Sears Portrait Studioprices/poor customer service

K

We recently took our son to have his picture taken at Sears, where he has been photographed since he was born. We will never go there again. The pictures were OK, as usual, but this time the prices were incredible tacked upon poor customer services by the young ladies that were working there. Throughout the course of the experience we were told the following: * The price of the pictures just went up * The price of the picture CD has always been $200 (I've never paid even close to $100 of purchasing it since it's inception) * The price of the picture CD is regularly $120, but it went up for the holidays * You have to pay the $50 sitting fee even if you don't buy any pictures * You don't have to pay a sitting fee * Your super saver card is expired (but the card's expiration date hadn't passed yet) Needless to say, it was a very confusing experience that no one should have to endure

RESOLVED

• Sears's response · Nov 12, 2009

To KKH,
    My name is Brian and I am part of the Sears Cares escalations team. I’m sorry to hear about this issue with the Portrait Studio. I don’t know why you were given information in this way. We would like to look into this on your behalf to see how we can resolve this to your satisfaction. At your convenience, please contact my office via email at [email protected] In the email, please provide a contact phone number and we will call you directly. Also, please provide the screen name (KKH) used to post here for reference to this issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Brian J.
    Senior Case Manager
    Sears Cares

• Fa
    Farhana Ali Apr 06, 2008

This is a complaint against sears portrait studio_ monroeville, pa. After a lot of planning a my family has been to the studio. The technician at the desk appeared too tired even to give us information on the various packages offered. When we asked her if an appointment was needed to get the picture taken she discouraged us from even coming in even when the next appointment was 45 min later. Unwillingly she accepted us. Then she was so bored that she barely made sure that all of us responded well to her when the photo was taken. She told us that she wanted to give us a white background no choice offered. She made my husband sit while I stood with the kids that was rather odd. Finally it was all over and not a cent worth of the $45.00 we spend at sears portrait studio. I wish we had just used our digital camera instead.

• Br
    Brandi Nov 26, 2008

My family has been going to sears to have portraits done for 20 years. The last few years since I had my daughter the have been getting worse and worse. We went in on Nov.16 to have pictures made for Christmas. To start things off the people working were very rude. The woman that was taking our pictures acted like we were just taking up her time. She acted like she had something better to do. She didn't even want to switch out the backgrounds. She did end up switching it once. Then everything she did to the longest time. My 2 and a1/2 year old was getting frustrated and so was I. Then when we were finally done she couldn't even figure out how to ring things up. It took her like six tries to get things rang up. Then when I went to pick up the pictures they had not came in yet and wouldn't be in for a week. They had some kind of problem the day we had them made. The funny thing is the peope that came in the day after us, had already got their pictures in. Then when you try to get ahold of someone in charge you can't. My problem is that we needed those pictures for Thanksgiving and now we don't have them.

• Gr
    growup42072 Dec 18, 2008

of course she was tired!I worked at a Sears Portrait Studio.We usually didn't even take LUNCH, we were so busy.Do YOU get to eat lunch everyday?I'm sure you DO.But anyways, you also don't realize there are rules set in place by the owner of the company, CPI, that pretty much runs everything back-asswards.And you have to deal with it and do it.It's a JOB.there are rules set in place, and you can't really go against them.It's how THEY want to run things.You have NO idea what people that work at these places have to deal with.They should take people like you and make you work there.I guarantee you wouldn't last.It's THE most stressful job I ever worked, and there probably are some bad employees, but i'm sure more of them than not at least work with what they have and do their best.

