Having problems with Norton?

Norton reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Aug 14, 2006. The latest review Norton Lifelock was posted on Jul 3, 2021. The latest complaint refund of annual subscription was resolved on Apr 10, 2020. Norton has an average consumer rating of 4 stars from 331 reviews. Norton has resolved 219 complaints.

Norton Customer Service Contacts

1800 680 026 (Australia)
1800 720 7898 (Singapore)
1800 441 7077 (Thailand)
1800 944 0586 (Colombia)
+1 855 815 2726 (United States)
+64 800 174 089 (New Zealand)
+44 207 616 5600 (United Kingdom)
+353 16 011 906 (Ireland)
+32 22 566 625 (Belgium)
+420 239 016 463 (Czech Republic)
+45 35 258 010 (Denmark)
+352 298 479 5023 (Luxembourg)
+31 205 040 539 (Netherlands)
+351 800 780 066 (Portugal)
+41 442 120 032 (Switzerland)
+852 25 981 234 (Hong Kong)
+60 377 124 612 (Malaysia)
+27 218 192 830 (South Africa)
+82 220 971 401 (South Korea)
+54 115 354 0370 (Argentina)
350 Ellis Street
Mountain View, California

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Norton Customer Service. Initial Norton complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Norton above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Norton. Discuss the issues you have had with Norton and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Norton Complaints & Reviews, Page 17

Annual Renewal Of Nortonunauthorized withdrawal of funds

I have an unauthorized POS funds removal of $53.98 from my checking account. I haven't had any Norton Products for over two years. Please refund my money to my account ASAP.

Norton Symantec — awful scam!

March 2007 I used a debit card linked to my bank account to renew Norton Symantec. That debit card wa...

Norton Symantec — hacked into my bank account and stole the renewal charge!

After 3 unsuccessful attempts in March 2008 to charge an old dead debit card number Symantec had on file for...

Norton Annual Renewal — scam billing!

I have taken norton off my computer 5 months ago, on 3/12/08 I was bill on my visa card. How can I get it off? Plz advise smb!

Norton Anti - Virus Symantic — fraudulent charges on debt card!

I ordered Norton Anti-Virus over the internet a year ago. My subscription was not up until january 24th 2008...

Norton 360error product download

My norton internet security 2007 subscription was running out so i upgraded to norton 360.
    Norton 360 product code TH63MC2XFYC6VF7V2QX6P4RXY
    Norton AntiBot prod code 32GTVEDDSX3RJ9XPARMWJX4FU
    I have lost my Norton System works program
    Under instructions i installed the removal tool and tried Reinstall Norton 360
    I encountered Error (9999,17x)
    I encountered Program Error (3038,105)
    (1) could you please help me with my problem
    (2) could you please send me a CD ROM of the program
    (3) return my money if all fails A$139.94
    Ron Atkinson

notron Sep 08, 2009

Your comments is what I hear every time I call Norton service too . They will keep you on line telling you how sorry they are. Then after a long while they transfer you to another agent and they start asking the same questions all over agai. I do tell them to please read the chat log for the earlier chat tech. and then lets start from thereb but no, they ask the same questions. I have contacted Norton aleast 18 times this year along and evern today I have log in issues with Norton not remembering my carded passwords. I get errors, freeze up (lots) i have to always turn off my computer off manually because of it. I have DLS (might as well have dial up) and I have always a slow computer (get my blood going). I tell them I am from the USA and they still patch me to India ( I guess no one in the USA can work on computers right?) and those people there can speak some English but man don't think in English or something. Only one time did I get a guy that I thought he was born in the USA, or talked like he was street wise on talking. Heck the remote help takes from 1 to 6 hours of my time. Then a few days later, have the same problems over again. I tell them that is why I have Norton 360 to keep my computer running fast and free of ziruses. Then they still ask for $99.99 to help me get rid of the trouble that their Norton lets in. Then they end by saying will there be anything else ? Thanks you for calling Norton. yea right. I still have 130 days left ( Norton won't refund me by pro-rating days unused) and even though I do, I am going to get Fios by Verzion. My buddies have changed to that and there computer runs great( all the time). RT

