fact in stock. They also offered me a rain check. If I wanted rainchecks I would order on line which is what I intend to do at another store even if I have to pay a little more. I know I won’t be dragged to Target for something that is not in stock.

• Ju
    Jumbass Jul 18, 2016

My husband recently had a heart attack. I had just gotten him out of the hospital and went to target to pick his medicine. It was 1:45 pm in the afternoon I ask PRECIOUS (tech's name) if I could please get this medication filled before the pharmacy tech went to lunch she said the pharmacist was about to go to lunch and would return between 2:30 or 3:00 when I ask her if it would be 2:30 or 3:00 this tech yelled at me and said "I said she would be back around 2:30" I left the medicine which was over 200.00 and went back at 3:00 to pick up. I have since transfered all of my medicine to another pharmacy THIS IS NOT THE FIRST TIME THIS PHARM TECH HAS BEEN RUDE AND HATEFUL to me.

WHY CAN'T TARGET IN BESSEMER HIRE PLEASANT EMPLOYEE'S.

• Li
    lilvixen69 Jun 17, 2016

What if they were cleaning the bathroom because someone made a huge mess in there? Wouldn't you rather them close it and clean it than to leave it? I'm not saying that's what actually happened--it's just another thought :)

• Se
    seba3c1980 Jun 17, 2016

people are gross therefore it is impossible to go all day without cleaning restrooms