• Sh
    Shellie Blanton Aug 05, 2009

I have several complaints over the past six months I have been using this studio and it always pertains to the two associates that seem to always be there. For starters, it is very HOT back in the studio. They claim the fan broke but they will not replace it, maybe because they are not sweating because they have the parents put the babies in all of the poses while they just stand behind the camera and push the button.
    Secondly, their was supposedly a "contest" going on so I took my twins (on two seperate occasions) to have their pictures made. "The All-American Baby Contest" I was told a picture would be picked out and submitted but when I took my second twin back two weeks later for "Prettist Eyes, Longest Lashes" Contest I asked to see the picture that was picked and the associate told me that she went to another location. Well thats all fine and dandy but she needed to do what she told me she was going to do. So I have no idea if my baby was entered in to the contest or if that was just a marketing tool to sell more pictures. When I picked up my pictures two weeks later I had to cut a 3 1/2 X 5 and give to the associate to enter into the longest lashes contest and I asked her why I didn't have to give them one (that I bought) the last time and she said "they changed the policy". We'll what if I didn't buy any 3 1/2 X 5's would she have taken a 8 X 10 or larger? I was told I wouldn't get that picture back wither. Something is wrong with your policy!!!
    Thirdly, I received a coupon in the mail so I used it for one contest picture session and I told the Associate I needed another one since I had twins that I was taking two seperate occasions and she said "We can't do that" So, my sister told her to send her the coupon to her address but she has still not seen any coupons.
    The two associates names are Heather and Jade and might I suggest you orient them on the real policies and procedures because I highly doubt their preception is correct. It seems to me they tell customers what they feel will get them out of the most work or what will benefit them not the customer.
    When I picked up my last order one of them wrote with a black magic marker on the outside cover of the pack and I had ink marks on one of my sheets, they did studio print another one for me but now I have some that are matte finish and one sheet that is shiny and it messes up my collage I always to of each session.
    I use t be very pleased with the quality of the pictures but now after the way your associates ruined all of my experiences I will just go somewhere else.

• Ac
    ACRONIN627 Sep 06, 2009

I take my daughter every year to get her pictures done here and the past 2 times I have been horrible customer service from the manager named SANDY. She was rude both times that I have gone in there to have her picture taken. I could tell she was miserable and didnt like her job or wanted to be there. I shouldnt have to get that customer service just because the employee isnt in a good mood or likes her job. And the fact that it happened twice made me never to go back there again. Because of her..the company is losing business from me and I am sure from other people if they got the same experiences that I received. Working at sears portraint studio..the employee needs to be friendly and have a lot of patience and Sandy didnt have either. The fact that shes a manager boggles my mind. A manager is supposed to be professional at all times and be a role model for the other employees below her. Sears portrait studio needs to get her out of there ASAP. She doesnt want to be there anyways thats for sure!

• Ri
    Ridiculous Sears Oct 06, 2009

Cincinnati, Ohio - Sears Portrait Studio in Western Hills

TERRIBLE!!!

I went there with my 3 month old daughter. The photo session went well. The pictures were cute, however I had to wait for 40 mintues while their photographer put together the proof sheets. Not easy with a baby SEARS!

SHADY SHADY Pricing, the girl who assisted me - misquoted various packages. She came up with her own amounts to charge per sheet. When I would confirm a price...she would change it. I came there strictly for one of the package deals- which advertised no sitting fee. She tried to charge me $30 for one 8 x 10, plus a sitting fee. Then changed the amount to $20. Then told me she'd give me a free 8 x 10...

Coming back to pick up my prints - they tried to sell me again on "extra" prints they printed just in case I would want them. She did not include the 8 x 10 promised. Shady business you are running there. If you are going to run a "shell" game on a person...know your ###. I'm annoyed and will never be back. I will also tell everyone I know about this experience. Shame on you Sears...

• Rr
    rrockchalkfan Oct 06, 2009

I just wanted to let everyone know that not every studio or every manager is rude, disrespectful and uncaring. I am a studio manager for Sears Portrait Studios and I spend every moment I am at work ensuring that my customers leave completely satisfied with their experience. I do understand that there are some people who do not have the personality for this job please do not place all of us in this group

• We
    WES718 Dec 10, 2009

This place has about the WORST customer service. Some of the people need to learn the art of customer relations. Simple smile and patience is not much to ask for. Took my daughter to take pictures, this one young woman, whom was not at all ladylike, had attitudes, looked uninterested in the job, unable to make my daughter comfortable during the session.

Sears should hire more professionals, at least, make sure that customer satisfaction is achieved. Shame on Sears Valley Stream, NY Photo Studio. If she does not like the job, look for something else.

There was a young man, very courteous. I will not be doing business at this sears location. I guess Christina should get a class on professionalism.

Hello, my name is __________
    Are you Mr. __________ (not, This you!!!) I was shock!!!

This is not much to ask for!!!

• Xa
    Xana Dec 27, 2009

We have been using Sears Portrait Studios since January 1996, and we have seen them evolve with numerous changes since that time--some good. We've had great service (Wichita, Kansas) and the absolute worst (Longview and Tyler, Texas).