• Ou
        outlawdex Jan 30, 2009

Chat ID: fe17cf6d-f8e1-42ff-b6c9-3c143e600373
        Problem : need help
        Nancy: You are being transferred to Nancy.
        Nancy: Welcome to Norton Spyware & Virus Removal Service.
        Is this the first time you are contacting us or do you have a Priority ID?
        Mr. dex barker: no
        Nancy: May I have your Priority ID please?
        Mr. dex barker: and no
        Mr. dex barker: dont have it sorry
        Mr. dex barker: i just need help with how to make a complaint
        Mr. dex barker: about norton 360
        Mr. dex barker: and this is my complaint
        Mr. dex barker: As I have just had a lovely chat with your support team at symantec. I’m off to trading standards as it states (easy access to FREE email and live chat technical support) on the packaging of the product, it does not state just for the product and you have to pay for virus support £69 when I have paid £59 for the product. So the stated FREE technical support you get is not free at all. I hope this can be resolved before I do.
        Regards,
        Dexy Barker
        Nancy: Ok, Please verify your email address for quality assurance.
        Mr. dex barker: [email protected]
        Nancy: Please provide me your alternate phone number or mobile number.
        Mr. dex barker: [protected]
        Nancy: Are you connected from the computer, which is facing this particular issue?
        Mr. dex barker: yes
        Nancy: Thank you. Please wait while I look up your Priority ID.
        Nancy: Thank you for staying on hold.
        Mr. dex barker: thats ok
        Nancy:

Your Priority ID is [protected] . Please make a note of it for future reference.
        Mr. dex barker: ok done
        Nancy: As I understand from your issue description your computer is infected with virus and you are not willing to pay for the support Am I correct?
        Mr. dex barker: yes
        Nancy: Dex, The money you pay is worth the efforts put forth by our Consultants in resolving the issue on your computer. You would have one of the experts in this field to assist you in resolving the issue. Once they are able to remotely connect to your computer, you just need to sit back and relax while they do the necessary steps to resolve the issue. Your presence is only required if we need to restart the computer and to ensure an active Internet connection.
        Nancy: We do not charge you on an hourly basis like certain other similar support services, and we offer you a 7 days support which is a great value for the money you pay and you could get back to us during that time if the issue persists.

Moreover once the infection is removed our technicians would provide you expert advice, based on the specific configuration/settings of your computer, on how to stay protected in the future from similar threats.
        Mr. dex barker: ryt nancy plz stop reading of a sheet coz this i know all ready
        Mr. dex barker: so plz help me sort out my comlaint
        Mr. dex barker: as i said u state free and its not so help me plz sort this out
        Mr. dex barker: im trying to be nice as this is not ur folt
        Mr. dex barker: so plz do the same for me
        Nancy: I can provide you a free support link offered by symantec.
        Mr. dex barker: on the back of the box on norton 360 it states free tachnical support not u have to pay £69 im i ryt
        Nancy: When you purchase the product, the cost of the product is for the software, updates to the software and for the virus definitions. Apart from this, there is an additional charge for value added services.
        Mr. dex barker: lets try again does it state on the back of norton360 free tachnical support
        Mr. dex barker: ???????
        Nancy: Virus and spy ware removal support is a fee based service.
        Nancy: Virus and Spyware Solutions is a value added service provided by Symantec. We have well-trained consultants who would put in their best efforts to resolve the issue.
        Mr. dex barker: so yes it does tell me the free TECHNICAL SUPPORT ur going to give me that FREE TECHNICAL SUPPORT
        Mr. dex barker: OR are u saying the box is liying
        Nancy: Symantec provides free online support that has 'step by step instructions' to remove the threats from your computer.

