Symantec / Norton 360removal of norton 360 damaged my files

I was running McAfee SW on Windows 7 that came with my Lenovo computer and it was starting to become sluggish after two years. I have been working on writing a book and was storing my files there. A few weeks ago I was getting to the point where I was engaging in tedious research and someone had suggested that I make a backup copy of all my work, particularly the interviews and sessions I had been recording for more than a year. During my online search for a new PC, I was also investigating anti-virus and Malware SW. I had great experiences with Symantec years ago, so after carefully avoiding bogus websites, I downloaded the trial version of Norton360 and for the first few hours, i felt confident. I was in the middle of typing a paragraph into Office Word when popup advertisements began to appear on my screen. A message came on from Norton360 saying that my comter was under attack. I sat back and watched as it abruptly brought up Internet Explorer and took me through a series of websites I had never seen before. As I tried to regain control of my mouse cursor, it brought me to "Bing". As soon as I was able to regain control of my notebook, I immediately checked my files to make sure everything was intact and then I dialed the number for Norton360 support but I couldn't get through. As I began to search through Internet Explorer, the performance was so bad that I first went to Google Chrome and then to Opera. After a series of virus threats, I contacted a friend of mine who came over an hour later with a spare notebook, ready to copy any important files, but this was impossible, By then, I could only get through in Safe Mode and although I had full control over my notebook, I could not copy anything from my computer as Norton360 would not allow that. My friend tweaked the settings on Norton360, but it made no difference. It began listing programs that were incompatible with Windows 7 and suggesting that they were causing the problem and that I needed to delete a page of temporary files. I hesitated at first but agreed. I was prompted to restart my computer and when I did, Norton360 was gone and so were several programs. I was directed to get a removal tool and strip away all Symantec SW, my friend told me not to do that, so after again making unsuccessful attemtpts to reach someone at Symantec, I sent an email. I turned my PC off and left for work. When I came home, my PC was running, Norton360 was still running in the background and my files were flashing on the screen. I was getting warning messages about a major malfunction on my notebook from Microsoft and Lenonvo. Norton360 was communicating with a phantom wireless router in my area that I could not locate with my IPhone. I checked Event Viewer, finding a series of folders had been created with 15 Microsoft files containing 50, 000+ entries during a 6-hour period. Information was polled through Norton360 apparently by the phantom wireless router. I was finally able to contact Symantec and explained only some of the problems I was having and was told that i needed to remove all "Symantec SW from my notebook. This process took about a half hour. It was finally all off my computer. And when my computer restarted all I got was the Black Screen of Death. I was so upset when Symantec could not tell me what was happening, that I excused myself politely and dropped the call. Nothing happened until I restarted my computer three times. Then a warning came on from Microsoft saying that Windows 7 had recovered from a a major attack. It took about an hour before my notebook came back in safe mode. All my files and data appear to be gone. I am sitting here trembling in disbelief. I spent 20 years designing complex multimedia networks including tmanaging the design of Communications and Tracking System for the space station program and international networks for MCI WorldCom clients. I had been the first and only regional technical specialist for SynOptics, handling complex troubleshooting assignments for clients like GE, Liberty Mutual, Pfizer and other global corporations. If there is anyone who has wintessed many of these types of events, it was me, and there was a time when I stood up to software vendors and said I wasn't going to take these types of problems anymore. Soon after, there was security in enough layers of the ISO OSI stack and other changes to program apps that made the deletion of files virtually impossible. About 10 years ago, I left the industry and began working in other fields of endeavor. After this incident, I find it disgusting that a program like Norton360 and the removal tool can irrevocably wipe out all user data from a hard drive. I haven't seen anything like that happen since 1993.

• Br
    Brokovicc May 19, 2010

I have a multi use three year subscription to Norton 360 software. I have tried all day to add another computer. When i finally found the proper screen. I had to use the Product Key Number to activate the Next button. The site states the PSN was sent on my subscription confirmation. I used the only number which was the Product Serial Number, but it would not activate the next button. The only option was a trial offer to buy another package, which I should not be required to do. I've called the customer service center 3 times but could not reach anyone. I am hard pressed to know how this company justifies terrible CS.

• Gu
    Gundosiy May 03, 2010

I am writing this complaint while I wait on hold (already 31+ minutes). This is the second time I've called. The first time took 35 minutes before I spoke to anyone and now again. This is not good customer service. I will cancel my subscription and NEVER do business with this company again.