About a month ago, an employee at the Tyler, Texas studio called us to set up an appointment. It had been almost a year since our last visit, so I made an appointment thinking they were drumming for business and it would be fun. Over the next several weeks and employee from that office called us for various reasons, i.e., am we smile savers (yes!), how many people would be in the pictures, did we have coupons, and at least three appointment reminders, the last being the morning before our scheduled appointment. Yes, I assured the employee (again!) we would be there wearing big smiles at 10 am. I thought, "They must have a lot of no shows." We've never not shown up, though.

Six hours later, an employee from that studio called me to say they were overbooked and could not see us until 4 or 5:30. I canceled.

When I asked about all the confirmations and question phone calls, she new nothing about it. Just kept saying she was sorry. Not one to shoot the messenger, I asked to speak with a manager and she was out on vacation. I asked for the home office number and she gave me a number no longer in service. When I called the employee back for a different number, she advised me that was the only number she had.

We have a life and made plans around this 10am appointment that THEY solicited and they overbooked. We understand when things happen, but to overbook and not to have mentioned it in the last three phone calls?

Looking back, I think the calls reconfirming our appointment should have been my clue something was up. They were hoping SOMEONE would cancel. What a lousy way to run a business.

After reading some previous complaints here and how other customers were asked to spend more and various reasons surrounding the credibility of the coupons some had, I cant' help but wonder if we were chosen for cancellation BECAUSE we had coupons. If that's the case, then stop mailing the blasted coupons to us. Sheesh!

Moving on.

• Ok
    okcgal29 Jan 12, 2010

Okay, let me break it down for you. I have worked for the company you speak of, which, by the way, is not owned by Sears, but by a company known as CPI Corp, formerly PCA.

The employees are required to cold call customers, i.e., a customer on their computer list who hasn't been in in say 6 mos or a year. They have a script they are required to say. If you object, they have things they have to say to try to book appointments.

They are not trying to make you cancel. They really are required to call customers out of the blue. Then a person from another location sees their computer scheduled appointments, and that person in a call center far, far, far away is required to "confirm" your appointment. The day or two before your appointment, you will get another call or two. Again, employees are REQUIRED to make these confirmation calls. Employees hate doing it as much as customers hate getting the calls. They are then supposed to gather all your information, such as, do you have a coupon, what color clothing will you be wearing, how many people in the photograph, etc.

Things happen, appointments book up, you never know what happened. Maybe a newborn and a family of 12 got booked 30 minutes apart and that of course is nearly impossible for even the most experienced of photographers.

Plus the fact that this company wants its employees to be SALES ORIENTED not photography or customer oriented. The employees were just doing their job.

• Ok
    okcgal29 Jan 12, 2010

I can't speak to all of your many complaints; however, I do know that if you were wanting two of the advertised offer specials, that is AGAINST company policy.

I was told on MANY occasions that if I ever broke that rule, I would be fired ON THE SPOT.

Whether you have twins, triplets, quadruplets, or monkeys. ONE advertised special PER customer/family is THE COMPANY RULE.

I never cease to be amazed at people who want the rules broken just for them.

• St
    strader Jan 22, 2010

I just wanted to say I have spent money on photos at sears in massena new york. They never tryed to make the kids smile at all. They expect 15 minutes to take 5 kids pictures, and they were horrible. I went to k-mart and they spend all the time to make sure the kids smile. They give 30 minutes for time with your kids, thats a lot better than 15 minutes. I just am very upset with my photos. But I did find a better location to have my kids photos done at. My son smiled for every pose, that I had done. The location for the good work, is in watertown new york. That is jefferson county. Thank you

• Aa
    aaron ms Mar 31, 2010

which studio was it ?

• Aa
    aaron ms Mar 31, 2010

which studio was it oxmoor or jefferson mall?

safarimom Apr 11, 2010

Sears Portrait Studio is a rip off!

