Complaint Letter to Scoot
I'm writing this to show displeasure in the flight arrangement by Scoot.
Place of travel: Osaka, Japan
Original Period of travel:
27th Apr - 12th May 2019
Return flight: TR701
12th May; Osaka 16:00 —> 12th May; SG 21:25
Revised by Scoot:
27th Apr - 14th May 2019
13th May; Osaka 19:35 —> 14th May, SG 01:00
To summarize, I first booked the flight from SG to Osaka on 6th Jan 2019. From then till 25th April, there were 5 different emails indicating that there will be a rescheduling of flight on my return trip. We didn't make any changes because the take-off date was still on 12th May despite at a later timing. During this period of time, there were a lot of reports on Scoot flights having delays. However, we trust that Scoot is a responsible airline, and should anything happens, they will be able to deal with it professionally with necessary compensation. However, on the eve of my departure, I saw an sms indicating that my return flight has been rescheduled again! However, instead of providing a flight at a timing that I booked it at, Scoot gave me a much earlier timing in the morning but this flight is provided by SIA and not Scoot.
Below was the sms that has been sent on the eve of my departure:
S9U15D. Important info abt yr upcoming TR867 KIX-SIN flt has been sent to yr registered email addr. Contact our Call Centre if you have any queries.
Seeing the above message from Scoot, I rushed to call Scoot helpline to ask for assistance. I started calling at 10:00, which I was finally connected to an operator 30-40min later. I spoke to Donna and indicated that I need help with another flight arrangement as I will only fly in from Sapporo an hour before take-off for the return flight. Thus, I need another flight arrangement on 12th May. However, Donna said that there's nothing she could do to arrange any other flight back on 12th May. At this time, I was desperate. I needed to know what are the options that were opened and by this 6pm, I've already spoken to 3 other operators by evening. Some promised to call me back to follow up but NO ONE did that. The only "options" they gave were the following:
1. Cancel the flight and receive money back
2. Cancel the flight and receive Scoot dollars in 120%
3. Reschedule of flight for free within 7 days
Seriously, these are NOT options for me simply because I can't choose them only on the eve of my trip. I've already booked the hotel and transport for the whole trip and who will refund me if I decided to cancel the trip?
Also how do I reschedule my trip when I'm only flying in to Osaka from Sapporo on 12th May morning.
The last person I spoke to was one of the escalation manager, Eunice Soh. I asked her on what options were open for us but she could come up with nothing. Thus, I had to come up with some options for Scoot to follow-up on, it's ridiculous for us to be left stranded when Scoot was the one who introduced a change that I can't accept. In the end I had to come up with proposals of my own.
First, I asked for the counter to remain open for at least 30-45min. Reason being that we will fly into Osaka and land only at 09:55, if the counter can remain open and make sure that we can check-in successfully then that will be great, but I need that assurance from Scoot. Because the SIA flight given was supposed to take off at 10:55, I'm not certain that I could make it with no hiccups from the domestic flight.
Secondly, I asked for special arrangement to pick us up from the domestic terminal to the international terminal. I believe these 2 options were quite reasonably. Thirdly, I found from the SIA website, I found that they have another flight taking off at 17:35, which was just an hour shy from my original flight. This will be the best arrangement for us. Of course, if Scoot cannot go through with these 3 proposals by me then they ought to come up with a reasonable proposal that will not delay my departure date. I felt strongly that I should be given what I've signed up for.
Eunice also felt that it was fair to accede to our requests because she also agreed that Scoot did make changes to my flight and she also promised to call me on 26th May morning before my departure between 08:00-10:00. On my day of departure, I didn't get a call by 10:00, thus, I called into the customer service again and I waited for 30min before I got to speak to Nana, who also promised to follow-up and make sure I get a follow-up call on the progress and options that are open to us by Monday, 28th April 2019, else there should be an email follow-up. Again, we waited anxiously in Osaka but no calls were made on 28th April. I had no choice but to send a complaint email on 29th April 2019.
And I received an email the next day:
Dear Ms Wong,
Thank you for taking the time writing to us.
We refer to your submission received through our Online Feedback Form.
We would like to extend our sincere apology for the inconvenience caused.
We know that punctuality is very important to our passengers.
We would like to inform you that from time to time we do have to make changes to our flight schedule for various reasons. Unfortunately, changes do occur but we wish to assure you that we will continue to work hard to keep them to a minimum.
As explained in article 09 of our Conditions of Carriage, in the event the changes cause the flight to depart more than three (3) hours before or after the scheduled departure time, the passenger may choose from several options.
Upon review of your booking reservation, your flight has been changed to SQ charter flight.
Your concern has already been escalated to our relevant department and is currently under review.
We will be in contact with you in the following days.
We apologise if our service on this occasion did not meet your expectation.
Thank you for choosing Scoot and we look forward to another opportunity to serve you.
Customer Support Representative
on behalf of Scoot
But sadly, no one called to follow up. Not knowing when is our return flight, I had to get my friend to call Scoot several times before Eunice finally gave me a call on 2nd May 2019. By now I've gotten really frustrated at the lack of follow-up. I'm surprised that Scoot expects me to call from overseas to amend an issue that Scoot has created. I expect to be compensated for the overseas charges.
Disappointed with the lack of sincerity from Scoot, I expected Eunice to tell me the follow-up on the options that were open to us to choose but she called to just inform me that nothing has progressed yet. Seriously, this is unbelievable! Fancy calling me to tell me that nothing has progressed, nothing was follow-up and nothing has been checked. And I was still waiting patiently on the phone when she went on to describe how irresponsible Scoot has been during this entire time.
In the end, an unbelievable news was delivered that Scoot cannot do anything on their side and they have NO proposals so it's a take-it-or-leave-it attitude on the change of flight to arrive in SG on 14th May 2019. By this time, we were all weary and distressed from having to deal with such depressing news. The whole time we were the only ones making the contributions on ideas and coming up with proposals to work around. I totally understand that there could be issues with flight scheduling but for Scoot to come up with no proposals from the start till the end was ridiculous. So, resigned to our unfortunate predicament, I asked that we be compensated for the least, to at least upgrade to a better seating, as the time to arrive in SG is in wee hours and I doubt there's much passengers on the flight. That, which was really the last request, was even turned down. I explained that I've got an elderly and pregnant lady travelling with me and having to travel at such unearthly timing back to SG will take a tool on them. But without much consideration from the manager on the other line, the request was flat out dismissed.
To be frank, this is not my first time on a budget airline. I've taken Tigerair, Jetstar and Airasia. There were changes on their flight schedules as well but none that will compare to a delay of 2 days arrival at its destination. At least, they were willing to listen and come up with some proposals that are viable, one that I feel I can still choose despite the lack of options, unlike my brush with Scoot. Although there has been many news reports on the ill treatment of Scoot to their passengers but I never thought that I will be one of them to go through such an unhappy experience. For Scoot, maybe a 2 days of annual leave means nothing but to us working adults, annual leave is a scarcity which we will use with caution, not use them carelessly because an airline can not deliver what I've signed up for.
Scoot will never, ever, be a choice of my airline again.
Disappointed beyond words,