Sears Kenmore Elite He 3t Washer / Washing MachineLeaks/Shreds laundry

We purchased this model when our previous Kenmore front-loading washer died (Model 26-41042 - bearings fried). Reviews showed it to perform reliably and function efficiently, and our previous experience with Kenmore made it a comfortable choice.

8 wash cycles (including a Clean Washer cycle) make it easy to differentiate level of cleaning for different materials. Soil level options, as well as 5 wash temperature choices and 5 spin-speed settings add further refinement to the cycle settings best for your needs. Generous 4.0 cubic foot capacity is claimed to be able to handle 23 bath towels.

We have 10 years of front-loading washing machine ownership, and absolutely LOVE the performance - WHEN IT WORKS CORRECTLY. Clothes are visibly cleaner, rinse cleaner, smell fresher and dry more quickly (owing to the amount of water removed during the spin cycle) than our top-loading machines ever did. The energy savings (in reduced water, electric and gas bills) was immediately noticable. We are a three kid, 1 dog, active-family. There's a LOT of laundry to do here, and it gets DIRTY.

HOWEVER, From week 1, the unit has leaked and items become trapped within the door gasket, getting absolutely SHREDDED during the spin cycle.

Service call 1: within weeks of delivery/installation unit leaks during rinse/spin cycles; advised over phone that unit must be out of balance, needs to be leveled. Service tech accused ME of installing it incorrectly even though I had it installed by Sears. Found no issues with unit being out of level. No diagnosis for cause of leaking.

Service call 2: within first 6 months; service tech doesn't know why it's leaking; door seals tightly, basket operates correctly, unit is leveled appropriately; recommends NOT washing jeans, throw rugs, or quilts or using hot water

Service call 3: within first 8 months; items becoming caught in front gasket weekly/items destroyed by this monthly; tech tries to regale ME with what I am doing wrong- wrong soap (I use HE detergent as specifically recommended), wrong items (again, don't wash jeans, throw rugs, beach towels), my loads are too small (is he kidding? I have 3 kids and a dog!), shouldn't use hot water ever (REALLY?); diagnosis, shredded laundry and leaking all MY fault, though no specific reason why. All of his recommendations are the precise OPPOSITE of the guidance offered by the unit's owner's manual (except for using HE detergent).

Even with the purchase of a "Master Protection Agreement", Sears insists on having ANOTHER technician come out, presumably so that I can be accused of abusing my machine by secretly running a laundry service out of my basement.

I have absolutely NO CONFIDENCE in this unit/model nor the protection agreement that I paid for. Good job, Sears. You've lost a LONG TIME Kenmore customer completely. Well done.

Leaks/Shreds laundry
Leaks/Shreds laundry

• Pd
    pdcd davis Feb 23, 2010

I have the same machine, and also have leaking problems. We replaced the bellow back in 2007. It is leaking again. We had called a Sears service tech, and was ripped off with a bunch of lies.