I took my son here for his 1st birthday pictures. The photographer was friendly enough, but the pictures were terrible! First of all, she only took like 20 photos so I didn't have many nice ones to choose from. My appointment was supposed to be for an hour, but she took the photos in less than 10 minutes. The backgrounds were ugly, dirty and stained, and the props were old and outdated. I bought the CD which includes 8 sheets of photos for a grand total of $180 bucks! I could have bought a very nice point-and-shoot camera for this price and taken better pics myself!!! I would never recommend this place to my family or friends--I would actually tell them to avoid this place at all costs!

• Ho
    Howard May 17, 2010

We went to the Sears Portrait at Cambridgeside Galleria and the photographer there was Amy. She is one of the most rude staff I've ever met.

When we got there for our appointment, she was out on her break, so we waited, and when she got back, she just nonchalantly told us to wait some more because she needed to edit some photos! When it was finally our turn to take photos, her attitude was terrible. Firstly, as this was our first time at taking professional shots we were a little nervous and didn't know how to pose. She not only made us feel uncomfortable but she was very rude in carrying out her instructions for us to pose in this or that manner. She even told me that "mdm, stop trying so hard, you're raising your eyebrows, bending too forward...", she said this in a very rude manner. I would have preferred her to tell this to me in a nicer tone. After all, aren't photographers meant to make you feel more relaxed and not more agitated?

The next day we came back to choose the photos. Again, Amy wasn't in the best of mood and after I chose all the photos, she keyed all the numbers in the computer. When she showed me all the ones I've chosen, they seemed a little less than what I chose, so I just looked more closely at my sheet of paper and tallied them up by myself. She said I looked as if I didn't trust her. I told her "i'm not doubting you but I just wanted to be sure thats all", and you know what she said after that? "you don't have to be so defensive about it"! I was shocked at her words.

I have never seen someone who so rude in the customer service line before, this I feel is something very unnecessary and uncalled for.

Amy also speaks very rudely to customers on the phone, while I was in the store, someone called, and Amy said "if you'd like to come to get your photos taken, don't come after 2pm, we're busy" and her tone of voice was not that friendly.

• Mu
    mutedworlds May 27, 2010

I worked at SPS for 2 years. CPI (SPS's mother company) told us employees WE HAVE to do a white background for at least 3 of our 8 poses (and we can only do 8 -10 poses we have to delete the extra before we show the pictures) and WE HAVE to excuse ourselves from sessions to answer phones and WE HAVE to schedule appointments a certain way. If we do it wrong or mess up or don't do something right we have to fill out disciplinary paper work. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. But your photographer was probably just trying not to get fired. So please, you've worked jobs where you did things you didn't actually want to do, have a little understanding. Thanks.

• Da
    danaya p Aug 03, 2010

i will no longer be giving sears portrait my business. three times i have tried to book an appointment to take pictures and every time i recieved a phone call with an excuse as to why they were unable to keep the appointment. they did offer to switch my appointment times BUT i do have other things going on in my life and cannot work my schedule around just because they cannot conduct their business properly. i have been dealing with sears portrait studio in va for years and have never experienced this lack of customer service, that is until movin to groton ct and attempting to take photos at crystal mall. from now on im usung jcp studio for my convienence.

• Tm
    tma031979 Sep 23, 2010

If you weren't happy with your pictures, you should call and speak with management. They should be able to reschedule for another shoot, and might be able to replace the sheets you ordered, and/or the portrait cd with the new images. The standard is usually like 10 or 12 shots that actually come out for you to view (they delete the blinking ones, etc) so if you saw 20, I'd say you did pretty good! And I know they encourage you to bring in your own props if you want. We brought our son's party theme decorations (just the bday hat and a big stuffed animal) to add a little something to a print. The lady after me had a big puffy chair with her daughter's name embroidered on it! I think this can probably be remedied! Don't give up yet. Sears always has done a great job for me and my son, and we've tried several other studios!

Charley'sAngel2010 Oct 03, 2010

I worked for SPS for 3 completely MISERABLE months, and in this months, I was more disillusioned than I have ever been. I have read a lot of these complaints, and I'm sorry to say that all you say is true. They do charge way more for pictures that really aren't any good. I really apologize for whatever they did to you, and I encourage you to complain to upper management, no matter how small the problem might seem...they are always big problems to a mom who doesn't get what she wants.