The free online support is available to you at http://securityresponse.symantec.com.
        Mr. dex barker: ryt so plz tell my where u make my complaint to symantec and hit them with the book (trading standards)
        Nancy: For complaints you can get more details from the Symantec website.
        Mr. dex barker: no i have tryed that
        Mr. dex barker: or are u say u dont know
        Mr. dex barker: this is not looking good for u guys at symantec is it
        Nancy: You can get more information from the Symantec website.
        Mr. dex barker: so u cant help
        Mr. dex barker: ??????????????
        Nancy: I have provided all the help from our end.
        Mr. dex barker: thanks take hole convo has been copyed see symantec soon
        Mr. dex barker: that
        Nancy: I understand your concern, As per the company policy I can transfer you to the expert technicians only after the payment.
        Mr. dex barker: thanks that last bit was all i needed to hear techincians only after the payment
        Nancy: Is there anything else I can help you with?
        thats it i think that says it all dont we

• El
        Elizabeth Anne Jan 29, 2008

On January 20th I had to reboot my computer. I lost my Symantec Norton 360 in the process. I purchased a two year service contract last July, and am not anxious to do it again 7 months later.

I have two sets of instructions on how to activate it, but I'm not having success at trying to do either one of them.

A live chat would be helpful. Hopefully it doesn't take 2-3 days.

Elizabeth Anne

Ankur Maniar Jan 10, 2008

I had a problem while trying to install as well. It removed my Systemworks and completely messed up my Windows XP. I eventually had to do a System Recovery. Avoid this Software. Try returning it.

• Sc
        Scott Johnson Jan 03, 2008

Have you tried to search the Norton website for specifics about your error message?

Pablo

Norton 360 — liveupdate function problems

I have now spent at least 20 hours trying to get the LiveUpdate function of Norton 360 software to work! At...

Symantec Norton Anti Virus 2005incompetent technical support staff

Here's something not to do... Waste time & money contacting symantec norton anti virus technical suppport online as this is the 'conversation' I had with their 'professional'

Liveassist chat

Status analyst nandini is here to assist you.

Issue: after 10 phone calls to [protected], having previously sent 5 emails since april 14, 2007, only 2 have been 'responded' to april 21& may 15, my nav 2005 is still continuing to freeze my pentium ii windows 98 plus system. Liveupdate & autofix don't work either! End session user

Mr._john has entered room.

Analyst nandini has entered room.

Nandini (Thu may 17 09:48:37 pdt 2007):

Hello mr._john. My name is nandini.

Nandini (Thu may 17 09:48:53 pdt 2007): thank you for contacting symantec live technical support. Please make a note of the chat request id [321842] for this interaction.

Mr._john (Thu may 17 09:49:07 pdt 2007): hello

9:50 am 17/05/07

Mr._john (Thu may 17 09:50:45 pdt 2007): are u there?

9:51 am 17/05/07

9:52 am 17/05/07

Nandini (Thu may 17 09:52:22 pdt 2007): john, I understand from your message that you have an issue while running liveupdate. Am I correct?

Mr._john (Thu may 17 09:52:34 pdt 2007): yes

9:54 am 17/05/07

Nandini (Thu may 17 09:54:11 pdt 2007): john, could you please tell me whether you get any error message while you run liveupdate?

Mr._john (Thu may 17 09:54:31 pdt 2007): the last ones I received were lu 1814, lu 1823 and lu 1803

9:56 am 17/05/07

Nandini (Thu may 17 09:56:17 pdt 2007): john, inorder to resolve this issue I suggest you to uninstall and then reinstall the product.

Mr._john (Thu may 17 09:56:18 pdt 2007): how do I do this?

9:59 am 17/05/07

Nandini (Thu may 17 09:58:11 pdt 2007): john, do you have cd version or download version of your norton product?

Mr._john (Thu may 17 09:59:23 pdt 2007): no, I downloaded this online in 2002 and it has never worked properly. I renewed it for the second time may 5, 2007 as it wasn't working after renewing it in march 2007.

