Singapore Airlinesvery poor customer service displayed a ground staffer

D Jan 15, 2020

I wish to report an incident that occurred on the 29/11/2019, during my check in in by a ground floor staff member of Singapore airline. I do not have his name because he either intentionally hid his name badge or was not provided with one by the management.
I booked an economy flight to Ghana and was one of the first in a queue of about ten passengers waiting to be served. There were only two counter clerks, a male and a female who were supposed to look after us. When it came to my turn to be checked in, i handed in my passport to the male counter clerk and that is when my worst nightmare started to unfold. As i already said, that i do not know his age but would be of middle age between 55 to 60 years old. Firstly, he scrutinised my Australian passport over and over for several times and as if he was not satisfied with his assumed role as an immigration officer, started bombarding questions at me. For over 20 minutes this man held me at a stand still and those passengers behind me had to make a detour to the female counter clerk next to him.. Some of the questions he asked are too embarrassing to unveil here. His questions were so personal, rude, bigotry, prejudicial and plain racism.
He gave my passport back to me after a 20 minutes dissection fully humiliation and despaired. This gentleman who supposed to act as the gateway to Singapore Airline diplomacy, turned the occasion into a job interview. I am an Australian but of African descent who has been living here in Sydney for over 30 years and to be subjected to this treatment makes me wonder if he is well schooled to be in the forefront of Singapore Airline customer service. I strongly believe that i was profiled due to the colour of my skin and will appreciate if this can be fully investigated. I am ready to avail myself for any interview or investigation pertaining to this experience
May i conclude that i am not happy with the shame and humiliation this grey haired staffer unleashed upon me and will attempt to share this experience with my fellow Africans who live here in Australia and will want to travel in future with the airline.

Deborah Ocansey