• Li
    littlemom Nov 15, 2010

My sister and I took our kids to take portraits to gve as a gift at our parent's anniversary. We each had a Sears coupon that consumers in line before us had no issues redeeming. As soon as we mentioned our coupons, the manager refused to honor them. She kept making anti semitic slurs at us and tried to get us to leave the studio. One of our children was crying during the shoot and the phootographer and manager claimed they were not allowed to finish the shoot with a crying child because of Sears' quality assurance guarantee - they refused to take or sell us pictures of the crying kid. I had to literally threaten to call the better business bureau with her name on the spot for her to end our session immediately and to let us purchase the HIDEOUS pictures she took of our kids. NEVER AGAIN. Each time I have been to Sears I have been appalled at the rudeness of their managers, how inept the photographers are, and the way they try to scam you into paying more. The worst part is all the compliements they get on parenting websites- who pays these people to praise Sears?? No one I know has had a good experience there.

• Cp
    CPI Corp Nov 15, 2010

To LittleMom,
    I work for CPI Corp, the company that owns and operates Sears Portrait Studios. I saw your post and I wanted to reach out to you regarding your experience. I’m sorry to hear that your experience was unsatisfactory and about the level of customer service you were provided. From what you’ve described, this does not reflect the standard we set for ourselves at Sears Portrait Studios. In order to resolve this issue, could you please email me at [email protected] with your contact information? I’d like to get some more information so that I can work to resolve this issue. Thank you for bringing this to our attention and I hope to hear from you soon!

• Ex
    EX- Cpi Nov 19, 2010

To little mom and the employee from cpi,
    I use to work for cpi for 5 years, I left a year ago. This is one of the worst company to work for. They send a lot of coupons out there and then put pressure on their employees to get the customer to spend a lot more. If they dont they can get fired or written up. Sears Portrait Studio is a riff off, they sell a CD for over $200 that cost them only pennies to make. To the CPI employee who responded to the message, before you believe everything you read, there is no excuse for anti semitic slurs but littlemom could be lying, because her kids were crying and she thinks it's the studios job to carm her child, they are not babysitters. Corporate office employees should get off their butts and go into the studios and get a feel of how it is to actually work there. These employees work their ### off and take all type of abuses so you can collect a paycheck. They work for minimum wage and deal with crying babies all day so you at the corporate office could collect your hundreds of thousand a year paycheck. You should be appreciative instead of ungrateful for all the hard work they do. One day there will be a walk out, no will actually show up in your studios to work and all corporate office employees will have to figure out what to do. I'm so happy I left.

• Ml
    MLC1973 Apr 01, 2011

I just went through a very similar situation at the Sears Portriat Studio that my children and I frequent. I took my daughter to have a 2nd birthday pictures taken and was rushed through the portriat session because there was a larger family ahead of us and because it was close to closing time. One of the managers from the Sears Retail store came in and was giving the photograher signs as to wrap it up and I was simply told by the photograher that she was sorry and that we were being put out and asked if I could come back the next day. I'm military and don't get off until late but tried to stop by there prior to my daughter's doctor appointment and the only thing I was rushed to do was pay for the highest package so I could at least share the cd with my family and it took forever for the cd to burn so we had to leave for the doctor and still didn't get to select the photos that I want. I made it back by a little after closing time at 8 pm but she was already gone. I was a little upset so I didn't look at the scheduled hours and drove back over there on Tuesday to find out that they were closed on Tuesdays, closes at 3 pm on Wednesdays and Thursdays and closes (I think at 5 pm) on Fridays so when I get off of work they'll still be no one there. I spend a LOT of money with Sears on pictures! Needless to sat I paid a LOT of money for pictures that I still haven't selcted and a cd that I still don't have in my possession... And the sad part of it all is if the photographer told me that if we had finished everything on Sunday when I originally went in I would've gotten the pictures back tomorrow, 2 April 2017. Now I wish she had just told me that she couldn't do it in the first place. I've tried calling the studio but can never get anyone on the phone either. : (

• Ph
    photo_chick Apr 15, 2011

safarimom: just because you had the photos taken does not mean that you were obligated to purchase them...you could have very easily asked for a re-shoot and brought in your own props to accent the pictures to your liking. I highly doubt that you were held down against your will and the money forced out of your wallet.
    also, a full hour in the studio for pictures? most places only reserve 30 minutes MAX and that is for large groups or graduation photos...