10:03 am 17/05/07

Mr._john (Thu may 17 10:01:34 pdt 2007): I have this on my desktop which "nancy", a technical agent in chenai india's office helped me to reinstall may 5, but there are still viruses and my computer continues to freeze after scanning 6 - 14 hours and getting stuck after scanning 600,000 files, most of which are here

Nandini (Thu may 17 10:02:17 pdt 2007): john, in this case you cannot reinstall the norton product. I suggest you to get refund of your product and purchase new norton product.

Mr._john (Thu may 17 10:02:12 pdt 2007):
      C:windowsprofilesjbhistoryhistory. Ie5mshist01... (2004, 2005, 2000.. Various months + dates) index. Dat

Mr._john_ (Thu may 17 10:02:50 pdt 2007): I have this on my desktop "c:program filesnav05eng. Exe"

10:04 am 17/05/07

Nandini (Thu may 17 10:04:21 pdt 2007): in this case you cannot reinstall the norton product. I suggest you to get refund of your product and purchase new norton product.

Mr._john (Thu may 17 10:04:24 pdt 2007): how do I do this?

10:05 am 17/05/07

Nandini (Thu may 17 10:05:46 pdt 2007): please don't worry I will help you to do that.

Mr._john_ (Thu may 17 10:05:33 pdt 2007): thankyou.

10:08 am 17/05/07

Nandini (Thu may 17 10:06:43 pdt 2007): could you please tell me the order number of your product?

Mr._john (Thu may 17 10:07:52 pdt 2007): where do I find this?

10:12 am 17/05/07

Nandini (Thu may 17 10:09:48 pdt 2007): when you purchase the product you will get the order number.

Mr._john (Thu may 17 10:10:43 pdt 2007): as I already mentionned above, I paid for this product in 2002 and renewed it in march 2007 as well as reinstalled it with 'nancy's help from her office in chenai may 5, 2007

Nandini (Thu may 17 10:12:04 pdt 2007): johan, to get your product refund customer support will be in a better position to help you regarding this issue.

Mr._john_ (Thu may 17 10:12:06 pdt 2007): just a minute.. I am looking for my number

Nandini (Thu may 17 10:12:45 pdt 2007): I suggest you to contact symantec customer service.

Mr._john_ (Thu may 17 10:12:56 pdt 2007): here it is order confirmation # 9...6

Mr._john_ (Thu may 17 10:13:15 pdt 2007): account id# 3...8

10:16 am 17/05/07

Nandini (Thu may 17 10:15:58 pdt 2007): john, I have checked your product details on our server you have purchased the product on 09-nov-05. Your refund period has been expired so please contact customer service for this issue.

Mr._john_ (Thu may 17 10:15:56 pdt 2007): I have paid for the renewal march 2007!

10:17 am 17/05/07

Nandini (Thu may 17 10:16:56 pdt 2007): please hold for 3 - 4 minutes while I update your product subscription in our server.

10:19 am 17/05/07

Mr._john_ (Thu may 17 10:19:35 pdt 2007): it was paid and confirmed

March 7, 2007 (10:26 pm)

10:22 am 17/05/07

Status 'your issue is being escalated to another analyst.'

10:23 am 17/05/07

Nandini (Thu may 17 10:22:23 pdt 2007): john, I understand your concern. I will transfer this session to one of our technicians who will assist you in troubleshooting this issue. This may take me a minute or two. Please be on hold.

Nandini (Thu may 17 10:22:49 pdt 2007): please wait, while the issue is escalated to another analyst.

10:23 am 17/05/07

Analyst nandini has left room.

10:24 am 17/05/07

Status analyst tareq is here to assist you.

Tareq (Thu may 17 10:24:19 pdt 2007): thank you for contacting symantec live technical support

Mr._john_ (Thu may 17 10:24:02 pdt 2007): hello
      10:26 am 17/05/07

Tareq (Thu may 17 10:25:06 pdt 2007): I understand that you want to get a refund for your subscription renewal. Am I right?

Mr._john_ (Thu may 17 10:26:14 pdt 2007): no.. I want my nav 2005 fixed as it never worked properly since I first purchased it in 2002 and renewed and paid for it march 7, 2007 and had 'nancy' from chenai, india help me reinstall it may 5, 2007.