• My
    my_threecents May 10, 2011

I agree with you that 15 min is not a enough time to get great photos of a single subject much less 5 kiddos. As an employee/studio manager for the largest portrait chain in america it frustrates me to the fullest when appointments are booked on 15 min time slots, we at the studio level have NO control of the booking. If we try to rearrage customers we get written up or yelled at by customers. I have a passion for photography and a few years ago working for CPI Corp wasnt bad, today it is the worst company I have ever worked for! I should have left a long time ago but no I am in a postion that I either way I go I, as a single mom, will be screwed. I am sorry to hear about how you were treated, just keep in mind that the unhappiness rolls down hill and ends with the customers. Just as you had a horrible experence at the studio, the associates have had worse experences dealing with the company that cares only for the money that comes in the door...

• Cp
    CPIsucksalot Aug 06, 2011

I literally clocked out early from work today and quit from Sears Portrait Studio which was located at the once Sears Essentials store on Florida Avenue in Lakeland Florida, which is apparently changing over to Kmart. I walked off the job due to the ridiculous treatment I have had to deal with sense working with this company. The Sears Portrait Studio is going to become the first stand alone store inside a kmart.

Now to tell you what that means for our studio is that the store is going to be run to the ground because of a new manager being placed into the store when I have been working my butt off for almost a year and I actually have a college degree but no that doesn't matter. The current manager told me promises that she could not keep such as giving me more hours and that the manager was going to train me to become assistant manager. She told me this at the exact time she knew she was going to be leaving to be a manager for another studio. The new manager being placed into the studio is not going to help the studio because she has never been a manager before and she doesn't even have a college degree. The other major problem is that because of our studio going to a standalone studio all of our equipment is going to be from CPI and their equipment is CRAP it never works. This company doesn't provide any new equipment and does not provide people who actually know how to fix equipment to come out and fix our stuff. Us the employee has to call tech support and tell them about our problem and then stand on ladders and try not to get electricuted by faulty equipment.

I don't know how many times I have had to sit and wait on hold too with tech support while serving customers, taking pictures that come out like crap because of messed up equipment. Now our credit card system is going to all go through them which I can assure you will go down every day. Customers complain about the fact that we are not allowed to have more then one employee working at a time and therefore I am expected to do everything and run around like a chicken with my head cut off. I am tired of: apologizing for things that are not even my fault, having to work for crap pay, people yelling at me, going out in the store and being the companies advertiser when they have enough money to advertise they just bought out Bella Pictures, those dang coupons they send out for tons of free pictures and they wonder why our numbers are down (Mcdonalds doesn't give out free stuff all the time like this and they are fast food), tired of their constant changing outreach and collections and they wonder why their employees don't know how to get their customers into a collection it is because the prices keep increasing even though the economy is bad, and I am tired of working off clock to do the end of the night closing CRAP that takes forever, and I am tired of working through my lunch breaks when I need to eat right so that I can breast feed and pump milk.

I did not start off in this studio either I started in the Brandon studio which was by far the worst studio ever. The lady who hired me was the rudest lady I think I have ever met and she hired me telling me that I would get to work as a photographer. The whole time I worked for her she made me pass these tests that she setup for me such as taking photographs of a bear and it had to be in the exact order she wanted them in or she would get really angry with me. I only got to photograph maybe two times of real people once was of a family with a mother, father, and a one year old and the second time was of an infant. But, she said I did neither of them right and therefore I had to watch her everytime and let me remind you I have a college degree in photography. Most of the time she pushed me to the sales table when I was not comfortable in that position and I told her that at the time. I had no idea that I was supposed to do both photography and sales before I went into working for this company I really had no experience in sales. So, when I sold she would get real angry saying that I just lost a customer from coming back to the studio because of you. She would only let me sell to new customers and therefore she would say it every time you just lost another customer. Finally I had enough because I told her I wanted to be a photographer not just a sales associate and I did not appreciate the way she was treating me, so she pushed me off onto another studio the Lakeland Mall because she finally came out and said oh we really didn't need a photographer we just need a sales associate and also all the sales I made went under her personal number as if she just wanted to be a photographer and not a sales person so she could pretend that it was her sales. Of course at the time I did not know we had personal numbers for our sales. She did not even give me any of the information about how to recieve or where I could find my payment info, Associate tests on the cpi site, the discrimination or workers rights, or my job discription.