10:27 am 17/05/07

10:28 am 17/05/07

Tareq (Thu may 17 10:27:10 pdt 2007): okay.

Tareq (Thu may 17 10:27:34 pdt 2007): john, to resolve this liveupdate issue you need to complete uninstall and reinstall the norton product.

Mr._john_ (Thu may 17 10:27:42 pdt 2007): how do I do this?

Tareq (Thu may 17 10:28:10 pdt 2007): please note that you will not be able to reinstall if you have purchased the norton product more than an year ago even if you have a valid subscription.

Tareq (Thu may 17 10:28:36 pdt 2007): so I suggest you to get a refund for your subscription renewal and purchase a new norton product.

10:28 am 17/05/07

10:29 am 17/05/07

Tareq (Thu may 17 10:29:18 pdt 2007): or if you purchase a new product your remaining subscription days will be added in to your new norton product.

10:30 am 17/05/07

Mr._john_ (Thu may 17 10:29:49 pdt 2007): I paid for this march 7, 2007 and reinstalled it may 5, 2007, however it is still not working properly!!

10:31 am 17/05/07

My computer froze again and I wasn't able to continue this 'conversation'

Remote control stats: disable view only full control send user feedback

Did this chat session solve your problem?

Please send me an english as a first language nav 2005
      Technical agent's email and 1-800 number as well as chat line address, as I have had nthing but frustrations trying to communicate with your staff in chenai, india, many of whom do not listen properly, let alone read nor have read my previous emails to my 10 long distance phone calls nor this morning's 'chat' this morning, with no 'help'.

After purchasing nav 2002 online and renewing it march 2007, I have had to reinstall it again may 5, 2007 only to have endless problems 'communicating' with symantec's 'technical'
      Norton anti virus 2005 'staff', who do not 'listen', let alone read properly.

Ten of them

("ron", "dinesh", "johnbeckhn", "sam", "nancy", "wilson", "jason", "raj", & "james")

Have asked me the same incompetent questions over and over, changing the original case number to hide their incompetence and pretend that they know nothing about my having emailed them 5 times since april 14 or called long distance via their [protected] number, which one named 'raj' even had the nerve to tell me "you should call [protected] and pay more money for them to reinstall what doesn't work properly.

None of their 'help' is helpful at all! Even their 'chat' room doesn't function and they continue to play 'dumb', asking me if this is the first time i've reported my nav 2005 problem which is theirs as they have lost my business forever and I do not 'recommend' anyone pay symantec a penny let alone the $69.95 to 'permit' them 'remote access'.

Never in a billion years would I 'trust' these incompetent
      Liars who change the case numbers to 'confuse' the issue.

Date/time
      I called casenumbers spoke to result

[protected])

1 may 2, 2007 3:40 pm [protected]"ron"I called back

2 may 3, 2007 1:00 am [protected]"dinesh"didn't read
      Prev. Info and asked me to explain what was wrong, which he should have read on my case number file, which I gave him and all the others below:

3 may 3, 2007 2:27 am"john beckhn"not helpful

I had to wait 15 mins b4 connecting

4 may 3,2007"sam"not helpful

5 may 5, 2007 3:30 am"nancy"reinstalled nav2005
      -4:30 am told me I could get info how 2 reinstall nav 2005 for $69.95

6 may 6, 2007 7:16 [protected]"wilson"asked if any error
      - 7:38 pm numbers came up (No)

7 may 6, 2007 11:22 pm"jason"sarcastic. Didn't
      Listen to me but cut me off with"if you listen, you will understand"

8 may 6, 2007"raj"told me I could get info via email how to reinstall nav 2005 for $39.95 and to call [protected] for help

9 may 6, 2007 11:24 am"james"said I could pay $69.95for remote access

Here are my previous 'corresondence' with your 'service' via email all of which have not been answered in a month of my having emailed them 5 times except by:

Response (Balakrishnansugumar) - 04/21/2007 06:39 am &

Response (Arjun prasad) - 05/14/2007 08:14 am"

Here's an email I sent which was not 'responded' to. 'brave'
      'new' world' not! The future is not 'friendly', but full of esl imbeciles who do not 'care' let alone 'know' how to listen, read nor 'communicate' in a way to maintain this 'service'.

"dear arjun,

Thankyou for your email response, however none of the solutions you recommended work. My computer froze again after I ran liveupdate's"symantec trusted application list". Which is 6701 kb.

I have 500 mb on my penitum ii windows 98 plus hard drive.

I was able to download the lates virus defintions and a few other smaller files.

As I emailed you before, there are hundreds if not thousands of files that block the nav 2005 from scanning for viruses properly located here:

C:windowsprofilesjbprofileshistoryhistory. Ie5hist012005082520050826index. Dat

Which took 14 hours and then froze my computer after scanning 600,000 files!

How do I remove these?

Why hasn't anyone responded to my specific questions?

"I am not 'happy' with your 'service'. My pentium ii windows 98 plus computer is free of viruses, but froze after re installing and running nav 2005 for 14 hours, finding 600,000 files, most of which were in:

C:windowsprofilesjbprofileshistoryhistory. Ie5hist012005082520050826index. Dat

How do I removed these so that I can run nav 2005 without crashing or freezing my computer again?"

Good bye symantec & chenai india! Good luck with getting future 'client$'

Norton 360 Antiviruscompletely wrecked my computer!

I bought this as a download but could not install it. Norton help desk (including their 360 expert) spent a total of about 5 hours on 3 occasions trying to fix it. This was done with them controlling my computer. The last person completely wrecked my computer by deleting most of the registry and not being able to carry out a system restore (he also deleted all restore points) or a registry reload (the backup was corrupted). Norton management are not interested in my problem. On the good side though I now know how to get everlasting subscriptions to Norton AV without paying for them. Being a computer & lots of time and trouble down, I'm not sure this is a fair swap but if you want to share my knowledge...

• Pa
            Pat N Aug 30, 2007

I now absolutely hate Norton 360. This is my third time trying to get help from them. My subscription ran out about 3 weeks ago so I renewed and upgraded. The last 4 days I have been on line with analysts for over 8 hours. They did get rid of 1 trojan but it cost me $100. I was on line over 5 hours today. I was in tears. I had 4 analysts trying to help me. Nobody could fix the problem. My Norton icon disappeared and nothing was working . I had absolutely no protection. I am disgusted. Wish I could get my money back. They told me uninstall then reinstall. They didn't recognize my e-mail address. they didn't recognize my product key, etc., etc., etc. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT. YOU WILL FOREVER BE SORRY. They would not answer my questions. They would not tell me who to make a complaint to. They had complete control over my computer for hours and did all sorts of things to it. Even after I disconnected from the last analyst, a few hours later, somebody was still controlling my computer. I could see the arrow key moving all over the screen and changing things. This is just wrong! After originally downloading Norton360, within a week I had a trojan virus. Why? Because Norton 360 does not protect your computer. They would not fix it for me until I agreed to pay $100. NEVER AGAIN SYMANTEC. I HAVE FOUND ANOTHER COMPANY.

Symantec Norton Internet Security — rebate scam!

For the second year in a row I bought Norton Internet Security and sent in the two rebates, both for $30. I...

Symantecnorton / rebate

I received a post card from Symantec resubmissions dept. There reply to me having sent my rebate for the Norton - Antivirus with it I sent all needed paper work. The UPC the paper for the rebate witch was in the box and the dated sale receipt. With the NRTN Antivirus at the top of the receipt for $39.99. On the reply it stated that my request could not be honored because the product was not found on the receipt? Now I am to re send the card + any validating information. I no longer have the receipts da. All I could send is a copy.

Card #1944ssss

• Bu
              bud sharkey Apr 18, 2008

nortin antivirus rebate is a big rip-off
              how do you send an original more than once
              no responce to mail or phone calls
              i guess they expect to wait you out
              how does that song go