Once I transfered to the Lakeland Mall I was given more hours due to the holiday season but of course that fell once the season was over. The major issue I ran into was that I found out I was pregnant. This was the talk of the other employees when I wasn't around apparently because one of the employees who had a very big mouth and acted like she was an assistant manager came out and told me that "people are wondering if you drink a lot because you have a big belly hanging over your pants". Not only did she say this comment but before that she had asked me if I drink a lot of alcoholic drinks and she would constantly talk about her sex life saying things that shouldn't be said in a work environment I was very offended by her. The work environment was very disgusting due to not only the conversations but the dirtyness of the studio and the constant smoking breaks the employees including the manager would take even when there were customers going to come for their appointment in less then 5 minutes. I was able to sell and photograph at this studio but still was not given enough hours during the off season and therefore I was pushed to the Sears Essentials Portrait studio due to that fact that they actually needed someone because the manager was the only one working there at the time, which I just quit from now.

• Cd
    cdeepthi Oct 29, 2011

Sears portrait studio has increased the prices of their traditional (natural color sheets with no enhancements) to 20$ .
    I just became a supersaver member so I could buy more pictures for the holiday. But unfortunately Sears has simply doubled their prices from 9.99 to 20$ which is atrocious.

• Br
    brehell Nov 25, 2011

My kids were so excited to get their picture taken yet they went home crying from not getting their picture taken. We stood there for fifteen minutes and the lady would not acknowledge my presence even when I said excuse me. Then a couple came in after me and the lady smiled and said right this way. When I asked why they went first, instead of saying they had an earlier appointment, she said, while rolling her eyes, they had child ssues don't you know what that is! So I said ok we will be back and her and the manager said yea whatever.

jaylopp Nov 25, 2011

I have had a couple of horrible experiences. When I walked into a studio in Puyallup, WA they make me feel as if I am bugging them by simply being there at my scheduled appointment or as if it is my fault for being at a 1:30pm appointment scheduled by their 800 service number when they close for lunch at 2pm. Sorry, but I didn't know their store hours so why should I suffer the consequences of poor service? On a second occassion, they treated me the same way, buttered my butt when they were taking the photos, then asked me to look around while they uploaded my pictures since they said it would take about 10 minutes. So I look in the children's department for about 8 minutes (still within site of the photo counter), return and they sold portraits to a customer who had his pictures taken after me. After 15 more minutes of waiting a lady was about to take me back into the photo room when I said I already did this part. The lady who told me it would take 10 minutes to upload my pictures and who sold to someone after said she still hadn't uploaded my portraits and it would take additional time. I was so mad I bought the bare minimum and left. The third time, at a store in tacoma (I know I was stupid to return but I had the stupid Smiles Savers card and wanted my money's worth...bad decision), I was promised a manager would take my children's photos since they were making up for my previous poor experience. The girl was sweet as can be, took tons of photos and did not rush me at all. When we were finished, she took us to the computers, said she just started 3 days prior and had no idea how to operate them or sell. She said take a look and someone would sell to us. No one helped us for 45 minutes. We sat, sighed, and waited. Finally someone helped us. While she took our "order" (again the bare minimum because I was livid), another girl came over wondering how to do something which prolonged the purchasing portion of the session. Eventually the lady left us again and went to the counter where she talked to someone else. We sat there not knowing what to do and eventually walked up to the counter to pay where we waited another 10 minutes (no customers were there). We left angry and not happy with the service. So then I waited for the pictures to upload online where I could look at the pictures and buy some more since I could not focus in the store. It has been a week and still no portraits loaded onto their site. I have written them two complaints...still no response. I have also posted to their facebook. I will pay the extra money for a real photographer and get less but more professional portraits where the service is better than to "get what I paid for" from Sears Photo Studio. I am a loyal customer and they have more than lost any ounce of loyalty or reference from me.

• Ad
    Adam1 Dec 05, 2011

We printed out a coupon for, "free photo shoot, collage portrait, and 20% off the total price. After we had our pictures taken we were offered there packages. We took the cheapest one available at $199.99. They then checked us out, took my money, and set a date to pick up the pictures. After leaving I noticed that they charged $169.98 then taxed the amount for a total of $181.88. Since they were closed I decided that when I go back to pick up the pictures I will get my 10 dollars back and point out that they incorrectly figured the percentage off.
    When I went to pick up my pictures they argued with me that 30 is 20% off 200. Then after getting out a calculator and confirming that it should have been 40 off they offered me this reasoning. "The person who took your pictures must have decided that the free collage portrait was not nice and gave you another one costing $10." Well this was never mentioned to me and is not shown on the receipt. At the time they put an extra picture in my package for the "inconvenience", but would not give any money back. I then made the mistake of leaving with the "extra picture". After contacting everyone I could in Sears I am being told that since I took the extra picture I can not get my $10 back.
    It's not that its a lot of money but it is the idea behind it. Very bad business, very big mistake on my part. Please watch out for them and go somewhere else for your family pictures. They may treat it like "who cares it's only 1 customer". But they lost a lot of future business from me and I will tell everyone I can about them.

• Gr
    Gregory WG Dec 23, 2011

My kids stopped taking photos from Sears since the price is too high. We used to spend 150 dollars for our 4 boys during Christmas time. However this year, it is just too much and I just have to give up our tradition from now on.

• Do
    Dominique D-Kyles Jan 20, 2012

I have left messages on the Alderwood Sears Portrait Studio voice mail five times. They returned my call back twice, call when I called back I could never connect with any one live. So, called again twice... left days and times when I would like so come in with my children. But, no return call this time. So, went online schedule appt. and now I'm second guessing why I should even go and spend my money there... Plus, I'm reading all these complaints, I think I will cancel my appointment and go somewhere else.

Charlotte25 May 13, 2012

You were given the wrong information. Natural color sheets are 9.99. Sheets with enhancements are 19.99.

• Sp
    Sps employee Jul 19, 2012

Fyi employees do not get compensation for replacing ANYTHING in the studio. Do you want to spend YOUR money on something for a company that really couldn't care less about you? Trust me, employees sweat their rear ends off in the camera rooms they are spending 8 hrs a day in.

• Ph
    Photo19841986 Aug 25, 2012

I am a former employee of the sears portrait studio. I have seen employees that are just lazy and they call to say they are booked and they are really wide open for apt. I advise you to go to the searsportraits.com and select book apt and see how book they really are... This company has had 8 new district managers in the time I was there then after I quit 2 more had been replaced ask your self what does that say about a company???????? And as for the coupons no they don't think of you as coming in with a coupon lets cancel her apt no no no !!! That is not the case at all they want to get you in there and twist it around to say well you can't combine this coupon with that one because of sales !!! I seen very dishonest people do this so I know I even told my customers the next time they came back to ask for me and I would help them with the coupons I got my belly full of hearing the lies, seeing the place look like a pig pen, and most of all seeing my customer(friends) being treated this way I am so proud to say I left on a fri night I didn't say anything just walked out and started my own photography business and god has helped me fulfill my dream without all the extra stress from sears portrait studio

J Otto Apr 08, 2013

I have a gift certificate from a baby shower for Sears Portrait Studios and no one will let me know what that company will be doing abou the Gift Certificates now that it is closed.

• Ba
    Baby needs pics Apr 25, 2013

I have the same problem. Sears won't tell me anything... seems like Sears would want to protect their brand and at least give an in-store gift card.

• Pb
    pbjbmom May 17, 2013

I am having the same problem. My issue is if I could use Sears gift cards at the studio then why isn't Sears willing to pay for the portrait certificate. It's valued at 100.

• Sh
    Sharon James-Beabout May 24, 2013

Our local Walmart portrait studio was also owned by Sears...I was called by the Manager who told me they were "shutting it down" at Walmart, to come pick up my photos NOW or I wouldn't get them. This lady had worked for them for over 15 years!!! I went to pick up my photos...the first photos of my 2 baby Granddaughters...one who was moving to Florida the next month. I had coupons for 2 large 20x14 (???) size photos and ordered one of each Grandaughter and I was told they would be maild to me and I have NEVER got them...you go to the website...and its shut down!!! Take resposibility for your sister studio's actions and SEND ME MY PHOTOS SEARS!!! I have had my Grandson's photos made at Sears since they were born and I have spent a ton of money...I am a member of the Sears portrait club...they don't care...and Walmart should be demanding they make things right as well!!!